Princeton Jct., NJ
Mercer County Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: K. Butter Hole #2 (Taken 10/2013)
Hole #2 Short Tee

< Prev 1 2 3
Mercer County Park = Awesome

2-4    11/9/2013   12/22/2013
Review By: EWSdiscgolf
This review was updated on 1/1/2014
Pros: - Nice baskets, they were in perfect shape
- Signs to guide you to the course
- A practice basket was there
- A fast nine holes
- One hole was 127 feet and it was over a tree, awesome!
Cons: - Crazy Pars, they were not very right.
- Tee boxes were too small
- Hole one was a weird shot
- Gopher holes are everywhere!
Other Thoughts: This is your middle course out of 3, most likely.

Close to home; A place to play

5+    9/21/2013   11/17/2013
Review By: DiscFlicker77
Pros: -It is close for many players and good course for beginners.
-Good course if you like to roll your discs.
Cons: -HOLES ARE SHORT AND PARS AREN'T RIGHT. Every hole should be a par 3. Some could even be a 2.
-The rough is thick, nasty and unforgiving. I, along with friends, have lost a lot of discs here. I have also found multiple discs from others while looking for my own.
Other Thoughts: My dad and I were looking for shed deer antlers when we stumbled upon the course. Never heard of disc golf before that but I tried it out and became addicted, like most. There is plenty of room in this park for them to add another 9 holes or put in a nice 18 hole course if they had the funding.

Home Course.

5+    10/7/2013   10/7/2013
Review By: FlyingHyzer
This review was updated on 5/28/2014
Pros: -Good for area residents who want to play a quick 9 or 18, or if you're passing through.
-Practice basket in usable area now.
-It's a place to play.
-Water fountains in adjacent soccer fields.
-Great course for beginners.
-Well maintained, grass cut regularly.
--- MCDGC is making a lot of changes to the course.
--- new tee areas on most holes.
--- a lot of the Russian olives have been trimmed up and removed.
--- hole 3's basket is moved to a new location.
Cons: -As others have stated, tee boxes are far too short. I start behind them, which poses a tripping hazard.
-A few holes are just poorly designed.
-Signs aren't very helpful, and distances aren't all correct.
-Pars are kind of unrealistic, but thats great for a beginners ego. EDIT: pars have been changed.
-ROUGH IS NASTY!!! Will swallow discs up whole.
-Full of poison ivy, ticks, and sticker bushes.
Other Thoughts: This is my home course and we recently formed a club out here, Mercer County Disc Golf Club. We've been busting our humps trying to improve to course so people can come and enjoy it. Check for the new tee areas which are all natural tee pads for now. Here are the new holes to check out 2b (in the woods to the right of 2a), 3a 3b, 4a (look for a path at the end of hole 3) 4b (walk out to original 4a look for the "4b" sign on the left and follow path to teepad). 5b (in the woods to the left of 5a). 9a. Course is coming along nicely I encourage you to come check it out if you didn't like it before, give it another chance!

Nice little short course with mean ruff!

5+    9/20/2013   9/9/2013
Review By: Fishfood
This review was updated on 11/3/2013
Pros: Good for a quick round of 9 or 18 using the optional tee placements. Grassy fairways with woods and or high ruff makes for a fun round of DG. Ruff can be deep and with nasties (poison ivy sticker bushes), stay on course or risk potentially loosing your favorite disc. The biggest challenge here, otherwise it's pretty straight forward. Tee pads are gravel and there are signs at every hole with a good description of the hole layout.
Cons: Tee boxes are 24" too short and are badly in need of raking. The whole course plays like a big left hand turn. It would be a step forward to re-work the course and possibly create 9 more additional holes using the adjacent forest to create a very sweet course. Word is the Park Service doesn't want to engage in the venture.
Other Thoughts: This is a small, albeit fun, 9 hole course that is well maintained by the park service...just wish they would use any of the available land to expand the course.
9/20 additional note: Played a round of night golf here. Due to the park being open late with all the ball games under the lights..you can get some night golf in here without issues.
10/27- I've been trimming the course for the past 2 months and raking most of the tee boxes....this course needs a club to adopt this DGC and hopefully make a true 18 hole course using the existing woods....will see what develops...I'm thinking of getting some interest together and organizing the regular players.

