Huntington Beach, CA
Huntington Beach Central Park Share
Uploaded By: Apothecary Hole #10 (Taken 2/2010)
3 / 320ft.   3 / 270ft.   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:

1    6/2/2013   6/2/2013
Review By: astomps
Pros: +grass is cut short like a golf course
+like the rubber pads
+pro shop and all that comes with it
Cons: -crowded
-heavily used
-very few challenging shots
-given amount of casual players, there is a lot of errant shots that play into other fairways

Other Thoughts: pancake flat, putter/mid course

1    10/12/2012   5/12/2013
Review By: donny vomit
Pros: Well cut lawns,signage ,and a feel of a real ball golf course, pro shop, three practice baskets.
Cons: Didn't have any maybe the buck they charge to play, but they have to pay for the gas to cut the grass so it a no biggie to me ,
Other Thoughts: This place rocks second oldest permanent course,this place really makes you feel like ur on a real golf course.the fairways are cut just like a real golf course. Its not really a park with picnic tables out in the course so peeps don't walk around to get in your way. At least it didn't seem that way. It has a cool vibe. We played at 645 am and we were first on the course. By the 2nd hole peeps were already behind us , so I can see why it gets backed up quick. Had a great time and payed after our round was over even tho we could have bailed without paying. Definately a must if ur in the Huntington beach area.

my local course

5+    12/30/2012   1/5/2013
Review By: DannyThunders
Pros: A classic in disc golf, second course ever built , awesome course for RHBH , a result of it's age i suppose. Awesome locals , plenty of very friendly people to play with. Cool pro shop with Innova and legacy discs , Don't be afraid of ask them for advice either , they will offer it willingly. I absolutely love hole's 8 , 9 , 16 , 17 and 18 (I'm LHBH) Every other hole requires a challenging turnover or sidearm shot for me. Challenging shots on a few holes (15 comes to mind with the tree gap shot) .
Cons: Slippery rubber teepads , very RHBH oriented , wish there was more variety in the shots , can get pretty crowded as this is where MANY orange county people go on weekends , $1 fee on weekdays and $2 fee on weekends. Alot of "chuckers" come out here to act like douche's and clog up fairways, but any disc golfer is a good disc golfer.
Other Thoughts: Living 10-15 mins away has forced me to play this course often , but i love it for the challenge it brings LHBH people. I would definitely visit this course if you're in the beach cities as it is a classic and has alot to offer.

Historic Huntington Beach

5+    12/12/2012   12/12/2012
Review By: nuttinbutchain
This review was updated on 2/25/2014
Pros: -2nd DG course ever built in the world, awesome sense of historicness
-3 practice putting baskets, awesome!
-challenging, wide variety of shots
-no super long holes, but many holes were ~300-350 ft
-there are short holes, but not without obstacles
-there's some OB, but minimal. And mandatories are clearly defined and keep the holes interesting
-some narrow gap shots
-treacherous cliff hanger baskets with "death roll" possibilities
-a couple of small uphill shots
-not free, but only $1 to play on weekdays and $2 on weekends
-friendly locals
Cons: -some holes don't have any signage
-despite friendly locals, i witnessed some one try to jack one of my guide's disk (more on this below)
-can be muddy
-intersecting holes, look around when you hear "FORE"...someone almost got pelted with a disc in my 2nd group. Also, I happened to throw in front of another hole's teepad and had to wait for everyone to finish teeing off before going for my shot.
Other Thoughts: I really liked this course alot. Despite the reviews about negative crowds here, I beg to differ. I went 2 rounds; 1st round with one local and 2nd round with a group of people. Both were extremely nice, hospitable, and helpful (thanks Jesse, Sean, Alex, Mike, and Ryan). However I did see someone try to steal my 1st local guide's disk. We witnessed him pick up the disk, he tried to deny it, then forked it over after my guide pressed the issue (what a tool!). My first guide said most people are chill here, but every now and then there's shady folk to keep an eye out for. This course is not too technical, but its not easy either.

There are course maps, but try to play with the locals. From my experience, they're both friendly and helpful.

Favorite holes-
-Hole 2,5, and 6 (cliff hanger baskets with potential death rolls)
-Hole 8 (Flat hole, many possible throws here...threw my biggest roller ever)
-Hole 13 (you throw over a small hill, but there's a sudden drop in elevation beyond the hill making your throw seem bigger than it is...definitely an ego booster)
-Hole 14 (though I sucked at this hole, it's a cool uphill shot)
-Hole 18 (cool way to end the round, definitely a challenging par if you have a short drive

Overall I highly recommend this course and will definitely be back again.

Why so small?

