Estacada, OR
Milo McIver State Park (Riverbend DGC) Share

A course for big arms

1    7/16/2011   7/22/2011
Review By: templink
Pros: -huge concrete tee pads
-2 courses in one (East and West)
-lots of long bomb shots down big fairways
-baskets have red bands and flags so you can see them from a distance.
Cons: -course navigation is confusing at best. The two courses overlap. People I met on the course admitted they don't play in order.
-no water in play
-only minor elevation changes
-baskets are not numbered. You have no idea which basket is yours when looking down the fairway on some holes.
Other Thoughts: I much preferred the 9 west holes over the 18 east. Maybe because I could navigate them more easily. Overall, the mix of long bombs with short, technical shots in the woods was very good. You could play several different ways. Not a good course for beginners, even the 9 hole west side, as it is too challenging. I wish there was a 3.75 rating because it's a very good course, but not quite excellent in my opinion. Frankly, this course was not that much fun until I got into the woods. It has so many holes and ways of playing that you could skip holes you don't like.

UNSURE

1    7/15/2011   7/18/2011
Review By: ninja-don
Pros: Good baskets, benches, trash cans, challenging courses.
Didn't seem like it would be too crowded.
At the bottom of the baskets, they have little yellow plastic things that direct you towards the next tee... but other than just heading in the right direction they aren't too helpfull... just very cool.
Cons: some of the signs were missing, the maps is not too helpfull, there are two tee pads for some holes, but not two signs, so you are left to wonder if the sign is missing, and if so what hole is it. It took me a while to find the "PRO" pad too which I could then see that there were two seperate pads.
Other Thoughts: I don't think it is fair for me to give this course a rating since I played only the first 9 of the 27 hole layout.
I had a map from DG Course reviewer and it was very little help.
If the signs are correct, something about this park makes the distance seem way longer to the eye than the signs state.
The signs are very nice, but do not have actually representation of the course, so you have no real idea where the basket is if you can't see it... and they do a great job of makeing the holes that I played not visible from the tee.
As I stated before I only played the first 9 holes of the 27 hole layout, this was due to the fact that I was so frustrated trying to find the next tee, or the basket or the right tee that I just cut my losses and headed on my way. I think if I wasn't on a road trip and had more time I would have played the whole thing anyway.
I also don't think it is fair for me to rate this course since I didn't get to see how it could be a 4 or better rating like everyone else seem to think it is... I must have missed out on something. One of the holes that I played that claimed to have water on it from this site... really dosen't copme into play unless you throw off course through trees and bushes about 100 feet to the left of the main fairway.
If I ever go back I'll update this review or if I remember anything else.
Overall I think this course was pretty good, I just don't think I would go out of my way to play it again.

Beautiful, long, and confusing

5+    7/2/2011   7/14/2011
Review By: Hector Chain
Pros: Located on the banks of the Clackamas River, this is a pretty course. Tall pines dot the course, and the red baskets are easily visible against the lush green background.

There are two concrete tee pads for each of the 27 holes. The long pads give completely different looks at many of the holes and force some new angles, although several of the tee pads just make a really long course even longer.

I really enjoyed the five wooded holes on the course, with tight but reasonable gaps to hit and potential for bad rollaways if you hit the wrong tree. The ferns are the only undergrowth for the most part. I'm from the Midwest, and I love the plants that let you know you're in Oregon. Except for the poison oak.

There are some pretty creative pin positions here. #26 (I think) has an elevated basket in a tree stump. If you're not putting from within 20 feet, you really risk a 3 putt (especially since you don't practice on baskets this high). #9 has a scenic position between two trees standing sentinel along the Clackamas.

If you like airing it out, this course has many opportunities. I haven't seen many 1000+ foot holes.
Cons:
I have real issues with the course design here. We played the course like it is numbered on the scorecard (linked to on this site), but that is not how the holes are numbered on the signs and apparently not how most people play it. There are several tees that bottleneck around where #9 is, and in both of our rounds groups convened and were confused about who was coming from where and who was playing what tee next. Unfortunately the various tee pads for a given hole aren't always close to each other. On #9 there is the dangerous situation where people tee off from the short pad and are oblivious to the people throwing down toward them from the long tee hidden in the woods.

Also complicating this is that there are shortcuts here and there. It felt like the game Clue: the Ballroom is next to the Conservatory, but there is a secret passage to the Lounge…I was ready to hit myself over the head with a lead pipe.

If you play the course as it is numbered on the signs, you would have to drive between the two configurations and park in separate lots. Um, no. Also, the tee signs are mediocre. They show the distances to the various positions but very little else.

The other con is more of a personal preference, but courses that emphasize distance so much lose my interest. I might feel differently if I could throw 400+ feet, but when you are throwing two full shots (and more on some holes) and then hoping you are in the vicinity of the basket, that leaves a little to be desired. As I said, I really enjoyed the five wooded holes. I just wish on a course this huge that there had been more than five.

