Crawfordsville, IN
Milligan Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: kingjames1014 Hole #22 (Taken 5/2012)

Great Small a Town a course

1    9/27/2014   9/27/2014
Review By: ajbova
Pros: Very solid intermediate level course. Will provide challenge for beginners and intermediate players. Holes may be on the shorter side for more advanced players.

Baskets - 22 Mach 2 baskets that catch great. They are marked with hole numbers on the pole. No spit out issues,. Also a practice basket at start of course that have pavers surrounding listing distance.

Tees - 1 large concrete tee per hole. Hole 21 has an alternate tee for those either looking for a longer or shorter hole.

Signs - Signs at each hole including hole map, distance, par, and points you towards next hole. When needed there are signs pointing you towards the next tee. Large bulletin board with course map and description of the sport.

Variety - Holes here favor both lefties and righties or either style of throwing. Trees on every hole but not to point where it's over weakling. Provide plenty of challenge. Lots of elevation change here. Some sort of minor elevation on each hole. Creek comes into play on several holes that could be issue when filled with water. Not many holes over 300.

Holes 11-16 stood out to me. Great group of holes in the middle of the course.

Plenty of shade but would still recommend bringing fluids.

Elevation - Several uphill and downhill shots. Some shots have rolling hills. A few blind shots due to elevation. Nothing too extreme. 20 feet elevation at the most.

Creek - Creek intertwines throughout course, sometimes coming into play multiple times per hole. If it is filled it can get in your head. There are poles available throughout the course to use to get discs out. Creek was dry when I played it.

Bridges when needed!

Trash cans at every hole attached to signs. Also multiple cans throughout courses. Benches throughout course including a pavilion with tables.

Very peaceful park with a few playgrounds, pool, skatepark, and baseball fields. Kept clean and well maintained.

Nearby stores if you need food or drinks.

Easy to get to, not too far from the highway. Easy to navigate. Flows great. Ends and starts at same spot.

Restrooms on site near start / end of course.
Cons: Not many cons from this course.

Holes are definitely on the shorter side. My girlfriend felt comfortable playing this course due to the shorter holes. Might be to short for advanced players.

Tees - this course could be greatly improved by adding a second set of tees at each hole. It would boost the variety and playability of the course.

Pin Placement - Alternate pin placement would also improve this course. Not sure if there are alternate pin placements since I've been here once but it always keeps things fresh to have rotating locations.

Walk from hole 20 to 21 was a little long.

Few holes come a little close to each other which could add danger if busy. Holes 2-6 and 11-14 come to mind where baskets, tees, and fairways come close.
Other Thoughts: I really liked this course and will definitely come back. I was definitely sold on the variety and the park itself.

If the course added dual tees that were more challenging, rotating pin placements, and more trees, I would consider giving it a higher rating. I would like to come back but don't often get to this part of the state. It was worth a try. I wasn't disappointed.

If you are in the area or traveling through I-74, I would definitely recommend this course.

5+    6/10/2014   8/11/2014
Review By: pandabaer6496
Pros: nice small town course in a park that is family friendly (for the most part, see cons), it definitely makes the most of the park area by squeezing in 22 holes (it used to be a 9 hole course). decent variety of shots required. although mostly open, there are a couple more woodsy holes (14,15) that help keep things interesting, as well as a creek that comes into play on several holes

Also, tee signs are great, there is a directional sign from 20 to 21, which is a ways away, and there are trash bins at every hole
Cons: More experienced players will quickly grow tired of this course. I play it a lot because its my home course, but mostly for the sake of droppin deuces. For less experienced players this may be a plus, but Murdock Park and Camp Cullom, both relatively close (40 min drive), will provide more of a challenge for experienced players.

- no holes over 330: although the park itself isnt that big, even just one bomb hole would be an improvement

- course plays around a park pool and skatepark, both of which can make for a slightly unpleasant environment at times.
Other Thoughts: overall Milligan is a pretty nice intermediate level course. dont go too far out of your way for this one, especially because Crawfordsville doesnt really have any other courses to offer. but if youre already in the area, Milligan is definitely worth a look

2-4    7/3/2014   7/16/2014
Review By: JohtoVillage
Pros: I played this course for the second time on a beautiful Thursday evening and here were my pros for the course:

1) Fun fun fun. This course was just flat out fun. It wasn't challenging at all and honestly just made for a short, easy round that was a walk in the park. I didn't have to take out my long distance drivers (except for one hole) and it was fun to just have some shorter holes to play.

