Georgetown, IN
Seviren Lang DGC Share
Uploaded By: AdamE Hole #6 (Taken 3/2014)

Really, one of the best.

1    6/5/2013   6/6/2013
Review By: jobwilson
Pros: First off, I'm going to talk about the aesthetics.
+Maybe this was just because of a fresh cut, but the course looked amazing. The grass was just mowed, trees were trimmed, rough was trimmed back.
+Bridges have been put in key locations. When I got into the woods, the fairways were very clean, free of debris.
+The tee signs are amazing. Adam Embrey is the course co-designer and also did the graphics. They really look phenomenal. They show a very accurate representation of the hole layout as well as distances, pars, etc.
+Speaking of the tee signs, I noticed that many (if not all, I wasn't planning on reviewing the course so I was not paying attention to every detail) had buckets for trash attached to the pole. It's a subtle touch that can really go a long way.
+DGA Mach V's. Great baskets. Enough said.
+Course has concrete tee pads for all the long pads and rubber mats for the shorter, alternate pads.
+I saw water fountains, but I did not use them. I am assuming they work since they appeared to be clean and in good shape.
+There is a nice course information sign as you come into the park (this will also be addressed in the cons, but a negligible con).
+Red signs point you to the next hole. Navigation on this course is so easy already, these just make it that much better.

Okay, now the layout.
+As I stated earlier, the course has everything. As far as championship caliber courses go, this is as good as it gets. It's a very challenging course that is also very fun. I'd say outside of Flyboy, this is the most fun I have had on a championship course. I'm not going to get into the specifics of each hole, but believe me, it has everything. Seviren Lang will really test a player's complete skill set.
Here are a few holes that really stand out to me:
+Hole 2 is a short par 4 in the woods that doglegs right after about 200'. If you get to the dogleg, a well placed touch shot will put you in position for a birdie 3. The basket is well guarded by guardian trees, so finesse and accuracy are crucial.
+Hole 6 is a 1011' par 5. The hole plays along a right-to-left downward slope the entire length. At the bottom of the hill is heavy rough and out of bounds. A well placed set of trees at the 800' point puts an emphasis on late accuracy.
+Hole 9 is a tough par 3. You tee off at the top of a hill through a tight tunnel. At the bottom of the hill, the fairway takes a 45 degree turn to the right with the basket being in the tree line with an OB creek behind.
+Hole 12 is a 300+ TIGHT downhill tunnel shot with the basket placed across a ditch at the bottom. Guardian trees near the basket and OB all over the place make this hole a very tough 2.
+Hole 16 is a par 4 that requires accuracy and placement if you want to score well. A tight right side forces you to work hard to place a shot that you want to finish in the middle right. If you pull off a great drive, your upshot will want to split an opening in a line of cedar trees. You hit that gap, and you have a chance at a birdie 3.
Cons: No course is perfect, so here are a few cons.
-The flow in a few spots is a little weird.
-To get to hole 1's tee area, you have to cross the fairway of hole 18.
-After you finish hole 8, you have to double back between holes 6 & 7 to get to hole 9's tee pad.
-On hole 11, you have to double back across the fairway to get to hole 12.
-Another small con was the fact that the course information sign is located between holes 9 & 10. The numbers have been changed since the course was originally designed, what is now hole 10 used to be hole 1. It's really not a big deal; just a little weird.

I guess there aren't benches everywhere? Not a big deal, but it may be to some people.
Other Thoughts: That's my review of Seviren Lang. This course is awesome. If you are remotely in the area, make a point to play it.

I played this course on 6/5/2013. I had played it before they changed the hole numbers. I'm not sure why I hadn't realized how great of a course this was before.

I definitely put it in the top 10% of courses I have played, maybe in the top 5. It has everything. Ace Runs, a 1000' par 5, tight woods, long open shots, hyzers, anhyzers, great placement holes.

On a side note, I was playing well until I got to hole 10. After that, my feelings were really hurt.

Great job Adam & Martin for designing such a stellar course.

