Fairborn, OH
Handyman Ace Hardware DGC Share
Uploaded By: hendersondayton Hole #9 (Taken 11/2010)

Great difficult course

5+    9/7/2013   9/16/2013
Review By: Donthavefun3
Pros: White and blue tee pads makes this course playable for a wide variety of players. This well maintained course is always beautiful. Better bring your A game here.
Cons: There is some nasty water in the the woods, that discs rarely come out of.
Other Thoughts: Great course !!! Have a good round.

must play

1    5/24/2013   5/25/2013
Review By: bbobsuek
Pros: Professional layout, requires strategic placement, balance of right and left, clean with great signage. I played this course for the first time and can not wait to go back. Shall i go on....opportunities to bomb, elevation, straight up strategy holes, ace runs....the finish through the woods is fantastic and fun
Cons: I cant decide whether to give cons or other thoughts...how about a few suggestions...and some of these are just preferences...even with all the signage the 1st time through sans guide will be a little frustrating. Maybe i did not understand the a b setup and had to walk ahead to find the basket and cipher and a line. Number 6 is train wreck....
Some of the smaller trees are a detriment...they are not risk reward just hope you miss them
Other Thoughts: Awesome job....y'all should be very proud of your creation....and the blue tees...well...they are for 950 plus players in my opinion....

One of Ohio's Finest

1    4/21/2013   4/22/2013
Review By: A.Mutt
This review was updated on 4/23/2013
Pros: + A Challenging but Fair Course
+ Whether a pro from the longs or an am from the shorts you'll find the distances very respectable.
+Healthy amount of Shot Variety
+Changing Elevation
+Beautiful Woods/Park
+Clean/Well Maintained
+Excellent Signage Makes Navigation Easy
+Quality Scorecards and Pencils for Free
+ Short/Long Tees and 2 Pin Placements on All Holes but a Few
Cons: - A Couple "are we there yet" long walks
- A few trees could be trimmed or removed to improve the fairways, if I'm being nit-pickey.
Other Thoughts: A truly beautiful, fun, and challenging course. 3 holes in I was thinking it was well worth the hour+ drive, by the midway point any doubt was removed. Set in the far back of a very clean and attractive community park, HAH (much love to anyone willing to sponsor a DG course, but it is a cheesy name if I'm being honest) starts you off on right foot with a prominent message board where you can survey the map and grab your complimentary scorecard and pencil. The first tee pad is clearly visible from the parking lot, and while there are couple times where you might question if you're on the long or short pad it should be fairly obvious on all holes. The signage is amongst the best I've personally seen on a DG course, in terms of easy to read/understand and visually appealing. Never did I have any question as to the layout of the each hole or where to start walking to find the next. I was never left wanting a bench as there were plenty, or a trash can. These factors that aren't course design related, go a LONG way towards improving a players experience. So for these "small things" alone those responsible deserve a high five and a hug.
On to the course design ...
The rhythm of the course was superb, I can't even say I really minded the extra long pauses between a few of the holes. So much of this course weaves through the woods, that it was appreciated that the first handful of holes were relatively open to allow one to warm up and get their crosshairs dialed in. Really starting with hole 6 the layout starts to make most of us to think in terms of landing zones, even from short tees. And thats something that I can't say I've seen much in my homestate. Holes 7 and 11 were excellent examples of this I thought. Where 7's basket is reachable if you want to take the risk of a semi blind through across a wide creek, its certainly much smarter to throw straight down the fairway and find yourself a nice clearing to throw across the creek to the right to reach the basket. On 11 trying to reach the basket is just out of the question and you've got a tricky proposition in front of you to snake through a tight alley of trees to reach the first landing zone, or go the longer but more open left to right route to find the landing zone. Even from there you've got a legit shot to make to start thinking about putting. There are certainly other examples but these were the two that really stuck out to me.
Find yourself complaining about courses favoring one type of player? Not here as you'll need to be able to go left, right, and straight. One aspect of this course I really loved is the options you'd have from the tee. Few holes were ever "wide" open for the players choice of shot, but most had at least 2 legit lines to take if not more.
In summation this is a course absolutely worth your gas money... really thats probably

**I would sincerely like to hear from the person who thought my review was not helpful. How could I improve this to the point you would have found it helpful.**

Date: 4/23/2013 Designer Response by: hendersondayton
There is a practice basket behind the Long Tee for #1. By the softball fields.

