Estacada, OR
Milo McIver State Park (Riverbend DGC) Share

Great for big arms

2-4    8/16/2010   8/17/2010
Review By: zombie41
Pros: *well maintained hard to lose a disc because the under brush is non existant
*Lots of benches
*Trash cans
*Bathrooms(sometimes maintained)
*Big arms welcomed. Holes almost always require a bomb
*Awesome Discatcher baskets
*hole 6e is prolly the best hole i've seen yet. However I haven't been to whistlers bend yet:)
*map and score cards available for the east west divide, not for the 27 hole coarse.
*nice big concrete tee pads(pro and AM)
*beautiful big native trees, yet wide open fairways.
Cons: *Rediculous layout. 27 holes, or East and west, or 2 18 hole? you will have people cutting in front of you and ending up behind you. I think the preferred way to play it is 18 East, and 9 west. But you will have to drive to the opposite parking lot between games. cause hole 1 east is on the opposite side of the coarse from hole 1 west.
*Tee pads are confusing, most have the signage backwards making you think you are throwing the opposite direction.
*be prepaired to wait, confusing coarse layout, causes back ups.
*not that much elevation
*holes are too far for average players to begginers. Your score will suck.
*long ways away from civilization. Portlands traffic can cause people like me who live in vancouver to play at Rooster or Dabney.
*water doesn't play a hazzard
*State park fee $5/day or $30/year.
Other Thoughts: I liked this coarse a lot. I have been playing for over 6 months now and I still don't have the arm to pay this coarse. begginers will get frusterated with a terrible score. And pros will have a great challenge.
It is a wonderfully maintained coarse along the Clackamas River, with huge fairways. The signage is frusterating and the layout is even more dreadful, but you won't lose discs that easy, so the coarse doesn't usually jam up. I would advise everyone to play it once, however if you don't usually trow 350 feet off the drive you may wanna go to hornings, dabney, or leverich. I will give it 4 stars when the layout is turned back into a 27 hole coarse. The park officials made a mistake making it an east west coarse.

Amazing

1    8/1/2010   8/1/2010
Review By: Ghost in the Darknes
Pros: Beautiful course that runs along the river. There is a great mix of technical shots and enough room to air out a big throw. I wish I lived closer because this would be a fun one to play more often. The locals were more than helpful in pointing me in the correct direction..which brings me to....
Cons: I got very confused by the 27 hole lay out. Granted I didn't do my homework before I left. But I printed out the map, and found Tee #1, thinking that after I played the 18 East, that it would run right into the 9 West. This was not the case.
Other Thoughts: What a wonderful course. I would advise everyone I knew to play this atleast once in their life, if not many more times.

5+    6/3/2010   6/9/2010
Review By: dscglf4
Pros: -the park alone is worth the drive,its big and very beautiful
-27/36 DISCatcher's,many with alt pin settings,most of the pins are are tucked into a pocket or a clump of trees,a few parking lot-island green's, and 1 in a stump
-large concrete tee's,Pro and Am
-short,medium,long,and extra long throws, from 175' upto 850'...then the super-sized extra long 1196'
-great layout and use of what elevation there is,many of the fairways do have some slope to them and there are quite a few shots with elevated tee's.
-no boring or repeating holes
-signs,benches,trash/recycle cans and 3 clean bathroom buildings
-usually not much of a crowd,but even if there is alot of people, its a BIG course
-all the old growth fir,pine and cedars, ferns and vines,deer,bald eagles and even saw a coyote on hole #W8
-3 miles from timber park
-and finally, home of the Beaver State Fling, a National Tour event that brings in some of top men and women players from all over the country,including many top players from all over Oregon
Cons: the only thing for me is that its not 36 holes year round
Other Thoughts: ive always loved this park even when it just had 18 holes,you could look around and imagine shots everywhere.

this is a championship park with 2 championship courses.a majority of the holes are 400-600' range,plus a 700,850 and 1196',but there are quite a few 300' and some in the 200' range.
this is a big-arm course, but alot of it is about placement too.

Milo McIver is truely one of the top five courses in the world!

tied with Meadowridge as my favorite course

1    12/5/2009   5/23/2010
Review By: nonono
Pros: nice grass that is mowed and big tee pads and good baskets. 27 holes is a nice big long day of playing and good for picnick with the kids. good throws from the hill for downhill fun and near the river
Cons: its really long and hard so its frustrating to try and get good score. its hard to find your wya around so its good to play with people who know the course or ask some one who knows. it costs a lot of money to play it because its in a state park that charges money to play.
Other Thoughts: really great course but its too far from town so its a long drive but worth it

World Class DG Course

5+    5/17/2009   4/3/2010
Review By: Avery Jenkins
This review was updated on 5/9/2010
Pros: This amazing two course complex is host to the Beaver State Fling Disc Golf National Tour Event every year in May. It has an incredible mix of open and wooded holes throughout both the West and East courses, with multiple par3's, 4's and 5's to challenge every shot in your game. It is by far my favorite courses in the country because of the demanding course layout and amazing manicured fairways.

