Fairborn, OH
Handyman Ace Hardware DGC Share
Uploaded By: hendersondayton Hole #14 (Taken 11/2010)
Hole #14 Approach

Pro level course with constant improvements

2-4    11/20/2010   3/16/2011
Review By: douglowe
This review was updated on 11/12/2012
Pros: Being a fairly new player to the sport of disc golf, I've tried to play as many of the local courses as I can. That being said, this course is the only one in the Dayton area that I consider to be a pro level course. From the moment you arive you can tell this course is different. There is the large engraved rock course sign, ball golf style scorecards, white and blue tee pads, and well thought out pin placement. The course even has it's own website, which includes a mobile version that has a hole map, hole length, par, overview, improvements list, and photos. I've also been told that QR codes are being added to the tee signs so you can use your smartphone to go directly to each holes mobile page. So many courses in this area look like they were installed and forgotten, but this course is under constant improvement. You can feel that those that manage the course really care about maintaining and advancing it as the best course in the area. It's this constant improvement and care that pushed me towards giving this course a 5 star rating.
Cons: This is not a beginner's course. It's long and it's challenging. Even from the white tees you must carefully plan your next throw. No throw and go here. The last time I played here some of the wooded fairways needed to be a little more defined, but I've heard that's either been taken care of, or will be soon. Expect a long, challenging, but fun game out here.

UPDATE: I hate to do this, but I'm going to have to drop the rating from a 5 to 4 discs. There are just too many holes with completely undefined "fairways". Just because there is a flight path on the tee sign, doesn't mean that flight path actually exists. There seem to be several tee shots that feel like the only thing you can do is throw and pray that you don't hit a tree. I'd rather rely on skill than luck. This is also going to make your scores inconsistant from day to day, making it harder to determin if you're getting better or worse, or just lucky or unlucky.

UPDATE x2: So, now that I have a little more experience under my belt (and the Fairborn BID is coming up) I decided to tackle HAH again. I found that this course really relies on thinking, much more than others. You can't just throw towards the basket, get there in 3, then move on. For most of the holes you really have to take the time to plan each throw. I think this is what makes HAH a Pro level course. it's not for the casual 'throw and go" player. Just by planning my throws and being careful I was able to knock 7 strokes off my game, and could have knocked off a few more if I'd have taken a little more care.
Other Thoughts: Plan your throws carefully. Don't just think about your current throw, but the next one too.

Great Challenge

5+    3/10/2011   3/15/2011
Review By: Hyzerman
Pros: This course will have you using every shot in your bag, regardless of skill level. Not many can claim this beast, consecutively. Might shoot a -6 one day and even the next round, just demanding.
Cons: Its so demanding at times you may start to lose morale! Ground seems to hold moisture and flooding occurs, better topography would be nice, but mulch and such could def. improve this course
Other Thoughts: My personal favorite course!

Challenging, yet fun

2-4    12/4/2010   12/6/2010
Review By: slojoe1559
Pros: Location is superb. Community Park is a large, well taken care of, family friendly park located just off of 675.

Takes advantage of varying terrain to provide a chance for almost every kind of shot imaginable and each hole is almost completely different from the one before. It does not seem to prefer one kind of thrower over another.

Multiple tees offer a significant change to most holes, unlike other courses where distance may be the only change between tees.

Clear, although challenging, lines visible on all holes.

Overall great course.
Cons: Some holes are very punishing with the amount of trees/brush if you miss your line. This will only improve with age.

Creek along hole 8 is a mudpit. Not that there is anything to be done about this, but just be careful retrieving a disc or you might lose a shoe.

Small creeks/drainage ditches are a little treacherous to walk through, but there is a way around each one if you do not mind walking a little bit.

When raining or snowing, small pond forms in walkway between hole 11 and 12 forcing players to walk through brush to stay dry.
Other Thoughts: I have enjoyed each time playing the course and am challenged by both the distance and skill required to play this course well. I look forward to playing HAH as it continues to improve. I have only played from the long tees, but the short tees were easy to find, even when covered in snow, if you look at the tee signs located by the long tees.

