Riverdale, UT
Riverpark DGC Share
Uploaded By: jasonandsharon Hole #7 (Taken 8/2016)

How Many Times Playing Before You Realize You Like A Course?

5+    8/5/2016   8/29/2016
Review By: jasonandsharon
Pros: Apparently the answer is 5, because I had to play this course 5 times before I started to realize that I actually did like this course. My first time playing I was hopelessly lost on navigation even with the darn map, it took me probably an extra hour to an hour and a half longer to play than it should have and I was not at all thrilled by the course. The second time playing I did better but I still managed to get lost, maybe an extra 15-20 minutes trying to figure my way around and a lot of muttering to myself and cussing. The third time I thought I had a pretty good handle on the course but I ended up playing with a couple of locals and I thought I didn't really have to worry about navigating up until the point they got lost, and another 15-20 minutes trying to figure out what we did wrong. By the way, when even the locals get lost, you may have a problem. The fourth time playing I concentrated all the way through on navigation and finely managed to get it right but I was so worried about navigation I didn't really relax and actually have any fun. The fifth time playing I actually was able to relax, have fun and able to realize I actually did enjoy this course. So I guess the point is, if you've only played the course once or twice, give it a few more times before making a decision you might find yourself enjoying it more each time.

This is a huge course with 27 holes , or rather I should say it is an 18 hole course with 9 additional bonus holes thrown in as that is really how it is laid out, more on that in cons. It has long, medium, and short tees on most holes with tees being rubber mats on most and just plain dirt on a few others. There are 27 Mach V baskets that do the job, and most of the main 18 holes had trashcans and benches. The first tee is a little bit of a walk east from the main parking lot, and I heard from one of the locals the day after I last played there was a fire in the in-between which closed the course down for a bit. I only heard I didn't get to verify.

The course is fairly diversified with quite a mix of shots, from really open field shots framed by large trees to much more denser foliage farther into the course, there really is a good variety of shots to keep players of all skill levels challenged and satisfied. The original 18 are well groomed and maintained with stenciled on numbered trash cans on every hole. The bonus holes, well that's another story. All of the original 18 fairways were all shortly mowed field grass or hardpan soil that allowed great skips and a few rollers with large mature trees dotting the landscape forcing the sculpting of shots. With the multiple tees there are good options for all players of every skill level. The holes range in distance from 150 feet on some of the shorter tees to well over 400 feet for the longer ones. For the most part the course is fairly disc golf exclusive, save for a bike trail than runs through it, but for the most part is out of the way.
Cons: Navigation. This is probably the single most thing keeping the course from earning higher marks, most of the other cons can be dismissed or balanced against all the pros, but most first timers are going to hate it here without a guide or time to discover the course. There are no indicators to tell you where the next tee is but there are a multitude of paths leading off into all different directions.

Aesthetics. This course does not give off a great first impression as when you walk up to hole 1 as it looks like you're heading into a dump.

Flat. The course plays almost perfectly flat, with no real elevation changes on any hole.

Tees. The rubber mat tees look like they have seen better days; also several holes had just worn in dirt patches for tees.

Tee Signs. Many were faded and unreadable, and often it was difficult to find some of the longer tees because they didn't have signage at all. Also there was no clear indicator of what position you were shooting at.

Water. This course plays along the quite picturesque Weber River but at no point does it ever really come into play, it is just there as a teaser of what could be.

Bonus Holes. The bonus holes definitely feel like they were just thrown in, they don't seem to have the planning or the maintenance of the original 18. You play holes 1 - 10 and then play holes A - I before returning and playing hole 11 - 18. The bonus holes are definitely much more scruffy and unkempt with much taller weeds and way more easily to lose a disc on than the original 18. The bonus holes also lack the amenities of trash cans, benches, and signs that the original 18 have. The grass was so long on the bonus holes that only one other player was playing them all the times I played but there were multiple groups on the original 18.

Safety. Some of the fairways from some of the tees do play a little close to other fairways, so there is a potential for danger when the course is busy, but it is not all that bad.

Crowds. The course is well played by the locals, so you may occasionally run into some backups. More than a few probably play a fast 9 hole configuration of the initial field area something like 1-7 and then 17 and 18. I could see that leading to a backup in those areas.

