Platteville, WI
UW Campus-Platteville Share

Another great UW course!!!

1    8/28/2010   8/28/2010
This review was updated on 8/30/2010
Pros: 1) Big concrete pads makes this course much more playable.

2) Practice basket near the first tee, always a welcome sight.

3) Set in the heart of campus so the usage on this course is high I am sure, but the accessibility is huge right next to all of the dorms. I happened to play on freshman move in day. All I know is if I had this in college I probably would be working for QVC or in a carnival somewhere, or perhaps I maybe would have joined the circus!!!

4) Benches available at different times through the course and garbage cans available in a few spots too.

5) Nice signs with a general layout, par, and distance. A nice sign commemorating the people who helped get this awesome course installed. That was a nice touch, but I maybe would have put it behind a basket or near the first tee, rather than in the middle of the fairway. They did make mention of it on the 3rd tee sign so I am sure a lot of people end up looking at it.

6) Tight fairways and moderate elevation changes really create a nice challenge here. I am sure playing multiple times would make this decision making process much easier, but regardless there is some real thought that needs to come into play on many shots.

7) Although the baskets leave a little to be desired they do have number plates and they are pointed n the right direction to figure out which hole is which. SOme but not all are painted in a bright color.

8) Trees are of utmost importance on this course and the design is wonderful. They create all of the challenge especially when used in combination with the elevation changes on this course.

9) I never expected the river to be in play but it truly is. I happened to catch the last peninsula on #11, 3 feet short or 3 feet long and my disc was gone. I led to a bogey but I am ok with that. It's always nice to have some form of water on the course. It normally wouldn;t be much of an issue and I am sure I would never end up there again, but it was in play today and I love it. BTW it was flowing quickly.

10) Overall it is clear to me disc golfers helped install this. It is supremely designed and takes all the key features of this campus area into account. I love the use of elevation of going up and down the valley multiple times. I also think the design of the tighter wooded holes was very well done. All in all just a great design which really makes the course fun even if it was tough!
Cons: 1) Old homemade baskets leave a little to be desired, but I am sure vandalism would be huge on a college campus. Perhaps that is the reason many of the baskets are all bent up.

2) Danger comes into play on a few tee and basket locations. #6 basket, #7 tee and #15 tee are all pretty tightly placed on the property. An errant drive that hyzers out quickly on #6 could hit someone on either tee. It literally isn't more than 45' in between the three places in a triangle. That will lead to an issue down the road if it hasn't already. #16 tee also throws right over the top of #5 basket . . . and #17 tee throws right over #16 basket . . . .never a good idea. The other trouble area is located between #10 basket, 11 tee and 12 fairway. There are likely to be some injuries on these holes over the years because of errant shots on #10 or #12.

3) Erosion is a problem on multiple areas of the course especially just off teepads and around baskets. Fortunately the baskets all have a 3' diameter ring of concrete, so they will never get ripped out of the ground. There are many places where if you went off the end of the tee you might break and ankle.

4) Many of the concrete tees are not level, this creates an extar factor to consider when throwing as your body is in a way different position than it would be normally. Adjust accordingly or you will have some errant shots, and the teeshots are critically important here! Many of the tee pads are cracked and damaged on top of the sloping issues.
Other Thoughts: A local UWP student who works for me told me that the garbage cans are set up perfectly for beer drinking. I am not sure but I carry 16 discs and 2 putters, I couldnt carry as many beers as I think she is referring to. Regardless I thought it was an interesting anecdote because if I went to school here and lived in the dorms (right next to the course) I may not have graduated, I would have ended up a "carny", in the circus, or a QVC employee.

5+    8/16/2009   9/25/2009
Review By: Wavebird812
Pros: I love this coures its got everything. its got some long hole's some short one's aswell. Just an incredeble variety of shot's but the best thing about this course is the awsome elevation change almost every hole has some make's for a fun and challenging time
Cons: This course may have the worst baskets ever. thair old and rusty and your disc can fall out the bottom
Other Thoughts: Even tho the basket's suck This course is great. don't pass on playing it.

Nice Course

6/1/2008   6/1/2008
Review By: WIpilot
Pros: All kinds of different types of holes. nice elevation change on a lot of the holes. Challenging when the trees grow there leaves. Great signage
Cons: some baskets are bent up. some of the tee pads are not level making it difficult to throw. some construction going on that interferes with a hole.
Other Thoughts: nice course overall. Wear your hiking boots.

First Review

4/24/2008   4/24/2008
Review By: gordonn
Pros: Its got a little bit of every terrain; every hole is different. Holes aren't extremely long; good starter course.
Cons: Can get a little muddy when wet.
Other Thoughts: Slightly challenging course. Fairly open to wooded course. Must have many different shot types to do well.