Fairborn , OH
Handyman Ace Hardware DGC Share
Uploaded By: hendersondayton Hole #1 (Taken 11/2010)

Eat your Wheaties...

1    4/18/2011   4/18/2011
Review By: culinarywiz
Pros: Beautiful Park. The course primarily plays in the woods, which are rough and rustic. The grassy/recreational areas were nicely kept and
lush. This muliti-use park has many facilities.

A creek winds through holes 5 - 10, coming into play several times. Its not too deep, but there was one point in particular - traversing the 9th fairway - that a bridge or some more logs in the water would have been nice.

Pretty nice elevation change-ups, starting with the upshot on hole 1.

Great length. Most holes are in the 450ish range. This course boasts a total distance of 7660ft with a standard 18 holes.

There are two tee options and two pin placements for most holes. The pin placements are diverse. Sometimes A seemed like the tougher line and sometimes B. There is a sign at the entrance that states which pin placement is in effect for the day. The two concrete pads per hole were nice and big. Just the way we like 'em! The short pad on 11 was extra large and extra sweet.

The signage was amongst the best I have seen. The tee signs are very detailed, showing distances and lines for each of the tees and pin placements. The next tee signs were extremely helpful. Every hole directed your steps. I printed a map before leaving for the course...yet I never once refered to it.
Cons: Threre are way too many convoluted fairways. Most of them are in the back nine. Hole 2 was tight. OK. I can deal with tight holes. Obvioulsy, I expected tight holes here. Then I got to 9. Again, tight but reasonable. Then hole 11. This is when my opinion of this course began to change. I dare you too show me a defined fairway on this 700+ foot behemoth. There is none. I know, I spent over 10 minutes looking for one. Hole 12 was open, but the remainder of the course was ridiculously riddled with random trees and defined fairways were hit and miss at best.

This course is very spread out. Expect a hike. Also, expect to burn some time here. This is not a quick play. Not only does the course sprawl across the park, but unless you have pin point precission, you will be goin' side to side as well as forward.

Unfortunately for the designers and keepers of this beautiful and well kept course, they are gonna have their hands full with vandals. Some of the signage is defaced and the 18th tee sign was missing. I was going to make this trip earlier in the month, but 3 of the pins had been stolen. They have since been replaced.
Other Thoughts: This place has serious charm. I realize that my expectations of what a fairway should be only represents my opinion. That aside, this course truly is sexy. It has all the desired amentities and the layout flows well.

This is the kind of course you could score a 65 one round then a 80 the next. Its a course of inches. I tried to play it as a par 54 today. Not even close. I will definitely play course par 66 next time out.

Dayton has a lot of nice courses. This entire area is a hotbed for some serious discin.

Fairborn , OH Handyman Ace Hardware

1    4/10/2011   4/17/2011
Review By: brettbates
Pros: Course is very challenging with multiple water hazards and an across the river shot. Trees are strategically place to increase challenges and dual pad locations allow increase in difficulty as desired. Course offers open holes and wooded holes with increased difficulty and also dual hole placement on varying days.
Cons: Some areas have a bit too many trees and should be trimmed back. A few holes are difficult to identify hole location from T-pad and may need a map to navigate these holes.

Sleeping Giant!!!

5+    3/28/2011   4/1/2011
Review By: Darth Anovin
Pros: Ahhh, where to start? Well, first of all, the designers of this course did an excellent job. They definitely used the elevation changes to the course's advantage here. Here you have uphill shots, downhill shots, and even a drive out of the woods followed by an approach back into the woods. And with the individual hole designs, you WILL use every shot in your bag. During a round here, you may even find yourself saying, "I wish I could throw a forehand, tomahawk, etc…" You get the idea. The course has concrete pads, which is a plus considering all but 2 holes have both a long and short pad. And 11 holes have two different basket placements as well, all of which are Innova baskets. But this course is no pitch and putt. It IS challenging. Therefore, if you like a challenge, you will not be disappointed with HAH. Maybe it's due to the challenge, but every time I've played at HAH, it's never been crowded. On a final note, the designers and people that take care of it treat it as though it's one of their children. It is very well taken care of. And if by chance something needs attention at this course, it gets taken care of very quickly!
Cons: There are only a couple beefs I have with this course and, while in no way do I feel that this course is too long, they have to do with the length of the course. First, it needs more trash cans. The longer people are on a course, the more trash they will produce that will more than likely end up on the ground if adequate recepticles aren't available. And second, since it is a very long course, I'd like to see a few picnic tables or places to rest for a moment placed throughout the course. Other than stagnant water in a few spots, I can't really complain about my home course.
Other Thoughts: For those that have read the negative reviews about this course, don't be deterred. This is an A-level course. A common complaint I've noticed is regarding the trees. Well, those trees are a part of the course. If you don't like trees, play somewhere that's wide open. THIS COURSE IS NOT FOR BEGINNERS. If you can't hit your lines and shape your shots, why would you play a par-65 course anyway? Unless, that is, you are serious about getting better and want to learn these shots. If so, I only ask that you don't get discouraged. This course will eat you up if you let it. Par is 65 from the short pads. My worst round here is a 73 +8, but I have shot a 58 -7 here also. Hit your lines and keep the plastic flyin' my friends

