Houston, TX
Rice University DGC Share
Uploaded By: spacekat Hole #6 (Taken 4/2013)

Not Yet Playable

5+    4/14/2013   4/19/2013
Review By: Frasier
Pros: -The course is conveniently located in the center of Houston next to the med center. It is one of the only courses inside the 610 loop so it is especially convenient for people who live near downtown.

-The course is the perfect difficulty for a beginner. The holes are relatively open but have some trees that must be accounted for, and none of the holes are too long.

-The course can be scenic when the conditions are good.
Cons: -If you want to get a hole in one this is the course to do it on. Just about every hole can be reached with one throw so an experienced player can probably get a hole in one from playing no more than ten or twenty times. There is not much reason however to want to play the course repeatedly.

-The primary issues with the course stem from the fact that it is in poor repair from years of neglect. There are no tee boxes anywhere so it is impossible for anyone to navigate the course unless they are with someone who has played there before. Several of the baskets are damaged and one is missing altogether which technically makes this a 8 hole course. Also the grounds are not regularly maintained, so when I played most recently I had to walk through more than a foot of brush even in the middle of the fairways.

-The next biggest issue after the general disrepair is that the course is very rarely is playable condition due to standing water. The course is located in what is clearly a water retention basin, so it will continue to be muddy even after the surrounding areas have dried completely. If it has rained any time in the last week the course will likely be too muddy to play on.

-The third major issue is that a pedestrian walkway passes through the center of the course. None of the holes cross this path so if you have accurate throws you are not in danger of hitting anyone, but several of the holes do closely parallel the path so an inexperienced player might hit someone. On average I have to pause once or twice each time I play the course to let a pedestrian get out of the way.

-Some of the specific holes are poorly designed; the basket on hole 2 is in the middle of a small thicket so it is not visible from more than 20 yards away, the basket on hole 7 is next to a road so a disk might get run over, the basket on hole 4 is bent making the put from one direction much easier than the other, the best approach path on hole 5 goes over the pedestrian walkway for 40 meters so if anyone is there you cannot throw, and hole 9 is on the edge of an intramural field so I once could not throw because some runners were stretching next to the basket.

-Finally, while one of the pros of this course is that it is good for beginners, a major con is that it presents no challenge for an experienced player. I played this course many times for a rice physical fitness class and never scored over par on any hole.
Other Thoughts: -While this course is still not playable, the people at Rice have recently remembered that it exists and they are beginning to take some steps to improve it. Many of the baskets have been fixed and made more visible and the grounds are now occasionally mowed to make playing easier. I believe there are even plans in place to replace the hole 1 basket, move some of the other problematic baskets, and replace the tee boxes. Right now the course is frankly bad but if these changes are made it has the potential to be an entirely competent pitch and putt style course. The course will never be championship quality, but it does have potential.

Not much of a course, really...

1    6/14/2012   7/9/2012
Review By: nomex
Pros: Fairly close to the Medical Center, this course would be perfect for those utilizing bicycle or public transportation. The baskets, when you can get to them, are in decent condition. If this course were mowed, it would be a fun little course that could draw in people to disc golf as there is a decent amount of foot traffic and bicycle traffic that passes by while I'm practicing my putts on hole 7. I've actually caused some people to "curb check" their vehicles while they were trying to figure out what I was doing.

Hole 9 is good for practice, and the field next to it is good for driving range use. I usually bike through and practice putting on hole 7 and then skip to hole 9 and then work my way over to the field for some practice.
Cons: Sadly, this course is heavinly overgrown. As one reviewer stated, bring pants (and allergy medication). I had so many little burrs stuck to me at the end of the round that I had a nice "tenth" hole activity at my local bar. There were some holes where there were no tee markers (4,5&6).
Other Thoughts: It is a shame that this course isn't maintained. I actually considered taking out some of those grass scythes and do some cutting myself. I wish there were a course in Hermann park, but since this one is in such bad shape, I guess I'll stick to MacGregor or TC Jester. I'd play this course on my lunch breaks if it were better maintained.

Leave the big dog home

5+    10/4/2010   11/4/2010
Review By: scuddyp4
This review was updated on 12/15/2010
Pros: Not crowded at all. Never seen another dger when I've played there (that might be a con to some). Baskets in decent shape. No much foot traffic from non-dgers despite being located on Rice U campus. 9's basket is located under a huge live oak tree and is a great place for putting practice as no one uses the course that much. There's also a practice field located by 9 that is great for throwing practice
Cons: No parking. I usually bike there since I live close. Course upkeep is non-existent. not a lot of variety on holes. It really is just a mid and putter course. Hard to find the course if you aren't familiar with the campus. Some tees are missing or posts down.
Other Thoughts: Wouldn't drive in to play this course but if you live close and just want some mid/approach and putting practice you should try it once. If you can't find the tees the course in never crowded and you can just pick a basket and go. Not the worst course I've play but not as good as most in H-town.