Holes 8, 9, and 15. A minor quibble really but these three holes play along the river and have this pebbly rock gravel that makes walking their fairways difficult. It is easy enough to just walk slow and steady to get through, so like I said a minor quibble.
Other Thoughts: This is a good course that with some work could be an excellent one. It desperately needs improvement in navigation. A little work on tees and signage would go a long way here. My first impression of this course left me at about a 1.5 to 2 rating my final impression of the course was heading into the 4 range, so I split the difference and gave it a solid 3. Sorry locals, there is just too many cons for me to give this course such a high rating but I do see where this course with some work could earn the higher rating of a 4 or 4.25, it just need some love and attention in a few areas. First timers, you're going to want a guide and maybe some breadcrumbs to find your way out of the maze.

Fun Course!!

1    4/20/2016   4/21/2016
Review By: AeroPurt
Pros: - The layout of the course really works. This includes a nice variety of hyzer, anhyzer, and you could bust out a roller here and there.
- The baskets are in good shape (at least the original 18).
- Course utilizes long and short pin locations as well as multiple tees (long, short, and ladies).
Cons: - I imagine that tournament play will require quite a bit of OB since a good number of fairways run parallel with each other. Be careful of other golfers on nearby tees.
- Some of the fairways are gravel so you will need to be careful of your footing.
- The rubber tee pads were pretty slippy because of the dirt. There were a few times that I slipped on my drive because of this.
- The extra holes include homemade baskets which are more prone to spit outs.
- The walking path runs through the fairway on a few holes.
Other Thoughts: I stayed in Layton for the week and found time to play one round and decided to try this course. I don't regret playing here one bit. It is a beautiful course if you can find a way to ignore the trains that run just east of the park.

Great Course

1    6/28/2013   6/29/2013
Review By: Busdriverfred
Pros: This course is huge!! There are hazards which make this a challenge. Lots of tall weeds so watch where your disc lands. LOTS of wildlife around while we were there we saw an owl and a jack rabbit.
Cons: GRAVEL!!! Yuck makes it a huge pain in the ass to walk. Holes after the 11th tee aren't well marked and NEEDS TO BE MAPPED ON THIS WEBSITE!!
Other Thoughts: While this course is huge, there are many places to sit down and rest. Unfortuately there are no restrooms along the course but there is thick brush so if the need arises you can go.

Park By The River

2-4    6/1/2013   6/7/2013
Review By: TheGrim
Pros: What can be said about this course that hasn't already been said? Well, given that nearly all of the reviews so far have been smacked down with negative votes I'd say plenty! So let's get started.

There are many things about this course that truly make it outstanding. To begin with it is HUGE! 27 holes (36 for a short time) of disc golfing goodness! Although 9 of the holes are a bit rough when compared to the numbered 18, it is still very will laid out and offers a great variety by sheer volume of holes.

The numbered holes all have great signage, garbage cans, benches and alternate tee pads. This helps to keep the course clean and playable for all skill sets. My wife and sister-in-law had a great time on the blues while the guys threw from the pro pads, (of course).

The course layout offers a good mix of long and short, technical and open holes. This really does offer something for everyone. Someone mentioned that the signs don't reflect the actual holes, and although there is some merit to that comment one must recognize that they do move the pin placement on occasion to keep the course changed up. I see that as a big plus in my book. The signage was always close enough to find the basket.

Finally, it is a beautiful course tucked away on it's own dedicated land, (well, save the path that runs through it that gets some minor traffic on it). Great view of the mountains and river. It even has restrooms by the parking lot!
Cons: Although I love the course it is not without it's glaring flaws. To begin with the layout is a bit jumbled. You go from hole 7 back by the river to hole 8, and from hole 15 back across to 16 over by 7. Add to that the letter holes which are reached after hole 10 and join you back up to the course on 11 and it makes for a confusing round of disc golf for someone who has never been there before.

The course map needs to be updated on here to reflect the letter holes.

Although I am a fan of the rubber tee pads I did notice a big con to them when I played the course in the rain: They are extremely uneven which allows for puddles. I understand that the city won't allow for concrete pads, and the rubber ones are a great alternative. I think that if done properly the pads can be put on a road-base layer which has a tiny crown effect to it, much like roads are crowned to allow the water to run off to the sides. This would improve the pads but would be a lot of work, so I take this as an acceptable "con" as it is.

