Estacada, OR
Milo McIver State Park (Riverbend DGC) Share

5+    3/8/2009   3/9/2009
Review By: Bullseye
Pros: * Epic size (Words really don't so this place justice.)
* 27 holes totaling over 11000ft.
* Great Teepads (except for the 3-4 rubber ones that are due to be replaced shortly).
* Beautiful scenery
* Benches
* Plenty of parking
* Reasonable rates ($3 per day per car)
* Great facilities
* Camping (Except winter)
* Dog friendly (on leash)
** The tournament layout consisting of (2) 18 hole courses is simply amazing.

Cons: Occasional litter problems, but dedicated local players are often seen carrying trashbags during rounds.
Signage is not at the same level as the course.
Other Thoughts: This is truly an epic disc golf course. The grueling 27 hole course will test every throw in your arsenal and put your stamina to the test as well.

Top notch

5+    2/23/2009   2/28/2009
Review By: Eric O
Pros: Located well outside the city in an enormous state park, and running along a river, this is an ideal setting for a world class disc golf course.

Rarely do you run into anyone besides other golfers on the course.

Challenging and varied. All your disc skills will come into play.

36 hole tournament layout.
Cons: Anything I list as a negative would be nitpicking pretty hard.

It would be nice if the teesigns hadn't been renumbered for a 9 hole and an 18 hole layout, instead of the 27 hole layout most people use anyway. It would be nice if the additional tournament holes were in the ground more often. It would be nice if it was 5 minutes from my front door.
Other Thoughts: This is undoubtedly the finest course Oregon has to offer, and arguably the most difficult.

Long

2-4    2/15/2009   2/16/2009
Review By: Hippy007
Pros: -Multiple Pin locations
-Both Pro and Am tee box's
-Both tight tech holes and long bombs to test your whole game
-Good use of the little elevation on the site
Cons: -Some of the tee box's don't aim in the right direction
-Some Tee box's are very small
-Some Tee signs are missing
Other Thoughts: This is a course that I Like to go and play to see how I am doing. It can test all parts of your game and tell you how you are doing. It is also a long walk but that is part of the game.

Milo

1    2/15/2009   2/15/2009
Review By: topdawgy58
Pros: I really tuff course with long drives. Its probaly the tuffest course in the area. Lots of trees and lots of angles and corners. Nice layout and be ready to do some hiking. A really scenic course on the Clackamas river.
Cons: Cans and bottles thrown up in the trees.
Other Thoughts: It a course that will really challenge every aspect of your game.

World class course

5+    2/11/2009   2/12/2009
Review By: tennessee
Pros: -Great challenge
-Beautiful area
-Baskets are in good shape
-Nice and clean bathrooms
-Well maintained
-Not crowded (yet)
-Awesome mixture of shots
-Great for tournys
-Multiple pin placements
-Pro and am pads
-27+ holes
Cons: -Some of the tee pads are still rubber and slick when wet
-Layout can be confusing
Other Thoughts: Its a place where you can relax and play golf.
A golfers golf course
A place where you can see bald eagles (seriously).
Well worth the trip and the three dollars for parking.

BEAUTIFULAWESOMENESS!!!

2-4    9/26/2008   11/22/2008
Review By: Matt aka N.G.S.P.
This review was updated on 1/21/2009
Pros: Wonderful course. Extremely fun and challenging. Super long drives in mostly wide open fields that change up at the last second to reveal guarded/hidden baskets that change locations periodically. Another great feature I liked about the park was the fact that there is a plateau type setting w/ holes in heavily wooded areas and the cliffs of the plateau are at either side making a very challenging drive. Two of the holes offer the "A" tee boxes that allow you to drive off of the cliffs down into the flat areas which is very fun and rewarding. The whole time playing you are surrounded by beautiful scenery.

Baskets are in good condition along w/ the tee boxes. Benches and trash cans that are provided is a nice addition along w/ a restroom area somewhere in the middle of the 2 combined courses. ( I can't recall the # of the hole its located at… I think its around the area of #26 or #9's tee box if you look at the RIVER BEND course map ). Camping is provided in the park located in a separate area.
Cons: Course has long walking if you play all 27 holes. Easy to loose discs off of the plateau area. If you are not a skilled player I can see it wearing you down both physically and mentally. Hard to navigate w/out a map. Trash laying around. CROWDED!!!
Other Thoughts: I do drink beer and I don't care if others do too… but I found lots of beer cans that people tie together on string etc and fling them up in the tree branches so they dangle from them. Which is a turn off in my opinion. Please try and keep our Oregon courses green and clean.

