Platteville, WI
UW Campus-Platteville Share

The Best

5+    4/8/2014   4/8/2014
Review By: ajfranke3
Pros: My friends Bryant, Peter, Leah, Logan, and me are beasts at this course. They have a mix of all types of ranges and enviorment shots. It's really easy to follow the course. Good chances on getting hole in ones.
Cons: This course is pretty great beside it gets crowded and people just stand infront of holes like idiots. Other than that great course recommended for all!!!

Decent course on beautiful campus

1    7/23/2013   7/24/2013
Review By: bygwyllay
Pros: Very well designed course in a pristine setting. This was my first course in Wisconsin, and all I can say is that I hope all the land is a gorgeous as it is in the southwestern part of the state.

The course plays behind a couple dormitories through some fairly hilly and sprawling grassland. There is a deep rut worn through the middle that is heavily wooded, but unfortunately the course plays around it rather than in it. Overall, the course design really uses the land it was given, and while it is a bit cramped in spots, I have a feeling it was more because of the campus restrictions than designer error. There is more than enough room to spread the course out a bit, but it would infringe on land laid out for other activities.

One of the biggest pros here is the use of elevation - nearly every hole uses it to some extent, with many downhill shots off the tee and even a few uphill drives mixed in. There is great variety in length here as well, with some of the longer holes over 400' and one or two ace runs of just over 150'.

Great care has been taken into the course, which is evident by the well manicured fairways and controlled rough. There are signs on every tee but one (looks like it was cut down), and not only do they show the path to the basket, but when needed, they show the course map so you know where to go next. Very cool. While I didn't see any trash cans, there were a couple of homemade benches held up by chain swings, adding some charm to the place. In short, I was expecting a lot worse for a course that is over 20 years old. Honestly, the only thing that gave away its age were the baskets. The majority of them are in good shape, with double hung chains providing plenty of grab. And each has a big circle on top with the hole number outline welded into it, easily distinguishing one from another when you're on the tee. On about half the actual basket catcher itself is dented or rusted, or the welds have just plain given way, and there were one or two where one of the chains had rusted through and hung out of the bottom. But nothing a few minor repairs couldn't fix.

The first three holes play in front of a dorm out by the road and have you shooting out under a canopy of aged trees. It can be a bit windy for these, but that is your biggest obstacle, as there is no underbrush in sight. These holes serve as a nice warm up before you head behind the building and into the hilly area.

Once back, you basically travel up one side of a valley and down the other, cutting across once or twice to break up the walk. Most shots have medium to tight fairways but offer plenty of forgiveness if you go astray of the fairway. One of my favorites was #5, which is a decent downhill shot with a tight landing area to set up your approach. #11 & #12 play at the farthest point from your car, along a tiny stream/river that offers more scenery than any actual threat to your drive. The last six holes give you a view on one of the oddest things I've ever seen: a fenced in cemetery smack in the middle of campus. I'm sure there's a story here, but damned if I know how a college sprung up around that.
Cons: CONS
Really not a lot of cons here, but I'll list some things that are keeping it from being rated higher:
I mentioned above that the land itself could've been utilized more. Have one or two holes cut into the ravine and woods, instead of playing around them. There really isn't a "wooded" hole on this course...maybe #13? Even that one is a pretty wide open dog leg through to a big clearing and the pin.
Again, I felt the course could've been spread out a bit more; there is plenty of room to expand, especially at the back, like after #12, or shoot over the creek river before turning around. Because of this, the whole place feels cramped, and while I played on a summer day when campus was deserted, I could easily see issues when multiple groups are out playing. The first and last three holes zig-zag back and forth and the fairways overlap, making a hazard and kind of a dull way to begin and end your round. In addition, some of the shorter holes definitely could (and should) have been lengthened; there are too many lazy birdies to be had.
While I loved the use of elevation, I did not enjoy the fact that the tee pads sloped along with the hill. So if you're shooting downhill, you're stepping downhill, which is not only dangerous, but alters the angle of your shot as well. Several of my drives went into the dirt or, when I tried to correct for the angle, shot sky high because I overcompensated.
I don't know if this is a con or not, but the course wasn't very challenging. Sure, there were some tricky moments, but I wouldn't put this course on the level of some of the 4+ star rated courses I've played. Maybe this is due to the layout restrictions or the age of the course, but this isn't somewhere I would go out of the way to play.
Other Thoughts: This is a nice, quaint course for a fun round. The atmosphere is great, and I think is probably heightened when class is in session. Hell, I wish my college had a course when I went there. Overall, UW-Platteville is a three-star course with an extra .5 tossed in for creativity and vision. I just wish they could have/would have taken it one step farther than they did. I will probably play this one again next time I'm out that way.