*This course scored a 38 out of 45 on my rating system.

1    3/22/2011   3/30/2011
Review By: streetz.2
Pros: -Good Hole Variety
-Well marked
-Nice tee pads and nice well labelled baskets
Cons: -Way too many trees in the way! There are really no defined lines to shoot for and many times I felt like I was just gripping and ripping my shots through the woods. Got very frustrated after repetedly bashing my shots into trees. I can only imagine that this situation will get worse once leaves grow on the trees. Course also takes a long time to play.
Other Thoughts: This course is definitely challenging and you will need a good chunk of time to play. I do think as the course is continually worked on it will improve greatly, into one of the nicest courses in the area even. But until then I don't plan on wasting my time and my shots on another frustrating round here.

NEW COURSE!

5+    3/27/2011   3/27/2011
Review By: Dizz
Pros: HAHFairborn is a one of a kind Championship course located in Fairborn, OH. This course when completed will be among the top courses in the country. The people who designed this course took a massive piece of land and shaped and carved a great course into it. The layout has a great flow to it and no two holes are the same, each has its unique feel.
I play this course just about every weekend and its by far my top local course and Top 10 all time. The course is very well marked with Professional Tee signs, Next Tee Signs, colored score cards, pencils, information board and more. Also with two tee pads for Pro and Am it gives you two different views of the course.
Hole 1 | Uphill shot into the woods, Tee shot is in the open throwing uphill to a tree line that is the start of the woods. There are multiple lines from the AM tees. The Pro Tees take a really good forehand or nice RHBH Anhyzer.
Hole 2 | Takes some finesse to get to where you want to be. This holes is one of my favorite on the course, both tee pads have plenty of lanes to choose from. This hole can eat you up if your not careful, walk away with Par or better and be happy.
Hole 3| Make a good tee shot! Throwing through a 8ft-10ft wide gap into an open field, this is a RHBH hyzer shot because the pin placement is set back into the woods. So your throwing out and then coming back in, 357' for AM Tee and 423' for Pro.
Hole 4 | Another gap tee shot, elevated, shooting into an open field with walking path 15-20ft to the right of the hole is OB. Straight shot 269' AM / 336' Pro.
Hole 5| This is a really fun hole. The basket sits about 260+' from AM tee and 300 for Pro. Takes a well placed shot to walk away with a birdie on this hole, there is a pond about 25' behind the hole
This is just a small preview of the first few holes. Starting from 6-11 you enter long technical tight wooded shots, demanding placement shots to connecting fairways. Hole 7-8 you are running along and crossing the "river of stink" but looking past the smell it's a very scenic two holes. Moving on to hole 12 you get another open shot with a mando gap off the tee to a basket that it set inside a row of pine trees. Holes 13-18 are all technical wooded shots with LOTS of elevation. Hole 14 is a straight uphill tunnel shot that is 350+ from AM tees and 440 for Pro's. Takes a few well placed shots to walk away with Par. As for the rest of the course, every hole has it's own style and appeal. I would highly recommend playing this course if you are in the area. It is very well maintained and one of the best in the area. Please keep in mind that the course is new and is still being worked on every weekend, when completed it will be one of the best in the state.

Other Thoughts: I personally play here every weekend, by far my favorite local course.

Go play this course 2-3 times then go back to your regular course, I guarantee you will take at least 3-4 strokes off your score. This course will greatly improve your game.