Handyman

1    12/6/2010   12/6/2010
Review By: Myers
Pros: Course is in a public park with plenty of land and activities going on. great tee pads, tee signs, baskets, and navigational signs. I believe the layout is fantastic! designers used the land and provided all types of shots from open bombs to short and technical, over creeks, challenging pin locations, Short and Long tee pads and 2 pin positions for all holes. The course will challenge all skill levels and can frustrate even the best of players. there are some awesome shots out in the open as well and the wind adds challenge on these holes. There are low ceilings, creeks, great elevation changes (especially in Ohio), and even a pond as a back drop to a pin.
Cons: As it goes with all new courses there needs to be some thinning out in some areas. The potential here is awesome though. there are a couple long walks but i think it is well worth it to complete the layout so not necessarily a con.
Other Thoughts: I have only played the long tees to A pins. the course is very enjoyable and certainly tests your ability to scramble. I can only see this course getting better with time. As holes open up and players trample some of the brush, the lines will open up but still be challenging and realistic. I am definitely looking forward to coming back and seeing how the course progresses. i could easily see this beeing a 4.5 rated course in a year. great job to the designers for giving Ohio another higher par course.

Good Course

2-4    11/13/2010   11/24/2010
Review By: FISH FIRE
Pros: This is a good Challenging Course. It has a good variety of holes. Having two Tee Pads and Two Baskets For most of the holes will add a lot of re-playability. Signs for each tee are very good looking. Course is well marked Letting you know the way to your next tee.
Cons: The walks between holes are kinda long. Not a lot of well defined Fairways.

Goodness Gracious,

5+    11/13/2010   11/22/2010
Review By: cali
Pros: Where to start! This course has so much to really test your limits as a player whether you are new to the sport or a seasoned professional. I mean seriously, I've never played a course where I have had to just analyze every single shot so meticulously, edging myself mentally and physically to go for that extra few feet off the drive or finding that perfect sweet spot on the fairway with a placement shot to open up a hole to the target. I can honestly say that getting some of my 2's out there from the SHORT tees have been some of the most satisfying moments of my 8 years playing disc golf. This course URGES you to make those critical putts and get those tricky upshots just a few feet closer to the pin. Most holes, your drive off the box has to be pretty spot on to stay out of trouble, but if you do end up in a trouble area, recovery is not too difficult like with some of the honeysuckle infested courses in the area. I'm going to add more to this section so stay turned.
Cons: Some spots on the fairway are like prison bars with trees! Matt has assured us that they will be lightly thinning out some of the trouble areas. I vote they leave them! Just adds to the challenge!
Other Thoughts: Play it and you'll love it. Come prepared for a 3 hour round though because she is huge.

Never a boring round!

5+    11/21/2010   11/21/2010
Review By: Garrett76zt
Pros: Simply put, I love that you will never have a boring round at this course. Personally, I hate playing courses with nothing but pars and the occasional deuce or bogie. This course gives you the "opportunity" to shoot anything from deuce to a 9 depending on the hole. Unlike many courses you could actually see a 2 or 3 stroke swing between you and an opponent on one hole. To me thats interesting.

I love the shots that this course makes me throw, especially from the longs. Hole 2 for example has a very winding "fairway" to the hole. I like to take the most overstable disc in my bag and throw a high RHFH spike anhyzer and get it to flex out into a severe s-turn. Thats just fun stuff!
This course is a throwers course, and I dont mean distance. You must execute throw after throw. Some holes are par 5 from the longs which means 4 out of 5 throws you are not putting, more or less. I love/hate that, haha.
Cons: This course is young and is still pretty raw in some areas. I feel each hole was designed well but the beauty in the lines/fairways is sometimes overshadowed by unlucky obstacles. There are still lots of brambles and 1 inch thick vines hanging around all over the place. The fairways are already so tight, I want to be rewarded for executing and many times you just throw your hands up because you need luck in addition to skill. Often you see a line, execute it perfectly and one time it goes straight to the hole and other times it doesnt even get half way, same hole, same route.

Because of all that I feel like this will be a difficult course to shoot consistently at(at least right now). In tournament I could see you shooting 5-8 strokes difference between rounds, especially from the longs.

Hole 13 is the only one that right now is an unfair hole. There is just no clear fairway to the basket from the pad (shorts in particular) there might be two different unconnected paths, but even thats a stretch. You're taking anywhere from a 3-6 on this hole.
Other Thoughts: Overall, I love the course and would rather see them remove to little than too much in terms of trees and overgrowth.

I'm a 942 rated player right now and feel that the par 65 for the shorts (A pins) is fair. I have shot a few 990+ rated tournament rounds this summer for reference and I played well today shooting a 61. Playing my best I could probably knock 3 strokes off that score. On the other hand, you're on crack if you think a 67 is a reasonable par from the longs. I believe 65 or so would be an SSA rating for this course. Par should be in the range of 73 or so.

