Fairborn , OH
Handyman Ace Hardware DGC Share
Uploaded By: hendersondayton Hole #2 (Taken 11/2010)

Handyman

1    12/6/2010   12/6/2010
Review By: Myers
Pros: Course is in a public park with plenty of land and activities going on. great tee pads, tee signs, baskets, and navigational signs. I believe the layout is fantastic! designers used the land and provided all types of shots from open bombs to short and technical, over creeks, challenging pin locations, Short and Long tee pads and 2 pin positions for all holes. The course will challenge all skill levels and can frustrate even the best of players. there are some awesome shots out in the open as well and the wind adds challenge on these holes. There are low ceilings, creeks, great elevation changes (especially in Ohio), and even a pond as a back drop to a pin.
Cons: As it goes with all new courses there needs to be some thinning out in some areas. The potential here is awesome though. there are a couple long walks but i think it is well worth it to complete the layout so not necessarily a con.
Other Thoughts: I have only played the long tees to A pins. the course is very enjoyable and certainly tests your ability to scramble. I can only see this course getting better with time. As holes open up and players trample some of the brush, the lines will open up but still be challenging and realistic. I am definitely looking forward to coming back and seeing how the course progresses. i could easily see this beeing a 4.5 rated course in a year. great job to the designers for giving Ohio another higher par course.

Good Course

2-4    11/13/2010   11/24/2010
Review By: FISH FIRE
Pros: This is a good Challenging Course. It has a good variety of holes. Having two Tee Pads and Two Baskets For most of the holes will add a lot of re-playability. Signs for each tee are very good looking. Course is well marked Letting you know the way to your next tee.
Cons: The walks between holes are kinda long. Not a lot of well defined Fairways.

Goodness Gracious,

5+    11/13/2010   11/22/2010
Review By: cali
Pros: Where to start! This course has so much to really test your limits as a player whether you are new to the sport or a seasoned professional. I mean seriously, I've never played a course where I have had to just analyze every single shot so meticulously, edging myself mentally and physically to go for that extra few feet off the drive or finding that perfect sweet spot on the fairway with a placement shot to open up a hole to the target. I can honestly say that getting some of my 2's out there from the SHORT tees have been some of the most satisfying moments of my 8 years playing disc golf. This course URGES you to make those critical putts and get those tricky upshots just a few feet closer to the pin. Most holes, your drive off the box has to be pretty spot on to stay out of trouble, but if you do end up in a trouble area, recovery is not too difficult like with some of the honeysuckle infested courses in the area. I'm going to add more to this section so stay turned.
Cons: Some spots on the fairway are like prison bars with trees! Matt has assured us that they will be lightly thinning out some of the trouble areas. I vote they leave them! Just adds to the challenge!
Other Thoughts: Play it and you'll love it. Come prepared for a 3 hour round though because she is huge.

Never a boring round!

5+    11/21/2010   11/21/2010
Review By: Garrett76zt
Pros: Simply put, I love that you will never have a boring round at this course. Personally, I hate playing courses with nothing but pars and the occasional deuce or bogie. This course gives you the "opportunity" to shoot anything from deuce to a 9 depending on the hole. Unlike many courses you could actually see a 2 or 3 stroke swing between you and an opponent on one hole. To me thats interesting.

I love the shots that this course makes me throw, especially from the longs. Hole 2 for example has a very winding "fairway" to the hole. I like to take the most overstable disc in my bag and throw a high RHFH spike anhyzer and get it to flex out into a severe s-turn. Thats just fun stuff!
This course is a throwers course, and I dont mean distance. You must execute throw after throw. Some holes are par 5 from the longs which means 4 out of 5 throws you are not putting, more or less. I love/hate that, haha.
Cons: This course is young and is still pretty raw in some areas. I feel each hole was designed well but the beauty in the lines/fairways is sometimes overshadowed by unlucky obstacles. There are still lots of brambles and 1 inch thick vines hanging around all over the place. The fairways are already so tight, I want to be rewarded for executing and many times you just throw your hands up because you need luck in addition to skill. Often you see a line, execute it perfectly and one time it goes straight to the hole and other times it doesnt even get half way, same hole, same route.

Because of all that I feel like this will be a difficult course to shoot consistently at(at least right now). In tournament I could see you shooting 5-8 strokes difference between rounds, especially from the longs.

