1 Helpful / 0 Not
Pros: I played this course for the second time on a beautiful Thursday evening and here were my pros for the course:
1) Fun fun fun. This course was just flat out fun. It wasn't challenging at all and honestly just made for a short, easy round that was a walk in the park. I didn't have to take out my long distance drivers (except for one hole) and it was fun to just have some shorter holes to play.
2) The course wasn't full of blind shots - its not a lot of fun to have to walk ahead every hole to look at the basket and scope it out but this course was pretty straightforward and easy to play and didn't have a lot of blind shots.
3) While the course was a ton of fun, it wasn't full of "easy" holes. While there were certainly some easier holes, the course actually made you think on a few shots about the type of shot you wanted to throw.
4) The usage of the creek throughout the park was superb. It made some average holes above average. When we played the creek actually had some water in it. By my count the creek came into play on at least 4 holes. I love water hazards at disc golf courses and I love them even more when they add value to a hole.
5) The signs at the park were literally out of this world. The signs were some of the best signs I have ever seen at a disc golf course. Kudos to the local club for getting signs like that. They were full color with distances, OB lines, paths to the basket, tips, etc. WOW!
Cons: Honestly I didn't have a lot of cons at this course. I think my rating of 3.0/Good is very accurate for what the park offered:
1) This is essentially par 3 golf. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that but it should be pointed out that only 4 holes are over 300 feet. I enjoy this kind of disc golf but to be a top rated course I like seeing some variety in distances. This park simply didn't have the space for that and so the designers did well with what they had.
2) Some of the holes were very close to other holes. It wasn't terrible but I remember playing hole 1 and actually throwing to the wrong basket (basket 21) because it "looked" like that was the right basket. I would recommend just adding numbers to the top of the basket so players know they are throwing to the right basket. This was not a huge deal and I only remember it being an issue once or twice. Some fairways definitely got close to others but as long as you keep a good eye out you should be fine.
3) There were a lot of fun holes but nothing was spectacular and I wouldn't classify any of the holes as true signature holes. This is not a knock on the designer or the park at all. They did a great job with the land available.
Other Thoughts: When someone told me this course was redesigned from a 9 hole to a 22 hole course I was stunned. I thought there was no way they could have pulled this off because I remember the park being small enough as it was. But I was definitely wrong. Even though some of the holes were a little bit close together the course flowed fairly well and the new design was a lot of fun! This close is very close to I-74 so if you are traveling on that interstate its an easy play!
1 of 1 people found this review helpful.
3 Helpful / 0 Not
Pros: - Use to be a nine hole course but now is 22. Looks like the club over there is getting things done!
- Some hole designs were interesting. Enjoyed the changes in elevation and the use of trees and creeks.
- A great course to work on your short drive game. If your struggling with your 200-250 foot shot, you will have plenty of holes to try to fix it.
- Nice deep baskets. Nothing is more annoying when you "make" a putt and the disc pops out. That won't be a problem here.
- Beautiful signage. Each tee has a detailed layout of the hole, and there is even a course map on the first hole. You can tell some work went into the signs.
Cons: - Mostly short holes. You won't get a chance to use some of your long drivers here. Most holes are under 300, and a number of them are below 200.
- Some confusion later on as to what hole to throw to towards the end of the course. On hole 21, I had an amazing drive that landed within five feet of what I thought was the right basket, Turns out it was one of the earlier holes. Also, baskets aren't marked.
- While the tee signs are good, there isn't much there to tell you where to go after each hole. Sometimes it isn't so simple to find, especially since you have to walk a bit between some holes. A little more direction for the out of towners would be nice. You will be able to find your way around without the extra signage, but you sometimes have to look around.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed my time here, and I don't think I was the only one. There were a number players out there taking advantage of the beautiful weather. Unfortunately, like Urbana, there isn't much else to play around Crawfordsville outside of this course. That's why I probably won't play it again unless its part of a trip where it's on the way to another place. While it's good, it isn't elite enough to warrant it's own one day trip. How3ever if your passing through, it's worth a look.
3 of 3 people found this review helpful.
4 Helpful / 0 Not
More of the same
Pros: •Practice basket,with markers for a putting game •Nice Tee signs and Concrete tees with 5 Gal. Buckets at each hole •Well placed poles for getting your disc out of the water •No Underbrush •Really nice layout using all park features; Creek,Rollng terrain,low canopy shots....off the tee OR your Approach/Putt •A few Roll-a-way greens •Nice having "Caution flying discs" signs in the areas where the course was expanded •New footbridge from #7 to #8 •Signature hole is the same one has the old layout #7...a 228' down hill shot with the basket in the creeks peninsula
Cons: •Most holes are 225-250' with 3 holes over 300' (309',323',328') this is only a "con" if you are a more experienced player •No underbrush for a punishment for an errant throw •A couple directional signs from #6 to #7 and #20 to #21 would be good,but not that big of a deal.
Other Thoughts: Still a short beginner course that will boost the ego of any experienced player,unless they play a safari round. Adding 12 holes,to any course, is usually a plus. But since it's more of the same it's an opportunity missed. Could have been a better course with just 18 baskets and two tees per hole. I bumped my rating to a 3 disc (good) vs. 2.5 (decent) because after "sleeping on it" the terrain AND creek does NOT make this a typical course.
4 of 4 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.