San Antonio, TX
Trinity University DGC Share
Uploaded By: Guru10 Hole #1 (Taken 10/2010)

Fun time!

2-4    4/9/2014   5/20/2014
Review By: raynger27
Pros: Really easy to navigate. I was pleasantly surprised, not expecting much from a 6 hole course on a college campus. It was nice to see that the land was used to situate 6 good holes, rather than 9 average holes. I was in town from PA and I ran into 3 locals who showed me some alternate tees that were also fun. Good use of the elevation and trees that were available on the property.
Cons: No matter how good, 6 holes is still a con. Some of the tee signs were missing, and tee areas were pretty worn out. Still, as a short course, the baskets were visible and a large run-up requiring a pristine tee was not needed.

I had a little trouble finding the course as I wandered around the main campus based on where the directions said to park and walk. It wasn't until I punched the GPS coordinates in my phone and began to walk to them that I was able to find it.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed the course, and hope that its proximity to a university will grow the sport; glad I was able to stop in. I went around three times and had a blast. It would be great if tee pads could be built and the tee signs fixed. With only 6 holes to maintain, the effort should be put in to really make and then maintain the course at its best.

1    6/15/2013   6/24/2013
Review By: c_a_miller
Pros: This course is as near of a perfect 6 hole course as a six hole course could be. Each and every hole was different. All 6 holes are very distinct in my mind and not just six baskets put in the ground with no thoughts on placement.

From open downhill shots (3) to tunnel shots that demand accuracy (4) each hole has it's own unique taste.
The elevation on the course is dramatic, there is a bit of elevation change on at least four of the holes which adds to the excitement of the course.
In typical Houck courses the tee signs and map near hole 1 are some of the very best around.
Persoanlly, my favorite hole was number 5. It has elevation up and then back down a hill and getting a 2 on this hole would be most impressive.
Besides the occasional runner, I do not see the course itself being used that often. It is good to see though that a course like this is on a college campus
Cons: If there was a nickname for this course it would be "Quality over Quantity." Yes, the course only has six holes and it could have been three but I believe it would have taken away from the holes that were there as the course is not built on that much land.

Tee signs 5 and 6 are gone and they probably will not be replaced anytime soon.

Playing in the morning on a humid day can make you have very wet and muddy shoes as a few holes play through an open field with long grass that will make your shoes soaking wet.
Other Thoughts: This course pleasantly surprised me more than any other course I have played. I had an hour to burn when I was in town and Trinity was the nearest course and I cannot wait to go back and play it. San Antonio is not known for good courses besides the big three in the north east part of town but this small course adds a little bit of jazz to a city that really lacks it.

1    3/16/2013   3/28/2013
Review By: tkmcdougal
Pros: I enjoy how many school's are adding courses to their campuses to introduce many students to the game. I appreciate the typical Houck signage and the sign pointing to hole 5. The course makes use of all the elevation that is available. I really liked shooting downhill on hole 3. Hole 4 was a nice technical hole that was very challenging.
Cons: I didn't know where to park because I'm not a student there. Hole 5 could be a really great hole because of the elevation you throw up and then back down toward the basket. However, there is a giant pile of mulch literally right in front of the tee pad. There also is no tee pads they are just dirt pads with flags. I felt like hole 6's tee pad was way to close to that wooded fence for my comfort.

5+    7/26/2012   7/30/2012
Review By: lukebro22
Pros: Great place to come work on your game. Never crowded, i can putt there for 2 hours and not see anyone else on the course. Hole 3 is one of the more fun holes in San Antonio, one of those "empty your bag" holes. Would be a great island hole if the university would be up for marking one. Since it's in a small University park, the course is maintained with nice green grass.
Cons: Only 6 holes so dont expect to play a fll round unless you play 3 times around. Grass can get kinda thick and might bury your disc occasionally. Sprinklers are unpredictable and can end a round real quick. Joggers can sometimes be unaware of what you are doing, but for the most part it's a non issue.
Other Thoughts: Great 6 hole course to get in a quick round and work on your game.

Better Than I Expected

1    3/12/2012   3/20/2012
Review By: srm_520
Pros: For only being six holes, Trinity maximizes the space and uses foliage and elevation to a great advantage. The course is easy to follow even for first timers, and there is a large map to consult by the first teebox. At just over 1800', hole length is varied between short and tight, to open blind tees and bigger drives where you can shape shots to your liking. Plus, I selfishly admit to having a bit of bias toward Houck designed courses - I find I very rarely disagree with his vision and design.

Signs are high quality Houck signs, but #5 & #6 have been vandalized. Finally, being on a University Campus, the overall area is very well kept, but there are positives and negatives to how the maintenance crew views the area.

BEST HOLE/S: #5
Cons: The boxes are fairly rutted and the black soils cakes most everything. The baskets are not DisCatcher baskets, which is a bit off from most Houck courses. The University currently has a giant pile of mulch sitting in front of #5, so refer to previous comments on that. And the course is only six holes - granted a great six holes, but you wish they could find the room for three more holes without compromising the integrity of the current holes.

Ultimately, the biggest complaint could be the relative location of holes in relation to each other. #4 is very close to #1, and drawing shots out right instead of throwing the tunnel may cause some injuries. It also seemed like there were four good holes in mind, and then to utilize #5 and #6 to their greatest advantage - they seem apart from the rest of the course. Granted most of these negatives are minor, but are points to consider when playing.