The camping spots are well kept and reasonably priced located to a different side about a 3 minute drive to the park from the course(s). I live in Beaverton and the drive to the park was about 25 minutes and I recommend doing the drive during the day sunlight hours as it is hard to find the campsite at night time.

Other than that this is my favorite course… truly beautiful and a blast to play. I recommend it for novice to advance players as a MUST HIT!!!

Premier NW region course

8/4/2008   8/5/2008
Review By: Innovadude
Pros: Very long and challenging, and unlike many tough courses, it plays fair and balanced. Every hole is unique, with lots of variety. Beautiful landscape of fields lines with tall thick pines, old growth heavy forest with ferns, rocks, and a river which is not really a major concern. Big shot off a cliff in the woods, water behind the basket. Cement and rubber tee pads, well marked with signs, high quality maps provided. 27 holes to choose from with 3 -9 hole loops, and 14 extra short tees. Easy to find your disc, no worries of poison oak, thorns are not that bad. There's a 1,200 foot hole with a cliff on the right.
Cons: Can be a bit tough for someone who can't throw far, it does require some good driving distances (this is a PRO to me, however). Also can be exhausting to play all 27 straight.
Other Thoughts: If you're going to cross the Mississippi River from the East, you should go straight to Oregon to play this, quit your job play disc golf.

Epic Disc Love!

1    7/6/2008   7/7/2008
Review By: Aragorn
This review was updated on 8/12/2008
Pros: Epic course length. Some really long holes that I have yet to come across in other courses I have played, seriously. #23 is 1187ft. from the pro tee and 752ft. from the amateur tee, with no elevation change! You have to throw 430ft just to get from the pro tee to the amateur tee! I list this as a pro because it adds to the uniqueness of this course. A very pretty course that doesn't seem very crowded. Good tee pads.
Cons: To give a course 5 stars means it should be absolutely perfect. The only thing I would nit pick with Milo McIiver is the signage could be better. Even though they split the course into a 9 and 18 hole course, the joy of this place is playing the full 27 hole course. Many people still play the 27 but the signs only reflect the east or west course (ex. #4E or #7W). They really should also have the 27-hole course number on the tee sign as well. In addition, there are no signs to the next tee pad. Certain tees are not easy to find from the last basket and a few signs would be helpful. One tee sign has the tee and basket placement flipped-flopped, lol.
Other Thoughts: While there are 6 holes that are short, tight and entirely in the trees most of the course is as follows: Launching mammoth drives into a grass meadow followed by another long shot usually around a big tree in the middle or to the side of the fairway. The basket placements seem to always be guarded by some big fat trees. Rare is the basket that is open and unguarded. Many baskets are blind from the tee. Very interesting, and I think good design, to be throwing into open space AND have trees come into play on the same hole.

What an amazing place that you can have a 27 hole course that is this long and still have plenty of extra room. It might be tempting to add 9 more holes in the extra space and by making two holes out of the monsters. I would advise AGAINST that. I don't believe the course is crowded enough to warrant an extra 9 and the current vastness is unique and a neat thing to preserve. If they could add extra holes without changing the current feel that would be OK.

While playing this course I was struck by the difference between being a local and being a first timer or infrequent player of a course. If you don't know where that next tee is supposed to be it can get a little confusing. Some people complain about my home course (Ft. Steilacoom) being difficult to navigate. I never gave it much thought because I know it so well. I have a little more sympathy now. It really makes for a more enjoyable experience to get to that next tee easily. Regardless, I still had a blast playing this course.

A wonderful place

6/1/2008   6/18/2008
Review By: JHern
Pros: It is a wonderful treat, and a great asset to the pursuit of disc golf in general, that such a wonderful piece of park property has been made available for use as a course. I made a special effort to stop by and play here with my fiancee while on a business trip to the region, and I will remember it fondly for the rest of my life.

The trees are absolutely gorgeous, and the swiftly flowing river provides for a wonderful background sight and sound to the entire course.