Fun Course

5+    8/15/2013   8/15/2013
Review By: seanyboyhoward
This review was updated on 6/21/2014
Pros: There is work being down by the MCDGC and you can tell! Homes 2-4 have developed greatly from what they used to be! Technical and open field holes makes for a great round of disc.
Cons: The rough. Holes 6,7,8 are surround by this rough!
Other Thoughts: This is a great course that has so much more potential. The work that is being done is making me eager to play there for years to come. Good Job MCDGC.

Great beginners course

1    4/19/2013   4/20/2013
Review By: Dupree721
Pros: It is a very condensed course. Near every pin is a teepad for the next hole. 9 holes with 2 different teepads per hole makes for 18 holes that can be challenging.

I played this course and literally no one else was there. I had the entire course to myself which was nice.
Cons: Every hole goes either straight or hyzer. It isn't THAT easy though, as there are many trees and obstacles to wrap around.

The signage wasn't nice looking, but I did need to take a peek to see what general direction I was throwing to.
Other Thoughts: Not a bad beginners course and I will probably shoot a quick 9 when I'm in the area again!

The Good, The Bad, and Mercer.

5+    12/14/2012   12/31/2012
Review By: K. Butter
Pros: I play this course all the time since it's only a few minutes from home. Very good beginner course (I've taught a few friends the disc golf basics here many times. Fun to play even for advanced players. Signage is excellent and makes for easy course navigation. Tee pads are in decent condition. Dual tees (long/short) make it a quick and decent 18 hole course.
Cons: The racetrack layout clearly shows it was designed for righties. Dogleg left, dogleg left…Definitely needs some variety to make it more challenging and not just cater to RHBH throwers (this coming from me, a RHBH player).

Tee pads are on the short side. They need to be at least another 4 feet in length. They're elevated above the ground but the gravel is showing signs of settlement and rutting. This makes you worry more about face planting from uneven footing. Concrete slabs would alleviate any tee pad woes.
Other Thoughts: Watch out for gopher holes! (They're everywhere)

Playing this course numerous times, we've come up with a few new holes to mix it up a bit. Pay in mind this should only be done when there is no one else playing in front of or behind you. Play the course normally until #6. From #6 short tee, shoot back to #5 basket. From #5 basket, shoot across the high grass to #8 basket. Continue towards #9, however, cut back into where the power lines run (dirt road) and shoot to the practice basket. From the practice basket, shoot to the #9 basket.

This could easily be a nice 18 hole course if an additional back 9 were put in. The forested area near #7 and #8 would make for a great "in to the woods" section.

