Troy, MI
Firefighters Park Share

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5

2-4    6/2/2016   6/10/2016
Review By: torihanus
Pros: 1.) Course is located in the suburbs of Detroit; however, it has the "feel" of being out in nature. Course isn't the only thing you can do at this park. There is a football field, multiple soccer fields, places to grill out, sand volleyball courts, etc.

2.) Baskets are double-chained and in good condition.

3.) Concrete tee pads at every hole.

4.) Course is free to play, which is always a bonus when you're playing in the city.

5.) Course is family-friendly. I saw multiple families out on the course with their young children while I was out there playing. I have only been playing for a little over a year, so I thought this was refreshing from the normal disc golf crowds. It was cool to see such young kids getting out there and playing.

6.) Course is clean, fairways were nicely cut, and wood chips surrounding the baskets.

7.) One part of the layout that I did like was that you could either start at hole one or 10, depending on traffic. You didn't have to feel objected to do all 18 holes, since holes nine and 18 were close to the parking lot.
Cons: 1.) Signage was mediocre. Signage consisted of hole number, an arrow pointing in the direction of the basket, and feet away from the basket. Granted, you could see the basket from the tee pads at every hole; however, I do prefer when I have a basic map in front of me showing you where the basket is.

2.) Personally, I wasn't impressed with the layout of this course, and I quickly became bored. There were several holes that were too closely knitted together. On two separate occasions, I almost got hit by a guy who was playing a hole ahead of us. Most of the holes had a few trees scattered on the fairway, and they were a pitch and a putt. There was only two challenges on the course that I thought were relatively decent, holes 10 and 18 (water holes).

3.) Navigation was less than superb. With some of the fairways being back to back, it could get confusing for first-timers like myself.

4.) This course can get pretty crowded fairly quickly, depending on what time or day you head out there. However all the people I met out there were friendly. The first time my boyfriend and I were out there, we paired up with two guys, so that we weren't waiting in line as long.

Underrated

1    6/5/2016   6/8/2016
Review By: lVlrBoJang1es
Pros: Good variety of holes.
Not extremely challenging.
Only 2 or 3 holes where losing a disc is a possibility.
Cons: Not overly challenging.
Confusing layout after the first few holes.
Risk of hitting civilians on the first few holes - they are very near to a shelter/grilling area.
Other Thoughts: This course plays nicely.

There are a few holes that present a water hazard which usually has a fast moving current. If you manage to place a disk in the stream, don't hesitate in trying to retrieve it because it only take a few moments for the flow to move the disk off your throwing line or sink it to the murky bottom.

The course starts with a few relatively open holes to get you warmed up. You'll run into a mix of wooded and open-field style holes in the 2nd half of the course. You have to cross over a bridge twice at points in the course that aren't clearly marked. The tee shot over the stream (immediately after you cross the bridge the 2nd time) is my favorite!

You go out with a bang on the last hole. It's a design that feels closer to what you'd experience at a more refined course - an open area tee shot that requires you to either lay up, or go long over a bridged brush hazard that stretches horizontally across the entire fairway. If you overshoot the basket on your 2nd shot once you clear the brush hazard, you can easily fly into the stream that runs the length of the course. This high risk/high reward can make or break your round (easy to lose a disk here).

Although Kensington is my favorite course, this is the best in terms of convenience when living in Royal Oak.

Vanilla, with a side of Vanilla

5+    4/14/2015   4/16/2015
Review By: AilyonDG
Pros: It's a nice escape in an otherwise bustling metro Detroit suburb. I've found it to be one of the better courses in the immediate area. It takes you through the paces of a more difficult course in the context of a less challenging one. There are some short wooded holes, water hazards, and some that will test all but above average distance throws.

It is a great place to practice and hone the skills you're working on. It can be played quickly, which makes twilight possible (for me). Mostly the course is short holes that are dead straight without much in between. The longer holes can be reached by someone who has above average distance, and the handful of wooded holes makes trees the only unique challenges.
I've never had a problem with non-golfers, or golfers alike. It can attract larger group play, but honestly all courses have this "problem".

