Huntington Beach, CA
Huntington Beach Central Park Share
Uploaded By: Apothecary Hole #16 (Taken 2/2010)
3 / 420ft.   3 / 220ft.   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:

Historic Huntington Beach

5+    12/12/2012   12/12/2012
Review By: nuttinbutchain
This review was updated on 2/25/2014
Pros: -2nd DG course ever built in the world, awesome sense of historicness
-3 practice putting baskets, awesome!
-challenging, wide variety of shots
-no super long holes, but many holes were ~300-350 ft
-there are short holes, but not without obstacles
-there's some OB, but minimal. And mandatories are clearly defined and keep the holes interesting
-some narrow gap shots
-treacherous cliff hanger baskets with "death roll" possibilities
-a couple of small uphill shots
-not free, but only $1 to play on weekdays and $2 on weekends
-friendly locals
Cons: -some holes don't have any signage
-despite friendly locals, i witnessed some one try to jack one of my guide's disk (more on this below)
-can be muddy
-intersecting holes, look around when you hear "FORE"...someone almost got pelted with a disc in my 2nd group. Also, I happened to throw in front of another hole's teepad and had to wait for everyone to finish teeing off before going for my shot.
Other Thoughts: I really liked this course alot. Despite the reviews about negative crowds here, I beg to differ. I went 2 rounds; 1st round with one local and 2nd round with a group of people. Both were extremely nice, hospitable, and helpful (thanks Jesse, Sean, Alex, Mike, and Ryan). However I did see someone try to steal my 1st local guide's disk. We witnessed him pick up the disk, he tried to deny it, then forked it over after my guide pressed the issue (what a tool!). My first guide said most people are chill here, but every now and then there's shady folk to keep an eye out for. This course is not too technical, but its not easy either.

There are course maps, but try to play with the locals. From my experience, they're both friendly and helpful.

Favorite holes-
-Hole 2,5, and 6 (cliff hanger baskets with potential death rolls)
-Hole 8 (Flat hole, many possible throws here...threw my biggest roller ever)
-Hole 13 (you throw over a small hill, but there's a sudden drop in elevation beyond the hill making your throw seem bigger than it is...definitely an ego booster)
-Hole 14 (though I sucked at this hole, it's a cool uphill shot)
-Hole 18 (cool way to end the round, definitely a challenging par if you have a short drive

Overall I highly recommend this course and will definitely be back again.

Why so small?

1    9/8/2012   9/8/2012
Review By: Mabuku1
Pros: Um. . .
three practice pins.
Rubber tee mats is the best thing about this place.
Short pins make you feel like a pro because you get to every basket in one throw.
Cons: 18 pins on 2acres.
One porta-potty by proshop/shipping container.
For how much money they make in one day, you would expect tee signs at every hole. Where's the money going?
every fairway is for three holes.
Thirty parking spots and was full at 10:00 am.
Super crowded and locals take breaks and then just cut back in rotation when they feel like it.
Always a chance to split someone's head as every hole is on top of eachother except hole #1.
Two thirds if not three quarters of the course is just a huge sand/dirt dust bowl.
Unable to enter pro shop to select discs as it is just a shipping container with a window cut out of it like a snack shack. I prefer to pickup discs and feel how they are before I have to ask clerk for help. Helps me decide that I will buy something rather than having to ask to see every disc.
Other Thoughts: Too far to want to go back for, in my opinion was, a overrated course. Maybe it was awesome decades ago.

good starter course

5+    7/31/2012   7/31/2012
Review By: willkelley
This review was updated on 5/3/2013
Pros: Nice baskets
Pro shop available
Variety of shots including some technical shots
Nice signs
Multiple pin placements
Cons: Too many people
Limited parking
Fairways cross paths
Other Thoughts: This is a solid 3. Happy to have this as my home course. The only major drawback is the people. This course is always busy. Don't expect to get a round in super quick unless you come early. By noon, the course is full and parking probably is too. UPDATE: I have increased my ranking because of course improvements. It's definitely on its way with new flags on the baskets and different skill shots added. Keep the improvements coming! I would love to see this course be a 4 disc course!

