Platteville, WI
UW Campus-Platteville Share

Definite 4.0

1    10/29/2015   10/29/2015
Review By: ElementZ
Pros: There is no doubt in my mind that this is a 4.0 course.

The design, layout, and terrain is awesome! There is a great variety in shots, the course flows incredibly intuitively from hole to hole, and the land is wooded and hilly. It's an incredibly fun round of disc golf and is attractive for beginners and pros alike. I highly recommend checking it out!

The equipment is incredible as well. The maps at each hole are very descriptive, the concrete tees are great even in wet conditions, and holy shiz the Mach X's seem to be sent from the disc golf gods.

I had an absolute blast playing here and wish I would have had more time to play another few rounds.

The mix of ace runs, bomber holes, left/right, up/down was fantastic. Mega props to the design team and to the maintenance team for this course!
Cons: a) Where the hell are you supposed to park your car? Trying to access this course as an outsider was incredibly difficult! We ended up parking in a permit only zone and got lucky that we didn't get ticketed. Granted, we went during school hours on a week day, so maybe it's not that bad on a weekend.

b) Kids everywhere! Again, playing during school hours, they were criss-crossing all over the place and it was slightly distracting. Some of the course plays over side walks, so you may need to be careful sometimes.
Other Thoughts: I highly enjoyed and recommend this course. I love hilly/wooded courses, so this course hit my sweet spot. Great for beginners and pros alike! Check it out!

This course got me hooked

2-4    9/27/2015   9/30/2015
Review By: cmax25
Pros: Plenty of interesting looks that present modest to medium difficulty but never get boring.

Plan for every shot in the arsenal to be used: backhand, forehand, tomahawk, etc. This course challenges even the experienced disc golfer.

Most of the holes #1,2,4,6,8,9,10,11,12-15,17,18 can be reached by one shot if you can throw (300 ft) give or take.

A few longer holes like 3,5,7,12 (has the dogleg right) &16 are unreachable by most accounts.

Make a mistake here and you will get punished by many thick weeds that inhibit the holes along the creek-side. That's the way it should be. Classic examples are holes 7,8,12,13.

Scenery is phenomenal accompanied by steep valleys, a thin forest which make use of some trees, a creek that plays into a few holes. Simply put, breathtaking scenery when you reach the back nine and see the vast open expansion of land with varying dimensions of altitude.

Garbage cans at most holes, fully detailed signs, concrete tee pads, the course has the infrastructure available. Very easy to navigate. Didn't see any restrooms around but plenty of room for nature.
Cons: The course can be difficult to access for first timers. I suggest looking at a map or asking for help if you get lost.

Some students can get a bit rowdy as they tend to forget the proper etiquette of disc golf (screaming, not letting people pass, etc)

Course surrounds the campus so students are walking around in the way of many shots surrounding the bike path. Therefore, you must wait at certain junctions which is frustrating and can kill your momentum.

A few holes have blind shots where you can't see where your disc went. I spent approximately 25 minutes searching for my disc on two holes (I found it), it helps to have a spotter.
Other Thoughts: I just really love this course for many reasons. Generally, you can expect to find more than a few groups playing which adds to the excitement of the atmosphere. I have been to some courses that are essentially cemeteries; even though the layout is magnificent.

One reviewer felt that this course was not worthy of hosting a tournament. I must disagree wholeheartedly. In fact, I saw many amateurs struggling mightily during my round. While the course is ripe for opportunity it still presents a modest challenge for all skill levels.

A Piggly Wiggly Supermarket exists a few miles away that offers many choices for food and drinks. I picked up some delicious cheese curds beforehand and enjoyed them on the course.

5+    8/21/1994   8/21/2014
Review By: Spike Hyzer 23
Pros: It has a number of great holes and is a very good challenge that rates slightly better than a beginner course, and not quite a competitive course (which is not to say that it wouldn't be fun for leagues or tournaments).
Cons: The tees used to be horrible and there were many awkward uphill driving holes that reduce your distance significantly. That has improved a bit. There are a few poorly designed holes and some fairways are too close to one another. The longest hole is boring and could have been two shorter more challenging holes that could have reduced crossing fairways.