It is not exempt from poor course conditions after heavy rainfall, but many of the holes remain playable after inclement weather.
Cons: The main problem with this course is its lack of imagination. I think the overall design of the course was done with minimal effort. It's straight, mostly open, and not too long. Like I've said it is before a good place to practice, but not awe inspiring. That's ok, it doesn't make it a BAD course, it just makes it an average course in the burbs this is pretty plain.
Other Thoughts: I play this course often. It's my "home" course. So I have some partiality to it I guess, and it is what it is. No World Championships will ever be hosted here, but it is a good course for casual play. With a little more effort I could go play much more challenging and higher quality courses... But, I can get to this course more frequently, and it's about an hour to play through it. For a guy with a career, a wife, and a kid, being able to still play disc golf without burning a whole day away from the family is really important.

The course has enough in it to keep things interesting. It's not as technical as something like Stoney Creek, nor is it anywhere near as long, but I try and think of it like my practice course where I make my developmental strides. So when I go and play a more challenging course I am more polished. If you are a "serious" disc golfer, and look at this course through the lens of practice or training, then you can fully appreciate it.

Fun Course

5+    6/19/2014   6/22/2014
Review By: Sean525
This review was updated on 3/18/2015
Pros: Definitely a good course for beginners and players of all skill levels.

Lots of tree love/hate.

Glad the park staff finally took down the graffitied signs and replaced them with wood stakes.

Down the road from my house.

Great outdoor park and it's free!
Cons: This place can get really congested with crowds, especially on the weekends. Lots of casuals.

Civilians sometimes get in the way.

Careful of the Rouge River, I've lost a couple discs in that current.

Litterbugs are a problem. I wouldn't recommend walking around barefoot or bringing your dog because there is broken glass in some areas.

Other Thoughts: Bring bug spray, quite a few skeeters in the back 9.

Civilians tend to not realize they're walking on the course. Don't insult or shout at them, they have every right to be there just as much as you. Be courteous, kindly remind them that you are playing a game, and give them a heads up before you throw.

If you're going with a huge group, please be considerate and split into groups of 3 or 4 rather than a group of 10. Keep the pace steady for everybody else using the course. Since it's a free park it's going to attract a lot of casuals. Please use golf etiquette.

I usually play early to avoid the crowds and leagues.

Please don't litter and don't bring glass.

Reminds me of a lot of courses I know

1    4/21/2014   4/22/2014
Review By: apdrvya
Pros:
Aesthetic-- plays through a very large multi-use park. Areas for DG are mostly DG exclusive but there are a few walking paths that intermingle.

Teepads-- Nice and in good shape. Adequate length for hole length.

Baskets-- all present and accounted for. some were a bit wobby and wonky but served their purpose well.

Routing and Nav-- I have to disagree with some of the other reviews. I think this course flows nicely. One gripe is the closeness of teepad to previous basket on a few holes.

Variety/water-- there are a lot of different holes here and the woods/ water are used very effectively. #10 over the water is a fun little hole that should/could have been repeated once or twice more. The water comes into play on several holes and that creek is a bit deeper than it looks ;)

Teesigns-- effective yet simple.. identical to raintrees.
Cons:
Very straightforward/Challenge-- the challenge in this course is not really all that high. Most holes are mid to fairway driver length and are straightforward. a lot of flex shots are required here.

Glass-- there is a lot of glass on the course in multiple places.

I found the locals to be more than accommodating. I, as a single player, was never expected to play behind a large group. Always was let go through or play a hole with the locals.
I really liked this place. Had good vibes all over it.

Great 18 holes

5+    10/7/2013   10/7/2013
Review By: PallMall
Pros: Excellent course all around for beginners to pros alike.
Cons: sometimes the crowds are massive, but only on rare occasions.
Other Thoughts: lost an old avenger tie die with 3 aces on it, if found contact me (mike) and i will pay 20 for it back

Layout woes. Try not to hit anyone.

