Huntington Beach, CA
Huntington Beach Central Park Share
Uploaded By: Apothecary Hole #6 (Taken 2/2010)
3 / 319ft.   3 / 243ft.   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Second oldest!

1    3/30/2014   4/2/2014
Review By: forehandfranz
Pros: It was neat to play the "Second Oldest" disc golf course in the world after playing the oldest a couple days ago! And it has a very different feel indeed. I can see how pro player Paul McBeth honed his distance game here, as this course is very open, playing in a grassy area that has some scattered trees to shape the fairways.

Don't get me wrong - it's not wide open, a handful of holes are more technical with narrow gaps through the trees, but most holes have tree danger much later in the fairways, which means that you can often uncork some distance before you encounter the obstacles. My favorite holes were 3 & 4 as they offered the most trees and elevation on the course and made me "think" about shot execution.

The course is fairly flat, but sits on a bluff, so several holes are affected by this modest slope and the design utilizes it on about 6 holes. But it also affects a couple of the upper holes that have his drop off on their edge (6 & 7) which can make putting hell if you go to the bottom of that slope on your drive/approach.

Dual tee pads are on every hole (long and short) and most holes have multiple pin placements. Also there were 4 or 5 practice baskets with enough room for putts and approaches.

The park itself is beautiful with lush green grass and beautiful mature trees.

The locals were friendly and let me join their group (thank you!). Rich at the pro shop was very welcoming to me, the outta towner.
Cons: There could have been more shot variety here. I like options off the tee but not when It became apparent very early that this course was going to favor a RHBH throw - and indeed - 10 holes were left-turning. This got quite repetitive (how could it not?). I would feel the same way if there were 10 holes that were RHFH dominant. Also, I felt most of the shots didn't require a lot of thought preparation.

I played the long tees, but the distances seemed (for the most part) about the same - in the 320-370 ft range. I feel that distances need to vary to keep things interesting. I felt that even if I had that kind of consistent distance in my arsenal, that I would just be making the same shot over and over.

Safety factor: Holes are packed tightly together and errant shots easily put people in adjacent fairways in danger of being hit. I nearly hit a group on #8 when I was driving on #6 (it's a RHBH hyzer shot, my shot didn't hyzer and my disc missed those folks around the basket on #8 by inches.). There were many mandos here, but that didn't make things safer (there's just not enough trees to protect people from errant shots).
Other Thoughts: Okay, this place is supposed to be the second most crowded course in CA (next to Morley Field) There were many people playing when I arrived, but somehow the crowds magically thinned out as I went along (on a Sunday evening). I joined a group on the 5th hole to avoid playing through people all day, but we never had to wait - woohoo!

Just a slight question - why not have the discs in the pro shop handy so that people can actually look through them by hand?

Good Course!!

2-4    2/25/2014   2/27/2014
Review By: tommyUnitas
Pros: Long holes, birdie holes, uphill, downhill, side hill, trees, OB, wind, dirt, grass, nice locals, a few tall baskets. Every thing you'd want in a course.
Cons: My only con is the mat tee boxes, as I prefer concrete.
Other Thoughts: Played here the other day for the first time in over 25 years. Can't really remember the layout back then, so I can't compare. All in all the course was fun to play, and I'll be back soon.

Not bad, not great. California style crowds

5+    12/28/2013   2/4/2014
Review By: adamwad
Pros: As there are not many courses along the PCH in SoCal, the convenience of this course is nice. Usually a pretty good group of people on the course. Decent variation of shots to take.
Cons: The crowds at this place are unbearable. In my experience, groups get really salty when you ask to play through, and everyone is in each others way. There are a few unique holes, but nothing punishing or anything amazing. Always annoying when you have to pay to play as well. Parking can be a nightmare.
Other Thoughts: I guess if you have already chosen to live in SoCal, you are ok with EVERYTHING being overcrowded and overpriced, but being from out of state, it took a lot of the fun out of the course. All in all, it is a solid course, and I continue to play it whenever I'm in town. I prefer the course in long beach.

My home course

5+    12/3/2013   12/13/2013
Review By: CK_32
Pros: - My home course
- Where I learned to DG
- Pro shop and regulars are awesome
- Super friendly awesome players
-Elevation changes is an understatement
- Perfect Mix of open shots and wooded tree hazards
- Decently maintained
-Good mix of long and short holes
-Heavily Right Hand Favored
-Plenty of tourney play
Cons: - Right hand favored for lefties
- Spring grass and weeds suck, easy to lose discs on hole 1 around this time
- Kinda packed, popular course
- Walkers (jiggers and park goers sometimes walk through course)
-just started using high baskets hate high baskets
Other Thoughts: This is and always has been my home course, this is where I learned and always play DG, I love this course for so many reasons tons of good play, awesome holes, open but closed holes long and short drives, I think this is almost as good as they get.

If your in the area you have to play this course. People I've met from all over always say this is one of the most fun courses they have played and wish they came down more often.

Character and Characters

2-4    11/24/2013   11/25/2013
Review By: jthacker48
Pros: - Diversity of shots (uphill right to left, tight tunnel, elevated baskets, baskets on steep hills)
- Changes in elevation
- Manager, Rich, is cool as hell
- Pretty surroundings
Cons: - Busy (at least, compared to Phoenix)
- Limited parking
- Dangerous intersections
Other Thoughts: The course is DEFINITELY worth the small fee and the possible wait to tee off. Rich, the course manager, was more than friendly and helpful. He made Sara and I feel right at home. Holes 2, 3, and 4 can really put hurt on your scorecard if you roll down the hill. The course requires a variety of different shots to navigate it successfully. One of my new favorite courses.

