Fairborn, OH
Handyman Ace Hardware DGC Share
Uploaded By: hendersondayton Hole #17 (Taken 11/2010)
3 / 237ft.   3 / 237ft.   3 / 321ft.   3 / 321ft. Par / Distance:

5+    5/22/2014   5/23/2014
Review By: Bachmann_3
Pros: Great variety
Terrain and elevation changes
Fair amount of hazards
Directional signs and good tee pad signs
Course is separate form the rest of the park
Only course in the area that offers scorecards and a fully detailed map
Taken care of well
Cons: After heavy rain, this course may be flooded out in the woods
Nastiest creek I've ever seen, swallows discs whole and leaves you without your shoe if you dare step in to retrieve it
Some holes are very unfair, and downright impossible
Makes for a VERY long 18 holes
Other Thoughts: This is the Dayton area's second most difficult course, (next to sycamore trails.) Long distances and heavy foliage and trees make this course nearly impossible to par with par 3s. Any player besting this course from the par on the sign-pads will know they rank at the amateur level. Players shooting around or better than par with par 3s will know they are ready for advanced or even possibly open level play. Really designed as a pro course, play the par signs or play doubles if you don't want to shoot a huge score.

Troll's Review

1    10/12/2013   10/17/2013
Review By: Eric troll Biscuits
Pros: 18 holes
An actual section, dedicated to the sport
well maintained
Good signs
good use of the landscape and woods.
lots of benches
decent mixes of wooded to open
one real water hazard
Cons: Too much walking from basket, to next tee on some holes.
One hole played to small pond, but could have been used better...
Multiple tee's
Other Thoughts: Yes, in my opinion, multiple tee pads are a waste of effort, and materials. why? As an old school player, I like a course to have a stationary starting points. when there are two tees it causes a debate every time, when we really need the decision made for us. I like multiple pin placements to keep us on our toes, but multiple signs and tees are still an expense, when more baskets/holes could have been added...
just saying..........

Date: 10/21/2013 Designer Response by: hendersondayton
Just a thoughts...the pond hole is as good as it's was allowed to get. There are multiple fishing tournaments there so moving the pins back beside the pond was out of the question.

Curious to know how else we could have crafted #5 with this in mind..

Disc Eating Variety

1    10/13/2011   10/15/2011
Review By: fsunjm08
Pros: -Amazing Variety, long, short, uphill, downhill, woody, open, backhand, flick holes

-Amazing Signage

-Well Maintained, Beautiful Course
Cons: POND SCUM, few holes play around pond scum, esp 7 and 8, they eat 15 dollar discs, if you dont have a crap disc to throw i would advise skipping, Me and me dad both hit branches and into pond
Other Thoughts: Best course for more advanced players in Dayton, requires you to shape shots

Reality Check

1    3/19/2011   3/20/2011
Review By: Chainrattler
This review was updated on 8/31/2011
Pros: Update: 8-30-2011
I was urged to give Handyman another chance, and I'm very glad I did. There was a huge difference from my first experience. The amount of thickness of the trees have been thinned perfectly. Each hole now has lines that, in my opinion, utilizes skill to play. Before this it was basically throw and hope for the best.
Cons: Trees were x 1000 per hole (updated) Now, trees are well placed to promote skill.
Other Thoughts: I updated this to a Very Good Course. I think it's awesome how the people involved have worked to perfect this prime piece of land into a great course. Well done!!! I will look forward to playing this course again.

Play This Course.

1    11/6/2010   11/7/2010
Review By: Jay Dub
Pros: Disc-laimer: All comments in this review are my personal opinion. I have not talked to the course designer or the Dayton club about the installation of this course.

We played long (blue) tees to pin A placements, according to the course designer that's where the baskets will stay all winter. I throw RHBH.

This course is Dayton, Ohio's answer to Idlewild. It's located on good land and as tough as Idlewild. The tees are the best they can be, the tee signs are great. (See cons).
The course is new but while walking the round it looks as though it's been installed for years. (See cons). Nice bridges and pathways. Great signage to make sure you know where to go for your next hole. The paths are worn well. You can tell a lot of work has been done to this area to get it ready for the golf course.

#1 is challenging but fair,
#2 needs the fairway opened from the long tee, too much luck involved at this point but a great design if cleared.

3 & 4 are fair as is.
5 is no problem.

#6 is a very nice turn over shot with the basket next to the creek that runs along side the fairway. More clearing is needed here.
#7 I'll pass on, must have been a bad hole for me, I can't recall the fairway.

#8 has a bridge to the tee, leave your bag at the entrance to the bridge and take something that will turn over 220' for you. The tricky part about this great hole is you throw diagonally across the water. Most of the 220' is over water with limbs on your right, turn over too soon and it will be wet.

#9 has a great 1st layup shot, but make sure you get it across the creek that you don't see unless you walk up the fairway first. Your second (third and forth ;) ) shot are long, thru the trees luck shots with the basket on top a thin mound. I think the pin placement on this hole is unfair. If you miss your putt it will roll down the 6'+ hill, and maybe into OB. I would hope after snaking your way thru all the trees to get close for a putt, a player would not have to deal with more luck. Great hole but put the basket some where else or give the top of the mound more flat surface.

#10. Again the hidden creek comes into play at about 225'. I walked up to this tee and said, I'll just throw two 250' shots. That's what I did and got a 3.

#11 gives you 2-3 options, which is great but all the options need cleared out more.

#12...long walk from 11, something Dayton seems to do with their courses. This is a double mando which is something I prefer not to see. But in this case it makes perfect sense and is the shot you should throw anyway.

#13, long walk again. This long tee is shared with #4's long tee. Good design imo, but the drive off the tee is a luck shot. Big hyzer shot that needs cleared out. The design is good though.

#14, 15,16 & 17...now I'm getting tired and played these holes badly. Like most holes they have good designs but more clearing would make it a 5 rating.

#18. A great downhill shot but again too much luck. Clear out some of the trees to make this fair and it's a great finishing hole.

This is definitely a course to add to your calender.
Cons: The tee signs are all located at the long tees. If playing the short tees you will have to walk a good distance, on some holes, just to read the sign and see the maps. Also the orientation of the tee signs could be improved. Currently some get you confused, after a minute or two of studying the sign and looking 360, you can understand where you need to go.

There are a lot of the fairways that are not quite fair yet, from what I have read and heard about this course, more work is to be done. I saw a lot of trees with ribbons around them, if they are there to have them cut down, that will be a good start. Too much luck on too many holes at this point, but the design looks solid beyond that.
Other Thoughts: Play this course, you will be glad you did if you're in the area or have a trip planned there.
I gave it a 3.50 star rating only because a 3.75 wasn't available. In the future I'm sure this will be a 5 star course, but only after more work is done.

More Idlewild comparisons:
I shot an 80 yesterday at Fairborn. Long tees at Idlewild I shot an 83 with a bad front 9 and a decent back 9. I got 2 deuces at Idlewild and only 2 threes at Fairborn. I got 8s at Idlewild but never shot over a 6 at Fairborn, but got quite a few of them.