Southern Pines, NC
Reservoir Park Share
Uploaded By: chainmonkey Hole #18 (Taken 6/2012)

Quick, fun play

1    10/30/2013   10/31/2013
Review By: reposado
Pros: Solid course traverses a landscape dotted with southern pines, just north of, well, Southern Pines. In that tradition of appropriate names, Reservoir Park is located on the edge of a reservoir.

It's quite scenic throughout, with the water always just over the edge of the next hill. While this beauty attracted a wealth of walkers and joggers, the path they use never interferes with the course.

It's not a destination course, but it's a great local course and a good travel stop, not too far from major roads. I can see new players learning the ropes at Reservoir, as it can be quite forgiving. The road warriors will appreciate how quickly they can play a round as the walk is minimal and the navigation between holes is very intuitive.

The aforementioned pines should provide a solid amount of challenge to new players and do give the holes a sort of variety. I can easily say that no two holes are similar here, even if they are all sort-of similar.
Cons: There isn't a ton of distance, and there isn't much variation in hole lengths; at least two-thirds of the holes are between 220 and 290 feet.

There won't be any challenge to more experienced players. I had a blast during my round, but better players than I may be disappointed.

There aren't many memorable holes. I liked the blind, sharply right-turning hole(14?) but other than there wasn't too much that stands out.

While I don't mind them, I should note that the tees are simply-marked on the natural ground. I found them to be flat and workable but cement seekers should be warned.

While the signs are really nice looking, they don't offer too much information. There's the hole and distance, but no route to the hole. This isn't often a problem, but a few of the holes don't have clearly defined fairways, and on at least one hole, multiple pins are visible. (I threw a really nice upshot on hole ten, only to find my Anode sitting under basket twelve.
Other Thoughts: I'd definitely return to Reservoir next time I'm traveling 15/501. It's not a course I'd travel too, but it's definitely one that I would stop at.

Simple course. Idyllic Setting

1    12/5/2012   12/5/2012
Review By: pfpro
Pros: - can't say enough for the setting. Beautiful, peaceful. It was busy in the parking lot, but the course is in an area by itself.
- this is a great course for a beginner, and,to really hone your skills (if you didn't use this as your primary course - more on this later).
- good course flow, you can pretty much see every basket from the tee and the next teepad from the basket.
- there are several benches (seemed like every other hole or so).
Cons: - no tee pads, just sand (you are in the Sandhills) and market flags. Not a problem for most holes, but the pads were rutted on some holes. I wasn't paying close attention, but it seemed like this was on the longer, open holes where people were taking run-ups and really working their lower body.
- the course was short. There is so much room there. It feels shorter then it is. I understand that there are walking paths, but it feels sort of cramped.
- I wish the signs were better (include a picture/map of the hole). As noted, some of the distances seem like they were off. Don't know if it s a true distance, or if it how something plays including the uphill or downhill elevation change.
Other Thoughts: - if it weren't so pretty and calm, I would have given a 2.5. I will bump 1/2 point for the setting. I wish that the layout incorporated the reservoir. There are some peninsulas that would have yielded some sweet water shots. I think once you learned the arm slots it would become repetitive and (relatively) easy. If you played here once in a while, I think the upside is that you can see the lines and they are not super difficult to hit. Its a challenge to execute, but not impossible. It's wooded, but not overly punishing (lots of low branches or thick scrub). I'm not in the area often, but will try to play when I'm in town. I would compare this to Kentwood (sans the "urban" feel) in the Triangle.

Love the layout/needs some work

5+    10/16/2011   4/4/2011
Review By: BraveThrower43
This review was updated on 2/7/2012
Pros: This course is a solid course for an area where there are very few other courses. It's not very long so beginers can feel a certain amount of sucess and it has a reasonable amount of difficulty for higher level players to work on there skills

Course flows real well. all tees are within a very short walking distance from the last hole

Love the Design!
Cons: Tee boxes are VERY worn and rutted out. i found myself worrying about triping multiple times(Since I have been back they have been refilled and leveled. However it could just be a matter of time before it happens again)

There are no tee signs that show where the hole is. this gets confusing for new players cause there are often multiple baskets within a short distance of the tee.

FYI #9 is NOT the basket on the right out in the open you can see from the tee. It's tucked in the trees on the left
Other Thoughts: This course is still improving. I talked to a few locals who said that they are trying to get concrete tees and start having more tournaments. If they made a few small improvements, such as tees signs and better tee boxes, i would easily give this course a 4.