One last note: the pins are often not visible from the tee due to the length. You really need to play the course a couple times before you're sure where you're trying to go.
Other Thoughts: This course is rightly regarded as a must visit when you're in Oregon. I liked Whistler's Bend and Horning's Hideout better, but picking your favorite Oregon course is like picking your favorite Oregon beer: the third and fourth choice is still pretty damn good. The scenery and atmosphere are well worth the drive out from Portland.

Loooong Distances

1    7/7/2011   7/7/2011
Review By: PDXDisc
Pros: What an amazing course. It's one of the few I've ever played with this kind of distance. There are also a number of very crowded technical areas in the trees as well. One of the very few courses that I've played pretty much all the discs in my bag.
Cons: Not for the beginner. The distances and trees would be very frustrating. Also, not a course to play if you are after birdies and aces. I'm really gald I played this with someone who has played a number of times. All the variation and alternate tee pads would have been super hard to navigate on my own.
Other Thoughts: Awsome destination course. If you are in the area make the effort to play this course! I truely believe this must have been created by someone who envisioned "super course" of consistent par 4's or 5's instead of the typical 3's. Oh and if anyone ever finds my Destroyer - PLEASE call. It's one of my favorites.

Milo

5+    10/20/2010   2/21/2011
Review By: cefire
Pros: First off, this place is just plain georgeous - the combination of well kept parkland and short grass with the natural beauty of the river and pines is spectacular. This is definitely on my top 10 list for most beautiful courses. Oh yeah, the golf is pretty good too :) While mostly in the open, McIver fills out *fairly well in terms of variety with a few tight wooded holes and some ample shaping shots in-between field areas. Some of the more interesting holes have defined layup zones and rewards for long, but controlled drives. Frequently players also have options to play for safe pars by withdrawing a bit from tree lines and keeping options open for the upshot. Besides the bomber par 4's and 5's, there are several fantastic par three holes which utilize elevation, effective out-of-bounds areas, and well-placed trees to keep players honest. Another huge bonus of having such a huge park is the ability to make several layouts, including the epic Beaver State Fling tournament layouts. While it doesn't quite make my 'best of' list, this course without a doubt lives up to the hype surrounding it and is worth a trip for any traveling golfer.
Cons: The two main drawbacks at Milo are the inability to effectively punish poor shots (relative to other 'cream of the crop' courses) and some of the variety off the tee. Because of the open nature of much of the course, players have ample ability to uncork distance hyzers one after the other. On many of the shots which have low ceilings, a well placed roller makes for an effective attack and I always find myself throwing 5-6 rollers off the tee per round which isn't a 'bad' thing but it seems that these holes just don't offer multiple options for making birdie.

The final con and kind of a confusing one are a couple of the tweener holes out here; those ranging from about 480-550'. In the open, nearly all players will find the hole unreachable for a birdie/eagle '2' but will be able to consistently card an easy three. Low scoring separation on these holes sometimes makes for uninteresting golf but there are certainly enough other well-designed holes to separate the wheat from the chaff.
Other Thoughts: While other players have mentioned that the course is a bit confusing to follow, which is true, I have never found it difficult to locate all of the holes and baskets. Playing the course in order though is another story!

With camping onsite and the solid Timber course just down the road, Milo makes for a great weekend.

The Great Outdoors

1    9/8/2010   12/6/2010
Review By: Daffron24
This review was updated on 1/4/2011
Pros: An absolute gem in the great pacific northwest. Milo is located a beautifully manicured state park. The course offers 27 challenging holes that is split up into two parts in the park. My advice would be to park in the parking lot of the East course. There is a map there with the layout of both the 18 hole east part and 9 hole west part. Play the first 18 than either walk or drive to the other 9 (use the map, easy to figure out).

This challenging course offers a variety of holes with distances ranging from 120-1200ft. Technical and open holes offer an array of shots required to play each hole. This is a very challenging course which will test the best of players. Luckily if you do not feel comfortable playing from the long tees there is also the amateur tees available. Most of the tees are cement with an exception of a few rubber tees. There are two holes that are shot from a well elevated wooded area which are very fun and with one shooting towards the river. The baskets are highly visible with flags on top and newer signs. The overall challenge of this course is about a 4.25/5. It is a tough and challenging course, but it is also a lot of fun and a can't miss to play.