There are several holes where you have throw a huge drive to a sizable landing area, then throw another drive or good length upshot in order to birdie or eagle the hole. Its a definitely strategy to shot execution and placement to score well on these course.

The course is located beautiful river valley just south of Mt. Hood with lots of old growth Douglas Fir and Pines, the Clackamas River running along side both of the courses. There are little to no distractions for the fact that you are out in the woods unless you are flustered by the tranquil sounds of the river and the birds.

The course is just that, as I describe to many players, its several teepads and baskets with a river, trees, birds and some of the nicest Disc Golf Fairways that you have ever seen. Its something just that simple that makes the course that much more amazing.

Its a definite must-play if you are ever in the area!!!
Cons: Location - I wish that it was a little closer to the city of Portland in order to draw more spectators and sponsors to their events. It is about 20 miles outside of Portland but well worth the drive. But what also makes this course great is the fact that there are minimal distractions due to the course being a distance from the city.

More Courses on the Property - I would only hope that they install another course (or 2) on the property because they have access to so much prime Disc Golf land. With the addition of a few more courses this would become the best DG complex in the game and a great possibility to host a World Championships.
Other Thoughts: I could only hope that more people get the chance to play these courses and get influenced by such course and realize that this type of golf is the future of our sport. It combines the open fairways of ball-golf with some tighter, wooded fairways with sharp angles that only a disc can manipulate, much like we are all accustom to seeing with Disc Golf. Its the best of both worlds and has something for everyone that plays it.

That maybe the reason that the Beaver State Fling National Tour Event sells out every year months in advance on both the Am and Pro weekends with over 500 players in attendance.

A True World-Class Disc Golf Course all made possible by the Hard Work of the Portland Rocs DG Club and thanks to everyone that contributes to the preparation for the Beaver State Fling every year.

Beautiful and so much fun

2-4    3/26/2010   3/28/2010
Review By: rybob42
Pros:
- Great variety of shots required. Never felt repetitive, even playing through twice back-to-back.
- No punishing holes (except for length, perhaps). I felt there was a line that would work on each hole if I had the skill.
- Room to air it out fairly often.
- Great teepads and signs. Both amateur and pro tees (we played am).
- Maps available at the start of the course (look in the mailbox-looking thing).
- Stunning! Really, really beautiful surroundings and a joy to just walk around.
- Great facilities, clean bathrooms, drinking water, picnic tables, camping...
- Not too many places to lose a disc.
Cons:
- Sometimes hard to find the next teepad or the pin. The map really helps, but it can still be tricky.
- Pretty open and long, which some may not like.
- People are still playing the multiple course "layouts," which is a pain in the rear. We followed the park-suggested layout (18 east and 9 west), and it was fine, but locals don't always go to the next hole on the map we used.
Other Thoughts: This was the most fun I've had on a disc golf course in my life. I'm still fairly new, but at this point I've played in five western states and a variety of course types (parks, desert, wooded, open fields), and not a single experience was as varied and fun as this.

This is a long course, and it takes forever to get through all 27. Be prepared.

Best in the Portland Area

1    10/5/2009   10/7/2009
Review By: Longfellow
This review was updated on 10/14/2009
Pros: Played through Milo for the first time yesterday and it definitely won't be the last! Incredible views of snow capped Mt. Hood along Springwater Rd. on the way to course. The crystal clear Clackamas river runs along edge of park and there are plenty of giant trees and healthy native groundcover plants throughout the course.

What I liked
-The grounds are very well kept.
-4-5 Clean restroom buildings spaced perfectly throughout the course.
-The Pro and Am tees are all concrete and a generous size. Some of the pro tees actually add additional challenges (trees, 45 - 90 degree turns, +150') to the hole. At several courses I've played, the pro tees are basically the same shot but simply 50-100' further from the pin.
-There is a decent variety of shots, straight on with a few tall trees, long with patches of mixed foliage, short but heavily treed; all holes have obstacles despite some being 250-400' down an open field then ducking into the woods to approach the pin.
-There are two epic drives from the top of an ~30 ft. hill down into a field which are a lot of fun. Great ego booster to throw your disc an extra 100+ ft.
Cons: -The layout is extremely confusing due to the staff trying to re-number the course into two separate 18 (east) and 9 hole (west) courses. It appeared the pro/am tees for #10E weren't clearly labeled and the some of the pins have 1-27 layout numbers while others don't have any marking.
-Litter wasn't a huge issue but there was some lying around.
-Strange lady at the picnic shelter was not friendly.
Other Thoughts: I feel like it wouldn't take much time for someone to at least try and make things clearer on the course map... then maybe work on labeling the pins and / or clarifying all the pro/am tees with directional guidance for which way to go once you get to the pin.