The course itself offers a variety of different kinds of shots and challenges. The one thing this course has more than any other, and certainly uses, is space. There is a lot of space, and the holes are almost all scaled up to fill it out. This is a big arm course, and will test the limits of accuracy vs. distance in everyone's game. This is also a great course to try out a variety of roller shots. There are big left and right turning fairways, tight shots through corridors of trees, and punishing rough if the disc goes astray.

We had few problems finding most holes and pads, and the arrangement was quite nice and easy to follow except...
1. on the back 9 I recall there being a very long excursion from a hill in the woods at basket 3 down to the open area by the parking lot on tee pad 4,
2. on the front 18 there was an excursion into the woods around hole 13-14 or so that we initially had trouble following, but got it the second time around on a replay.

The park is clean, except for some Coors Light cans and such. Rubbish bins are plentiful and there are several very well-maintained restrooms along portions of the course, which is especially good for women disc golfers.

Cons: Note that the cons listed here shouldn't dissuade anyone from playing here...you should go to Riverbend, it is a wonderful place. My criticisms should be taken lightly, but I feel I should offer something.

The vast expanses of the park property, and its setting in general, virtually ensure that any course layout at McIver will be a wonderful experience. I got the feeling, however, that the course's design was somewhat haphazard in some ways (I'll give examples below), but the park itself and the large spaces available allow that a less than ideal course design can still remain one of the best around.

There are vast, long, open strips and spaces for fairways. I feel that the current course design uses these in a bit of a gluttonous fashion, by simply laying out huge tracts from pad to basket across what might otherwise comprise several more exquisite and thoughtful holes. Hole 2 on the 18 front course is a great example of this...1200 or so feet of amazing fairway with nice groves and patches of trees along the way are simply given over to a single hole. Sure, this is an epic hole, and one that I'll tell all my friends about, but one wonders if this space might not have been used more wisely. I'm not saying that I don't like the holes as they are, but rather that I don't quite feel like the course space has been optimized for its full range of potential and diversity.

Other holes sometimes start seemingly at random in a glade and end at a basket seemingly placed at random in some trees off to the side.

The landscape is mostly flat, so the course is missing some of the elements one finds in other courses with big up or down hill grades (with the minor exception of a couple of holes that tee off from a wooded hill).

I lost a new esp avenger ss disc on the back 9 by the river. Truth be told, this course will wear you down and you'll probably shank a shot or several after a while and the river will most certainly eat your disc. Be prepared and willing to lose a disc or two so that you won't mind so much when it happens.

Other Thoughts: This ordinary layout course wore me down like a big tournament course would do, and at the end of the day I was satisfied and thoroughly happy as well as tired.

Final thought...Is this the best disc golf course on the west coast? My gut feeling is to say no, it is not the best course for disc golf purposes alone. My benchmark course for comparison is DeLaveaga in Santa Cruz, and I feel like each of the holes there is a delectable treat, like something to be savored and admired for its arrangement in terms of disc golf purposes. I don't feel like Riverbend quite measures up in that respect, although it is a wonderful place to play disc golf.

What DG in heaven will be like

4/25/2006   5/23/2008
Review By: Doktor John
Pros: Great variety
Great layout
Great scenery
Never crowded
On many holes you need incredible accuracy and strategy
Have to use every throw you know
Some epic holes that I've never experienced in over 160 courses
Cons: Some extremely long holes for those without big arms (like me)--but oddly, not that negative because they are epic holes that you rarely can play anywhere else
Other Thoughts: This course is truly amazing...it has everything...not only worth the drive from Portland, it would be worth walking to from Portland...every time I travel to Portland this a MUST PLAY course.
Even though I don't have a big arm for some of the monster holes, they are still fun because they are so long and unique.
Hole 9 and 27 are amazing shots of a hill through a window in the trees...there are some incredibly tight holes that reward accuracy and will make a grown man weep if he has errant throws...
I think it would be hard to beat this course for the overall excellence...of course there are a few things ot perfect (like they could have better signage) but when put all together, this course is hard to beat
One of my most memorable times playing DG was on hole 27 and I was at like 3 over for the course (VERY good for me since the long holes are tough on me without a big arm) and I was looking down off the hill, through the trees and knew that so much could go wrong and steal par from me on that hole...very exhilerating.... (I made par...the DG gods were with me that day!)
I wish I could give it a rating higher than 5