Great Course

5+    10/10/2009   5/4/2013
Review By: aufbau8884
Pros: This course is open enough for good play but has a good range of trees. The turns of some of the holes makes this course seem like a true golf course. The hills make it fun and can give you quite a workout. The stream bordering holes makes it fun. Good mix of varying hole length. This is the best course I have ever played.
Cons: -If you are driving in while school is in session, parking can be hard.
-Can be crowded when students are on campus.
- Hole 17 & 18 will never be the same after a walking path was put through them in the late 2000s.

2-4    5/14/2011   5/14/2011
Review By: Smallz0r
Pros: Lots of good variety of shots, hyzers, anhyzers, wooded, open.

Distances of the holes vary.

Tee signs, and maps on most holes make it easy to navigate.
Cons: Holes overlap and have to throw over.

Homemade baskets are getting to the end of their lifetime.

Some tees are very sloped with dropoffs after.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed this course but the baskets are pretty much shot on a few holes. I played it on a pretty empty day which was good, can't imagine playing on a busy day with the holes you have to throw over tee pads.

Platteville

5+    3/25/2011   3/25/2011
Review By: Horsman
Pros: Great course design. Lots of extreme elevation changes and the distance on some holes is pretty decent. Most of the course is in the woods and there was a very good job done in playing the course around the woods and the campus.
Cons: Its on UW-Plattevilles campus and because of this there are a lot of kids who do not know how to play and this leads to people getting large groups to play and tey take a long time and do not let you play through. Some of the baskets are in rough shape from dumb ass kids that think that it will be funny to mess with the baskets.
Other Thoughts: Overall you should definatly stop by and play.

UW Platteville

1    8/17/2010   10/21/2010
Review By: DGman
Pros: I really enjoyed this course.A beautiful campus with lots of mature trees of many varieties. Great use of elevation. It was well marked with course signs posted periodically and the course flowed well finishing up by hole 4. The first 3 holes aren't anything spectacular, but once you get to the back part of the campus (behind Glenview Dining Hall) things improve drastically. Lots of variation in hole lengths with elevation changes, dog legs L & R (some blind). I think I threw every shot I have resulting in using about every disc in my bag. Holes 11 & 12 are along a beautiful creek, but no risk of losing a disc here or anywhere on the course really. Overall a pretty challenging course and very fun to play. It was really windy the day I played this course, but it wasn't a factor on the back part of the course with all the tress and hills. I would toss this one again in a heartbeat!
Cons: First three holes are kind of fillers.
Old baskets.

uwp course

5+    9/15/2010   9/15/2010
Review By: discordie
Pros: This course has a few very interesting doglegs that are unique in comparison to all the other courses I've played. Hole number 5 being the most extreme, is almost a 90 degree dogleg first throwing down into a dip to try to get around the corner, then another throw 150 more feet up a steep hill. This hole is very hard to get a 3 on, making it one of the hardest holes I've ever played. There is a nice variation in hole length, and very very few of the holes seem repetitious. I like this course because it allows me to use every single shot type I have in my arsenal. A lot of hole require a well placed anheiser shot to achive a 3. The signs are well made, although the directionals on the tee and basket placement could be a little more accurate.
Cons: Many of the tee pads are angled up or downhill making for some dangerous footing if you're a power thrower. Some of the holes have baskets placed in the fairway of another hole, which makes being observant key to not getting drilled with a disc. Also, the baskets are very old, custom made by the school sometime between 1979 and 1983. Because of this, some of the chains are old, and don't catch as well as newer baskets do. I have also seen some disc fall out of the bottome of the basket after a shot made. I played yesterday, and on hole five the actual basket itself fell down the pole and rested on the ground. Hopefully, this will be fixed soon. The only other con I can think of is that because the course is on campus( a great, great thing), there are many times large groups of young discers ( 8 to 10 in a group) who don't understand the ethics of letting smaller groups or single players play through. If you've ever been playing alone and been behind a group of 8, with half of them throwing tomahawks on EVERY single throw...you know the aggravating slow pace that can hold up your game.
Other Thoughts: Overall, this course is very enjoyable, with many options on throws on a lot of the holes. Play them all as 3's and you've got one challenging course. There is an intramural sport disc golf league for students. Awesome.

Another great UW course!!!

1    8/28/2010   8/28/2010
This review was updated on 8/30/2010
Pros: 1) Big concrete pads makes this course much more playable.

2) Practice basket near the first tee, always a welcome sight.

3) Set in the heart of campus so the usage on this course is high I am sure, but the accessibility is huge right next to all of the dorms. I happened to play on freshman move in day. All I know is if I had this in college I probably would be working for QVC or in a carnival somewhere, or perhaps I maybe would have joined the circus!!!

4) Benches available at different times through the course and garbage cans available in a few spots too.

5) Nice signs with a general layout, par, and distance. A nice sign commemorating the people who helped get this awesome course installed. That was a nice touch, but I maybe would have put it behind a basket or near the first tee, rather than in the middle of the fairway. They did make mention of it on the 3rd tee sign so I am sure a lot of people end up looking at it.

