Hanna City (Peoria), IL
Wildlife Prairie Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: ToddT Hole #9 (Taken 10/2015)
-- / 347ft.   -- / 566ft. Par / Distance:
Hole #9 White Tee

Wildlife is a jungle and I survived.

1    8/8/2016   8/8/2016
Review By: #19325
This review was updated on 8/28/2016
Pros: Keep in mind this review is coming on 08/08/2016 after playing it 1 time. I will update after I play the course again.This review was updated after playing Ledgetsone. I know a lot of hard work has gone into developing this course and I do not want to hurt anyone's feelings. I also understand the course is not complete and is a work in progress. Saying that I want those who are visiting to understand what they are getting into when they play this course. It's open and there is a fee to play. Reviews should reflect that.

**This course is a hike!!! This is not a well manicured public park. There is some rugged terrain. I managed to get my Zuca Cart through it but this place is no joke! I probably would not use a cart again. I would highly suggest wearing pants or long socks.** I did not use a cart and it was quite a bit easier to navigate but don't underestimate the terrain.

I am not afraid of any long/tough course and prefer the toughest layouts any course has to bring on. We started off playing the long layout and switched over to the short layout.

This course will challenge the best of the best. If you cannot throw shots accurately I would not attempt to play this course. Do not bring 1st timers out here!

This park is one of the most unique I've played in nearly 350 courses. It's in a secluded area and has huge elevation, flat long open, water, tight woods, and more. At times you forget you are in Central Illinois. There are some spectacular greens and tee areas. The long layout has some epic holes.

The bright Orange Mach 5's are fantastic and much needed. Being able to locate them is a big help.

Conctrete tee pads that are plenty spacious and grippy.

There were next tee signs all over the course. They helped navigate the course. Without them it would have been a challenge.

There were some spectacular holes out there. #2 was a fantastic par 4/5 with a water carry and great elevated free. Risk/Reward. Go big or hit the layup zone?

#3 is one of the craziest hole's I've ever played. Putter shot down a super elevated hill backstopped by a river. WOW!

Overall there were a variety of holes and I threw a lot of different discs. I don't recall any holes being bad.
Cons: After playing this course the first time the grass was cut for the event and quite a bit of work was done to make it more playable.

My #1 biggest con is the ankle deep grass and thick rough in the fairway. We were really excited to play this course. Realizing how thick the grass/rough was in the fairways we decided to play the short layout 6 holes in. Looking for good shots in the fairway is not fun! Looking for discs period is not fun!

After we switched to the short layout this course became more hiking than playing disc golf. If you are playing the short layout be prepared to walk, walk, and walk some more.

The flow started off pretty good however declined after #8. The walk from #8 to #9 is long as well as the walk from #9 basket to short #10. The walk from 12 to 13 short as well and then 15 to 16 then 16 to 17. This became very frustrating.

I've been on a lot of disc golf road trips with my buddy. We discussed the course at lunch. On hole #18 we picked up our discs and walked off the course. I have never done this EVER. After looking at the green to #18 we just left. Knee deep grass everywhere around the baskets.

Even the short layout is not beginner friendly.

Be very careful. There are some steep areas, I played on a dry day. I can only imagine what it'd be like after rain.
Other Thoughts: IMO this course should not be pay to play until it's completed.

There is poison ivy in and stinging nettles. Pants or long socks are a good idea.

Massive mowing, weed whacking, and clearing of landing areas could make this course much more playable/enjoyable.

I want this course to be successful but it's going to be very difficult to draw crowds. It's so difficult and rough I don't see the recreational player base developing. Maybe I'll be wrong but the other local courses are going to be tough to compete with.

a great workout

1    8/6/2016   8/8/2016
Review By: IndyTyler
Pros: The course has a lot of potential. I am sure it will be amazing when it is complete. Lots of elevation changes. Long and short holes. Uphill and downhill. Left to right and right to left. Nothing felt repetitive. Good design and use of land.
Cons: Course is not complete yet so I will not comment on the overall all course.

