West Windsor Township, NJ
Mercer County Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: Aupps Hole #1 (Taken 2/2011)
Hole #1 'A' Tee Sign

< Prev 1 2 3
Going to try again when it's colder

1    7/3/2016   7/14/2016
Review By: Gunslinger82
Pros: Easy to park in a dirt lot within a much larger park.
Challenging but not difficult shots for a new or advanced player.
Multiple tee positions for each hole and nice wide baskets.
Lost Disc Box at the beginning of hole 2.
Signage is broken plywood with sharpie directing you to each hole. (very accurate)
Cons: Poison Ivy Poison Ivy Poison Ivy
Extremely thick underbrush flanks much of the course. Losing a disc is an absolute possibility
Very few solid teepads.
Signage is broken plywood with sharpie directing you to each hole. (although accurate, kind of lame)
Other Thoughts: I really like the looks of this course and would probably play here more if it wasn't for the poison ivy. One errant throw and you'll be itching for weeks. There's no water to lose a disc in but I did hit a couple of really thick bushes. At one point my disc was so swallowed by a bush that there was no recovery or escape shot I could throw. I had to take a penalty and crawl to get it out. Sure, this has more to do with my own terrible play than I'd like to admit but what a penalty for a poor throw!

Well maintained 9 hole course

1    5/12/2016   5/12/2016
Review By: gbikofsky
Pros: The course and overall park is beautiful and well maintained. The course has just enough obstacles to make it challenging. Once you find hole number one, the signage is pretty good.
Cons: Hole #1 is pretty far from the parking lot, so you either must park on the dirt road or start with hole #2. The rough is thick. I would not want to have to find a disc in it.

Hmm...

2-4    7/9/2014   12/22/2013
Review By: EWSdiscgolf
This review was updated on 11/11/2015
Pros: - Now that the pars are normal and not out of whack, they have good tee signs
- There is also great signage leading you to the course, various Mercer County Disc Golf signs
- There was a practice basket near the first tee
- If you are in a rush, Mercer County won't take that long
- There is a mix of open and tight holes
- I like the new tee pad positions, there aren't any 120 foot blind shots over trees
Cons: - In the summer, this course can get pretty intense. If you throw your disc into the rough, you might as well just wave to it and keep on going because there is no way that you are going to find your disc.
- I really don't approve of hole one. From the short tees you have to do a weird angled hyzer, hope to end up in the fairway without hitting a tree, then throw a 150 foot approach shot with the heavy rough right on your left. From the long tees, it is a different story. You have to throw a shot that goes through this tiny little window, and if you hit a tree and go down, you will probably not get a par on the hole. They should think about changing hole 1.
- Lastly, there are tons of gopher holes, and you can easily step in one and twist your ankle
Other Thoughts: I really don't know what to think about this course. Sometimes I like it but sometimes I just want to tear out the course because I think it is so bad. So I will give it a 2.5 because sometimes it is a 3.5 and sometimes it is a 0.5.

Close to home; A place to play

5+    3/29/2015   11/17/2013
Review By: DiscFlicker77
This review was updated on 4/5/2015
Pros: -Constant improvements are done to this course.
-Some big drives as well as skill shots.
-It is close for many players and good course for beginners.
-Good course if you like to roll your discs.
Cons: Not many cons nowadays
-Lots of groundhog holes but course maintainers have filled most and made other holes visible.
Other Thoughts: Recently talked to new course planner and was told they acquired the patch of woods behind the soccer fields for an additional 9 holes. Every week when I go more is being done to improve this course.

Home Course.