I don't mind paying, but I wish they had a better discount for season passes. For $20 you get a monthly pass that expires after 30 days. So you have to go every weekend in a month plus four weekdays on top of that in order to make it worth it.

I'll Try

5+    7/22/2012   7/27/2012
Review By: thugjitsu
Pros: Great layout
Nice area that doesnt get overly hot
Nice proshop
Course is well maintained
Great use of the limited area
Cons: Locals are not very friendly and do not let you play through 80% of the time
I personally dislike the rubber teepads but I am getting use to them
Slippery when wet as the gravel/mud stuff is nasty
Tough to navigate for first timers
Other Thoughts: I hated Hunington when i first played it but have grown to like it more and more. However, the locals are not the friendliest and act like the own the whole place, which, leaves a bad taste in my mouth sometimes. Don't be discouraged they're not all like that, the beach humor is a bit different that other areas. Your missing out if you dont stop by and play because despite there not being any real long holes it is quite challenging.

Overrated

5+    6/22/2012   6/28/2012
Review By: TheSinator
Pros: The guys in the pro shop are really nice. When I was a beginner, they were very helpful about answering questions I had about form, discs, etc.

I like the challenge of #3 and #4, both of which are uphill shots with some very challenging tree placement. Other than that, I'm not a huge fan of the hole design.
Cons: This course is verrry crowded, especially on weekends. And the locals are not very good about letting you play through, which especially sucks because there are more big groups (6 or more) that play this course than any other in the area.

Another weird thing is the parking lot scene. There's all these cigarette-smoking bros that, I swear, must live in the parking lot. Between this and the unfriendliness of groups not letting singles or quick pairs play through, gives the course a bad vibe.

Also:
- For how often this course is played by regulars, you'd think they'd change the pin placements a lot more often.
- Can get very windy at times.
- Very dusty in the summer and muddy in the winter.
- The signage at the course is pretty worn out in places.
Other Thoughts: I highly recommend playing this course before 10am, if possible. The traffic is much better.

Worth it

1    6/21/2012   6/26/2012
Review By: waywu2001
Pros: I commend the park for good use of its hills and trees. There were definitely a few holes that demanded unique flight paths. I was also concerned about wind being so close to the beach but it was not overwhelming.
Cons: Boy, was it crowded. I guess the fee doesn't deter many people. Some of the groups were annoyingly large but they were all behind us. I'll hope that they had the ediquette to let others pass. Also, with such a tight course, it had its moments when it was difficult to determine the correct basket. This is probably only a concern for visitors though.
Other Thoughts: I'm very excited to play this course again in the future.

1    6/21/2012   6/21/2012
Review By: MightyJeff
Pros: -Only course around for miles
-Nice sense of history - second permanent course in the world!
-Mature trees and the occasional steep hill make for welcome obstacles to an otherwise flat, open course
Cons: -Pretty crowded. You'll have to wait more than once, and the 6-players-per-group rule isn't really enforced.
-The description for the course says it's hilly and challenging. It's neither. It may have been challenging in the early days of disc golf, but these days with increasingly creative course designs, it's pretty tame. Regarding the hills, I mean, there are a couple, but really they just blind the basket from the perspective of the tee.
-Course upkeep is kind of an issue. There were missing tee signs, beat up baskets, and erosion issues. Given how crowded this course can get, I'm really not that surprised.
-You have to pay $1 for your round. Yeah, it's only a buck, but it's the principle of the thing. One of the beautiful things about disc golf is that you get to throw in beautiful parks that are free. I've played on much, much better courses without having to pull out my wallet.
Other Thoughts: If you're in Southern California, this course is definitely worth a stop. It's not going to blow you away with how challenging it is, but it's one of the first courses, and you get to see how disc golf is done in SoCal.

Fun and Challenging

1    12/10/2011   12/10/2011
Review By: SteveDG
Pros: I am a bit partial to this course. This is the first course I played Disc Golf on. I'll try to keep it unbiased.