DO NOT BRING A CART HERE!!! YOU WILL HATE LIFE!!!
Other Thoughts: Hopefully the grass is cut and the last few pads poured before Ledgestone in a week and a half.

Keep up the good work guys.

THE COURSE IS<<NOT DONE YET>>

1    4/3/2016   4/3/2016
Review By: sthomas128
Pros: This course is still changing and a work in progress.
I can't honestly believe people are wasting the time to critique a course that's STILL IN THE DESINGN PHASE
Cons: This course is still changing and a work in progress.
Other Thoughts: This course is still changing and a work in progress.

Amazing Course

2-4    12/19/2015   12/21/2015
Review By: ToddT
Pros: This course will be one if not the best course in the state when it is completed. A play through here is like going on a highly rated nature hike.

- One of the best pieces of property of any Disc Golf course anywhere.
- Elevation change is immense. 100+foot hills you will be traversing up and down.
- Variety of holes. Left, Right, Up, Down, Long, Short.
- Recently updated directions on all of the holes. Tape and arrows have been posted very recently which address the concerns from the review below.
- Multiple memorable epic holes
- Excellent Baskets
- Hard but not impossible shots

Cons: - Pay to play ($9)
- Mountain Bikers and Hikers use trails that cross over a lot of the greens.
- No concrete T-Pads yet
- Non intuitive layout
- Flags indicating T-Pads are not easily spotted, and are missing on several of the Gold pads but are on all of the amateur pads.
Other Thoughts: Make sure you keep a copy of the course layout ready, you will need it. There is red tape someone put up with arrows and directions and indicators to find the next basket, my last time through was much easier because of this. The amateur pads (white) are completely reasonable and it is not impossible to shoot a solid par round. The Pro pads however (Gold) are way harder, often hundreds of feet longer and will really give you a stern kick in the nuts. Once the Ledgestone rolls through here next year, this course will be transformed into a championship caliber course.

