Reedsburg, WI
Reedsburg Area HS Share
Uploaded By: XDrew Hole #2 (Taken 10/2010)
-- / 133ft.   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Elevation Only

1    8/27/2011   9/24/2011
Pros: 1) Elevation changes are used well to create about the only interest and challenge on this entire course. The sideslopes can add to the challenge for sure and might cause some rollaways.

2) Wind will contribute to the challenge out here which is good.

3) Course map is available near the first tee apparently. I must have missed it completely.
Cons: 1) I am kindof at a loss for words . . . its nice to have a 9 hole course on school grounds but this hardly teaches kids what the game is actually like. I can't say the course as a whole is a negative, but it doesn't represent the sport very well because of the insanely strange baskets, the complete lack of trees, and no actual tee area.

2) No tee signs or any other amenities.

3) The wind could easily push your discs out into one of the athletic fields that the course works its way around.

4) Dangerous to play the course while any other activitiy is going on . . . or should I say dangerous for other athletes and spectators to be there while anyone is playing disc golf.

5) Basket #8 is broken and lying down on the ground. The other baskets just aren't like the standard so they are a negative.
Other Thoughts: I just don't know what to say . . . it is a course, it has 9 holes, it has homemade baskets, it has no tees, the only redeeming aspects of the course are the wind and the elevation changes.

Take it for what it is I guess . . . another boring school course, but I guess at least there is something?!?!

Leave It To The Beavers!

1    7/15/2011   7/22/2011
Pros: Reedsburg Area High School has an engineering class. Must be some intelligent students that attend school here. My high school had PE, study hall and vocational agriculture classes. So we've established that these are some bright kids around here. The course has a nice course sign complete with a course map. The baskets are these funky homemade jobbers made by the engineering students. They do have a number on them. That helped me with the navigation. I found no visible tee pads. I think this is actually nice terrain for a course. There's lots of room with rolling, hilly ground. The listed distances are 132' to 194'. However, because I had no idea where any offical teepad was, I just played from basket to basket and estimate those distances to be 300-500 ft. My favorite hole on this course was # 6. I place the distance at about 260 feet downhill to a basket very close to the football field fence. It's a fun little downhill touch shot. Can't throw it too hard or it's over the fence and on the football field.
Cons: The baskets don't catch worth a darn. There are apparently no tees. At least, none that I could find anywhere. The course also appears to be treeless as well as waterless as well as playerless.
Other Thoughts: A quick medical exam revealed basket # 8 had suffered a badly broken leg (pole). Basket # 8 was last seen lying on it's side in a reclining position. Initial reports have blamed this injury on a Reedsburg Area Beaver Football player (probably after after a tough loss). Odds of replacement/Repair of Basket # 8 are currently at 40/60.

Eager Beavers

1    10/16/2010   10/17/2010
Review By: XDrew
Pros: My hat's off to the students and teachers in the engineering department at RAHS for executing this homegrown course. The baskets are a creative use of easy-to-find materials. The rolling hills and man-made obstacles are used rather well.
Cons: I heard the course was finished in May, but in October I found only 6 baskets, and one of them was tipped over. Besides being a bit disc-repellent, perhaps the baskets aren't weather- and vandal-proof. Sadly, the terrain is far from ideal for disc golf.
Other Thoughts: As you can see in the pictures, the targets are made of a lightweight metal pole, sticking through a composite wood base lined with mesh wire for the walls of the basket, and topped off with a bicycle wheel equipped with one barrier of medium-weight chains.