Tonawanda, NY
Ellicott Creek DGC Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #5 (Taken 7/2011)
Hole #5 White Tee

2-4    10/24/2014   11/6/2014
Review By: Timeetyo
Pros: - In a park with other great amenities. Bathrooms, rentable pavilions, and other park activities
- Beautiful tee signs with all the required info. Sadly a few were missing when I went through. :(
- A good first 18 course for a newer player. Reachable holes. Very little lost disc possibility (there are a few close to the water but they aren't thrown over and can be played safely for a beginner.
Cons: - Natural teepads with the usual wear & tear. Some were a bit muddy & slippery when I played.
- On the short side with all 3s with 11/18 under 300'. The shortest is 205' and the longest 390'.
- Although 2 tees are listed on DGCR and the tee signs (at the longs), I wasn't able to easily find the shorts. No point in having them if they aren't CLEARLY marked (see beaver island).
Other Thoughts: - The course is a very typical "in a park" course with almost everything being very flat and well mowed. There are mature trees throughout which are used as the primary obstacles.
- Given this - there are often many lines available from the tee and few forced shots. This could be a pro if it was on a few select holes - but here it seemed as a con as you can pretty much throw the same shot hole after hole and it gets boring. I'd rather have a course dictate specific lines to test me instead of allowing me to pick the same shot hole after hole. Given this and the short distance, I ended up using very little of my bag which is never a good sign.
- Hole #16 was really fun and stood out to me. I could see it being a negative for some though as it is a blind shot over a hill (and back down) with one of the few spots of nasty brush rough. I played it alone and was fortunate but I'd definitely recommend a spotter here. Given the height needed to clear the hill I could easily see some noob hyzers ending up real deep in the rough.

A note on the rating. I was very close to putting this one up to a 3 but I just couldn't do it looking at my other 3 courses which I feel are all better overall courses which I'd rather play. If there were a 2.75 option I'd have definitely picked that here. I will definitely say that the designer did a good job with what they had to work with but the limitations of the terrain, trees, and park are what hold the course back.

Shady Lady

2-4    6/30/2013   6/30/2013
Review By: Walnuts312
This review was updated on 7/19/2013
Pros: Shade, and lots of it. On a sunny day, you won't have to worry about sunburns if you're fair skinned.

Fairly fast course to play, as many of the shots are short, simple, and straight. The occasional tree is almost all that stands in your way (besides a few passerbys now and then).
Cons: Must beware of the lake on this one later hole (14?). Lost a disc by not compensating enough.

Dirt Tees. Concrete tees would make it awesome.

The tee on 18 can be particularly muddy or flooded depending on how recently it rained. We just moved farther up the trail to shoot from and all was well.

Course is almost too simple.
Other Thoughts: Not a bad course to play when you're looking to take it easy for a day, or bringing a few beginners along.

Casual Review

1    4/23/2013   4/24/2013
Review By: kpquinlivan
Pros: --Nice course layout throughout a very nice park
--Great course map and signs make it very easy to keep your bearings during a round
--Doesn't interfere with anyone else in the park as the course if off to secluded areas
--Was able to play all 18 in under 40minutes on my lunch break
Cons: --18th tee box was flooded
--everything being a par 3 is difficult for beginners like myself. Cant see how one hole can be 287 feet and a par 3 and another 400 feet and a par 3
--lots of geese in the area to avoid. They are not intimidated by anything, including oncoming traffic, they seem indifferent to the people there but I avoided them to be on the safe side
Other Thoughts: --I am sure this course just gets better as the summer dries up
--would love to see some of the longer holes i.e. 4, 13 and a couple others get bumped to a par 4 for those who haven't gotten down a long range shot.

Niagara Region's Newest

1    11/15/2010   11/15/2010
Review By: TheRicker
This review was updated on 6/6/2011
Pros: Beginner Friendly Course, easily accessible from 290. Good flow, easy to follow even though it is brand new. Holes vary in distance from 205-400 ft from the whites. Not much chance to lose plastic unless you screw up and throw into water, which should only happen on a pretty terrible shot. Several different lanes are available on most holes and should be pretty fair to all throwing styles. Not heavily forested, however there are plenty of trees to force players to shape shots and use different skills.Park is very clean and well maintained, several park shelters are located near the course with trash cans. Restrooms nearby. Brand-new discraft baskets.
Cons: Still Muddy at the beginning of June, looks like a muddy place for disc golf much of the year. Not too much variety in hole distance, most are shorter shots, I don't think any are par 4's. No real elevation changes, the only hole with any was 16 which from the white tee plays blind up a small hill and across a short fairway and back downhill. From the reds it's a short downhill shot to the basket.
Other Thoughts: Big ups to the NRDG league who fund raised and sponsored the purchase of the baskets and installed the course. They are really a great asset to disc golf in the region, and are doing great work to bring people to the county parks.