Lots of Potential, Falling a Bit Short As Is

1    10/25/2015   10/27/2015
Review By: Jukeshoe
Pros: - Wildlife Prairie DGC is located on an utterly amazing piece of property for disc golf design purposes. Epic elevation throughout, several great water carries over small ponds, and plenty of thick forest combine to offer a real challenge for discers of all skills. The aim is clearly to put in a gold-level course of the highest caliber, although easier white tees do exist for those wanting to avoid a complete beatdown.
- Elevation is used spectacularly. There are several flat holes (1, 9, 10) but plenty of crazy ups and downs on others (3, 6, 14, 16). Hole #3 is a short steep downhill through trees with a river directly behind the basket. Just a touch too much power and you'll end up swimming. Hole #6 plays up a massive hill. Hole #14 plays along a steep hillside sloping down hard to the right, guardian trees lining the fairway waiting to kick your disc off a good long ways with little chance of a decent recovery shot. Hole #16 is apparently* a huge downhill bomb through the woods.
- Water is used very well here. #2 is a hyzer bomb over a reed-lined pond, with a bail-out zone for weaker arms to the left (where the white tee can be found). #3 has the river behind the basket. #8 is a picturesque, frog-filled pond, with a decent water carry and plenty of room to the left to bail out . Hole #15 is a good long water carry without a real decent bailout zone. The path to the right of the pond is fairly narrow, with a small earthen berm running the length of the path to the right. You can land on the path/berm if not attempting the full water carry, but it leaves you very little with which to work, and considering the basket is right on the edge of the water with thick trees behind, you still could end up wet or with a very bad look from the woods after approaching from the layup zone.
- Some beautiful nature out here. I saw a huge crane and a deer.
Cons: -*Full disclosure: I did NOT find all the holes, despite having a map and looking for a long, long, long time. I could not for the life of me find #s 5, 6, 16, 17, & 18. My round took almost 4 hours WITH A MAP. I do NOT get lost in the wilderness easily. The navigation/routing here is very dicey at the moment. No signs. Not even tape on the baskets to point the way to the next tee. Most baskets were numbered: except for the ones I actually needed to be numbered. Concrete tees are easy to find in the open areas, but only are in on #'s 1, 9, and 10. So once in the woods, you're looking for small orange flags for the tees...they're almost impossible to find with all the elevation, fallen limbs, and orange leaves on the ground at the moment. Add the fact that one or two have been mowed over (I had to pick up the little pieces of flag for Long 13 and piece them together, for example) and the horrific course flow (more on that in a second) and the tees were very much a challenge to find.
- This is not a disc golf exclusive area. In fact, it's heavily trafficked by mountain bikers. Numerous bike loop trails crisscross the course throughout. I was passed by no less than 8 large groups of bikers, a few groups in multiple spots. Nothing detracts more from an epic course than having to constantly wonder if you're going to get run down from behind by a (rightfully so) clueless biker. This is more of a mountain bike area than a disc golf area, so expect to play second fiddle to the bikers. I seriously question the wisdom of having these two activities overlap in such a conflicting manner.
- The flow of this course is ridiculous in places, all the more so because of the lack of signage. The best example of what I can only describe as "whack-ass flow" is after #12, you have to pass #15's basket, walk down its fairway, walk uphill into the woods past the long tee, pass #14's basket, go up a small rise (the path is barely visible) down a bike path to the hidden #13 (where you find flags that have been mown over). This is perhaps the most egregious case of routing/flow I've personally witnessed. I've navigated corn mazes with more intuitive flow than this place. Do I go down the bike trail to find the next tee? Do I risk being run over by mountain bikers to perhaps find the next series of tees? These are tough questions you might ask yourself after wandering around in the woods going "What the ****?!" for a half-hour, WITH A MAP!!!
-There are some downright dangerous hilly sections. To the right of #14's fairway is a very steep slope covered in shale rocks (currently under fallen leaves). That's a nasty slide downhill waiting to happen. There are other dicey areas with next to nothing in the way of pathways or stairs to provide safe walking routes. Sometimes these areas are in the middle of a fairway.
- Hole #'s 1 & 9 look like they're used as parking for events. They had yellow caution tape tied to tall fiberglass poles running the lengths of the fairways, which do kinda get in the way a bit. The flat and open nature of 1, 9 and 10 make them a bit on the "throwaway-ish" side of things in comparison to the rest of the course.
- The rough is *rough.* I was cool with 95% of the rough, but #13's "fairway" is damn ridiculous. A bunch of tall grass, brambles, shrubberies, and general undergrowth make losing discs in the fairway a real possibility, even on the edge of the circle.
- Look, I like Pay-to-Play...I've never really bitched about pay-to-play...but I got charged $9(!!!) for three concrete pads, no signage, horrible flow, for less than 18-holes (good luck finding 16-18 unless you walk backwards from 18's basket) in a non-dg exclusive park area. I've never left such a potentially magnificent course more pissed off than at Wildlife Prairie.
Other Thoughts: - This place should get better. Tees are still going in (evidenced by the wood frames on #3), and that should help with finding the next tees in the wooded sections. Signage should go in (until it does for the love of god some local should tape the baskets to indicate direction to the next tee location!!) and that can't hurt. Nothing, however, will fix the wonky-ass goofiness of 12-16's flow.
- From a pure golf standpoint: this course is a solid 4-disc course, minimum. Maybe 4.5, but I hesitate to say that when I couldn't even find all the damn holes. Considering all the issues, I can't give the course more than a 3-disc rating at the moment.
- For some reason they erected a wooden wall halfway down #12's fairway. I've seen similar ideas, but this one just seemed a bit unnecessary, considering it's already a heavily wooded course.
- $50 yearly pass makes this a viable alternative for locals, without breaking the bank.