I'm Lovin It

5+    2/8/2013   3/22/2013
Review By: Will Burke
Pros: Nice park with a great course.
Tons of fun with the forced line shaping and challenge added to this course.
Cons: Almost a great course just seems like a few too many filler holes.
Other Thoughts: Really enjoy playing this course and the challenges such as distance and placement golf that the design forces out of you.

A Southern Indiana GEM!!

1    2/15/2013   2/15/2013
Review By: E-RocBass
Pros: First of all, let me apologize, as this is my first review. That being said, this course was the first I felt worthy of breaking the ice for me.
>First pro was the perfect mixture of holes. Shorts, longs, open, wooded, rights, lefts, straights etc.
>course is very beginner friendly, yet is very technical.
>good shots are rewarded, yet poor shots are able to be recovered from.
>works every aspect of your game.
> great signage, with arrows to the following tee pad.
>easily accessible from the highway
Cons: >tee sign missing on hole 4
> tee sign reversed/ incorrect on hole that plays up nearest the houses. shows road on left, road is on right shows hole to right hole is to left etc.
> tee pads short on some holes
>one bridge was unstable and planks space out too far
Other Thoughts: I met Adam ( course designer) at our local course in Evansville. He talked to my buddy and I for a while before asking us if we had played this course. Great guy, very friendly, and he designed one heck of a course!

Must Play!

1    10/7/2012   10/7/2012
Review By: DrewMillerRH
Pros: Well marked, good use of elevation, great mix of shots, swing on almost every hole, plenty of deuce ops but some challenging holes as well. Weaves in and out of the open. Teepads are adquate, signage is good, DGA baskets with the blades, well maintained fairways, challenging but fair.
Cons: That it's not in my backyard.
Other Thoughts: Will visit here many more times, really enjoyed this course, very fun to play, I'll be keeping an eye out for a tournament here.

By far BEST course in Louisville area

5+    7/1/2012   7/12/2012
Review By: Atvizory2000
This review was updated on 4/12/2016
Pros: This course is awesome! The upkeep on the course is the best ive seen in the Louisville area. The grass is always cut. Rarely, if ever, see trash on this course.

Playing here allows you to use about every shot in your bag. From tight wooded holes to the grip it and rip it long holes, this course has all. I really enjoy courses that have par 4's and 5's and the ones here, in my opinion, would be the signature holes of the course.

This course seems to never be packed. Even on a weekend you rarely have to wait for groups ahead of you. Which seems strange since other courses in Louisville are jammed packed on the weekends and nearly not as impressive.
Cons: There arent many drastic elevation changes, but get the best out of the land.

No major water features on this course. A few creeks come into play but are mostly dried up or standing water.

The rough here is ROUGH. Wild blackberry bushes are everywhere and your legs will get tore up by thorns.

Other Thoughts: Dont like having to walk through #18 to get to #1, but the course does play better with the new layout.
Its a great course you have to play if your in the Louisville area.

Seviren is a beauty just across the river from Louisville

5+    6/28/2012   6/28/2012
Review By: martinyoung
Pros: Seviren Lang is a product of multiple revisions, tinkering, and love.

The New Albany/Floyd County parks department has done a fantastic job helping with upkeep around the park and every week when the course gets mowed it rivals the best looking courses anywhere in the country.

The course offers a great shot selection, big open holes, narrow fairways, elevation changes, placement shots, tricky pin placements, and more.

This course is the largest course in the greater Louisville area. One par 5, and five par 4s, and as for the rest of the coures there are no gimme 3's.

Now that the majority of the course layout is set, the course is going through numerous improvements and added amenities. The addition of benches for nearly every hole, landscaping and improved basket placements, erosion control efforts, and improved signage are all ongoing projects.

If you want to work on any aspect of your game this course offers holes for you to do just that. Big bombs, finesse distance, rollers - you got it. Flippy hyzer midranges, touch flicks, overhand shots, its there. Need to just focus on putting uphill, downhill, wind - you will find that this course offers challenges hole after hole.
Cons: Im biased. Adam and I designed and dreamed up this place. We wanted to provide a proving ground for disc golfers, that offered players aspects of the game no other local course could.

