Platteville, WI
UW Campus-Platteville Share
Uploaded By: BrewCrewJake Hole #1 (Taken 5/2011)

Fun course on Campus

2-4    7/21/2012   8/1/2014
Review By: brentwood_17
Pros: Fun holes great piece of land with elevation changes. one hole that has stuck in my mind was hole 8 long drive with a putt for a duece opportunity. The hills are important to this course and create some blind tee shots which create some nice ace opportunities.
Cons: I feel that this course is dangerous. Especially when you have a couple different holes playing to a central area of the park with 2 teepads and 1 baskets seperated by 30 feet. I played this course on an early summer Saturday and Sunday morning and only people I saw where some elderly people out for a stroll on the paved walking paths which you throw over more than once in the design. If I was here when other people where on the course my feeling might have changed.
Other Thoughts: enjoying shots and nice elevation make this course a quick and easy play could use updated signage to help with routing. No way you could run a big event on this course with the amount of holes close by each other in the middle of the park.

I still enjoy this one

2-4    9/24/2009   9/29/2009
Review By: tallpaul
Pros: This marks the fourth time I've been to the U.W. Platteville course over a span of 15 years. From my first visit, and including this last round here; I am pleasantly reminded that I find this course charming.
Use of elevation is one of this course's main assets.
New tee signs are informative and give the impression that things are on the upgrade mode here.
Cons: Overall length not quite up to modern standards.
Tees are concrete; but are quite old and crumbling in some cases. Also, there are quite a few that are slanted up or down hill. I personally, find this to be part of an interesting design; that used to be used much more often. However, modern players rarely see this design feature and do not like it when they do. There are some injury danger aspects to this style of tee pads.
Homemade buckets. A few spit outs amongst our group of five. I did not have any myself; and again, I find different style buckets to be charming. These hold very well IMOH for old homemade baskets; and I believe they require a little more touch when putting. However, for the modern player who drives every putt home with AUTHORITEE!; these will be considered to be a little weak.
Buckets have recently been repainted with silver paint; and visually look pretty good.
As with all school courses; you will have to play around students to some extent.
School had begun when we came this time. Parking was extremely full. Both of our vehicles parked in a lot which said by permit only; as all spaces on the road were completely used up. The good part is that we got no ticket. Bad part is that you hate to begin a round and play; thinking you may get one.
Other Thoughts: These days; there are tons of courses on school campus'. U.W. Platteville was a very early college campus course. For it's time; it was a wonderful course. By today's standards, it is a little "old school." However, I found this course to be very enjoyable and will stop in again when in the area. The new tee signs seem to indicate a new interest in upgrade. If they do some tee work; the overall course will be one more level improved. Without some modern redesign, this course will probably never earn more than a 3 rating, and this may be slightly generous. But, as I said, knowing the history, and compared to many of the campus courses I've played; I find this one both charming and challenging.