Estacada, OR
Milo McIver State Park (Riverbend DGC) Share

1    12/2/2012   12/3/2012
Review By: Ranger Rick
Pros: Great layout and use of land
concrete tee pads
signage on most holes
plenty of garbage cans (even though many do not use them)
Variation of hole types
nicely groomed
colored baskets made them easier to see at a distance
Cons: beer cans littering the course
locked restrooms (except for at hole #1)
No course map on site
confusing navigation at times (some tee signs were not oriented correctly)

Other Thoughts: We had no problem with the $5 to park since this course is rated so highly, and we were not disappointed! Take a map or download it to your phone, because it can be overwhelming if you are just looking for the 18E, or 9W, and not playing the full 27.

The long #2 was daunting, especially for a beginner like me, but we hacked away at it until the flag was in sight! Dog-legs left or right, made the wide open holes interesting, and the shorter holes in the tree line were quite technical, especially when your putter bounces off the rim and rolls 20 feet down the hill :)
This was definitely the longest (yardage wise) course I've played, and the cool, damp air was refreshing, even if we caught a little bit of drizzle.

I liked the Pro/Am tees, even if we didn't use the shorter ones. It's great to have that option, and we were out to have fun and improve our game, so why not use the longer ones.

Well worth the extra drive and parking fee!

one of the best

1    10/17/2012   10/18/2012
Review By: MciverDog
Pros: has some of the best shots around, tests every aspect of your game............................
Cons: gotta have a big arm to make par..........................................
Other Thoughts: leave the tournament pins in year round plz............................

My Favorite Course...

2-4    9/19/2012   9/20/2012
Review By: prettyboyfloyd
This review was updated on 4/29/2015
Pros: - Amazing layout: green grass + huge trees
- Concrete teepads
- Different elevation looks
- Variety of open/flat to tight wooded holes
- 27 holes (spring/summer)
- Bright red rimmed baskets with huge red flags (awesome)
- Recycle bins every couple holes
- Great use of park space
- EMPTY during the week
- Good signage
Cons: - Signage is confusing if you don't have a map.
- The course flow can be confusing at certain points (Hole 9e to 10e; Hole 15e to 16e) if you have no idea where your going, again bring a map the first couple times.
- Someone (Stumptown DGC) should make one map that includes both the 9w/18e layout with the 27 hole flow labeled as well. That would be sweet.
Other Thoughts: Picture a course with wide green fairways, the occasional giant Douglas Fir in the middle, combined with tight forested holes every now and then, over a huge expanse of area on a bend of the Clackamas River.. If someone asked me to imagine "What would be your ideal course in the Pacific Northwest", it would be this course. There's a reason there's a national tour event here.

There is enough space to have two 18 hole courses here (which happens during the Beaver State Fling), but the seasonal recreational layout is 27 holes (9 west, 18 east) during summer/fall and 18 holes on the east side of the course during winter. It should be said that the 18 east winter holes include holes not used during the 18 east summer/fall layout. This is due to alternate park use in some areas during summer.

For the 27 holes used in summer/fall, locals use a 27 hole layout (the Stumptown DGC map is included here), which numbers many of the holes differently than what's on the signage. Before you go, do yourself a favor: print out both the 18 hole and 27 hole layout (NOT THE WINTER) maps and write in the 27 hole layout numbers on the 18 hole layout map and use that map to play the 27.

Confused? It's really the only "complaint" I would have for this course. After playing it now in all seasons, I totally get it, but I will always use a map. Always. If it is your first time here, ask or bring a guide.

I've played 63 holes of golf here over 8 hours, which makes it about 8 cents a hole for the $5.00 you pay to get into the park. This is for the most beautiful layout I've ever seen. There were few people there with me.

The course is big, with two lovely par 5's :1w is my favorite on the course; 2e is both pretty and ridiculously long. Combined with the fair amount of par 4s, it is a course for big arms, which I love, but not might be for everyone. They do have Am tees to ameliorate this, but I wouldn't necessarily call this a course for beginners or newbies.