I love Seviren. I spend far too much time thinking about what can be done out there next. I am always open to suggestions - let me know - what you love, what you hate.
Other Thoughts: Seviren Lang will be one of the primary courses used for the US Masters this year. I welcome all of you Master players to Southern Indiana and Louisville. I am psyched for the chance to have players from all over the country come and take on this gem of a course.

Amazingly good

5+    5/21/2012   5/21/2012
Review By: SMcVicker91
Pros: Lots of variety here. You'll have to maneuver through tight woods, rip across huge open fairways, and everything in between.

The park itself is very nice and well kept. It flows together very well, so navigating the course is easy except for one instance (more on that later).

The path to the first few holes are neatly lined with logs and sticks, really cool.

Every tee has a sign w/ distance/par/map of hole. Every hole has nice concrete pads.

There are bathrooms and ample parking.

Many memorable holes here. Hole 6 stands out as it's a 1011ft bombfest. There are some potentially annoying trees as you get close to the basket.

11 is a nice long throw over a bridge into a wide open field, though placement is very important for the second shot as the basket lies further down a wooded path.

14 has a dangerous basket placement on a hill. Hit the cage many times only to see it roll away another 20+ ft.

18 is a worthy final hole with the street along the right side of the fairway and dense woods to the left. It then doglegs sharp to the left and the basket is surrounded by woods.
Cons: Transition between Hole 6 and 7 is confusing. Hole 9 is to the left (which is where I instinctively headed), and Hole 7 is further to the right. First time playing I went straight to hole 9, it didn't occur to me that it might not be the right hole. If I had realized it before I threw, it would have been easy to find 7.

And really that's the only thing I can think of. Not a big deal.
Other Thoughts: Like with most courses if you misthrow bad it can be the end of your disc. Some parts in the woods are practically unnavigable, but only on really bad screwups for the most part.

This course delivers!

1    3/31/2012   4/1/2012
Review By: MacDaddy
This review was updated on 4/3/2012
Pros: Nice and easy to get to off of I-64 with basic driving skills, you don't have to be Magellan to find this course. Adequate parking with good restrooms. Nice sign board with course map (wish the map was bigger) and plenty of info. New DGA Mach V baskets.

This course is a nice variety of open/semi-open holes with good terrain change, and other more tightly wooded holes, again with plenty of terrain change. Good mix of shots, with some nicely defined fairways and alternate routes to the pin. Good use of landing areas and tricky greens. Good shots are rewarded with better options for future shots and bad shots are punished with poor options for recovery. Certainly a good design to challenge pro and advanced players.

Nice concrete pro tees, no problems with the footing here. Smaller rubber matts for the am tees. Good signs with complete information and graphics including next tee info. There are lots of "next tee" signs out on the course which helps with navigation. Trash cans and water are avaialble on the course, and some holes have benches. It is obvious that tons of work has gone into this course, it is new and should only get better.
Cons: Not too many really. Because of some of the clearing in the woods, there are lots of short stumps around to nail a wayward toe. But, many of them have been painted.

The tee signs are located at the front of the tees. It's a pet peeve of mine that signs be located at the back of the tees to help give the clearest area of opertions to the player when teeing off. This may or may not bother other players.

To help make this course more friendly to the intermediate level player (newbies will not like it at all) the alt tee pads need to be marked with signs. We played on a beautiful Saturday afternoon and literally had the course to ourselves! There should have been some other players out there. This course, IMHO does need a little work to make it friendlier for am and intermediate players.
Other Thoughts: This course has some serious terrain change and some serious holes. Well designed for pro and advanced level players. It is a solid 4.0 for course topography and design. Still, it is a little rough around the edges and needs some polishing to get into the 4.5+ range. Which I think it can. It will be interesting to watch this course age.

If you are going up or down I-65, stop in for a round. If you are looking for day trip, it's a good match with a second round at nearby Charlie Vettiner in Louisville.

Seviren Heaven

1    1/23/2012   1/24/2012
Pros: 1) Tee signs have all the necessary information.

