Troy, MI
Firefighters Park Share

Vanilla, with a side of Vanilla

5+    4/14/2015   4/16/2015
Review By: AilyonDG
Pros: It's a nice escape in an otherwise bustling metro Detroit suburb. I've found it to be one of the better courses in the immediate area. It takes you through the paces of a more difficult course in the context of a less challenging one. There are some short wooded holes, water hazards, and some that will test all but above average distance throws.

It is a great place to practice and hone the skills you're working on. It can be played quickly, which makes twilight possible (for me). Mostly the course is short holes that are dead straight without much in between. The longer holes can be reached by someone who has above average distance, and the handful of wooded holes makes trees the only unique challenges.
I've never had a problem with non-golfers, or golfers alike. It can attract larger group play, but honestly all courses have this "problem".

It is not exempt from poor course conditions after heavy rainfall, but many of the holes remain playable after inclement weather.
Cons: The main problem with this course is its lack of imagination. I think the overall design of the course was done with minimal effort. It's straight, mostly open, and not too long. Like I've said it is before a good place to practice, but not awe inspiring. That's ok, it doesn't make it a BAD course, it just makes it an average course in the burbs this is pretty plain.
Other Thoughts: I play this course often. It's my "home" course. So I have some partiality to it I guess, and it is what it is. No World Championships will ever be hosted here, but it is a good course for casual play. With a little more effort I could go play much more challenging and higher quality courses… But, I can get to this course more frequently, and it's about an hour to play through it. For a guy with a career, a wife, and a kid, being able to still play disc golf without burning a whole day away from the family is really important.

The course has enough in it to keep things interesting. It's not as technical as something like Stoney Creek, nor is it anywhere near as long, but I try and think of it like my practice course where I make my developmental strides. So when I go and play a more challenging course I am more polished. If you are a "serious" disc golfer, and look at this course through the lens of practice or training, then you can fully appreciate it.

Layout woes. Try not to hit anyone.

1    9/30/2013   9/30/2013
Review By: apparition
Pros: + Adequate tees/tee markers
+ Baskets in good condition
+ Lots of land, with a decent walk (some bridges, the stream, etc.)
+ A somewhat mixed layout
+ Minimal tree coverage for your choice of easy lines to hit
+ Great multi-use park with facilities and whatnot
Cons: - Erosion in front of tees seems to be a problem
- Half of the holes are too close, with many chances of getting hit or hitting someone
- Lots of holes seemed to be filler holes (short, straight, boring)
- Confusing layout with no directional signs
- What the heck is up with the spike sticking out of the ground next to #10's tee pad?!
Other Thoughts: I liked my round mainly because of a friendly stranger who joined me, but overall, the pitfalls of the course were obvious. I fit a quick round in here on a beautiful Saturday in September. As an intermediate thrower, I was pretty happy shooting a par for the course. Plenty of short, filler holes to birdie and more than make up for missed putts. Not a very challenging course.

Disc golf course layout and design is huge for me. It is the most important part of a course in my opinion. Forget the baskets/tees, I can throw from grass to rusty pins all day and have fun. But if I have to throw a neutral midrange on almost every hole, I get bored. Anyway, Firefighters' layout is pretty bad. Half the holes are annoying and unimaginative, and even awful sometimes. The rest were average or good. Based on the way the course is set up, I'm assuming that the city didn't want to devote the necessary land to DG, which is fine, but there was so much more space that could have been utilized to spread the fairways out a bit and make it flow better. Directional signage would really, really help.

I don't like hole-by-hole breakdowns or rundowns, but before I go into detail of why I disliked the layout so much, suffice it to say the course flows from OK, to gross, back to OK, and finishes with one really good hole. Here are some more details: The first five holes were pretty good/average. None of them were bad. Holes #6-10 are designed poorly with the fairways/pins cramped together, and that's also when the layout got confusing. There's also a big risk of hitting someone or getting hit if it's as busy as it was when I went. Although #10 was fun to throw, you walk over the bridge, throw 50% blindly through an easy gap, and walk back over that same bridge. Try not to hit anyone. #11 was a good hole with a smaller chance of hitting someone. #12-17 were better holes with a still-confusing layout. #18 is the best hole on the course with a bridge, stream to throw over and then avoid landing in/near, and a basket with a little bit of tree coverage. Great way to end a pretty tame round.

Overall, it is a decent course. Unfortunately, I think Raintree is a better 9-hole course than Firefighters is an 18-hole course. I'd still rather play Firefighters just because it's a full-sized course, but hopefully you get what I mean.

Thanks for reading!

Average Old School Disc Golf Course

5+    9/20/2010   4/11/2011
Review By: denny ritner
This review was updated on 5/4/2011
Pros: Firefighters park is well maintained and safe. The course is easy to navigate and great for new players. The fun factor is on the higher side and the frustration factor is on the lower side.

There's virtually no schule and discs are rarely lost.

Most of the fairways offer a decent technical challenge for shots in the short to medium distance range. Players are required to throw several differently shaped shots on the course in order to go low. The ground is conducive to rollers, so it's nice to have that option on many of the holes.
Cons: As other reviewers have stated, the course gets crowded at times and decorum goes out the window. Discs tend to get stolen on occasion.

The signage is functional, but not very pretty.

The course does hold water at times on a few holes.

The challenge level tops out at the high intermediate level. This is the type of course where a player can struggle for a while to break par and then suddenly be shooting -9 on a regular basis.

Several of the holes are a bit pinball-ish in their fairways with small, "randomizer" trees.
Other Thoughts: Definitely worth a visit if you're in the area. Great for beginners and fun for all players.

Don't be a dirty discer! Leave the course cleaner than you found it.

1    8/18/2010   8/21/2010
Review By: kw83028
Pros: Good course for a beginner. I am a beginner! Plays very short and fairly wide open.
Cons: Not a lot of challenge if you're experienced. WAY too crowded with d-bag teenagers not playing and walking around randomly. The course gets VERY cramped and there are discs flying everywhere. They fit 3 fairways in a 50 foot wide area.
Other Thoughts: Decent for a beginner, probably won't lose any discs. Way too busy for me though.

mom calls it a fireman

1    9/19/2009   9/20/2009
Review By: bygwyllay
Pros: A nice big sign to greet you by the first hole. Concrete tees on every hole, and signs as well (although highly vandalized). A creek splits the course in half, with the first five or six holes on the eastern side, and the rest on the west. A few signature shots over water, and some baskets are dangerously close to the creek's banks, making you think about your approach/putt shots.
Cons: Unfortunately, too many. While the holes on the eastern side of the creek are well laid out, the ones on the west are jammed together so tight that discs are flying all around you as you play. Very difficult to concentrate. The clientele is less than desirable. Mostly high school kids following the latest trend in their own little world. This park was way too crowded. Granted, it was a weekend, but I played as the sun was going down and it was packed until the sun set. 85% percent of the holes were too short for my liking. I enjoy variety, but most of the holes were in the 250ft. range. Only one hole over 400ft. (which was probably the best hole - #3? 4? can't remember.) I just don't see myself driving all the way out to Troy to put up these downsides.
Other Thoughts: I like the park. Layout and clientele get the course marked down. I would play it again if I lived closer, but it's just not worth it since I live on the west side of the metro area.