Sandpoint, ID
Schweitzer Mountain Resort Share
Uploaded By: GMSdrum Hole #2 (Taken 7/2013)
4 / 370ft.   4 / --   4 / --   4 / -- Par / Distance:

nice but rough

1    7/26/2013   7/26/2013
Review By: Bdemko
Pros: free, beautiful location and killer views
Cons: rough walking with long grass, knapweed and devils club no real good chance to enjoy the view when moving. This course eats discs
Other Thoughts: I will admit to being new to the sport but my family had a rough go when we played yesterday. We played the bottom nine which follows the bunny slope of the ski hill. Grass at times was up to my hips and it was very easy to lose a disc. Dry creeks cross the fairways. For a while whenever we ended up searching we found someone else's disc so I know we were not the only ones having trouble. If you do not know how to recognize Devils Club please do yourself a favor and google it since there are a few locations where it is pretty thick. You just don't want to get into that stuff.

Not what expected but fun

1    9/3/2012   9/4/2012
Review By: Dadio
Pros: Having read about ski hill courses I was expecting a rougher course. I was pleasantly surprised to find good baskets, mowed fairways and long and short tees for most holes. The tees are dirt but fairly well marked and pretty smooth. 9 holes go around the lower village with a couple holes playing down then up one of the runs. The other 9 play around the top of the summit. Holes on top are shorter so it is possible to play reasonably even when windy, with alt tees for harder shots.
Lift takes you to top for $12 all day, there are refreshments on top and beautiful views of the North Idaho mountains.
Cons: While it was cool to have the 9 on top play around the flat, I really was looking forward to playing down the mountain. The tees, while in good shape, are smaller and lined with bigger rocks limiting run ups. Fairways were mowed and not bad but it doesn't take much of a mistake on some holes to end up in some very rough roughs. We were lucky and didn't lose any discs but found 2. Signs usually on the short tee but not always and lengths are off.
Other Thoughts: We talked to an enthusiastic employee and he told us the the redesign continues, and seeing what he has helped do at The Vandal in Sandpoint I have high hopes for the continued improvements. I really hope that after they get those done they will put another 9 holes in going down the mountain. Worth the trip.

Nice change of pace...it is what it is

2-4    7/22/2012   8/7/2012
Review By: MikeHuck
Pros: Change of pace, technical, killer views. Got to ride a chairlift to the first 9 ! Good layout/variety. Nice terrain. Lots of other stuff to do (there was a concert last time I played)
Cons: No plush tee boxes, but the dirt ones are fairly flat and compact. Some signs missing, but that's probably because of the recent re-design. Could use some more mowing/weeding, but it looks like in the update they did that.
Other Thoughts: Mixed reviews on this website, so I hope to clear that up. Very sweet course and a nice change of pace from what I usually play (farragut). If you're expecting plush tee boxes and a groomed course, this isn't for you. But, if you like challenging holes and a mix of terrain and elevations, this is worth a play. Also, I see that some other reviewers said "don't bother". Well, if you do that, the course will probably never be improved unless it gets played and Schweitzer recognizes that. That would mean one less course in the area. Boooo! I say go play it and the more it gets played, I think it will really improve. Lots of potential !!

it's better but..

1    7/22/2012   7/24/2012
Review By: Yoduh
Pros: Some interesting shots. Tight and teky. Very beautiful. Course could be AMAZING!
Cons: I can't figure out for the lif of me why there isn't a course from the top down? That would be amazing!!!! People would come from all over. The tee's are bad and hard to find. The course seems like it is an after thought by the staff. Really wish there was something great up there!
Other Thoughts: Hoping that the new course in town will grow the sport up there and cause the Mountain to see the light when it comes to developing their course.

Much improved, check it out!

5+    7/12/2012   7/19/2012
Review By: SandpointDiscGolf
Pros: Improved course layout for 2012. Additional tee boxes make it easier to play with family. Varied terrain. Split course: 9 holes on the summit and 9 in the village. Lots of other stuff to do while you're there...bring your bike.
Cons: Still working on signs, but relatively easy to find the holes without them. Keep an eye on your disc or you may lose it
Other Thoughts: The downhill holes from the village are really fun, but don't let the disc get too high!

1    8/13/2009   8/17/2009
Review By: The Hammer
Pros: Very tight lines holes, technically challenging, plenty of variety, two holes play under bridges, incredible views.
Cons: Very crude teeboxes, overgrown (I spent 20 min looking for a disc in the "fairway"), lift wasn't running for the front nine.
Other Thoughts: I played on a Thursday and the lift wasn't running so I was unable to play the front nine. The next day the lifts were on but I was mountain biking, not golfing. It is a beutiful place to play but it is obvious that DG isn't a priority for the management. The teeboxes are tough to find and aren't groomed at all. If you're in town it is definately worth playing.