Fun course on Campus

2-4    7/21/2012   8/1/2014
Review By: brentwood_17
Pros: Fun holes great piece of land with elevation changes. one hole that has stuck in my mind was hole 8 long drive with a putt for a duece opportunity. The hills are important to this course and create some blind tee shots which create some nice ace opportunities.
Cons: I feel that this course is dangerous. Especially when you have a couple different holes playing to a central area of the park with 2 teepads and 1 baskets seperated by 30 feet. I played this course on an early summer Saturday and Sunday morning and only people I saw where some elderly people out for a stroll on the paved walking paths which you throw over more than once in the design. If I was here when other people where on the course my feeling might have changed.
Other Thoughts: enjoying shots and nice elevation make this course a quick and easy play could use updated signage to help with routing. No way you could run a big event on this course with the amount of holes close by each other in the middle of the park.

The Best

5+    4/8/2014   4/8/2014
Review By: ajfranke3
Pros: My friends Bryant, Peter, Leah, Logan, and me are beasts at this course. They have a mix of all types of ranges and enviorment shots. It's really easy to follow the course. Good chances on getting hole in ones.
Cons: This course is pretty great beside it gets crowded and people just stand infront of holes like idiots. Other than that great course recommended for all!!!

Decent course on beautiful campus

1    7/23/2013   7/24/2013
Review By: bygwyllay
Pros: Very well designed course in a pristine setting. This was my first course in Wisconsin, and all I can say is that I hope all the land is a gorgeous as it is in the southwestern part of the state.

The course plays behind a couple dormitories through some fairly hilly and sprawling grassland. There is a deep rut worn through the middle that is heavily wooded, but unfortunately the course plays around it rather than in it. Overall, the course design really uses the land it was given, and while it is a bit cramped in spots, I have a feeling it was more because of the campus restrictions than designer error. There is more than enough room to spread the course out a bit, but it would infringe on land laid out for other activities.

One of the biggest pros here is the use of elevation - nearly every hole uses it to some extent, with many downhill shots off the tee and even a few uphill drives mixed in. There is great variety in length here as well, with some of the longer holes over 400' and one or two ace runs of just over 150'.

Great care has been taken into the course, which is evident by the well manicured fairways and controlled rough. There are signs on every tee but one (looks like it was cut down), and not only do they show the path to the basket, but when needed, they show the course map so you know where to go next. Very cool. While I didn't see any trash cans, there were a couple of homemade benches held up by chain swings, adding some charm to the place. In short, I was expecting a lot worse for a course that is over 20 years old. Honestly, the only thing that gave away its age were the baskets. The majority of them are in good shape, with double hung chains providing plenty of grab. And each has a big circle on top with the hole number outline welded into it, easily distinguishing one from another when you're on the tee. On about half the actual basket catcher itself is dented or rusted, or the welds have just plain given way, and there were one or two where one of the chains had rusted through and hung out of the bottom. But nothing a few minor repairs couldn't fix.

The first three holes play in front of a dorm out by the road and have you shooting out under a canopy of aged trees. It can be a bit windy for these, but that is your biggest obstacle, as there is no underbrush in sight. These holes serve as a nice warm up before you head behind the building and into the hilly area.