Some of the tee pads are really short. I know they are constantly upgrading the course and adding more pads, so this is a very mild con, and one which will be eliminated with time.

The weeds, particularly around the front of the course, can get pretty high, making finding your disc a bit of a challenge. They knock them down when they get too bad, so again, this isn't huge, but worth mentioning.

Finally, because this is an awesome course it does draw a crowd. Tons of people use the course daily so you can find yourself waiting for others quite a bit.
Other Thoughts: I see why this is one of the top rated courses in Utah. The pros to the course far outweigh the minor drawbacks The dedicated volunteer work has made this a great place to play.

Nice Design

2-4    4/12/2013   4/16/2013
Review By: SuperBorg
Pros: I was pleasantly surprised by the hole designs at Riverpark. The location is fairly secluded, but parking is convenient, and has restrooms. Other than the first hole, which is frankly boring but gets you where you need to be, the holes each had a nice design. Different shots are required, some require shaping, other accuracy, others simple distance. I don't mind the rubber mats. They were flat and secure. The highlight, for me, of this course, is fortunately also the most important thing, for me, in a course. The hole design. The Disc Catcher baskets are also fantastic.

Three separate tee locations are a nice touch, leading to fun play regardless of skill level.

The Course has been very clean when I have played.
Cons: Crowded. Some people don't mind waiting on a tee for their turn to drive, I do. If you show up during prime hours, you will wait.

Signage is poor. The signs on the holes are almost random, and give no true indication of the hole. Finding your way from hole to hole can be hard, especially going from the front holes to the back holes, and again from the back to the front. If it is your first time playing this course, you will get lost, which is frustrating. This is where the crowds are helpful, which I guess is a silver lining. My experience has been that the locals are friendly, and more than willing to show you the way, or to let a solo player play through.
Other Thoughts: Good course design. Lots of fun holes. But to crowded during prime hours.

5+    10/25/2012   10/26/2012
Review By: hoppypop
Pros: I think the holes are not too far or not too close just perfect!! It is usually easy to find your disc.
Cons: The course is very popular and can be very busy.
Other Thoughts: It is a good course for amateurs. I am 9 and I love it.

Glad it's near(ish)

1    9/11/2012   9/14/2012
Review By: CodeMonkey
Pros: Excellent flow through most of the course. Good use of the space. Goes on and on and on...
Cons: No tee markers. HATE the rubber mats, would almost rather have just dirt. Please pour some concrete or put in some other sort of permanent, unmovable tees. Expansion tees are not marked (course/pins were put in, how much harder is it for them to mark them?!) Overall and tee maps desperately needed.
Other Thoughts: Be careful throwing off course, burs and travelers can be brutal. The last steps of finishing marking all the tees and pins, installing tee maps and an overall map could make this a awesome course. Great and balanced technical shots but not so impossible that it's overly frustrating.

a nice course

1    1/20/2012   2/8/2012
Review By: GrEaTeRNaTeR
Pros: mostly open with some mature trees that come into play right in front of some baskets. some tall grass with some areas of blind shooting to make the holes a challenge
Cons: hard to navigate through the course with no signs showing you the course details
Other Thoughts: good course all around and easy to keep pace going with 27 holes

Remote park course

2-4    10/13/2011   10/22/2011
Review By: baylor90505
This review was updated on 1/11/2013
Pros: Beautiful remote area down by the river. Usually not busy and don't have to worry about non-DG's in the area. Great landscape, varying hole lengths and difficulties. Lots of trees and tall grass in certain areas.
Cons: Can be a little difficult to find your way from hole to hole. But I have found that other disc golfers are very helpful in helping you find the next hole when you get lost.
Other Thoughts: One of my favorite courses in Utah.

1    7/9/2011   7/10/2011
Review By: mawman
Pros: This is a fun, challenging course. It's usually fairly easy to find your disc. I liked the variety of technical shots required. Luckily the locals in front of us were nice enough to guide us several times.
Cons: Like previous posters said the signs were faded. Not only that but the position of the hole on the sign was not representative of the actual hole. ie; Hole #2 you needed to through a turn but the sign showed it straight out. The worst part of this course is no direction to the next tee. There are trails ambling in several directions & it took us several minutes to find the next tee a few times.
Other Thoughts: Not one mosquito! Bonus.