Local Favorite

5+    11/4/2012   11/11/2012
Review By: Hoagie14
This review was updated on 11/12/2012
Pros: This is an amazing course situated in a beautiful park. Since I'm a local, I'm fortunate and proud to be able to call this my home course. Always well maintained. Lines getting better every time I go. Perfect tees, signs, and pins. Having played many other courses in the area, I'm always eager to get back to handyman for the perfect mix of risk and reward. Great elevations. Amazing use of the park acreage. One of my favorite things is some of the walks between holes. I could go on all day about handyman. It just doesn't get any better than this one!
Cons: the bog of eternal stench doesnt smell so good sometimes but it really doesnt bother me enough to consider it a true "con".
Other Thoughts: since im in the local area, i would love to find out how i can help out around the course.

Date: 11/11/2012 Designer Response by: hendersondayton
$1million Dollars.

That is the estimate the city got to restore the creek. Hefty price! I am not sure if/when this can be achieved.

Thanks for your review!

Love HAH

5+    11/6/2012   11/6/2012
Review By: age178
Pros: Great layout. Very challanging and makes for a beautiful hike.
Cons: Still a bit to many trees on some holes with no defined lines/fairways. With so many trees, a good score on some of the holes is more based on luck rather than skill. However the course is new and constantly improving
Other Thoughts: Course is improving all the time.

Date: 11/6/2012 Designer Response by: hendersondayton
Thank you for your review of HAH!

Can you remember what holes you are referring to that you felt had no defined lines? Also, did you play from the White Tee's or the Blue Tee's? This makes a huge difference as we are still working on the blue tees.

1    10/28/2012   10/28/2012
Review By: wake911
Pros: Fun course, made me us rhbh and rhfh. I had to use hyzer straight and anhyzer shots. Had risk reward between going for it or laying up before the creek. I really enjoyed playing this course.
- scorecard and map provided. Thats awesome. Really helped on a few holes where the next ree was further away.
Cons: None really. The last reviewer felt the trees on the holes werent fair, but playing fron the white tees i felt i could see the right shot for a low score on virtually every hole. Blue tees looking really tough though, but i didnt play them.
Other Thoughts: It was 45 and windy as all heck (20mph) but i really enjoyed this course. Like my pros said. Every shot in my book was needed to score well. That is the definition of a good course to me. Im not much of a woods course fan, but slowly learning them and this was a good one. I highly recommend playing it.

2-4    10/8/2012   10/9/2012
Review By: AdamE
This review was updated on 10/11/2012
Pros: Handman Ace Hardware has two sets of concrete tees, top of the line tee signs at both pads, navigational signs pointing you to the next hole making navigation a breeze, and discatcher pro baskets which make the baskets easier to spot on this wooded course. There are also two pin placements for almost every hole.

The course is mostly wooded with lots of trees, tight fairways , although there are a few more open holes which provide some nice variety. There is underbrush on many of the wooded holes but it's off to the edge of the fairways. There are rolling hills on many holes, particularly in the woods, which provide some good elevation changes.

You will use every shot in your bag on this 18 hole course. The wooded holes which make up most of this course are very tight and require a wide variety of well executed shots to score well here.

There is an excellent variety of hole distances here ranging from the low 200's to 700 feet depending on which tee pad you're throwing from. There are a number of pro par 4 holes on this course and few pro par 5 holes as well. There are water hazards in the form of a creek that comes into play on a few holes and a pond that comes into play on one hole if you go long. There are nice bridges on the course to cross the creek when needed.
Cons: I looked at all the pictures and read some reviews before I played this course and I feel like I was fooled. The fairways looked tight but relatively fair from what I could see in the pictures, but in person and with leaves on the trees this is not the case on many holes. IMHO, twelve of the holes from either the short, long or both pads have fairways that are either unfair, have no real route to the basket, force you to hit unreasonably small gaps from far away, and punish good shots as much as they do poorly executed ones. And that is because luck is too big a factor on most of this course. On many holes there are so many trees to navigate, the best you can do is get past the first half dozen or so with a well executed midrange before luck takes over and who know what will happen. Additionally there are no well defined landing zones on most of the multi-shot holes.