At Least I Bagged NJ... and found some Thai Food

1    10/15/2012   10/27/2012
Review By: DSCJNKY
Pros:
- I Got to Bag NJ. Mercer County Park DGC certainly wasn't the best course I've ever played; but, it had tee-pads, tee-signs, and baskets… and therefore, qualifies as a course, making NJ my 24th state played.
- Along My Route. I was on a 10 day road-trip to bag at least one course in each state in the Northeast. Due to timeframes and drive times, Mercer County Park became my NJ course by necessity. It was decently close to the I-95 and was easy to bag and get moving north again (after eating some Thai food).
- Ploy Siam. It can't be a good thing when the reviewer is talking about the Thai Restaurant they stumbled upon about a mile-and-a-half away from the course in the "Pros" section instead of the course. Ploy Siam was FANTASTIC… (a little pricey, but worth it). I had the Yellow Curry: Amazing! The "broth" was thick and had deep curry flavors, and was decently spicy. My girlfriend had Pad Siew: also amazing. Because they actually used Chinese broccoli, instead of the standard broccoli, she was sold. Thom Ka soup: very tasty!
- There were 3 Decent Holes (Maybe). That might be an overstatement; but Holes 2, 6, and 8 we decent enough holes. They were at least approachable as actual disc golf holes.
Cons:
- Unrealistic Flight Paths. Several of the holes had particularly wonky flight paths: early turns followed by long straights, triple s-turn flight paths, and some blind spike hyzers with extremely dense -- your disc might as well be lost -- rough. Clearly the course was designed by a non-disc golfer.
- Huge Park / Tiny Course. Mercer County Park is HUGE. When I initially pulled into the park I saw expansive grass fields with sporadic large trees and was extremely hopeful for the course I was about to play… however, it was not to be; someone crammed this 9-hole course onto a postage stamp in the center of the park. 200-300 acre park minimum and the course uses about 3 acres, maybe.
- Thick Rough. The rough at Mercer is as thick as I've ever seen. If you go deep in the woods, you might as well forget about getting your disc back. Use a spotter. I had my girlfriend spotting for me and we spent twenty minutes looking for one of my discs that was more or less on the edge of the rough, but in the open (and I'm pretty good about finding discs).
- Overall. A non-disc golfer built the course (I hope). The holes either have an extremely awkward flight path or are a little stretched out in length for their own good, especially considering the thickness of the rough. One upside is that the course is in an extremely large park, and there is plenty of land in the park to have a killer course -- if enough local disc golfers can get together and persuade the park department about expanding the course. Aside from that, the best part about the course is that it's close to the I-95 and provides the opportunity to bag a course in NJ. If bagging new courses / states played is your thing, and Mercer is all you have time for, by all means stop… otherwise, keep driving. (unless you like Thai food)

Good beginner course

1    6/5/2012   6/6/2012
Review By: raynger27
Pros: I stopped by this course while on a business trip. It was easy to find, there was nice signage to help locate the course once inside the park. It is a well kept course in a virtual disc golf dead zone. The course is set in an area of the park that is disc golf exclusive, so encounters with other park goers seems rare. The fairways are well kept and relatively well defined. Finding the next tee from the previous basket is easy, just follow the well defined mowed areas. The baskets are in terrific shape.
Cons: The course is slightly awkward with sharp turns off the tee, hole 3 in particular. It is very RHBH dominant and the pars are very very generous. I would take a shot off each listed par 4 and 5 to make the scoring more realistic. You can probably play them all as par 3's. A 245 ft par 4? I don't think so.

There were many gopher holes dotting the fairways as well, I stepped in one and could see someone really getting hurt and twisting an ankle if they aren't careful. The tee signs, though nice looking, aren't as straightforward as they seem. I tried to get my bearings by locating the two tee boxes at each hole and then extrapolating from that information where the basket was. Some signs are way off and I had to run ahead to locate the basket, then run back to the tee to ensure I didn't throw an aimless shot into the woods. Holes 7 and 9 come to mind as being laid out completely differently than their respective signs show. As others have stated, the tee boxes are extremely short, though at least it is nice to have defined tee boxes.

I like the idea of having two tees for each basket to attempt to make this an 18 hole course, but this can lead to overlapping with other players and getting in each other's way.
Other Thoughts: Finding the first tee was a bit tricky, even with the signs. As others have said, it would make more sense for hole 2 to be hole 1 due to proximity to the parking lot.

I only played 9 holes off the 'A' tees due to rain and lack of time. This is a decent starter course that will hopefully have some improvements made. I am from the Lehigh Valley, so I may be spoiled with all the good courses in my area. But with nothing else around for miles, this course is a decent play.

Not too shabby....

1    4/23/2012   5/7/2012
Review By: Kavie_Large
Pros: Nice quick 9. Some nice long open fairways. Quick in and out. Not too challenging and a good place to cut your teeth.
Flat as a board.
Cons: Not the best tee signage. A little confusing on 9 and whatever hole i threw it totally perpendicular to the fairway past the other tee box into the thorns. My directions were not so good as the street name its on has two different sections in the area.
Flat as a board.
Other Thoughts: I played this course in a nor'easter and still was only 4 over. I'm not sure whether that's an indictment on this course's level of difficulty or my poor decision making abilities.
Danger Danger High Voltage!

< Prev 1 2 3