Once back, you basically travel up one side of a valley and down the other, cutting across once or twice to break up the walk. Most shots have medium to tight fairways but offer plenty of forgiveness if you go astray of the fairway. One of my favorites was #5, which is a decent downhill shot with a tight landing area to set up your approach. #11 & #12 play at the farthest point from your car, along a tiny stream/river that offers more scenery than any actual threat to your drive. The last six holes give you a view on one of the oddest things I've ever seen: a fenced in cemetery smack in the middle of campus. I'm sure there's a story here, but damned if I know how a college sprung up around that.
Cons: CONS
Really not a lot of cons here, but I'll list some things that are keeping it from being rated higher:
I mentioned above that the land itself could've been utilized more. Have one or two holes cut into the ravine and woods, instead of playing around them. There really isn't a "wooded" hole on this course...maybe #13? Even that one is a pretty wide open dog leg through to a big clearing and the pin.
Again, I felt the course could've been spread out a bit more; there is plenty of room to expand, especially at the back, like after #12, or shoot over the creek river before turning around. Because of this, the whole place feels cramped, and while I played on a summer day when campus was deserted, I could easily see issues when multiple groups are out playing. The first and last three holes zig-zag back and forth and the fairways overlap, making a hazard and kind of a dull way to begin and end your round. In addition, some of the shorter holes definitely could (and should) have been lengthened; there are too many lazy birdies to be had.
While I loved the use of elevation, I did not enjoy the fact that the tee pads sloped along with the hill. So if you're shooting downhill, you're stepping downhill, which is not only dangerous, but alters the angle of your shot as well. Several of my drives went into the dirt or, when I tried to correct for the angle, shot sky high because I overcompensated.
I don't know if this is a con or not, but the course wasn't very challenging. Sure, there were some tricky moments, but I wouldn't put this course on the level of some of the 4+ star rated courses I've played. Maybe this is due to the layout restrictions or the age of the course, but this isn't somewhere I would go out of the way to play.
Other Thoughts: This is a nice, quaint course for a fun round. The atmosphere is great, and I think is probably heightened when class is in session. Hell, I wish my college had a course when I went there. Overall, UW-Platteville is a three-star course with an extra .5 tossed in for creativity and vision. I just wish they could have/would have taken it one step farther than they did. I will probably play this one again next time I'm out that way.

Great Course

5+    10/10/2009   5/4/2013
Review By: aufbau8884
Pros: This course is open enough for good play but has a good range of trees. The turns of some of the holes makes this course seem like a true golf course. The hills make it fun and can give you quite a workout. The stream bordering holes makes it fun. Good mix of varying hole length. This is the best course I have ever played.
Cons: -If you are driving in while school is in session, parking can be hard.
-Can be crowded when students are on campus.
- Hole 17 & 18 will never be the same after a walking path was put through them in the late 2000s.

2-4    5/14/2011   5/14/2011
Review By: Smallz0r
Pros: Lots of good variety of shots, hyzers, anhyzers, wooded, open.

Distances of the holes vary.

Tee signs, and maps on most holes make it easy to navigate.
Cons: Holes overlap and have to throw over.

Homemade baskets are getting to the end of their lifetime.

Some tees are very sloped with dropoffs after.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed this course but the baskets are pretty much shot on a few holes. I played it on a pretty empty day which was good, can't imagine playing on a busy day with the holes you have to throw over tee pads.

5+    3/25/2011   3/25/2011
Review By: Horsman
Pros: Great course design. Lots of extreme elevation changes and the distance on some holes is pretty decent. Most of the course is in the woods and there was a very good job done in playing the course around the woods and the campus.
Cons: Its on UW-Plattevilles campus and because of this there are a lot of kids who do not know how to play and this leads to people getting large groups to play and tey take a long time and do not let you play through. Some of the baskets are in rough shape from dumb ass kids that think that it will be funny to mess with the baskets.
Other Thoughts: Overall you should definatly stop by and play.

UW Platteville

1    8/17/2010   10/21/2010
Review By: DGman
Pros: I really enjoyed this course.A beautiful campus with lots of mature trees of many varieties. Great use of elevation. It was well marked with course signs posted periodically and the course flowed well finishing up by hole 4. The first 3 holes aren't anything spectacular, but once you get to the back part of the campus (behind Glenview Dining Hall) things improve drastically. Lots of variation in hole lengths with elevation changes, dog legs L & R (some blind). I think I threw every shot I have resulting in using about every disc in my bag. Holes 11 & 12 are along a beautiful creek, but no risk of losing a disc here or anywhere on the course really. Overall a pretty challenging course and very fun to play. It was really windy the day I played this course, but it wasn't a factor on the back part of the course with all the tress and hills. I would toss this one again in a heartbeat!
Cons: First three holes are kind of fillers.
Old baskets.