Bartlett, TN
Calvary Chapel DGC Share
Uploaded By: josh.w.lewis Hole #18 (Taken 5/2013)
3 / 302ft.   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

1    3/17/2012   5/21/2012
Review By: bjreagh
Pros: 9 hole course on church property, but it is available and open to the public during non-church hours. This is mostly a woods course, but it opens and closes with a more open type hole. There is good use of elevation and a creek. I really liked the hole design- the holes were non-repetitive and challenging. There are not any long holes, but some of the fairways are pretty tight and make it seem much longer. It had a nice logical flow and began and ended at the parking lot. Tee signs were very well done- good info, color, a hole map, and even a handicap.

The members here are proud of this course and were busy making improvements on it the day I played and it is obvious there is constant work being done. They were really friendly and inviting when we parked the car and headed towards the first tee. I appreciated the fact that the church members that were working only talked disc golf to us, and did not try to preach to us or convert us, (even though it would be totally justified if they did).
Cons: The tees are not permanent concrete tees (although there may be plans for the future.) A couple holes were really muddy and had standing water, most likely due to heavy rains the days before.
Other Thoughts: For being a 9-hole course, this one is pretty good. The design is its strength. I only played 1 round, but this is a 9 hole course that could be played multiple times without getting boring.

local favorite

5+    5/1/2012   5/2/2012
Review By: Memphis Newbie
Pros: The layout and fairway design of this course are excellent. They have made very good use of the wooded land provided. The tee signs are clear and nice looking, but even without them, the course has such a natural, intuitive flow to it that you would never get lost. Course starts and ends near the church. Excellent variety of shots so there is no right or left handed advantage. There is fun and interesting elevation in the shots on several holes. The fairways are well defined and tight but fair (except the first and last holes, which are fairly open), providing a challenge that rewards good shots and punishes bad ones without being a tree plinko type course.
Cons: No holes are over 300 feet, but there is a possibility of adding long tees on the first and last holes perhaps. I wish there were more holes, but the available acreage has been ideally fit to the current 9. The baskets aren't high end, but they are durable and sufficient Lightning DB-5's. I can only remember one spit out and one blow through in the hundreds of holes I have played there.
Other Thoughts: This is my local course so I have played it many, many times and it still keeps me coming back. Though I love this course, I have tried to be objective in this review.The teepads are natural and I think they have been much improved since the first reviews were written. I'm not putting this in the cons because I prefer them to many of the concrete teepads in the area that are too small. There are no benches which I am also not putting in the cons because there is no need for them. I have never had to wait to play at Calvary. I waited until I had played over ten courses to review any of them, and I have to say that Calvary Chapel is one of my favorite. I prefer it to many of the highest rated courses in the area.

technical 9-hole

2-4    12/24/2011   12/27/2011
Review By: stanner
Pros: all woods 9 hole course. Only 1 and 9 are fairly open. Close to town, well laid out design.Many technical shots required off the tee and depending where your drive may land, more shot shaping is in your future.
Cons: No good long driving holes.

Great course on a lunch break

5+    2/20/2011   2/20/2011
Review By: sdervan
Pros: Close to town
can be played in 20 mins
great elevation in 5 of the nine holes
great course for practice of putter and mid-range usage. (that's all i use to throw it)
friendly pastor who welcomes people on the property
perfect for introducing people to the game.
Cons: very short
tee boxes are natural
Other Thoughts: when this course gets beat in a bit and better tee boxes are put in, i think this will be a great starter course for people.

P... for Potential

1    11/20/2010   11/23/2010
Review By: cmcolomb
This review was updated on 9/23/2011
Pros: This course utilizes the church's land very wisely. Great use of the landscape to incorporate elevation changes and the natural terrain of the area. Many technical shots required off the tee and depending where your drive may land, more shot shaping is in your future.
Cons: This is a brand new course and has plenty of room for growth and improvement, mainly - the tee pads. A lot of stumps and unlevel tee pads but we are organizing a work day on 12/4. Everyone I have met on the course is excited and ready to get down to work, put some elbow grease to it, and make this a quality course on a great piece of property.
Other Thoughts: Folks have mentioned the course layout is akin to Shelby Forest/Wall Doxey which are nearby courses. This is the best way to describe this course and the land it is on - shorter, technical (and thought provoking) shots with a good mix of open/wooded holes and changes in elevation.