What also adds to this amazing course is the scenic beauty. The Oregon outdoors offers one of the best sceneries you can get for disc golf anywhere. The Clackamas River runs along some of the course to add to the beauty along with a view of Mt. Hood when driving in.
Again this is a state park so it is maintained very well. The course is mowed frequently as well as tree maintenance throughout. Restrooms, running water, benches, trash bins are all available.
Cons: Sometimes it pains me to write cons for courses, but there is always something you can find wrong about a course. The big thing for me would be the navigation of the course. Some of the signs were confusing to navigate as well as the two parts of the course. Make sure to have a map of you will get confused.
Other Thoughts: A MUST PLAY if you are in Oregon. It is about an 40 minutes from Portland, but well worth every minute. This course offers it all beauty, challenge, and fun all rolled into one. There is camping located within the state park which have very nice camping grounds. The locals were extremely friendly helping us navigate a few holes which allowed us to help a group behind us later in our round. The park staff was friendly showing us were to go to dg, eat, etc. There is a parking fee ($3) which is included if you choose to camp at the park ($18 I believe). Overall this course to me is a mix of Pier Park and Hornets Hideout in terms of challenge and fun and a must play

A Week With Milo

5+    9/14/2010   9/14/2010
Review By: Uhlman
Pros: Well maintained
9, 18, or 27 holes (and at times 36)
Pro and Am tees on most holes
Beautiful old growth setting
Camping nearby
Pro, Advanced, intermediate, and Beginner friendly options
Cons: Remote (almost an hour from downtown Portland)
Can be crowded on weekends
The layout may be confusing to people who do not have a map or guide
$5 OR State Park Parking Fee
Some holes may intimidate some Beginners (i believe that there are some holes here that even intimidate pros too)
Other Thoughts: Well maintained and cared for by tenacious volunteers this course is truly one of the great courses in Oregon. The combination of long holes with wide fairways, Short technical holes, elevation changes, and all the permeations in between leaves one tired at the end of 9, 18, or 27 holes but fulfilled. The fact that there are so many ways to play the course makes spending a week a Milo worh every penny. Living far from Portland (200+ miles), I try to get to this course at least once a year however, if I lived closer I would be there more.

Very Challenging Course

1    9/11/2010   9/12/2010
Review By: jdinteg
Pros: Huge course, Challenging layout with some holes difficult to thread, and others requiring long shots with all your milk to arrive at par. Great tee pads with Pro pads brushed concrete, and Amateur pads diamond pattern concrete.
Cons: difficult layout to follow if your not a regular at the course. Many tee pads have posts and signs labeling which hole and the layout, but some do not, can easily get turned around. Running event got in our way yesterday with no warning we could find until we arrived on the course and paid our $5 fee. But still worth the inconvenience.
Other Thoughts: I would agree with many other reviewers, you have to play this course once if you live within a 1-2 hour drive, it is well worth it. I came confident in my skill, and left humbled. I will definitely be coming back.

Great for big arms

2-4    8/16/2010   8/17/2010
Review By: zombie41
Pros: *well maintained hard to lose a disc because the under brush is non existant
*Lots of benches
*Trash cans
*Bathrooms(sometimes maintained)
*Big arms welcomed. Holes almost always require a bomb
*Awesome Discatcher baskets
*hole 6e is prolly the best hole i've seen yet. However I haven't been to whistlers bend yet:)
*map and score cards available for the east west divide, not for the 27 hole coarse.
*nice big concrete tee pads(pro and AM)
*beautiful big native trees, yet wide open fairways.
Cons: *Rediculous layout. 27 holes, or East and west, or 2 18 hole? you will have people cutting in front of you and ending up behind you. I think the preferred way to play it is 18 East, and 9 west. But you will have to drive to the opposite parking lot between games. cause hole 1 east is on the opposite side of the coarse from hole 1 west.
*Tee pads are confusing, most have the signage backwards making you think you are throwing the opposite direction.
*be prepaired to wait, confusing coarse layout, causes back ups.
*not that much elevation
*holes are too far for average players to begginers. Your score will suck.
*long ways away from civilization. Portlands traffic can cause people like me who live in vancouver to play at Rooster or Dabney.
*water doesn't play a hazzard
*State park fee $5/day or $30/year.
Other Thoughts: I liked this coarse a lot. I have been playing for over 6 months now and I still don't have the arm to pay this coarse. begginers will get frusterated with a terrible score. And pros will have a great challenge.
It is a wonderfully maintained coarse along the Clackamas River, with huge fairways. The signage is frusterating and the layout is even more dreadful, but you won't lose discs that easy, so the coarse doesn't usually jam up. I would advise everyone to play it once, however if you don't usually trow 350 feet off the drive you may wanna go to hornings, dabney, or leverich. I will give it 4 stars when the layout is turned back into a 27 hole coarse. The park officials made a mistake making it an east west coarse.

Amazing

1    8/1/2010   8/1/2010
Review By: Ghost in the Darknes
Pros: Beautiful course that runs along the river. There is a great mix of technical shots and enough room to air out a big throw. I wish I lived closer because this would be a fun one to play more often. The locals were more than helpful in pointing me in the correct direction..which brings me to....
Cons: I got very confused by the 27 hole lay out. Granted I didn't do my homework before I left. But I printed out the map, and found Tee #1, thinking that after I played the 18 East, that it would run right into the 9 West. This was not the case.
Other Thoughts: What a wonderful course. I would advise everyone I knew to play this atleast once in their life, if not many more times.