Tonawanda, NY
Ellicott Creek DGC Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #17 (Taken 7/2011)
Hole #17 White Tee

1 2 Next >
 Fun, New Course

1    6/24/2011   6/29/2011
Review By: lucasfnelson
Pros: I am a weekend warrior dg player, and I have been growing increasingly obsessed with the game. But I felt like the immediate areas around Buffalo lacked a decent course for people such as myself. Payne park is way too easy, and I hate having to pay $7 (plus $2 for the toll bridge) to play Beaver Island. Ellicott Creek park is a nice intermediary.

The holes are interesting: I never found myself feeling like I was playing the same hole over and over again. Despite the park being marshy because of some heavy rain, I still managed to get par on many holes. The white tees not only add the distance challenge, but on many holes they also change the line of the course, making it more interesting.

There are a few really memorable holes on the course, especially 16 and 18. The former requires to blind drives, one uphill and the other downhill, and I had a lot of fun--even though I totally needed a spotter.

Lastly, I think the course has a nice balance of open holes and some more heavily wooded holes, which forces you to use a variety of different throws.
Cons: Concrete tees would be nice. When I played the course, many of the tees were under water, so I had to search out a location dry enough to get a good drive from.

Many of the holes are under 300' even from the white tees, which I think is pretty short, even for a noob such as myself.
Other Thoughts: I don't think any of the other reviews mention this, but they have the signs up! This was great because when I played there was no one else on the course. The signs are a great help and they even tell you where the next tee is in relation to the hole.

This course is good for rec players and those who are looking to refine their game. There are definitely more challenging courses in the area, but Ellicott Creek offers some fun holes and is great place to hone in your skills (or to take some potential converts).

It is nice to know that there is a decent course that is close to Buffalo, and is fee free!

solid course for locals

2-4    4/23/2011   5/5/2011
Review By: cswilliams27
Pros: The Northtowns of WNY are definitely devoid of any acceptable courses unless you're willing to hop over to Grand Island to play Beaver Island, a course that may have become old hat for many players in the area. With this in mind, Ellicott Creek is a welcome addition to those in the area looking for a new course to play. Although the course is mostly flat ground (except for one up-and-down on hole 16), the layout established by local disc golf wizards Doug Opiela and Chad Adams still allows semi pro players some challenges from hole to hole.

The course makes great use of the few trees that are present, framing lanes for skilled players looking to make a play at baskets that still stand around 250-350 feet from the tee on average. Although the park is in a very busy area of Amherst/Tonawanda, the course itself is tucked into a back area that doesn't see too much foot traffic. I also enjoy the fact that a couple holes run along the creek, and although they don't present a serious threat of getting your disc wet, they still give some welcome variety and nice scenery to the course.

Many basket placements are tucked away in small groupings of trees, giving experienced players an opportunity to practice their approaches from both the left and right - a great course to work out some kinks before hitting the big courses. Make no mistake, despite the "par 3" branding, long arms will still have an opportunity to air it out and frame shots in between trees.

There is nothing wrong with a short course. If I play the course by myself, I can get through 18 in an hour, or sometimes less. Great course to squeeze in on a weekday between work and dinner. Rarely do you have to walk far to find the next tee, and the flow of the course is very natural. The new tee signs look GREAT, and once the map is up at the kiosk it will add a bit more flair as well.
Cons: If you're not a local and reading this review looking for the best courses to play in the area, make the extra drive to the Ridge, Emery Park, or even Como Lake instead. As nice as it is to have a new course, let's be honest, this course is what it is - a short, fairly uneventful, par 3 course. For a local like me who recently relocated from the Southtowns to the Northtowns, I am happy to have a new course to play on a random day I have a craving to throw plastic, but in no way is it a replacement for the challenges or variety that the Ridge or Emery provide.

The flat nature of the course has made it virtually impossible to play this season so far. Two weeks ago when I was there, the course was completely underwater. I drove by two days ago and it was still in bad shape. I'm not sure what the future will have in store since the course is so new, but it seems like a course that will be very tough to play the day after any sort of significant rainfall without waterproof boots.

The tee on 18 has been underwater every time I've went to play, and looks like it may never be playable.
Other Thoughts: Watch out for the Goose Army that likes to hang out around holes 12-13...those sky rodents can get nasty.

I realize the review above details both the highs and lows of this course, but I cannot express how thankful I am to the NRDG for putting this course in and providing me a place to play on a daily basis. I really look forward to this course drying out and having a place to stop on the way home from work to play every day.

2-4    11/20/2010   3/26/2011
Review By: I Wanna GO Discin'
Pros: From the beginner's standpoint I was/still am in love with this course. Each hole is something different requiring different skill shots or power shots. By my third time through, my game improved from 4 or 5 over par; to 1 over or even at par. It's big enough to accomodate alot of people wherever you start from and not having to wait to tee off
Cons: The downhill water shot is very touchy with me playing my hookshot. I think it would be nice to have a net over the rocks to catch runaway discs.
Other Thoughts: I'll be out here all summer long, hope to see you there :)

Great new course

1    11/14/2010   11/18/2010
Review By: Pyro419
Pros: Great new 18 in Noth tonawanda, very close to the 290 so not too long of a trip from most areas. Very nice, well groomed park, brand new Discraft baskets. beginner friendly and fun for all levels of players. Lots of ace and deuce opportunities out there,Good course to try alot of different throwing styles, because of the variety of throwing lane choices without much danger of disc loss. Very easily navigated, even with tee signs not yet installed.
Cons: Mostly all flat, little to no elevation change.
Other Thoughts: A awesome new addition to Niagara region Disc Golf

Niagara Region's Newest

1    11/15/2010   11/15/2010
Review By: TheRicker
This review was updated on 6/6/2011
Pros: Beginner Friendly Course, easily accessible from 290. Good flow, easy to follow even though it is brand new. Holes vary in distance from 205-400 ft from the whites. Not much chance to lose plastic unless you screw up and throw into water, which should only happen on a pretty terrible shot. Several different lanes are available on most holes and should be pretty fair to all throwing styles. Not heavily forested, however there are plenty of trees to force players to shape shots and use different skills.Park is very clean and well maintained, several park shelters are located near the course with trash cans. Restrooms nearby. Brand-new discraft baskets.
Cons: Still Muddy at the beginning of June, looks like a muddy place for disc golf much of the year. Not too much variety in hole distance, most are shorter shots, I don't think any are par 4's. No real elevation changes, the only hole with any was 16 which from the white tee plays blind up a small hill and across a short fairway and back downhill. From the reds it's a short downhill shot to the basket.
Other Thoughts: Big ups to the NRDG league who fund raised and sponsored the purchase of the baskets and installed the course. They are really a great asset to disc golf in the region, and are doing great work to bring people to the county parks.

1 2 Next >