6) Tight fairways and moderate elevation changes really create a nice challenge here. I am sure playing multiple times would make this decision making process much easier, but regardless there is some real thought that needs to come into play on many shots.

7) Although the baskets leave a little to be desired they do have number plates and they are pointed n the right direction to figure out which hole is which. SOme but not all are painted in a bright color.

8) Trees are of utmost importance on this course and the design is wonderful. They create all of the challenge especially when used in combination with the elevation changes on this course.

9) I never expected the river to be in play but it truly is. I happened to catch the last peninsula on #11, 3 feet short or 3 feet long and my disc was gone. I led to a bogey but I am ok with that. It's always nice to have some form of water on the course. It normally wouldn;t be much of an issue and I am sure I would never end up there again, but it was in play today and I love it. BTW it was flowing quickly.

10) Overall it is clear to me disc golfers helped install this. It is supremely designed and takes all the key features of this campus area into account. I love the use of elevation of going up and down the valley multiple times. I also think the design of the tighter wooded holes was very well done. All in all just a great design which really makes the course fun even if it was tough!
Cons: 1) Old homemade baskets leave a little to be desired, but I am sure vandalism would be huge on a college campus. Perhaps that is the reason many of the baskets are all bent up.

2) Danger comes into play on a few tee and basket locations. #6 basket, #7 tee and #15 tee are all pretty tightly placed on the property. An errant drive that hyzers out quickly on #6 could hit someone on either tee. It literally isn't more than 45' in between the three places in a triangle. That will lead to an issue down the road if it hasn't already. #16 tee also throws right over the top of #5 basket . . . and #17 tee throws right over #16 basket . . . .never a good idea. The other trouble area is located between #10 basket, 11 tee and 12 fairway. There are likely to be some injuries on these holes over the years because of errant shots on #10 or #12.

3) Erosion is a problem on multiple areas of the course especially just off teepads and around baskets. Fortunately the baskets all have a 3' diameter ring of concrete, so they will never get ripped out of the ground. There are many places where if you went off the end of the tee you might break and ankle.

4) Many of the concrete tees are not level, this creates an extar factor to consider when throwing as your body is in a way different position than it would be normally. Adjust accordingly or you will have some errant shots, and the teeshots are critically important here! Many of the tee pads are cracked and damaged on top of the sloping issues.
Other Thoughts: A local UWP student who works for me told me that the garbage cans are set up perfectly for beer drinking. I am not sure but I carry 16 discs and 2 putters, I couldnt carry as many beers as I think she is referring to. Regardless I thought it was an interesting anecdote because if I went to school here and lived in the dorms (right next to the course) I may not have graduated, I would have ended up a "carny", in the circus, or a QVC employee.

I still enjoy this one

2-4    9/24/2009   9/29/2009
Review By: tallpaul
Pros: This marks the fourth time I've been to the U.W. Platteville course over a span of 15 years. From my first visit, and including this last round here; I am pleasantly reminded that I find this course charming.
Use of elevation is one of this course's main assets.
New tee signs are informative and give the impression that things are on the upgrade mode here.
Cons: Overall length not quite up to modern standards.
Tees are concrete; but are quite old and crumbling in some cases. Also, there are quite a few that are slanted up or down hill. I personally, find this to be part of an interesting design; that used to be used much more often. However, modern players rarely see this design feature and do not like it when they do. There are some injury danger aspects to this style of tee pads.
Homemade buckets. A few spit outs amongst our group of five. I did not have any myself; and again, I find different style buckets to be charming. These hold very well IMOH for old homemade baskets; and I believe they require a little more touch when putting. However, for the modern player who drives every putt home with AUTHORITEE!; these will be considered to be a little weak.
Buckets have recently been repainted with silver paint; and visually look pretty good.
As with all school courses; you will have to play around students to some extent.
School had begun when we came this time. Parking was extremely full. Both of our vehicles parked in a lot which said by permit only; as all spaces on the road were completely used up. The good part is that we got no ticket. Bad part is that you hate to begin a round and play; thinking you may get one.
Other Thoughts: These days; there are tons of courses on school campus'. U.W. Platteville was a very early college campus course. For it's time; it was a wonderful course. By today's standards, it is a little "old school." However, I found this course to be very enjoyable and will stop in again when in the area. The new tee signs seem to indicate a new interest in upgrade. If they do some tee work; the overall course will be one more level improved. Without some modern redesign, this course will probably never earn more than a 3 rating, and this may be slightly generous. But, as I said, knowing the history, and compared to many of the campus courses I've played; I find this one both charming and challenging.

5+    8/16/2009   9/25/2009
Review By: Wavebird812
Pros: I love this coures its got everything. its got some long hole's some short one's aswell. Just an incredeble variety of shot's but the best thing about this course is the awsome elevation change almost every hole has some make's for a fun and challenging time
Cons: This course may have the worst baskets ever. thair old and rusty and your disc can fall out the bottom
Other Thoughts: Even tho the basket's suck This course is great. don't pass on playing it.