Hole 13 is the only one that right now is an unfair hole. There is just no clear fairway to the basket from the pad (shorts in particular) there might be two different unconnected paths, but even thats a stretch. You're taking anywhere from a 3-6 on this hole.
Other Thoughts: Overall, I love the course and would rather see them remove to little than too much in terms of trees and overgrowth.

I'm a 942 rated player right now and feel that the par 65 for the shorts (A pins) is fair. I have shot a few 990+ rated tournament rounds this summer for reference and I played well today shooting a 61. Playing my best I could probably knock 3 strokes off that score. On the other hand, you're on crack if you think a 67 is a reasonable par from the longs. I believe 65 or so would be an SSA rating for this course. Par should be in the range of 73 or so.

Finally A SWEET Course

5+    11/7/2010   11/15/2010
Review By: kily
This review was updated on 11/25/2010
Pros: This is one of the most chalanging courses that I've played. As a new course the minor issues with signs will be corrected and the idiots will clear far more trees then anyone really thinks should be cut. That being said, playing HAH will make any player better by forcing them to play a wide variety of shots and many that they will need to learn to play this course under par.
Cons: No tee signs on the white tee (being correct). I didn't see the problem with trees with the exception of hole 2 (being corrected this weekend).
Other Thoughts: As I read the other reviews and comments online, I wonder how many actualy took the time to look at the tee signs. Yes the white tees need signs and a few of them are hard to locate at first, but all can be found after looking at the tee signs on the blue tees. All of the holes have a significantly defined fairway where the tee sign says it is. I think the problem for most is they cleared so much honeysuckle away from the fairways that people either don't see the intended fairway or think the entire areas cleared of honeysuckle is the fairway. The best way to play this and any new course would be to walk the intended lines. Then go back and throw a few and don't forget to keep track of what you throw and the landmarks you use to play your line. If you think this is the same old disc golf course and walk up thinking you will be able to see every thing and rip it without thinking you will be lost and not like this course.

?????????

2-4    11/13/2010   11/14/2010
Review By: whatweretheythinkin
Pros: Anytime there is a new course it is a great thing. A lot of nice extras. Two set of tee pads, beautiful tee signs and good directional signs. I am sure it took a lot of people a large amount of time to put this in and finding people to do this can be difficult.
Cons: Where are the fairways. I see a lot of people think it's an excellent course, but how can you come to that conclusion?? There is no defined line on a vast majority of the holes. Yes they are "tight", but this is ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, there are some well thought out holes that play well, but it seemed a bit rushed in areas.
Other Thoughts: Get ready for a long round!!!!! Took us almost 4 hours to play. Probably won't play it again until some trees get removed, if that is their plan fro the future. My reason for a low review wasn't based on score. Shot 67 from the long tees. Just make in playable.

A great but tough course

1    10/30/2010   11/12/2010
Review By: Bikinimower
Pros: Great Park, Whenever you find a course located inside a public park odds are it's going to be mowed and well cared for, this one is no exception. Beautiful course

Great Land, You wouldn't think at first glance when you arrive but there is some excellent land out there and they did a great job taking advantage of it.

On alot of courses the hard tees are pretty much the same shot as the beginner tees but longer. Not here though, they did a great job of making the advanced tees noticeably different and harder. Often placed from a different elevation or vantage point or strategically placed behind some obstacle

Challenging, weaving around the trees can be frustrating but it's almost always fun.

Cons: Challenging, some will say that some of the fairways have too many trees. Those people could be right but there are definable lines. They may be tough but they are there. Whether or not I felt it was too dense varied from hole to hole. It seemed that when I hit the line I thought they were great but when I cracked it off a tree I thought the lines were too tight. It's funny how that works

Still a lot of brush (and maybe excess trees) to be cleared out but that's the case with nearly every single new course. I'm pretty sure that with time and care that will stop being a problem.

This is the 1st course I've every played with a corporate name. I know Handyman Ace Hardware is hardly an evil bloodsucking corporate giant but I live in fear of the day when the sport grows to the point where I have to pay 20 bucks to play Disc Golf at Nike Woods Park
Other Thoughts: Another great course to add to a Dayton area that's already loaded with great courses. Dayton, Columbus, and Cincinnati together form some sort of Disc Golf Triangle of Greatness. They all have some fantastic courses and it seems like there's a new great course being built every week

It weaves in and out from a field into the woods
but the majority of the course is wooded. It's tough but fair and hitting some of the lines will be difficult but I think this course was designed with an advanced player in mind. If you just starting out then you may want to try somewhere else

There are a series of holes that start at 7 and go till 12 or so that wind around a creek. I loved those holes! The creek comes into play several times and they really used the land to perfection.