This is a multi-level course. It is a bit technical both in the wooded areas, distance, and dog-legs. The front nine play with the first pad on a bluff above the Basket. The basket is closer than you think because the disc will travel further because of the height. On the third and fourth pads have you throwing up to the basket. these two are challenging, especially the third, as the "B" pin takes a dog-leg right. If you don't hit it just right your disc rolls out of bounds.

The seventh basket is my nemesis. It plays right along the side of a bluff. any wind coming off the ocean will direct your drive OB. This basket is also heavily wooded so drive a bit to the right as a right handed backhand thrower to keep it from the abyss.

With the exception of ten and eleven, the back nine are moderately wooded with long drives. It is not as challenging as the front nine. Ten and eleven play right next to a horse trail on the left, which is OB, and heavily wooded on the right. It must be straight or you my be flirting with road-apples.
Cons: Some consider it a con to pay a course fee. For those people I warn you that there is a $1 fee for weekdays and $2 on the weekends.

I've lost a disc in the thick weeds off of the first basket drive. The city does hack it down a couple times a year. Right now its low enough that finding a disc is reasonable.

Bathroom is a port-a-potty.
Other Thoughts: Every Wednesday they coordinate a tournament with winnings of Pro-Shop credits. Entry fees are $8 for tourny.

All in all this is one of my favorite courses to date.

a must play!

2-4    10/9/2011   10/18/2011
Review By: dirtyc
Pros: very challenging shots. anything from dogleg lefts/rights to baskets on a hill. nice blind shots and some far bombing shots. evey time i have been there its always maintained well.
Cons: kind of a over lapping coarse and its very easy to confuse what basket your going to be throwing to. deffently get a map the first time you play. otherwise your going to be very lost

Classic!

1    7/9/2011   7/9/2011
Review By: clipnfly
Pros: Nice varied 18 holes. Clean park. Pro shop in site. DG portion of the park has little or no overlap (only holes 2, 4) with rest of park and other park users. Maps and score cards avail FREE at pro shop. Pro shop guy was nice and helpful. Chilled Nutty bars are a HUGE +
Cons: Signage is missing on many holes. Layout is packed pretty tight for a full 18 on a small space. Some hole overlap and some transition confusion on a few holes if you do not have the map. A few baskets are blind, again w/o a map, might be confusing.
Other Thoughts: Had to play here. Saw that it is over 30 years old and 2nd course on planet. A must-visit. A great look at how the game was prior to the wide rim, big arm game of today. Not a lot of hole variety. Virtually no annie shots to be found here... likely a throwback to the old days before disc stability control was what it is today. Front 9 play on and around the ridge line and use the elevation well. Back 9 use the upper plateau area and trees for a flatter course. 1 plays blind down the ridge. 2 plays to a basket on a slope with big penalty for a missed putt. 3 was one of my faves with the basket tucked back into the trees the day I was here. I saw alt basket spot and the current set up is preferred. Sloped fairway is a nice feature, too. 4 is a short up and over. 5 and 6 are simple slight hyzers at mid distance. 7 is a straight shot with good use of trees and BIG penalty for a wayward upshot as the basket area to the left falls off the steep ridge. been there, Done that. 8 is really the beginning of the "back 9" as it plays across the flat and uses some trees. Basket can be confusing on 9 as the practice baskets are all in the basket area. 10 plays a bit close to the road. An overshoot is to be in the street. 11 hugs the fence line. 11 and 12 use the trees well. 13 plays to the back corner and the trees and the slope away from the tee are both done well. Tees for 14 and 5 are all together. 14, 15, 16, 17 play pretty much straight forward. The BIG tree on 16 is just beautiful to play around. 18 is nicely tucked amongst the trees. Mandos are well marked and make sense where they are used. Overall this course gets a 2.5 and I am adding a full addtl point for its classic status. Not a big arm place, but a good course to understand the game and enjoy playing it. Locals were all quite nice as I was playing alone and played through a few parties. Course is free of trash. Kudos to the locals on this as well. If I had to pick a signature hole here it would be 3 or 13.