Albert Lea, MN
Riverland Community DGC Share
Uploaded By: Martin Dewgarita Hole #1 (Taken 1/2011)

1    1/24/2011   1/24/2011
Review By: Martin Dewgarita
Pros: **Take note that I played this course in the winter, I believe I was able to find the correct tee areas for each hole, some were marked with flags, others I just found the general location. I will return to this course in the warmer months and update my review accordingly**

Amenities. Plenty of parking (though it says unauthorized vehicles will be towed, we asked if we could park in the parking lot, no problem - and I guess there is visitor parking just south of the parking lot), I've never been in the college, but I'm sure there's a variety of services if you needed a restroom or a degree.

Good Variety. Several holes had some technical challenge with holes like 1 that had a single tree directly in front of the basket, or 2 and 10 had a row of trees protecting the fairway along either side, or hole 3 that was a very tight gap though a very short hole. Several holes were wide open and of varying lengths giving an opportunity for some decent rips.

Tees. Even in the snow I could find most of the tee locations, they are marked by flags and a toe board. *Natural tees, I cannot comment on their condition* There are no tee signs up yet, but I hear they're coming this spring.
Cons: Baskets. These baskets came from the Bancroft #2 course, they're homemade, discs fall out of the basket, and my SSS plastic left with some huge gouges from the sharp edges.

Navigation. Maybe with tee signs will come some navigation aids. I highly suggest printing out a map if you've never played here before, the walk between several holes isn't exactly straightforward, I was lucky to have tracks in the snow to follow.

Walks between holes. From 4-5, 6-7, and 14-15, are all a decent walk.

Opportunities for Technical Variety. This course is billed as a beginners course, for high school students and college students to learn the game. Several holes use the trees fairly well, but I dare to imagine that the could be used even better, maybe an addition of long tees, or alternate pin positions deeper in the woods. What better way to learn the game than to create more technical holes?

Other User Areas. Several of the holes play very close to other activity areas, including roadways, parking lots, baseball diamonds, sidewalks, a K-9 Training area. If any of these areas were busy some of the holes may be dangerous or unplayable.

Other Thoughts: Overall, an enjoyable course that compliments the other area courses well, a great place for students to learn the game, and a worthwhile stop of you're playing the very nearby Bancroft Bay Courses.