Southern Pines, NC
Reservoir Park Share
Uploaded By: chainmonkey Hole #12 (Taken 6/2012)

1 2 Next >
 Nice Learner Course

5+    11/19/2011   11/19/2011
Review By: pkbeast
This review was updated on 1/20/2012
Pros: Awesome little course! Tightly woven in Pinehurst fashion. This course has a great mixture of long and short holes with a good bit of interesting lines to be taken. #1 is a nice dogleg to the left. #2 is a long shot with some nice line to the left or right or center if you have the shot. #3 is the Flow hole- nice gentle turn to the left with a barrier of protective trees. #4 is up hill to the right, good drive here or you may be in trouble, fairly thick brush for any hole on this course. #5 is the ace hole gentle slop to the left down hill. #6 is a power shot up hill at the basket, nice lanes. #7 is nother down to the left floater ace hole. # 8 is back up the hill straight shot. #9 is STRAIGHT FROM THE TEES. not off to the right, that is 11. #10 is a ace hole straight shot 180ft with a nice ridgeline to block some view of the underbasket area. #11 is dog leg to the basket u wanted to throw at for 9. #12 is a huge hole dog leg left and way down there, good elevation variances. #13 is a straight shot with some nice tree squeezes but fairly open. #14 is a hard dogleg right THERE IS A MANDO HERE. you HAVE to go to the LEFT of the first tree in front of the tee box. #15 is a ace hole straight shot with some nice tree cover. And then the last three holes that are just awesomely killer always bump my score up by at least 2 on there holes. #16 is a hella guarded semi straight shot with a BUNCH of tree protection, DO NOT go left side on this hole there are about 5 million small pines youll have to navigate out of. #17 was brutal in the spring but birdieable in the fall. straight witha little turn left to the goal, HARD GREEN it will roll away make sure your approach will stick or your going to have a 25footer. #18 is HARD dogleg left.
Cons: One set of t-boxes. Tee's aren't boxed in or grated. general maintenance could be better. trashcans ect. We at MCDG are working now to get it ready for monthlies so keep an eye out!
Other Thoughts: This is my home course, so I love it. but I wish it would grow a little faster than it is! :)

Ill take new picture this weekend and update them. this course is maturing nicely and I want it to show here.

2-4    8/1/2011   8/1/2011
Review By: ABFutrell
Pros: One of the best short course I've played. Large variety of drives are useful for this course. I throw backhand 99% of the time, but I do use a forehand on hole 4. There are a variety of backhand throws utilized here: hyzer, anhyzer, hyzer flip, and even a hyzer skip (hole 5). Many holes have a variety of routes (straight/low, spike hyzer). As a whole this course is great for working on a variety of shots for intermediate to pro. This course is also good for beginners first starting out.
Cons: Even though this course has natural tee pads they are much better than other I've played with natural pads. Concrete is nice, but I do like running in the sand.
A few holes are a little close at times (9 and 11, 12 and 13), but in all the course is laid out well. Good use of elevation etc.
Other Thoughts: I gave this course a 4 since I feel I can choose different shots on several holes each time I play.

solid short course

1    5/30/2011   6/1/2011
Review By: jksenior
Pros: Good, fair layout for lefties and righties
Good walking, tees relatively close to previous holes.
Nice sprinkling of longer holes (300+) amid a relatively short, tight course.
Very nice park in a nice area.
Very nice park around around a lake
Cons: Obviously the dirt tees are the biggest con
Also, the tee signs were somewhat in the way forcing to throw in front of them often
Pedestrian paths were fairly close,close enough to stop and wait on occasion
Other Thoughts: Let me state that without concrete pads, this course was starting out at a maximum of 4 stars. Given that, this was a very fun course to play in a great park. It generally short, but there are a few opportunities to air out a driver.

Great course

5+    5/7/2011   5/8/2011
Review By: climbingkid
This review was updated on 10/7/2012
Pros: Very well established course
main course for practicing/playing tournaments
great course to introduce my friends to the sports
Cons: some of the teepads are difficult to drive off of
only one sign with layout of the hole (1)
Other Thoughts: Ive been playing for about two years now and i have to say this course never gets old. I'd play more at wildpine but that course is a lot longer and tougher on the edges of the fairways. this course is great for someone of my skill level.

Love the layout/needs some work

5+    10/16/2011   4/4/2011
Review By: BraveThrower43
This review was updated on 2/7/2012
Pros: This course is a solid course for an area where there are very few other courses. It's not very long so beginers can feel a certain amount of sucess and it has a reasonable amount of difficulty for higher level players to work on there skills

Course flows real well. all tees are within a very short walking distance from the last hole

Love the Design!
Cons: Tee boxes are VERY worn and rutted out. i found myself worrying about triping multiple times(Since I have been back they have been refilled and leveled. However it could just be a matter of time before it happens again)

There are no tee signs that show where the hole is. this gets confusing for new players cause there are often multiple baskets within a short distance of the tee.

FYI #9 is NOT the basket on the right out in the open you can see from the tee. It's tucked in the trees on the left
Other Thoughts: This course is still improving. I talked to a few locals who said that they are trying to get concrete tees and start having more tournaments. If they made a few small improvements, such as tees signs and better tee boxes, i would easily give this course a 4.

A gem in the making.