All in all an excellent mix of long (2 full blast drives to pin), mid distance moderately technical shots, short very technical shots and wide open field drives with more challenging pin approaches. The course makes use of almost every method you could possibly use to throw. I will definitely return to Milo in the future and highly recommend it to experienced players. It could be very frustrating for beginners and getting a par on any of the holes from the amateur tees would be a feat for newer players.

Run & Gun

5+    9/16/2009   9/28/2009
Review By: DGRunner
This review was updated on 10/16/2011
Pros: This course has it all with many mature trees and a river runs through it (the water does not come into play unless your shot is errant). The fairways are wide, but if you end up in the woods it's all over. You need either a huge arm or accuracy with rollers. All tee boxes are cement, but it's 10K ft. from the short tees and 12K ft. from the long tees. As it should be, the second shot is often the make or break shot. Some of the short holes are easy and some are guarded by an army of small trees. I loved #9 and #27 shooting off the perch as precision is still needed. This was a PDGA tour stop recently. I have been playing since 2002 and could not shoot par from the short tees. The distance and the trees make this one of the most challenging courses I have ever played. If you are a beginner don't be discouraged if you shoot +27, it is that hard.
Cons: I knocked this course down a smidge because there is a lot of elevation and woods in the park that are not utilized. The pictures on this site are old, but demonstrate the difficulty of the many blind shots. I ran with my buddy and he knew where to go, but without him I would have been lost. Whoever decided to make McIver two courses, chose poorly. The signs were still confusing as some of them are by the long tees. The park is in the middle of nowhere.
Other Thoughts: I have seen deer during dusk several times. The course is so long it is a great workout. I played it twice to beat my first score. It's worth a trip.

5+    7/15/2009   9/5/2009
Review By: Adam Schneider
Pros:
- Pro and amateur teepads, and multiple pin placements
- Mowed fairways, and the rough isn't too rough
- Beautiful park setting along the Clackamas River, with many amenities
- Excellent flow (with the exception of the recent split into east & west layouts)
Cons:
- Too many wide-open fairways
- Very long (I realize this is not a "con" to everyone)
- Goofy split layout; many locals play the original 27 holes in order, which can lead to confusion
- Crowded on weekends; litter can be a problem
McIver is a tricky course for me to review. I acknowledge that it's an excellent disc golf course, and it looks beautiful. In fact, it looks a lot like a ball golf course (which it originally was intended to be, decades ago). The fact that most holes have both short and long teepads -- which often make a significant difference in how the hole plays -- is a huge plus. (It's surprising, really, how FEW courses have two sets of pads.) And Milo McIver State Park has tons of amenities: picnic areas, camping, fishing, etc. All that stuff is an advantage for sure, and it helps make this a "destination" course.

But... personally, I often don't have all that much FUN at McIver. When I finish 27 holes here, I feel exhausted; I've never said, "hey, let's go around again," which I always do when playing at, for example, Timber Park. Too many holes at McIver follow the same pattern: try to throw a very long drive out into a wide-open fairway, then throw a long approach shot at a basket which is right at the edge of the woods. My favorite holes at McIver are the 3 or 4 completely forested ones in the middle, and I wish there were more of those.

Overall, I agree that, if only because of the physical setting, this is one of the must-play courses for people visiting the Portland area. And I think it's probably a 5-star course for pros and other golfers with big arms. But from the perspective of a Portlander who only throws about 300', I know there are other places I can play around here where I won't feel like I'm blowing out my arm on every hole, and where I'll have a chance at a few more birdies.

I guess what it comes down to is this: McIver is a tough disc golf course. Whether that's good or bad depends on your expectations, your style of play, even your mood on any given day. Plan accordingly!

It doesn't get any better!

5+    8/11/2009   9/2/2009
Review By: Reis Just Reis
Pros: ~ Long Holes and Short Holes
~ Technical Holes and Open Field Shots
~ Always in GREAT condition
~ Great use of Elevation and Obstacles
~ Two pads on most holes
~ Multiple pin locations keeps things fresh.
~ Map/Score Card provided at the Ranger Station
Cons: ~ My score on this course!
~ Difficult to navigate w/o a map (don't use the map on this site as it is out of date. Go to the Ranger Station, they have a new map/score card)
~ $3.00 State Park Day Use Fee (per vehicle)
Other Thoughts: Beware the SCA! These ppl bring in a couple hundred members and camp out on top of 2-3 holes which makes for navigating the course a pain. This summer I've run into them twice. They're good ppl, but I wish they were't obstucting my course :)