Truckee, CA
Sierra College DGC Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #5 (Taken 11/2010)
Hole #5 Approach

Accuracy needed

1    10/1/2014   10/1/2014
Review By: DuBose
Pros: ~Map from DGCR was great.
~Logs marking trails to next t-pad very helpful.
~Signs with pars and distance.
~Very good rubber pads.
~Very quite. We played mid afternoon and did not see or hear anyone else. WOW!!
~Very easy to find course since it's AT the college. Map from this web site shows you first pad.
~Beautiful views from hole 12.
Cons: ~No trash cans.
~No benches.
~Road noise on some holes from I80.
None of these are a big deal to me.
Other Thoughts: If you count the course across the lake, there are almost too many choices for disc golf up here. All of the ones I've played so far are at least 3 1/2's. The locals have to be very spoiled. I'm looking forward to coming up to play this course again.

5+    8/24/2014   8/24/2014
Review By: pokrplayr
Pros: High quality of shots from the tee with a nice variety of left to right, right to left, up and down, short and long drives. As far as course designs go it's probably the best layout in Tahoe. Never very busy. Nice scenery and views (walk back from hole 12's tee box for a really nice vista point)
Cons: Pay to park. Possibly trouble finding the first tee (just up the hill behind the school building).
Other Thoughts: Course par is 58 (four par 4's) and it basically has only one layout. I appreciate this aspect because on such a challenging course you pretty much always want another shot at it.

Must play if in the area

2-4    8/7/2014   8/9/2014
Review By: gda659
Pros: Good mix of relatively easy holes, if you can avoid the trees, and more challenging holes.
Good signage.
Nice rubber tee pads.
Mach 3 baskets.
Nice view from 12th tee.
Interesting and varied terrain.
There appears to be ongoing work on the course, improving paths and cleaning up tree debris.
Only heard one other group playing.
Cons: A little hard to navigate the first time through, but there's good 4G signal and access to the course map at DGCR helped.
Terrain may be difficult for some to manage.
The gates are often locked (I rode a bike in from a nearby campground).
No dogs (can also be a plus).
Other Thoughts: If you like the Sierras and playing in varied terrain through lots of trees, this is a great course. Trash cans would be nice, but there may not be a maintenance crew, yet. Please, if you pack it in, pack it out.
The conditions were ideal when I played, cool and damp after a bit of rain. This is just one of the many great courses in the Tahoe area. It complements Truckee Regional DGC nicely, play both.

1st Round of 2014

1    1/1/2014   1/1/2014
Review By: preacherluke
Pros: Great course, many very difficult shots, excellent variety of looks. I liked the elevation changes. The signs were great, I could see the baskets from most of the tee pads, and it wasn't very hard to find the ones you couldn't see with a short walk.
Cons: There was snow on the ground and it made your disc skip way further than I intended, I found a place to park on the backside by the train tracks and it was a little bit of a walk to hole 15 where we started. In some places there were so many trees, I couldn't find a lane.
Other Thoughts: My son shot a better round than me on this course when we played, but his backhand style played better than my forehand flick style. Great views from 12 tee pad. I should have had 2 birdies, but missed 20 foot putts. The pads were icy and I slipped as I threw on 2 pads. I want to come back in the summer and try it again.

Sierra Solitude

5+    7/12/2013   7/16/2013
Review By: BIG O
Pros: NEW SIGNAGE!!! There's no steady traffic on this course. Just off I80 in Truckee. Not nearly as much sage and manzanita as other courses in the area. New DGA baskets. No dogs
Cons: No dogs! No Trash/Recycling out on the course. Lousy parking situation. Tough spot to rally a group of buds for a round. The par 4's are not.
Other Thoughts: My personal favorite between Truckee Regional, Tahoe Vista and Sierra College. This course is the least shabby but has the most aggravating trees of all. Very challenging until you become familiar with the lanes.

Huff! Puff! Sierra College Mountain Course!

1    8/17/2012   9/3/2012
Pros: The course sits behind the main building at Sierra College. I understand it's only there on an trial basis which is the reason for no concrete teepads yet. The course has brand new out of the box DGA baskets with the numbers on top. There are rubber mats which are well done. I started out fine following the course for the first few holes. I have to agree 100% with the previous reviewer "Lonhart" and his opening sentence. I too, found it hard to like this course but I do think it is very worthy.
When I got to the bottom of the hill and looked up at # 3 and it's probably 285'-300' uphill through a thick line of trees, I knew then this course was not for me. Then # 4 is probably 450' with a dogleg to the right through some tight openings. It wasn't a hole I wanted to throw playing by myself.