2) The course wasn't full of blind shots - its not a lot of fun to have to walk ahead every hole to look at the basket and scope it out but this course was pretty straightforward and easy to play and didn't have a lot of blind shots.

3) While the course was a ton of fun, it wasn't full of "easy" holes. While there were certainly some easier holes, the course actually made you think on a few shots about the type of shot you wanted to throw.

4) The usage of the creek throughout the park was superb. It made some average holes above average. When we played the creek actually had some water in it. By my count the creek came into play on at least 4 holes. I love water hazards at disc golf courses and I love them even more when they add value to a hole.

5) The signs at the park were literally out of this world. The signs were some of the best signs I have ever seen at a disc golf course. Kudos to the local club for getting signs like that. They were full color with distances, OB lines, paths to the basket, tips, etc. WOW!
Cons: Honestly I didn't have a lot of cons at this course. I think my rating of 3.0/Good is very accurate for what the park offered:

1) This is essentially par 3 golf. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that but it should be pointed out that only 4 holes are over 300 feet. I enjoy this kind of disc golf but to be a top rated course I like seeing some variety in distances. This park simply didn't have the space for that and so the designers did well with what they had.

2) Some of the holes were very close to other holes. It wasn't terrible but I remember playing hole 1 and actually throwing to the wrong basket (basket 21) because it "looked" like that was the right basket. I would recommend just adding numbers to the top of the basket so players know they are throwing to the right basket. This was not a huge deal and I only remember it being an issue once or twice. Some fairways definitely got close to others but as long as you keep a good eye out you should be fine.

3) There were a lot of fun holes but nothing was spectacular and I wouldn't classify any of the holes as true signature holes. This is not a knock on the designer or the park at all. They did a great job with the land available.
Other Thoughts: When someone told me this course was redesigned from a 9 hole to a 22 hole course I was stunned. I thought there was no way they could have pulled this off because I remember the park being small enough as it was. But I was definitely wrong. Even though some of the holes were a little bit close together the course flowed fairly well and the new design was a lot of fun! This close is very close to I-74 so if you are traveling on that interstate its an easy play!

It's Alright

1    10/5/2013   10/6/2013
Review By: optimalben
Pros: They've clearly invested a lot in the course with good tees, maps, organization. The layout is pretty intuitive, and if the creek were full, water would be in play on half of the holes which would be interesting--at least unusual.
Cons: 1. Short holes. Maybe this reflects my own failings at using mid-range discs off the tee as much as a drawback of the course, but there are almost no opportunities to throw long drivers all out. The holes that are <200 feet (of which there are several) forbid using even moderately long drivers. It was great for my wife, though, because she doesn't drive that far and these were right in her "wheel house".
2. How they make up for the short-and-otherwise-not-challenging holes. Credit the designers for fitting 22 holes into a small park, but the compactness is an artificial source of difficulty. What I mean is that there are a lot of OBs such as driveways and adjacent properties that prevent you from aggressively attacking the baskets instead of natural obstacles such as woods/topography/distance. The other irritating device they used is arranging the tees so there is not a clear optimal path to the basket (at least not for a RH backhand thrower). You can go way wide right or try to get your disc to "back up" and throw left, but there are numerous holes that require you to take unusual paths to the pin. Maybe I just played on a day where I was feeling very patient or imaginative, but the effect of the layout was more "frustrating" than it was challenging.
Other Thoughts: I wonder how often the creek is full? It's not like I played the course in the middle of a drought, yet the creek was basically bone dry . . . just curious. Conclusion: I'm glad I made the trip from Lafayette once to play here, but I probably won't go down very often since I've got Murdock Park much closer.

This is fun one!

2-4    3/2/2013   3/4/2013
Review By: gregmarine
Pros: As an intermediate player, I really enjoy this course. The park is filled with mature trees that the course design takes full advantage of. A creek that flows throughout brings a challenge for many of the holes as it is out of bounds when water is present. The course design takes full advantage of the landscape. The tee signs are pretty good and each tee has a trash bucket.
Cons: Although most of the holes have some challenges, I would like to have more long drive opportunities. Many of the holes are pretty short. If you only have time for the first 9 holes, it is a long walk back to your car assuming you parked at the first hole. Some of the fairways come close to other holes' fairways.
Other Thoughts: Even if you have to drive a long way, this course is worth the trip. The TD for the various tournaments keeps things very organized. So I recommend participation in the tournaments held here.