5+    10/7/2013   10/7/2013
Review By: FlyingHyzer
This review was updated on 5/28/2014
Pros: -Good for area residents who want to play a quick 9 or 18, or if you're passing through.
-Practice basket in usable area now.
-It's a place to play.
-Water fountains in adjacent soccer fields.
-Great course for beginners.
-Well maintained, grass cut regularly.
--- MCDGC is making a lot of changes to the course.
--- new tee areas on most holes.
--- a lot of the Russian olives have been trimmed up and removed.
--- hole 3's basket is moved to a new location.
Cons: -As others have stated, tee boxes are far too short. I start behind them, which poses a tripping hazard.
-A few holes are just poorly designed.
-Signs aren't very helpful, and distances aren't all correct.
-Pars are kind of unrealistic, but thats great for a beginners ego. EDIT: pars have been changed.
-ROUGH IS NASTY!!! Will swallow discs up whole.
-Full of poison ivy, ticks, and sticker bushes.
Other Thoughts: This is my home course and we recently formed a club out here, Mercer County Disc Golf Club. We've been busting our humps trying to improve to course so people can come and enjoy it. Check for the new tee areas which are all natural tee pads for now. Here are the new holes to check out 2b (in the woods to the right of 2a), 3a 3b, 4a (look for a path at the end of hole 3) 4b (walk out to original 4a look for the "4b" sign on the left and follow path to teepad). 5b (in the woods to the left of 5a). 9a. Course is coming along nicely I encourage you to come check it out if you didn't like it before, give it another chance!

Nice little short course with mean ruff!

5+    9/20/2013   9/9/2013
Review By: Fishfood
This review was updated on 11/3/2013
Pros: Good for a quick round of 9 or 18 using the optional tee placements. Grassy fairways with woods and or high ruff makes for a fun round of DG. Ruff can be deep and with nasties (poison ivy sticker bushes), stay on course or risk potentially loosing your favorite disc. The biggest challenge here, otherwise it's pretty straight forward. Tee pads are gravel and there are signs at every hole with a good description of the hole layout.
Cons: Tee boxes are 24" too short and are badly in need of raking. The whole course plays like a big left hand turn. It would be a step forward to re-work the course and possibly create 9 more additional holes using the adjacent forest to create a very sweet course. Word is the Park Service doesn't want to engage in the venture.
Other Thoughts: This is a small, albeit fun, 9 hole course that is well maintained by the park service...just wish they would use any of the available land to expand the course.
9/20 additional note: Played a round of night golf here. Due to the park being open late with all the ball games under the lights..you can get some night golf in here without issues.
10/27- I've been trimming the course for the past 2 months and raking most of the tee boxes....this course needs a club to adopt this DGC and hopefully make a true 18 hole course using the existing woods....will see what develops...I'm thinking of getting some interest together and organizing the regular players.

Fun Course

5+    10/12/2014   8/15/2013
Review By: seanyboyhoward
This review was updated on 10/12/2014
Pros: There is work being down by the MCDGC and you can tell! Homes 2-4 have developed greatly from what they used to be! Technical and open field holes makes for a great round of disc.
Other Thoughts: This is a great course that has so much more potential. The work that is being done is making me eager to play there for years to come. Good Job MCDGC.

Great beginners course

1    4/19/2013   4/20/2013
Review By: Dupree721
Pros: It is a very condensed course. Near every pin is a teepad for the next hole. 9 holes with 2 different teepads per hole makes for 18 holes that can be challenging.

I played this course and literally no one else was there. I had the entire course to myself which was nice.
Cons: Every hole goes either straight or hyzer. It isn't THAT easy though, as there are many trees and obstacles to wrap around.

The signage wasn't nice looking, but I did need to take a peek to see what general direction I was throwing to.
Other Thoughts: Not a bad beginners course and I will probably shoot a quick 9 when I'm in the area again!

The Good, The Bad, and Mercer.

5+    12/14/2012   12/31/2012
Review By: K. Butter
Pros: I play this course all the time since it's only a few minutes from home. Very good beginner course (I've taught a few friends the disc golf basics here many times. Fun to play even for advanced players. Signage is excellent and makes for easy course navigation. Tee pads are in decent condition. Dual tees (long/short) make it a quick and decent 18 hole course.
Cons: The racetrack layout clearly shows it was designed for righties. Dogleg left, dogleg left...Definitely needs some variety to make it more challenging and not just cater to RHBH throwers (this coming from me, a RHBH player).