Unless I'm missing something, the tee sign on hole 12 clearly indicates the "right of the pine tree row is out of bounds." There is nothing marked on the ground that I saw so that would lead me to believe the right side of the tree trunks is OB. That makes the far side of the basket almost touching the OB line. But perhaps there's another way the OB is marked here that I missed.
Other Thoughts: It's obvious a lot of hard work has been put into this course and feel bad beating it up so much. I very much enjoy challenging courses and love par 4+ holes which this course has, but IMHO this course lacks defined fairways and landing zones on the multi-shot par 4 and 5 holes. You can see this is basically the only thing I mention in my con's and that's because everything else on the course is great. There's a lot of potential here and could definitely see this course getting 4-4.5 rating from me if the fairways were fair, but I simply can't give that kind of rating to a course where luck is so large a factor on so many holes.

When I played this course, the baskets were in the B position. The excellent tee signs give me a good idea where the A position is but my review is mainly based of the baskets in the B position.

I found it odd that my experience was so vastly different from the review of other people I know and/or trust. After some correspondence with the course designer, I found out that the B positions is less developed and the long tees still need some work. Since I played a round from the short and long, both to the B position I believe this explains why my experience at the course seems quite a bit different than others. I hope to get back to the course when the pins are in the A position, but the course is 3 hours away so it might be a while before I make the trip again.

Handyman Ace

1    7/28/2012   8/11/2012
Review By: preludedrew
Pros: Awesome, challenging course, with fields and spacey wooded areas.
Cons: Needs to a mini bridge on Hole 8 over the swamp, rather than having to go back to the bridge you just came from.
Other Thoughts: Great, Tough, course, with some nice field shots and lots of areas to roam in the woods.

All around great course!

5+    7/24/2012   7/26/2012
Review By: bbutch
Pros: Ok, so I am a local, and this is only my second year playing this wonderful sport, but I have got a chance to play a few of the top rated courses including Flip City, and Idlewild, so I feel I have a good understanding of what a top tier course should be. This course is a perfect example of that.

- The course has 2 nice concrete tee pads for almost every hole, which playing from the shorts, and playing from the longs make it seem like you are at 2 completely different courses!

-Alternate pin placements makes for a fresh change, and on most holes completely changes the lay out.

-Very very well maintained course, seriously it gets nicer every time you show up

- Amazing full color tee signs on every hole

-Very good use of elevation

-Excellent use of the available land

-The design of this course will make you use every shot you have in your bag, and some that you didn't know you had!

-There are benches at a lot of the holes, and trash cans on almost all of them.

-There are restroom facilities

-The course is technical, and challenging, but not absurd, it forces you to better your game. Though sometimes it punishes you for your errant shots, it does it in a way that makes you just want to play it over and over again until you get it right.

-The location of the course being within 8 seconds of the highway exit makes it simple to find, and very accessible.

With all that being said, I love the way that everyday I wake up I am fiending to play this course again, and feel blessed to be able to call HAH my home course.
Cons: I will list this in cons, because that's what it is, but since there is not much that can be done about it by the course manager, or the designers at this time, I will not count it against the course.

That is there is a creek that comes in to play along 2 holes ( 7&8 ) That us locals have deemed "stink creek" It has mostly dried up right now, but when it gets up a little bit, you'll know where it gets its name from.
Other Thoughts: The course designer and course managers, do a great job maintaining this course, and did a miraculous job designing it!

If you get a chance to play this course DO NOT miss it!

Dayton Area's Finest

1    11/26/2011   12/5/2011
Review By: zapplayer12
Pros: While Handyman Ace Hardware is conveniently located off I-675 near Dayton, OH, the course is tucked away in the back of a fairly large and well maintained community park which creates a relaxed feel so the player can focus on the business at hand - tackling a technical, heavily wooded course that will challenge even the best of players.

Three main pieces of land are utilized:

A heavily wooded hillside where most of the course elevation is found.
The adjacent field where the wooded hillside, available trees, OOB, water and mandos all provide some challenge but still allow opportunities to air it out
Mainly flat woods; they are extremely tight, technical, have an OOB creek on 4 holes & to top it all off, contain three long, compound woods holes that will really test a player's resolve.

I was particularly impressed with how these three pieces of land were married in such an efficient design.