I think the perfect scenario would be to camp here for a couple of days in the middle of a week during the summer fall. You'd totally get the most out it, then.

A Beast

1    8/11/2012   8/12/2012
Review By: huckit541
Pros: Singage
Layout
Condition
Ammenities
Cons: Long as you'll find, not forgiving for the biginer or AM player.
Other Thoughts: A lot of distance questions from lack of signage. Seems like pin placement could be better indicated too. Definitely coming back for another dance with this monster.

1    7/5/2012   7/30/2012
Review By: MCW5379
Pros: State Park so clean course. Lots of technical shots and long shots needed.Open holes including an 1100+' monster. And short technical treed holes.
Cons: Not a family course and hard on shorter throwers.
Other Thoughts: Don't forget that there is a 18 hole east course and a 9 hole west course. So pack a lunch and make it a day playing both sides!

Amazingness!!

5+    6/22/2011   7/22/2011
Review By: samsung3384
Pros: Okay...honestly this course is the best i've ever played. I only started playing one year ago and though this course may take some time to get good at, it is an amazing course to play if you want to excel at the sport of disc golf. Has both pro and am tees. Perfect for if you are feeling boss that day or you just want to play a little closer...which i don't mind.
Cons: First time playing this course I went 20+ It was crazy but i had so much fun. Just keep playing. Aside from paying $5 to get in, there is nothing really wrong with this course.
Other Thoughts: This course will make you better!! Trust me...it forces you to muster up that extra 50 yards of a throw that you knew you had in you. long wide open holes make it hard to loose a disc. Happy Discing!!! (Not an acting word, I know)

A course for big arms

1    7/16/2011   7/22/2011
Review By: templink
Pros: -huge concrete tee pads
-2 courses in one (East and West)
-lots of long bomb shots down big fairways
-baskets have red bands and flags so you can see them from a distance.
Cons: -course navigation is confusing at best. The two courses overlap. People I met on the course admitted they don't play in order.
-no water in play
-only minor elevation changes
-baskets are not numbered. You have no idea which basket is yours when looking down the fairway on some holes.
Other Thoughts: I much preferred the 9 west holes over the 18 east. Maybe because I could navigate them more easily. Overall, the mix of long bombs with short, technical shots in the woods was very good. You could play several different ways. Not a good course for beginners, even the 9 hole west side, as it is too challenging. I wish there was a 3.75 rating because it's a very good course, but not quite excellent in my opinion. Frankly, this course was not that much fun until I got into the woods. It has so many holes and ways of playing that you could skip holes you don't like.

UNSURE

1    7/15/2011   7/18/2011
Review By: ninja-don
Pros: Good baskets, benches, trash cans, challenging courses.
Didn't seem like it would be too crowded.
At the bottom of the baskets, they have little yellow plastic things that direct you towards the next tee... but other than just heading in the right direction they aren't too helpfull... just very cool.
Cons: some of the signs were missing, the maps is not too helpfull, there are two tee pads for some holes, but not two signs, so you are left to wonder if the sign is missing, and if so what hole is it. It took me a while to find the "PRO" pad too which I could then see that there were two seperate pads.
Other Thoughts: I don't think it is fair for me to give this course a rating since I played only the first 9 of the 27 hole layout.
I had a map from DG Course reviewer and it was very little help.
If the signs are correct, something about this park makes the distance seem way longer to the eye than the signs state.
The signs are very nice, but do not have actually representation of the course, so you have no real idea where the basket is if you can't see it... and they do a great job of makeing the holes that I played not visible from the tee.
As I stated before I only played the first 9 holes of the 27 hole layout, this was due to the fact that I was so frustrated trying to find the next tee, or the basket or the right tee that I just cut my losses and headed on my way. I think if I wasn't on a road trip and had more time I would have played the whole thing anyway.
I also don't think it is fair for me to rate this course since I didn't get to see how it could be a 4 or better rating like everyone else seem to think it is... I must have missed out on something. One of the holes that I played that claimed to have water on it from this site... really dosen't copme into play unless you throw off course through trees and bushes about 100 feet to the left of the main fairway.
If I ever go back I'll update this review or if I remember anything else.
Overall I think this course was pretty good, I just don't think I would go out of my way to play it again.