Tee pads are on the short side. They need to be at least another 4 feet in length. They're elevated above the ground but the gravel is showing signs of settlement and rutting. This makes you worry more about face planting from uneven footing. Concrete slabs would alleviate any tee pad woes.
Other Thoughts: Watch out for gopher holes! (They're everywhere)

Playing this course numerous times, we've come up with a few new holes to mix it up a bit. Pay in mind this should only be done when there is no one else playing in front of or behind you. Play the course normally until #6. From #6 short tee, shoot back to #5 basket. From #5 basket, shoot across the high grass to #8 basket. Continue towards #9, however, cut back into where the power lines run (dirt road) and shoot to the practice basket. From the practice basket, shoot to the #9 basket.

This could easily be a nice 18 hole course if an additional back 9 were put in. The forested area near #7 and #8 would make for a great "in to the woods" section.

At Least I Bagged NJ... and found some Thai Food

1    10/15/2012   10/27/2012
Review By: DSCJNKY
Pros:
- I Got to Bag NJ. Mercer County Park DGC certainly wasn't the best course I've ever played; but, it had tee-pads, tee-signs, and baskets... and therefore, qualifies as a course, making NJ my 24th state played.
- Along My Route. I was on a 10 day road-trip to bag at least one course in each state in the Northeast. Due to timeframes and drive times, Mercer County Park became my NJ course by necessity. It was decently close to the I-95 and was easy to bag and get moving north again (after eating some Thai food).
- Ploy Siam. It can't be a good thing when the reviewer is talking about the Thai Restaurant they stumbled upon about a mile-and-a-half away from the course in the "Pros" section instead of the course. Ploy Siam was FANTASTIC... (a little pricey, but worth it). I had the Yellow Curry: Amazing! The "broth" was thick and had deep curry flavors, and was decently spicy. My girlfriend had Pad Siew: also amazing. Because they actually used Chinese broccoli, instead of the standard broccoli, she was sold. Thom Ka soup: very tasty!
- There were 3 Decent Holes (Maybe). That might be an overstatement; but Holes 2, 6, and 8 we decent enough holes. They were at least approachable as actual disc golf holes.
Cons:
- Unrealistic Flight Paths. Several of the holes had particularly wonky flight paths: early turns followed by long straights, triple s-turn flight paths, and some blind spike hyzers with extremely dense -- your disc might as well be lost -- rough. Clearly the course was designed by a non-disc golfer.
- Huge Park / Tiny Course. Mercer County Park is HUGE. When I initially pulled into the park I saw expansive grass fields with sporadic large trees and was extremely hopeful for the course I was about to play... however, it was not to be; someone crammed this 9-hole course onto a postage stamp in the center of the park. 200-300 acre park minimum and the course uses about 3 acres, maybe.
- Thick Rough. The rough at Mercer is as thick as I've ever seen. If you go deep in the woods, you might as well forget about getting your disc back. Use a spotter. I had my girlfriend spotting for me and we spent twenty minutes looking for one of my discs that was more or less on the edge of the rough, but in the open (and I'm pretty good about finding discs).
- Overall. A non-disc golfer built the course (I hope). The holes either have an extremely awkward flight path or are a little stretched out in length for their own good, especially considering the thickness of the rough. One upside is that the course is in an extremely large park, and there is plenty of land in the park to have a killer course -- if enough local disc golfers can get together and persuade the park department about expanding the course. Aside from that, the best part about the course is that it's close to the I-95 and provides the opportunity to bag a course in NJ. If bagging new courses / states played is your thing, and Mercer is all you have time for, by all means stop... otherwise, keep driving. (unless you like Thai food)

< Prev 1 2 3