better than before

2-4    3/30/2011   3/24/2011
Review By: moshjosh368
This review was updated on 4/1/2011
Pros: Great distance and variety of distance.
beautiful park, challenging, great signs and tee pads and baskets. they opened it up a little more when they cut down some trees, but still is challenging which is good. There are lines you just have to look for them somethimes they are not were you think the should be or usually are but thats ok it makes it more challenging.
Cons: Not to much to complain about now since they cut down 40 trees but I would say that some tables or something in the back part to rest would be nice. They still need to clean up some falling trees and limbs that are on the ground to hard to throw any rollers. Maybe on a couple of holes that there is a creek or water maybe a little bridge or something better than a bunch of twigs and branches to walk across.
Other Thoughts: Going to be even more challenging when the leaves come in but its a fun long course would like to see maybe someday them adding 6 more holes they have the space I think. It is a fun course but it will punish you for a bad shot. I would like to play with all these people that say they shot low numbers cause I dont believe them. I have played 7 times now and everyone I have gone with which one was my cuz that just finished 2 at a texas tourney shot high 70 to low 90. Does take a long time to play but I like that as long as there are places to rest. Maybe a little more trash cans would be nice if people actually would use them but we all know there are a..holes that play too. STOP STEALING BASKETS YOU FING IDIOTS

2-4    11/10/2012   3/22/2011
Review By: chipstar
This review was updated on 11/13/2012
Pros: The length of the holes allows you to open up and throw full strength
There are multiple tee pads for every hole except two holes
The baskets are really nice, each basket has the hole number it corresponds to on it.
The tee signs are great, good color, distances marked.
The tee pads are nice and long to allow for ample run up.
The course is set in a really nice park
Cons: If you throw into the water it is really nasty looking
Other Thoughts: This is a really nice course, one of the nicest I've played
The updates made to the course since the first time I played warranted a better review.

Reality Check

1    3/19/2011   3/20/2011
Review By: Chainrattler
This review was updated on 8/31/2011
Pros: Update: 8-30-2011
I was urged to give Handyman another chance, and I'm very glad I did. There was a huge difference from my first experience. The amount of thickness of the trees have been thinned perfectly. Each hole now has lines that, in my opinion, utilizes skill to play. Before this it was basically throw and hope for the best.
Cons: Trees were x 1000 per hole (updated) Now, trees are well placed to promote skill.
Other Thoughts: I updated this to a Very Good Course. I think it's awesome how the people involved have worked to perfect this prime piece of land into a great course. Well done!!! I will look forward to playing this course again.

Pro level course with constant improvements

2-4    11/20/2010   3/16/2011
Review By: douglowe
This review was updated on 11/12/2012
Pros: Being a fairly new player to the sport of disc golf, I've tried to play as many of the local courses as I can. That being said, this course is the only one in the Dayton area that I consider to be a pro level course. From the moment you arive you can tell this course is different. There is the large engraved rock course sign, ball golf style scorecards, white and blue tee pads, and well thought out pin placement. The course even has it's own website, which includes a mobile version that has a hole map, hole length, par, overview, improvements list, and photos. I've also been told that QR codes are being added to the tee signs so you can use your smartphone to go directly to each holes mobile page. So many courses in this area look like they were installed and forgotten, but this course is under constant improvement. You can feel that those that manage the course really care about maintaining and advancing it as the best course in the area. It's this constant improvement and care that pushed me towards giving this course a 5 star rating.
Cons: This is not a beginner's course. It's long and it's challenging. Even from the white tees you must carefully plan your next throw. No throw and go here. The last time I played here some of the wooded fairways needed to be a little more defined, but I've heard that's either been taken care of, or will be soon. Expect a long, challenging, but fun game out here.

UPDATE: I hate to do this, but I'm going to have to drop the rating from a 5 to 4 discs. There are just too many holes with completely undefined "fairways". Just because there is a flight path on the tee sign, doesn't mean that flight path actually exists. There seem to be several tee shots that feel like the only thing you can do is throw and pray that you don't hit a tree. I'd rather rely on skill than luck. This is also going to make your scores inconsistant from day to day, making it harder to determin if you're getting better or worse, or just lucky or unlucky.

UPDATE x2: So, now that I have a little more experience under my belt (and the Fairborn BID is coming up) I decided to tackle HAH again. I found that this course really relies on thinking, much more than others. You can't just throw towards the basket, get there in 3, then move on. For most of the holes you really have to take the time to plan each throw. I think this is what makes HAH a Pro level course. it's not for the casual 'throw and go" player. Just by planning my throws and being careful I was able to knock 7 strokes off my game, and could have knocked off a few more if I'd have taken a little more care.
Other Thoughts: Plan your throws carefully. Don't just think about your current throw, but the next one too.

Great Challenge

5+    3/10/2011   3/15/2011
Review By: Hyzerman
Pros: This course will have you using every shot in your bag, regardless of skill level. Not many can claim this beast, consecutively. Might shoot a -6 one day and even the next round, just demanding.
Cons: Its so demanding at times you may start to lose morale! Ground seems to hold moisture and flooding occurs, better topography would be nice, but mulch and such could def. improve this course
Other Thoughts: My personal favorite course!