The course starts with an uphill drive from the open field into the wooded hillside. A really fun starter hole as it lets you air it out for a few hundred feet and then you get to the woods, add in an increased elevation grade leading to a pin on a slope & the party has started! #2 actually gave me flashbacks, reminiscent of densely wooded East Coast courses in the fall with leaves covering the fairway, vivid colors, rolling elevation, defined lines to hit, challenging length...I was starting to feel at home.

The next two holes tee off from the wooded hillside into the open field with #3's basket being tucked into the woods on the left and #4s out in the open with an OOB walking path in the vicinity. Five's blue tee's tree lined mando - which eliminates the right side hyzer option - is surrounded by OOB: on the left with a creek, the right with a walking path & a pond behind the fast-greened pin. It's an obvious transition, which all courses have going from one piece of land to another, but these elements add interesting dynamics and effortlessness to the changeover.

Then things start turning serious as the flat technical woods are entered. Six is manageable enough with obvious lines to hit with a neighboring OOB creek on the right that isn't a significant factor. Then there's 7, an S fairway off the blue tee with an incredibly disgusting creek bordering the entire right side of the fairway. As a local put it, it's only several inches of water but feet of mud. You do not want your disc in here so conservative play is mandated & placement is crucial. Add in a 'B' position pin placed at the end of the fairway just on the other side of the scum creek & let's just say the sphincter tightens up a bit. Eight is actually a little ace/deuce run back across the water adding in a pin on a quick green at the edge of the 'scum creek' which keeps the pucker factor tight.

Holes 9-11 are some of the most daunting compound technical woods holes I've ever played. At 690 ft., nine starts with a short, simple right turning drive over a small OOB creek...and then you enter the mass of trees. There are many lines to choose from, none of them obvious but they are there....and if you're wrong - Thwak! 10 continues the heavy woods barrage and adds the OOB creek at the latter end of the hole & plays longer than 576ft. The dual flight paths on eleven are an enigma for the first time player off the tee....being unfamiliar, I considered my decision much longer than normal - the feeling was similar to determining a course of action when 'in serious trouble' off the fairway...looking around at the lay of the land and weighing all of my options. Include 702ft. of thick woods with OOB behind the pin & these three holes were without a doubt the most complicated & difficult - accounting for nearly a quarter of the course's total length to boot!

The field to hillside transition hole #12 is much needed relief after the woods beat down yielding an air out opportunity but masks the basket - it's nestled in/near the end of the tree line.

13-17 return to the wooded hillside & while none are stand-outs, they flow naturally, have reasonable length with defined fairways, incorporate elevation & place pins carefully. The downhill finishing hole from the open blue tee bordering the parking lot into the woods was a nice treat - beautiful terrain traversing substantial woods then finishing with a pin out in the open. It's the longest hole on this hillside at 502ft. & was a fitting conclusion to well conceived sequence of holes.

Added touches such as two concrete tees for each hole (white/blue), detailed tee signs at each tee, multiple pin placements & easy navigation totally enhance the experience. There were some benches and trash cans as well as bridges, wood planks, etc to aide when crossing water or wet/marshy areas.
Cons: The lesser experienced may find the white/short tees intimidating at over 6,000ft & the woods holes too technical. A time investment is also needed so it's not a quick/easy play. The overall amount of walking (with some longer walks between holes) may seem taxing or excessive for some.

A pin position indicator would be beneficial as scouting for A or B location was necessary on some holes.

The creek on holes 7 & 8 is repulsive. My first thought was ' this creek needs to be dredged'. Until HAH, I had yet to encounter a water hole more foul that Jordan Creek's 'scum pond' hole #7 & now I have found two of them back to back!

There's the possibility of minor conflicts with pedestrian traffic near walking paths and with cars on 18 which borders the road into the back section of the park. Additionally some of the holes on the outskirts are adjacent to the adjoining neighborhood.
Other Thoughts: HAH is unique in comparison to other DGC's in the area which are moderately wooded with more open holes and generally don't have the length/intense forest combo in such excess. I found it more evocative of Pro Caliber courses I've played in the past which undoubtedly makes it stand out as the premiere regional course in my mind. It's one of those places where after completing the round, I immediately wanted to play it again. However I was on my way out of town so next time I'm back, this one will be a priority. Nevertheless it's a rating 'tweener. Be that as it may, I'm rounding up from 4 stars largely due to the fun factor I experienced. This is a must play/can't miss destination if nearby.