1    9/30/2013   9/30/2013
Review By: apparition
Pros: + Adequate tees/tee markers
+ Baskets in good condition
+ Lots of land, with a decent walk (some bridges, the stream, etc.)
+ A somewhat mixed layout
+ Minimal tree coverage for your choice of easy lines to hit
+ Great multi-use park with facilities and whatnot
Cons: - Erosion in front of tees seems to be a problem
- Half of the holes are too close, with many chances of getting hit or hitting someone
- Lots of holes seemed to be filler holes (short, straight, boring)
- Confusing layout with no directional signs
- What the heck is up with the spike sticking out of the ground next to #10's tee pad?!
Other Thoughts: I liked my round mainly because of a friendly stranger who joined me, but overall, the pitfalls of the course were obvious. I fit a quick round in here on a beautiful Saturday in September. As an intermediate thrower, I was pretty happy shooting a par for the course. Plenty of short, filler holes to birdie and more than make up for missed putts. Not a very challenging course.

Disc golf course layout and design is huge for me. It is the most important part of a course in my opinion. Forget the baskets/tees, I can throw from grass to rusty pins all day and have fun. But if I have to throw a neutral midrange on almost every hole, I get bored. Anyway, Firefighters' layout is pretty bad. Half the holes are annoying and unimaginative, and even awful sometimes. The rest were average or good. Based on the way the course is set up, I'm assuming that the city didn't want to devote the necessary land to DG, which is fine, but there was so much more space that could have been utilized to spread the fairways out a bit and make it flow better. Directional signage would really, really help.

I don't like hole-by-hole breakdowns or rundowns, but before I go into detail of why I disliked the layout so much, suffice it to say the course flows from OK, to gross, back to OK, and finishes with one really good hole. Here are some more details: The first five holes were pretty good/average. None of them were bad. Holes #6-10 are designed poorly with the fairways/pins cramped together, and that's also when the layout got confusing. There's also a big risk of hitting someone or getting hit if it's as busy as it was when I went. Although #10 was fun to throw, you walk over the bridge, throw 50% blindly through an easy gap, and walk back over that same bridge. Try not to hit anyone. #11 was a good hole with a smaller chance of hitting someone. #12-17 were better holes with a still-confusing layout. #18 is the best hole on the course with a bridge, stream to throw over and then avoid landing in/near, and a basket with a little bit of tree coverage. Great way to end a pretty tame round.

Overall, it is a decent course. Unfortunately, I think Raintree is a better 9-hole course than Firefighters is an 18-hole course. I'd still rather play Firefighters just because it's a full-sized course, but hopefully you get what I mean.

Thanks for reading!

Home Base

1    9/21/2013   9/26/2013
Review By: Moff
Pros: This course is always clean and well maintained. It also has a nice mix of distances and technical levels. Also the creek is normally clean and shallow so if you happen to pitch a disc into the drink you will more often than not get it back.
Cons: This park can get busy, however almost everyone I've met have been extraordinarily nice.
Other Thoughts: Go Throw

Firefighters

1    7/30/2012   7/30/2012
Review By: zombie brain
Pros: Decent holes long and short not to busy fun times
Cons: They changed a few holes and there were no markers for distance or par
Other Thoughts: Overall not a bad course would play again and recommend for others to play. Not really any elevation but still fun

Good Course Overall

1    7/20/2012   7/20/2012
Review By: MoeDiscGolf06
Pros: -Holes weren't too long, but they were long enough to need a good drive
-Nice concrete tees-lots of room for a run-up
-Easy to find most of the tees without a map
-Wasn't too busy during the late afternoon
-Not too many places to lose a disc, except in the creek
-Park kept very clean
Cons: -Hole 10's tee is hard to find if you've never been here before
-A couple of the tee signs were missing, and most had graffiti/black paint all over them
-2 or 3 of the baskets seemed abnormally higher than the others
Other Thoughts: Intermediate level course. I wouldn't recommend this course for a first-timer, but players with at least a few months of experience would do well here.
The baskets weren't too close to the next tee, so there wasn't really any chance of hitting someone with a bad throw.
Overall, this was a really nice course, and I would definitely recommend checking it out!

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5