Very good course

1    10/21/2012   12/30/2012
Review By: lukejones
Pros: This is by far one of the better courses in Indiana. A lot of thought was given to make the layout very fair, yet challenging with a lot of shot variety required. The course has a meandering creek which was utilize on several holes and several tall mature trees. I liked the disc dippers placed throughout the course and found them useful a couple of times. Though not an lengthy course with what I'd consider true par 4's and 5's, several of the par 3's do seem to play longer with the obstacles and OB in play. It was also nice to have the 6 extra holes (24 hole course). I played the 1st 18 as the main course, then just had fun with the extra 6 holes. Kuddos to the designers for utilizing the property efficiently and effectively. It was truly memorable and a blast to play!
Cons: It is a bit of a shorter course
I would consider myself a very good beginner level player, but this course did give me a confidence boost with several birdies, which indicates to me it might be a bit easy for advanced players.
Other Thoughts: Would definitely like to come back.

Great Course

1    9/16/2012   9/17/2012
Review By: k2Keith
Pros: Beautiful rolling terrain, large trees with a creek throughout the park. Course is well designed to utilize the space. Great variety of shots required had me using several different discs. There are a couple of mandatories, that I thought actually made the course more challenging and fun.
Cons: I really have think hard to find any cons; While the basic signage was great, I would like to see larger numbers on the baskets to help clarify where you are going. Pads are slightly shorter than what I am used to.
Other Thoughts: This is the best course I have had the opportunity to play yet! It is NOT the hardest, but it was the most fun. I would recommend this course if you are going to be anywhere near, it is worth the time.

2-4    8/17/2012   8/17/2012
Review By: ElementZ
Pros: Milligan, to me, is like the epitome of a 3.5 course. It exemplifies what a "very good" course should look like. It has great signage, tees, and baskets and is an absolute blast to play.

Each hole is unique in some way which keeps this 22-hole course from going stale. A lot of times after 9 holes or so, you get a good feel of what to expect, but I was always a little surprised at what I needed to do at the next teepad. The shots are for the most part very intriguing. There are several ace runs and great deuce opportunities, but they can also go bad very quickly if you don't take advantage of them.

The holes are great for beginners because they're all under 400 feet, but also very challenging for pros/"birdie hunters".

All in all, I wish I would have had a chance to play another round here. I definitely recommend it!
Cons: No real signature hole that really dropped my jaw and made me say "Wow, this is amazing. Let me go grab my camera!". While it's an amazing park course, it's still just a park so you have to watch out for other park goers and there's no real feeling of seclusion.

I would imagine that some people would argue that the shots are too short, but I think it does a great job of being a beginner/intermediate player course.
Other Thoughts: Very fun to play. For being 22 holes, it's not very energy draining and is a very chill course that will test very many different lines. This is a great course to practice variety on. Hyzers/Anhyzers/Sky Hyzers/Laser Beam shots.

Check it out if you're in the area!!

5+    9/22/2011   6/26/2012
Review By: jomomo
Pros: holes fit perfectly into the park. Baskets are placed perfectly. holes are excitied and not too far to where your unloading every hole. most depends on accuracy.
Other Thoughts: wish there would be more holes cause there is way enough room for it.

Noob Review

1    3/22/2012   3/23/2012
Review By: Redleg
Pros: Course is in a city park and has been fitted well into the park. Many many shorter holes. 9 are under 225ft and only 3 over 300 (1 is from pro tee). But it does use the terrain well! Great baskets, outstanding Tee Signs and Good Tee pads for every hole. There is a creek that winds through the entire park that come into play very often, it is very clear and shallow so little chance of losing a disc but a good chance of losing a stroke or 2. There are several OB areas so placement of a shot can make or break you. This would be an outstanding park for a Ace Race!
Cons: The baskets are very close in several areas and can cause you to shoot towards the wrong basket. Hole signs with numbers on top of the basket turned to the tee pads would do a great deal to correct that. The park is very busy so you have to watch to make sure you are not going to hit anyone.
Other Thoughts: Overall great public park course worth the trip. It would be a good place to intro someone to the game and still keep an experienced player happy with the varied shots needed.