Good Will Huntington

1    10/8/2013   10/8/2013
Review By: elton807
This review was updated on 10/11/2013
Pros: I liked the interesting layout that guides you through a variety of terrain from dirt, to the woods, to open fields, and shaded grassy areas. Super laid-back DGC culture is very evident and the friendly locals were more than helpful to keep me on track. Dual tee pads for both Beginners and Bombers. A couple of elevated baskets make for some interesting putts and approach shots. The rubber tee pads are grippy, but shortish. The signage posts are kinda cool. This place is pure disc golf nostalgia!
Cons: The dirt areas are, well, pretty dirty. Even though the course has different elevation levels, each hole tended to be pretty flat, except for #1, #3, #4, #13 which all happened to be my favorites.
Other Thoughts: Being the 2nd oldest permanent DG course in the world, Huntington Beach is akin to St. Andrews Old Course in the ball-golf world, in terms of historical value. Since I am relatively new to the sport, playing HB gave me an appreciation of the origins and evolution of this game. Love the on-site pro-shop and maps (definitely needed the 1st time). It's $2 bucks to play, so make sure you have some cash on you.
====================
Uniqueness: A (how often do you get to play the 2nd oldest of anything?)
Difficulty: B- (not too long, relatively flat with only a little elevation, decent amount of trees)
Fun factor: B+ (leisurely and enjoyable round, would be really fun with buddies)
Aesthetics: B (it's definitely old, and so-so maintained, but the trees and grassy areas are nice)
-------------------
Overall: B+

Time Warp

1    6/2/2013   6/29/2013
Review By: BigSky
Pros: - Nice, grippy rubber tee pads.
- A good mix of routes needed to get to the baskets, which keeps things interesting.
- On-site proshop, which has scorecards and a map.
- Pay-to-play.
- 3 practice baskets right next to the parking lot, and one of them is elevated to add variety.
- Well maintained grounds.
- Friendly locals.
- Portable toilet on site (big plus in my book)
- Long / Short teepads for every hole.
Cons: - Missing tee sign(s).
- Overlapping fairways.
- Crowded.
Other Thoughts: I had the privilege of playing Huntington with my brother one fine Sunday morning. As we drove into the parking lot, a palpable sense of history was immediate. From the worn shipping container that is the proshop, to the weathered practice baskets, and the sign that proudly proclaims that this is the second disc golf course ever. It's that intangible quality that prompted me to give this course an extra .5 rating. (Plus this is where the current world champ, Paul McBeth grew up. Adds another notch to the cool factor.)

Huntington is from a bygone era of lids, freestyle, short shorts, and striped socks. Yet the course is still a blast to play. She throws everything at you, from downhill and up, hyzer and anny, and wide open to a small gap (hole 4).

Sure, it was crowded. Afterall, we played on a Sunday. Yes, there were many shouts of "Fore!" But, we were none the worse for wear.

The course is not difficult, even for a noodle arm like myself. If you can throw 300' on target, and putt fairly well, you should have a birdie fest from the shorts, and will probably shoot under par from the longs.

One small gripe: With money coming in from pay-to-play, I'd have thought there would at least be good tee signs at every tee. I believe it is hole 15, and 17 that's mising them. Maybe they got stolen, or I didn't see them. Either way, for the traffic that comes through this course, the signage should be top-notch.

Overall, this is a good course, but not great. The intangibles help it move into the "must play" category if you're in the area.

Tips: It's gonna get crowded on the weekends. My bro and I went early, at around 8 AM. By the time we were finishing our round, the parking lot was full, and there were players on every hole.

Also, keep your eyes peeled, and ears tuned to what's going on around you. There's plastic flying everywhere.

1    6/2/2013   6/2/2013
Review By: astomps
Pros: +grass is cut short like a golf course
+like the rubber pads
+pro shop and all that comes with it
Cons: -crowded
-heavily used
-very few challenging shots
-given amount of casual players, there is a lot of errant shots that play into other fairways

Other Thoughts: pancake flat, putter/mid course

1    10/12/2012   5/12/2013
Review By: donny vomit
Pros: Well cut lawns,signage ,and a feel of a real ball golf course, pro shop, three practice baskets.
Cons: Didn't have any maybe the buck they charge to play, but they have to pay for the gas to cut the grass so it a no biggie to me ,
Other Thoughts: This place rocks second oldest permanent course,this place really makes you feel like ur on a real golf course.the fairways are cut just like a real golf course. Its not really a park with picnic tables out in the course so peeps don't walk around to get in your way. At least it didn't seem that way. It has a cool vibe. We played at 645 am and we were first on the course. By the 2nd hole peeps were already behind us , so I can see why it gets backed up quick. Had a great time and payed after our round was over even tho we could have bailed without paying. Definately a must if ur in the Huntington beach area.

my local course

5+    12/30/2012   1/5/2013
Review By: DannyThunders
Pros: A classic in disc golf, second course ever built , awesome course for RHBH , a result of it's age i suppose. Awesome locals , plenty of very friendly people to play with. Cool pro shop with Innova and legacy discs , Don't be afraid of ask them for advice either , they will offer it willingly. I absolutely love hole's 8 , 9 , 16 , 17 and 18 (I'm LHBH) Every other hole requires a challenging turnover or sidearm shot for me. Challenging shots on a few holes (15 comes to mind with the tree gap shot) .
Cons: Slippery rubber teepads , very RHBH oriented , wish there was more variety in the shots , can get pretty crowded as this is where MANY orange county people go on weekends , $1 fee on weekdays and $2 fee on weekends. Alot of "chuckers" come out here to act like douche's and clog up fairways, but any disc golfer is a good disc golfer.
Other Thoughts: Living 10-15 mins away has forced me to play this course often , but i love it for the challenge it brings LHBH people. I would definitely visit this course if you're in the beach cities as it is a classic and has alot to offer.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5