1    9/8/2012   9/8/2012
Review By: Mabuku1
Pros: Um. . .
three practice pins.
Rubber tee mats is the best thing about this place.
Short pins make you feel like a pro because you get to every basket in one throw.
Cons: 18 pins on 2acres.
One porta-potty by proshop/shipping container.
For how much money they make in one day, you would expect tee signs at every hole. Where's the money going?
every fairway is for three holes.
Thirty parking spots and was full at 10:00 am.
Super crowded and locals take breaks and then just cut back in rotation when they feel like it.
Always a chance to split someone's head as every hole is on top of eachother except hole #1.
Two thirds if not three quarters of the course is just a huge sand/dirt dust bowl.
Unable to enter pro shop to select discs as it is just a shipping container with a window cut out of it like a snack shack. I prefer to pickup discs and feel how they are before I have to ask clerk for help. Helps me decide that I will buy something rather than having to ask to see every disc.
Other Thoughts: Too far to want to go back for, in my opinion was, a overrated course. Maybe it was awesome decades ago.

good starter course

5+    7/31/2012   7/31/2012
Review By: willkelley
This review was updated on 5/3/2013
Pros: Nice baskets
Pro shop available
Variety of shots including some technical shots
Nice signs
Multiple pin placements
Cons: Too many people
Limited parking
Fairways cross paths
Other Thoughts: This is a solid 3. Happy to have this as my home course. The only major drawback is the people. This course is always busy. Don't expect to get a round in super quick unless you come early. By noon, the course is full and parking probably is too. UPDATE: I have increased my ranking because of course improvements. It's definitely on its way with new flags on the baskets and different skill shots added. Keep the improvements coming! I would love to see this course be a 4 disc course!

I don't mind paying, but I wish they had a better discount for season passes. For $20 you get a monthly pass that expires after 30 days. So you have to go every weekend in a month plus four weekdays on top of that in order to make it worth it.

I'll Try

5+    7/22/2012   7/27/2012
Review By: thugjitsu
Pros: Great layout
Nice area that doesnt get overly hot
Nice proshop
Course is well maintained
Great use of the limited area
Cons: Locals are not very friendly and do not let you play through 80% of the time
I personally dislike the rubber teepads but I am getting use to them
Slippery when wet as the gravel/mud stuff is nasty
Tough to navigate for first timers
Other Thoughts: I hated Hunington when i first played it but have grown to like it more and more. However, the locals are not the friendliest and act like the own the whole place, which, leaves a bad taste in my mouth sometimes. Don't be discouraged they're not all like that, the beach humor is a bit different that other areas. Your missing out if you dont stop by and play because despite there not being any real long holes it is quite challenging.

Overrated

5+    6/22/2012   6/28/2012
Review By: TheSinator
Pros: The guys in the pro shop are really nice. When I was a beginner, they were very helpful about answering questions I had about form, discs, etc.

I like the challenge of #3 and #4, both of which are uphill shots with some very challenging tree placement. Other than that, I'm not a huge fan of the hole design.
Cons: This course is verrry crowded, especially on weekends. And the locals are not very good about letting you play through, which especially sucks because there are more big groups (6 or more) that play this course than any other in the area.

Another weird thing is the parking lot scene. There's all these cigarette-smoking bros that, I swear, must live in the parking lot. Between this and the unfriendliness of groups not letting singles or quick pairs play through, gives the course a bad vibe.

Also:
- For how often this course is played by regulars, you'd think they'd change the pin placements a lot more often.
- Can get very windy at times.
- Very dusty in the summer and muddy in the winter.
- The signage at the course is pretty worn out in places.
Other Thoughts: I highly recommend playing this course before 10am, if possible. The traffic is much better.

Worth it

1    6/21/2012   6/26/2012
Review By: waywu2001
Pros: I commend the park for good use of its hills and trees. There were definitely a few holes that demanded unique flight paths. I was also concerned about wind being so close to the beach but it was not overwhelming.
Cons: Boy, was it crowded. I guess the fee doesn't deter many people. Some of the groups were annoyingly large but they were all behind us. I'll hope that they had the ediquette to let others pass. Also, with such a tight course, it had its moments when it was difficult to determine the correct basket. This is probably only a concern for visitors though.
Other Thoughts: I'm very excited to play this course again in the future.

1    6/21/2012   6/21/2012
Review By: MightyJeff
Pros: -Only course around for miles
-Nice sense of history - second permanent course in the world!
-Mature trees and the occasional steep hill make for welcome obstacles to an otherwise flat, open course
Cons: -Pretty crowded. You'll have to wait more than once, and the 6-players-per-group rule isn't really enforced.
-The description for the course says it's hilly and challenging. It's neither. It may have been challenging in the early days of disc golf, but these days with increasingly creative course designs, it's pretty tame. Regarding the hills, I mean, there are a couple, but really they just blind the basket from the perspective of the tee.
-Course upkeep is kind of an issue. There were missing tee signs, beat up baskets, and erosion issues. Given how crowded this course can get, I'm really not that surprised.
-You have to pay $1 for your round. Yeah, it's only a buck, but it's the principle of the thing. One of the beautiful things about disc golf is that you get to throw in beautiful parks that are free. I've played on much, much better courses without having to pull out my wallet.
Other Thoughts: If you're in Southern California, this course is definitely worth a stop. It's not going to blow you away with how challenging it is, but it's one of the first courses, and you get to see how disc golf is done in SoCal.