WORST HOLE/S: #4
Other Thoughts: Pretend, it's a hot Spring Break day - the San Antonio Zoo a half mile down the road is packed and your kids are screaming in the back of the car and your wife is desperately looking for an alternate activity - Bam! Trinity University DGC to the rescue. Okay, that just may have been my scenario, but if you need a short fun round on an interesting course that not in the outskirts of town then this place fits the bill. Given the tee box and sign conditions, proximity problems, and overall number of holes Trinity just misses the 2.5 mark, but I don't think my enjoyment factor isn't quite indicative of this rating because the biggest complaint I had was simply wishing for more holes and that's usually a good thing.

So-So.

1    5/25/2011   5/26/2011
Review By: allent
Pros: Though only 6 holes, this course is in great shape and well-manicured. The holes offer a variety of shots and the course was fairly easy to navigate. The signs at each hole were top notch and the baskets were all in good shape (looked new).
Cons: First and foremost the tee boxes need work. It was extremely dry when I played this course, just a little damp with a light morning dew and the tee boxes were basically mud and very slippery. There are great inexpensive alternatives to big concrete slabs if they didn't want those in the beautiful, natural park. There's also nothing marking the front of the teebox, so I couldn't really tell how far up I could go. As a result, I just used the hole sign as the front of the tee box, but then I kept feeling like I was going to hit the sign with my hand on my backhand follow-throughs. Besides the tee boxes, the baskets all need to be numbered as well. There were several big piles of debris in front of the #5 tee box and I walked up the hill to lay eyes on the basket before I teed off and got a little confused by what turned out to be the #6 basket.
Other Thoughts: This was a fun and pretty easy little course that I would use for a little practice if I lived nearby or had reason to go to this school campus (like if I was in school there or worked there), but other than that I definitely can't see going out of my way to get back to this course. There are much more fun disc golf options in San Antonio and not that far away (try McClain or Universal City).

Great Feel

1    3/15/2011   3/22/2011
Review By: Von Roll
Pros: Very well maintained.
Great elevation changes.
Some good trees to get in your way.
Awesome signage.
Cons: Dirt tees.
Only 6 holes.
Have to watch out for Joggers.
Other Thoughts: This is one of my favorites. The course is very green this time of year and is a very chill place to give it your best. Some baskets are blind shots others are long drives and some have pretty good obstacles. I played this course 3 times around to make 18 holes and had a blast teaching someone the game. This course will be one of my regular spots from now on. Only saw one other Disc Golfer during my 3 times around, just watch out for the joggers in the middle of the course.

Quickie

1    11/23/2010   12/24/2010
Review By: odysseus81
Pros: Pretty cool little course. It was ideal for me to take my 3 and 5 year old out to play.
They made good use of the land there. There are a few decent elevation shots and there was good use of the trees as well. There is a decent variety of throws for the limited amount of holes there.
The course had great tee signs. Very easy course to follow. The baskets were also in great shape.
Cons: There was quite a bit of brush throughout the course that needs to be cleaned up.
There were quite a few walkers in the course and the course is pretty tight anyway, so there was plenty of stopping and waiting till they were out of the way.
If you don't like dirt pads...you won't like the tees. They don't bother me at all.
Other Thoughts: Generally speaking, this is a decent course. I won't hold against it that it is a short course. I am sure that if I attended that college or worked nearby it is cool to have a course that you can play over your lunch break. To be fair though...there is very little challenge here. They maximized the space and I am glad I played it...but I probably won't play it again the next time I am in San Antonio. There are plenty other great options in the area.

A Serene 6 Holes

2-4    12/16/2010   12/16/2010
Review By: Overhanding4distance
This review was updated on 12/25/2010
Pros: -Visitor parking at hole 1
-Great signage, typical from Houck
-Green fairways, beautiful tree coverage
-Terrific use of elevation, up/down shots
-Contains a signature hole of sorts, in that #3 is a par
3 atop of the hill. It's a wide open fairway, with a "Top
of the World," type feel. I could literally empty the bag on this hole.
**Update**
If the course isn't too crowded and you're looking to complete 9 holes, use the teebox at hole 5 to throw at the basket for hole 2. You can try and go through the tunnel of trees or throw a wide sweeping hyzer should you throw RHBH. I threw holes 3 and 4 to complete the round.
Cons: -Baskets are new, and have more than one set of chains, but they're not the Discatcher Pro's that we've all grown to love.
-Tee boxes are dirt, and hole #5 has some intense landscaping being done right next to the tee box. Not that big of a deal.
-I didn't see many benches or trashcans, but again, it's a minor flaw considering this is only a 6 hole course.
Other Thoughts: Set in a lush green gully, this serene six hole course exceeded my expectations. Huge trees tower over the course and create a very calm atmosphere. You would never guess it's situated at the corner of Hildebrand/Stadium Dr because the traffic and other noise is relatively low. Some walkers and joggers will be present, but everyone from the maintenance man to joggers and other golfers were very nice.
I think I might try an alternate tee box for #3 next time I'm out there...just for an extra hole. This course contains a dog leg left, a couple of technical/tunnel holes, a dog leg right hole, and the final hole has you throwing over (or through if you wish) a small, short, wooden structure.

A Gem

5+    10/21/2010   10/22/2010
Review By: Guru10
Pros: Great signs, even some pointing you to the next hole. Interesting shots with the given land. Hole 2 is an ace run ( I should know; my room mate aced it today!) the par fours are true par fours, length-wise and technique-wise.
Cons: Only six holes...come on, why not nine? But the six holes that are there are awesome.

People walking through the park or using it as a running track often don't realize they are on the fairway and one will find one self waiting or taking some risky shots. FORE!!
Other Thoughts: I love that this course is less than two miles away from my house. I am addicted and just found my new hangout.