If you live anywhere in the Columbus, Dayton, Cincinnati area then it's a must to hit this place up. Hitting a great line can be just as fun as launching a giant open field drive. (which by the way this course has several of those as well) It would be a great course to work on your accuracy. Good job guys

Watch out Mt. Airy

2-4    11/3/2010   11/10/2010
Review By: cedarvillian
Pros: This brand new course has the potential to be the best in OH, rivaling courses like Mt. Airy in Cincinnati. Concrete tee pads (both short and long on all but holes#8 & #12), good signage, and top notch baskets with alternate pin placements.
The designers have made very creative use of elevation, distances, obstacles (including water) in this heavily wooded park. This is a very challenging course and will force you to be creative with your shots since there are really only three holes (#4, #5, & #12) that could be described as mainly "out in the open." Many courses tend to favor RHBH throwers like myself, but this one evens the playing field for back handed lefties or forehand throwers. I typically shoot in the 50's, but this course handed me a 73 from the short tees on my first try.
Cons: In my opinion, the course needs to be thinned out a bit on several holes:
Minor thinning needed:
#2 - the drive isn't too bad, but the second shot is just luck. Too many small trees on the approach to the basket
#6 - just a couple trees removed here and it will be great
#10 - the fairway has a few too many trees
(Holes #14, #15 could stand a little thinning as well. They aren't bad now that the trees have dropped their leaves, but come spring / summer-time, all the trees might make these holes more based on luck than skill)

Major thinning needed:
#9, #11 (to the right), & #13 - getting down the fairway just seems to be luck of the draw on these holes.

I understand that the designers probably wanted to err on the side of caution as far as tree removal for this course since it's a whole lot easier to take trees out than it is to put them back in! Once this course is thinned a bit, I'll change my rating to a 5!
Other Thoughts: Plan on 2-3 hours to play this course it's not one that you can get through quickly.
If you have a disc that floats, bring it to use on holes #7 (B Pin) & #8, which cross a wide stream. My buddy had a disc go in the water that we were able to retrieve with a long tree branch, but it would have been difficult to retrieve if it had sunk to the bottom.
If it's your first visit to the park, the course is a bit tricky to find, so be sure to read the directions on the course page (when you get into the park, follow the road around to the right you'll feel like you're just going into a parking lot, but there is a road at the other end of this lot that curves left and takes you down a hill and deep into the park where the course starts)
A lot of tree leafs drop on holes #2 & # 18 in the fall and discs have a tendency to bury themselves based on the angle of the land. Send out a "spotter" if you're playing with a group, or be prepared to dig around the heavy leaf litter looking for your disc.
This is a "must-play" course and will only get better with time!

Hope you like trees!

2-4    11/7/2010   11/9/2010
Review By: yankeefanjln
Pros: High degree of difficulty. Opportunity for pretty good variety of shots. Beautiful park with very nice woods on the top part of the course - especially in the fall. The signage is top quality.
There are many trees and I like playing in the woods. It's fun to try to find a shot through what looks like an impossible situation.
Cons: The creek is hungry! Beware the holes that go right along the creek. There is a deep layer of mud just below the surface of the water so even if it looks like your disk is in only a few inches of water in a shallow creek, you may have to choose between a lost disc or ruined shoes. The mud comes right up to the banks so throw in such a way as to take the water out of play when possible.
There are many, many trees. Hitting trees is unavoidable on this course. The pars are higher than at other courses, but it's still tough to get through some of the denser woods.
Other Thoughts: It is really fun to play a course that makes you work hard on almost every hole. Creative shotlines will help avoid some trees but there are so many that you should plan on hitting some. Each time I've been on the course so far there have been several groups before and behind me so it looks like the course is drawing well.

1    11/7/2010   11/7/2010
Review By: jimcramer24
This review was updated on 8/20/2012
Pros: Tough challenging holes. I loved the change in terrain. The holes are well-designed. This course is really coming into it's own. The fairways are in great shape and the course is just getting better with time.