Then I found # 5 and it's a classic downhill (maybe 275") to a visible basket straight down in the trees below. Just a really great disc golf hole. Unfortunately, some of my excitement of playing this hole, was tempered slightly by finding piles of debris (old tarps and such) lying about down near the # 5 basket. This must be remnants of the homeless folks one reviewers referred to. From here on out for me, it was just kind of a constant struggle finding teepads, figuring out which basket I was throwing to, walking ahead to read numbers on the baskets.
#12 is a pretty cool spot for a teepad. It sits up in the rocks with a lovely view of the surrounds. Unfortunately, you're teeing off into a total abyss, throwing blind over a ledge with no knowledge of the distance or basket location. Without a spotter of two, I chose to pass on this hole. After giving up on the # 12 teeoff and walking off to hunt for # 13, I found the # 12 basket. It was just over the ledge, kind of a feathery touch shot. By then, I was in no mood to hike back up and tee it off. Too bad for me because it lokked like a great little throw.
And that's kind of how it went for the rest of my round. I would find a teepad and have not a clue whether the basket was north or south. I never did find the # 18 tee and I hunted for quite sometime.
Cons: There were no signs. I found navigation to be extremely difficult, frustrating and exhausting. The course is physically demanding to begin with and adding an extra hike before each tee off didn't help matters.
The course only seems to be open when school is in session. Are you welcome to walk in when the gate is closed? I didn't pay to park. Didn't know I was required to. But there is a Park To Park machine in front of the building.
Other Thoughts: I can see the merits of this course. The challenge is there, both physically and golf wise. Personally, I like my courses to be a little more user friendly, with benches, water, signs, less mountain goat like climbs, more friendly lines to the baskets. You, however, may be up for the challenge of this course. I say, Go for It!

Impure shots punished with extreme prejudice

2-4    7/6/2012   7/22/2012
Review By: Lonhart
Pros: In general, I found it hard to like this course, but I do think it is very worthy.
--Very challenging
--Mix of RHBH and forehand shots, but mostly throw it very straight
--Rubber tee pads, which I usually dislike, were very well done and sturdy
--In a few cases (#2, 4) there are at least two routes to attack the pin
--Flow is generally what you might intuit
--Played it twice, never saw another soul
--Very scenic, not trampled yet
Cons: The college was closed for the summer, I think, and the gate was closed and locked. Pay for parking signs everywhere now, and a machine to buy your parking permit is in the main parking lot.
--No tee signs
--Several holes with no view of the pin, and a few requiring extensive walk to see them, but once you know, it's not an issue
--No amenities on the course (benches, trash cans)
--Pay for parking when college is in session, I assume
--No 'Disc Golf' welcome board at hole 1, which is common to many courses
--No maps on site
--Holes 6 and 7 are not very good due to the insane number of trees, which requires pin-point accuracy. I don't mind that on short shots, or for part of the fairway, but doing it for 500+ feet is silly
--Footing is often awkward due to slope, but that adds to the challenge, I guess
--You sort of end near the start
Other Thoughts: I think this course would be better with a little tree trimming on some holes. I dislike the 'hope and poke' routine that is used on multiple holes. I was thoroughly disheartened on multiple holes when a slight nick of one tree sent my shot careening down the slope and into a nightmare of shrubs and trees. If you have absolute control, this is not an issue, but for me it detracted from the fun of the course.

When you get to the course, the first parking lot on your right is nearest hole 1, which is just behind the main building at the edge of the forest.

ass clenching fun

1    5/19/2012   5/21/2012
Review By: Peterb
Pros: - some phenomenal shots
- 3 par 4s
- wooded
- elevation changes
- accessible (being at 80 and 89 basically)
- excellent, fair design that made the best use of the available land
- challenging for even top pros, but with some great birdie holes.
- nice balance of right and left turning holes
- some nice views
- an active club that seems psyched to take this course to the next level of maintenance
Cons: - a little highway noise since I-80 is very close
- lack of water in play
Other Thoughts: Wow, what a nice surprise! A par 57-58 course right in truckee! This course will bring the best or worst out of you, often in the same round because of the mix of trees and elevation changes. You have to be on to hit your line. I happened to play it ok the first time, getting 3s on two of the three par 4s. There are epic ace runs here too, and butt clenching windows you have to hit to be competitive. I can only see this course getting rated higher as amenities like signage go into the ground. It should have a nice player base being in Truckee with the accessibility from the bay area, sacramento, auburn, and reno. Get out and play this thing! I happened to like it better than vista and would rate it close to Zephyr (Zephyr has better views, but it doesn't have three par 4s!). Turtle Rock is still the king of Tahoe courses, but Sierra College is far easier to get to for most people!

Another Great!

2-4    4/20/2012   5/16/2012
Review By: rbnorris32
Pros: This course beautifully winds through a hilly and woodsy environ. A lot of challenging shots that requires accuracy. A good mix of finesse shots and power shots. Well designed!
Cons: Signage....blah blah blah.... It's not too difficult to figure out.
Other Thoughts: I would actually give this more like a 3.75. It is a great course, but lacks the epic views that some of the other courses in the area have. Of the Tahoe area courses I have played I would rank this course up there in a tie with Zepher as No. 2. The order would be Turtle Rock, Zephyr/Sierra, and closely behind Tahoe Vista, followed by Bijou, and well behind Truckee. I have not played Squaw so I can not speak on it's behalf.

Nice

1    8/30/2011   8/30/2011
Review By: Joe_Maumy
Pros: 18 holes-uncrowded-many different shots-great tee pads-another 18 hole course!
Cons: no signage-no trash cans-no nothing.
Other Thoughts: pretty heavy on trees but thats not really a con for me but it may be for some. A couple holes cross and its a bit hard to figure out without signs, even temp signs would help, rumor is the college is now enforcing pay park but they dont have any signs as of this writing that indicate you have to pay so its easy to fight this one if you get nailed. Will play again and you should too