Finally A SWEET Course

5+    11/7/2010   11/15/2010
Review By: kily
This review was updated on 11/25/2010
Pros: This is one of the most chalanging courses that I've played. As a new course the minor issues with signs will be corrected and the idiots will clear far more trees then anyone really thinks should be cut. That being said, playing HAH will make any player better by forcing them to play a wide variety of shots and many that they will need to learn to play this course under par.
Cons: No tee signs on the white tee (being correct). I didn't see the problem with trees with the exception of hole 2 (being corrected this weekend).
Other Thoughts: As I read the other reviews and comments online, I wonder how many actualy took the time to look at the tee signs. Yes the white tees need signs and a few of them are hard to locate at first, but all can be found after looking at the tee signs on the blue tees. All of the holes have a significantly defined fairway where the tee sign says it is. I think the problem for most is they cleared so much honeysuckle away from the fairways that people either don't see the intended fairway or think the entire areas cleared of honeysuckle is the fairway. The best way to play this and any new course would be to walk the intended lines. Then go back and throw a few and don't forget to keep track of what you throw and the landmarks you use to play your line. If you think this is the same old disc golf course and walk up thinking you will be able to see every thing and rip it without thinking you will be lost and not like this course.

?????????

2-4    11/13/2010   11/14/2010
Review By: whatweretheythinkin
Pros: Anytime there is a new course it is a great thing. A lot of nice extras. Two set of tee pads, beautiful tee signs and good directional signs. I am sure it took a lot of people a large amount of time to put this in and finding people to do this can be difficult.
Cons: Where are the fairways. I see a lot of people think it's an excellent course, but how can you come to that conclusion?? There is no defined line on a vast majority of the holes. Yes they are "tight", but this is ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, there are some well thought out holes that play well, but it seemed a bit rushed in areas.
Other Thoughts: Get ready for a long round!!!!! Took us almost 4 hours to play. Probably won't play it again until some trees get removed, if that is their plan fro the future. My reason for a low review wasn't based on score. Shot 67 from the long tees. Just make in playable.

A great but tough course

1    10/30/2010   11/12/2010
Review By: Bikinimower
Pros: Great Park, Whenever you find a course located inside a public park odds are it's going to be mowed and well cared for, this one is no exception. Beautiful course

Great Land, You wouldn't think at first glance when you arrive but there is some excellent land out there and they did a great job taking advantage of it.

On alot of courses the hard tees are pretty much the same shot as the beginner tees but longer. Not here though, they did a great job of making the advanced tees noticeably different and harder. Often placed from a different elevation or vantage point or strategically placed behind some obstacle

Challenging, weaving around the trees can be frustrating but it's almost always fun.

Cons: Challenging, some will say that some of the fairways have too many trees. Those people could be right but there are definable lines. They may be tough but they are there. Whether or not I felt it was too dense varied from hole to hole. It seemed that when I hit the line I thought they were great but when I cracked it off a tree I thought the lines were too tight. It's funny how that works

Still a lot of brush (and maybe excess trees) to be cleared out but that's the case with nearly every single new course. I'm pretty sure that with time and care that will stop being a problem.

This is the 1st course I've every played with a corporate name. I know Handyman Ace Hardware is hardly an evil bloodsucking corporate giant but I live in fear of the day when the sport grows to the point where I have to pay 20 bucks to play Disc Golf at Nike Woods Park
Other Thoughts: Another great course to add to a Dayton area that's already loaded with great courses. Dayton, Columbus, and Cincinnati together form some sort of Disc Golf Triangle of Greatness. They all have some fantastic courses and it seems like there's a new great course being built every week

It weaves in and out from a field into the woods
but the majority of the course is wooded. It's tough but fair and hitting some of the lines will be difficult but I think this course was designed with an advanced player in mind. If you just starting out then you may want to try somewhere else

There are a series of holes that start at 7 and go till 12 or so that wind around a creek. I loved those holes! The creek comes into play several times and they really used the land to perfection.

If you live anywhere in the Columbus, Dayton, Cincinnati area then it's a must to hit this place up. Hitting a great line can be just as fun as launching a giant open field drive. (which by the way this course has several of those as well) It would be a great course to work on your accuracy. Good job guys