Columbus, MS
Propst Park Share
Uploaded By: cmgustine Hole #11 (Taken 12/2011)

Worth the trip

1    5/31/2013   6/1/2013
Review By: WSP420
Pros: -Pretty, well kept park
-Maps/scorecards in the mailbox near Hole #1 tee, next to a large map and course rules
-Multiple tees
-Excellent use of elevation
-Nicely laid out and fairly well marked; together with the map on the scorecard navigation is a breeze
-Restrooms nearby (but not on course itself)
Cons: -Noisy - most of the holes are right next to the highway
-To few trash cans and benches (too many on Holes #1 & #16 *Picnic Areas*)
-Be prepared to wait on 'traffic* - pedestrian & vehicle
-Tee signs can be misleading
-Nothing marked as O.B.
Other Thoughts: I thoroughly enjoyed this course. Several long bomb holes and nice tight technical ones, too. You do need to watch out for park traffic; people walking, driving and even parking in areas that you really wish they wouldn't.
My friend and I drove 2+ hrs. to play here, well worth it.

2-4    5/15/2012   7/31/2012
Review By: jtblount2
Pros: New concrete tees, baskets, and course maps
Clean and well kept park
Pretty good variety of shots: short, long, over water, through mature trees
Aside from 7, there is almost no chance to lose a disc
Cons: When I played they were right in the middle of little league baseball, so needless to say there was a lot of traffic and a lot of people.
Also, some people will park right in the way on hole 7 when they are fishing in the river.
Other Thoughts: This is personally my favorite course in the Columbus/Starkville area. It is nice to not have to fight through the woods looking for an errant disc.
I would not go around 5:30 or 6 during late April or May because the back 9 pretty much weave through all the ball fields and some are too close to parking lots for comfort. It is playable but I would urge extreme caution.
Also, I love the long holes where I can just chunk a disc as far as I can.
Also, although there is only one technical water hazard, there is a ditch that comes into play on holes 12-14 that had a little bit of water. While it is unlikely there is a chance of losing a disc in there.

Great way to start your day

1    6/2/2012   6/4/2012
Review By: slowRoll
Pros: Clean tract in a beautiful city park. New tees and baskets that have very little wear on them felt like we were helping break the course in. The dual tees allow beginner and experienced players alike to challenge themselves. Good length and just enough trees to knock down errant shots without ever really feeling like we were in the woods. Hole 16 is a visual treat with the way the trees have grown in that area. It really was one of the more attractive holes I saw all day.
Cons: The bank alongside the creek on the single water hazard hole is severly overgrown and could lead to lost discs or worse, injured golfers as most of that hill is sand and you can't see where you are trying to step. The park roads come into play a little more than I would like and I would imagine that it might be difficult to play the course if there were several baseball/softball games going on. I wish they would have done more with hole 18. 1000+ holes are nice, but there didn't seem to be any real challenge with #18 other than just the distance itself. Sort of a letdown after having just played 2 great holes(16 and 17).
Other Thoughts: We started our northern MS course tour off by playing Propst Park from the long tees just after sunrise. We had the course to ourselves and really enjoyed the place. Everything felt new, and I was really pleased with how the course designer used the land that was available. Overall 3.5 stars for a Very Good course.

Propst park is the place to ace!

1    10/19/2011   10/20/2011
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Propst Park is a nice course with beautiful new disc golf amenities and is fairly challenging. The tee signs are good quality, and every hole had two concrete pads. Baskets are also in terrific shape. Fairways are mostly grassy, with mature trees concentrated around the first 11 holes. Many chances to make birdies and put some money in the bank early. Get 'em while you can. The second half of the course has fewer trees, and adds longer holes into the mix.
Cons: The course does have spots near roads and trails to watch out for. Waited for cars and bicyclists once or twice. I noticed some heavy litter in spots, maybe more trash cans could be useful. Writing on the tee signs was very tiny. Water is present in a few places (mainly number 7), so be careful. A network of trenches and drainage ditches wind through the course, not all of them had water when I visited.
Other Thoughts: I liked Propst Park and thought the course maximized the available space, despite a slightly choppy layout. It was a little plain in terms of landscape, not much elevation change or dense rough. If the pavement or ditches define OB territory, then there is a lot of it. Wind was very strong this day, making those par fours and fives that much harder. I did can an ace on number 12, thanks to a wicked air bounce. Not the finest DG course in the land, but overall, a fun course that you should check out if you are nearby.

Sweet

1    11/25/2010   12/10/2010
Review By: boxmark25
Pros: Brand new course. I really enjoyed this course and had a great time throwing. I played the white tees and they werevery challenging to me. I really liked hole #7 that runs along the Lux. It's pretty cool when the disc id flying over the water for more than half the time it is in the air. I had to strap on my long arm for 13 and 18. All in all i think this is a very cool course and very accessable.
Cons: No tee signs up yet but I heard thay have been ordered. Also the layout of the first three holes is a little strange but once you know were they are its no big deal. I would also like to see something other than old logs around #8 tee pads.
Other Thoughts: This course is in a great location and will get significant play. The parks and rec have done a great job with the course which leds me to believe that they will maintain the course well and make improvements as needed. If you haven't played this course its a must.

Propst Park

1    11/11/2010   11/16/2010
Review By: Amorybulldog
Pros: Distance, two sets of pads per hole, great design and use of park.
Cons: Signage(but it is on the way). Risk on hole 13 and 18. Streets come into play a good bit but only on really errant drives.
Other Thoughts: This is a great course and is soon to be one of NE Miss more popular ones. The distance and variety make it a course that you'll want to play over and over. I feel there is a certain amount of risk due to it being in a multi-use park but feel hole 13(during ball season) and hole 18 don't offer enough reward for the risk. Never got comfortable driving 18 due to vehicles on both sides of the fairway(one a rather busy hwy). Otherwise great course. Didn't play pros but they look equally as challenging for advanced level players and up.