2-4    1/8/2011   1/10/2011
Review By: Mystery
Pros: I really like this course. It has a variety of shots and can be utilized by all levels of players. This is the type of course that someone could learn to play the game on and an advanced player could easily hone their skills here.
The addition of tee signs makes it easy to navigate, and the course flows very nicely together. There is a massive shelter between the green of 18 and the tee of 1. This could serve as a great tournament central as players moved from 18 to 1.
The design uses the elevation of the land as an advantage. Players will need to adjust tight hyzer or anhyzer lines off of the tee to take into account the descent or ascent of the land around the basket. Many of the baskets are guarded by smaller trees that allow shots to make it to the basket but leave players with some tricky putts.
Here are a few of my favorite holes:
On the second hole players are asked to stretch their arms on the second longest hole. As you come from the tee there is room for S shots to approach right to left or in the opposite direction. The basket is nestled in behind a small grove of trees. After moving past the obstacles, the green is clear for a solid putt.
Hole 6 is a simple 245 ft hole that is my favorite on the course. The basket is located about 20 ft above the tee box with a diagonal line of pines cutting between the two. There are multiple lines that your disc can take to the hole, but one misstep and you have a tough angle on the approach. This could be an easy two, disappointing par, or a misfortunate bogey depending on the execution of the tee shot.
Hole 14 is a anhyzer for the RHBH thrower. I learned from the locals that the orange ribbon on the closest tree to tee on right is a mandatory. It has a tight fairway up until the bend towards the right. As you walk down the lane you see that the left and right are populated with tiny trees that have yet to grow to mighty pines. This hole will be extremely tough in about 10 years provided it is not clearcut.
Cons: Before I begin with cons, understand that this course has been in the ground less than two months prior to my playing it. New courses go through a tremendous amount of evolution during the first year of existence. Many of my comments may become irrelevant in the coming days and I really like this course.
While I have nothing against natural tees, the ground is sandy and these tees will need some substrate to become compacted. If left alone, I think that they will detract from the course eventually. I don't know what the plan is, but from what I gathered, they may not be upgraded for sometime.
The course has very nice signs, but they lack maps. While I don't think that maps are necessary for a course. Let's face it, after you play a course once you know what to expect. Having said that, there were times when multiple baskets were visible from the tee. Granted it only took about 100 feet of recon to discover the truth, this could be distracting and eliminated with maps. I see this as a future upgrade if needed at all.
There were a few places where the holes could have been stretched out a little more. Hole 10 is one that I felt could have been placed farther back, but I learned that the course design was changed by the City due to proximity to the walking paths. This is not a fault of the designers but more of a case where people that are unfamiliar with the game affect the appeal of a course.
I hate to even place this here, but I am concerned about how the course will play in the summer. The area is routinely burned to control underbrush. I don't know if this will be a con or how much of an impact it may have in the future. I only mention it so that others can attest to the condition in the future.
Other Thoughts: This is a brand new course with a few locals trying to build a solid disc golf community. We happened to meet some and spent the day playing and discussing the course. I really feel that after they have completed the work and the course has gotten some play that this will be a real gem in an area that is in need of disc golf. As this course grows, I know the ratings will. It is unfair to review this early, but I want to let people know what a gem they have in this course. I will be back and offer my help to anyone that is involved with this course.

Great Course!

2-4    12/12/2010   12/14/2010
Review By: rex93
Pros: -Great way to work on technical shots and hone accuracy your mid range will shine if you practice on this puppy.
- An array of different shots is need because of the elevation changes even mix of uphill, flat and downhill shots.
- Beautiful view of a lake surrounding the course as you come into the back 9.
- Soft ground and clear tee pads. No rocks or roots on the tees.
- Nice professional Signs in place
Cons: - Next tee arrows not present
- Tee pads need a little work just being flattened out and possibly boxed
- some cleanup in the canopy of a few holes is required.
Other Thoughts: All around great course that is going to help you with the two most important elements in your game Mid range and putting. Anyone can pull off a nice drive but if you miss your drive thats when Mid range will make or break you. I used to get boned with double bogeys now my Mid is dialed and I can usally pull out a Par with ease saving my score in a tourney. When the weather is nice this course is quite breathtaking in certain spots.

A welcome new course

1    11/23/2010   11/23/2010
Review By: turkey33
Pros: Location - Reservoir park is a nice place. I've been here before and thought it would be a good place for a course as they slowly spring up around here.
-Great course for short game and technical throw practice. Tight fairways and plenty of trees for obstacles.
-Elevation changes. The course plays mostly up and down some small hills above the reservoir. It's fun and rewarding to pick your alley and watch your disc glide down or challenge your accuracy when you have to rip it harder uphill.
Cons: I don't want to criticize a brand new course because I'm sure more changes are planned soon so suggestions for improvement are:
- needs signs, at least markers to indicate where the next tee boxes are.
- needs something for the tee boxes but I'm sure that's coming. Right now they're just loose sand and pinestraw.
- needs some trees and low branches removed from some of the fairways to give players more reasonable shots off the tee.
- players who like to rip it will be disappointed unless you're incredibly accurate getting it through trees
Other Thoughts: Until signs are posted find someone that knows the course already. I got lucky and ran into a guy who played it a few times so he could show me around. Otherwise it would have taken me a lot longer to find the tees and baskets.

1 2 Next >