Beautiful, long, and confusing

5+    7/2/2011   7/14/2011
Review By: Hector Chain
Pros: Located on the banks of the Clackamas River, this is a pretty course. Tall pines dot the course, and the red baskets are easily visible against the lush green background.

There are two concrete tee pads for each of the 27 holes. The long pads give completely different looks at many of the holes and force some new angles, although several of the tee pads just make a really long course even longer.

I really enjoyed the five wooded holes on the course, with tight but reasonable gaps to hit and potential for bad rollaways if you hit the wrong tree. The ferns are the only undergrowth for the most part. I'm from the Midwest, and I love the plants that let you know you're in Oregon. Except for the poison oak.

There are some pretty creative pin positions here. #26 (I think) has an elevated basket in a tree stump. If you're not putting from within 20 feet, you really risk a 3 putt (especially since you don't practice on baskets this high). #9 has a scenic position between two trees standing sentinel along the Clackamas.

If you like airing it out, this course has many opportunities. I haven't seen many 1000+ foot holes.
Cons:
I have real issues with the course design here. We played the course like it is numbered on the scorecard (linked to on this site), but that is not how the holes are numbered on the signs and apparently not how most people play it. There are several tees that bottleneck around where #9 is, and in both of our rounds groups convened and were confused about who was coming from where and who was playing what tee next. Unfortunately the various tee pads for a given hole aren't always close to each other. On #9 there is the dangerous situation where people tee off from the short pad and are oblivious to the people throwing down toward them from the long tee hidden in the woods.

Also complicating this is that there are shortcuts here and there. It felt like the game Clue: the Ballroom is next to the Conservatory, but there is a secret passage to the Lounge...I was ready to hit myself over the head with a lead pipe.

If you play the course as it is numbered on the signs, you would have to drive between the two configurations and park in separate lots. Um, no. Also, the tee signs are mediocre. They show the distances to the various positions but very little else.

The other con is more of a personal preference, but courses that emphasize distance so much lose my interest. I might feel differently if I could throw 400+ feet, but when you are throwing two full shots (and more on some holes) and then hoping you are in the vicinity of the basket, that leaves a little to be desired. As I said, I really enjoyed the five wooded holes. I just wish on a course this huge that there had been more than five.

One last note: the pins are often not visible from the tee due to the length. You really need to play the course a couple times before you're sure where you're trying to go.
Other Thoughts: This course is rightly regarded as a must visit when you're in Oregon. I liked Whistler's Bend and Horning's Hideout better, but picking your favorite Oregon course is like picking your favorite Oregon beer: the third and fourth choice is still pretty damn good. The scenery and atmosphere are well worth the drive out from Portland.

Loooong Distances

1    7/7/2011   7/7/2011
Review By: PDXDisc
Pros: What an amazing course. It's one of the few I've ever played with this kind of distance. There are also a number of very crowded technical areas in the trees as well. One of the very few courses that I've played pretty much all the discs in my bag.
Cons: Not for the beginner. The distances and trees would be very frustrating. Also, not a course to play if you are after birdies and aces. I'm really gald I played this with someone who has played a number of times. All the variation and alternate tee pads would have been super hard to navigate on my own.
Other Thoughts: Awsome destination course. If you are in the area make the effort to play this course! I truely believe this must have been created by someone who envisioned "super course" of consistent par 4's or 5's instead of the typical 3's. Oh and if anyone ever finds my Destroyer - PLEASE call. It's one of my favorites.