2) Big grippy concrete tees are always appreciated. I never felt uneasy planting to throw my drive. Short tees are rubber mats which is a good solution until/if concrete can be installed.

3) Good Mach baskets in good shape

4) OB was used effectively in a few spots to force certain shots or at least punish bad shots.

5) Lots of par 4's on this course which I am a fan of. This sport should be pushed with Par 4's and 5's and not all just the wide open distance. I think longer wooded holes are a valuable hole in course design.

6) 1000' hole gave me a chance to throw a couple rollers. I got one out there 395' which I think is my longest roller ever. While 1000' holes are somewhat boring, throwing the rollers made it bearable. The rolling hills you play down on this hole also made it more fun to throw.

7) Excellent use of the elevation changes on the course. The somewhat open holes also use the pockets of woods and underbrush effectively to force you into the fairways.

8) Next tee arrows help to guide you through the course in a few spots, always a welcome site for a travelling disc golfer, but I did even better, I played with one of the designers.

9) The tight wooded holes are challenging to say the least. A bad kick can really hurt you on a few of the holes.

10) A couple really unique holes out here, I can always appreciate holes that I haven't really seen before.

11) They used the viney overgrown areas well to shape fairways and punish poor throws. This is something I don't see much of in WI. The difference between here and WI is we have Buckthorn and it is super punishing, while the vines and low growing shule here allow outshots.

12) Bridges were pretty well made and in places where they were helpful.

13) Pavilion and playgrounds and ball-fields are all available in this park.

14) Nicely done course board and sign at the first tee. Check it for updates, leagues, etc!
Cons: 1) The turf is thin on many areas on this course . . . it seems to be consistent with many Kentucky courses. There was some construction being done along #18 from the power company so I am sure they will repair the damage, but it was a mess to the left side of the fairway.

2) Not what I would call beginner friendly because of the tightness of many of the holes, but also because of the length on the others.

3) Not enough garbage cans to keep trash from being scattered around . . . although I suppose it will still get scattered around, but there is enough trash to be picked up I really don't want to carry it with me for multiple holes.

4) A few places to sit down but there could be a few more benches.

5) Hole #12 is really wet and flat so it holds water. Someone else complained about this so I am sure it wasn't just the rains that came recently. This could be solved with a french drain (perforated drain tile with gravel to the surface to allow the water to seep in). Then the draintile can be run down the hill away from the fairway and any other fairways it might affect.I know it takes time and/or money but it would be a priority of mine.

6) The walk back out from #2 long basket would really hold up play and expose people to discs from behind.
Other Thoughts: Design and challenge make this course a 4.5 . . . but the maintenance and scenery bring this course down to a 4 (but I actually think it is about a 3.75 in its current condition). If the parks department and the locals can make a few improvements this course will be really solid. I downgraded it because of these issues but I know the course will eventually be improved and it might be able to get up to a 4.5.

Super Solid Course

1    11/23/2011   12/13/2011
Review By: zapplayer12
Pros: Pro Tees are concrete with descriptive tee signs while Am tees are rubber fly-pads with no signs
Next tee arrows to aide in navigation: they are especially helpful on the one real tricky navigation area (from 15 to 16 & 17 to 18)
Solid mix: The open holes are usually longer, bordered/surrounded by thick, brushy areas, trees and/or OOB (to add some intricacy and force mindful shot selection) while the wooded holes are generally tight/technical/thick off the fairway and of shorter length. Available elevation is incorporated whenever possible and is of the gradual/moderate variety.
The course blends a balance of left/right/straight hole shaping along with what I call 'tension and release' design (shorter/more technical holes followed by longer/more open holes in various combinations ranging from easy to moderate to difficult - oftentimes combining and or inter-changing components of each).
In conjunction with the course traversing throughout the periphery of the entire park, the above mentioned characteristics (mix & balance) allow for a mostly seamless flow as the land is used resourcefully and (re)designed with a specific purpose in mind.
Baskets were placed with consideration (on slopes/small hills with roll-away potential, nestled in the woods after open drives, tree captive, etc). Roll-away was especially evident on 'transition-esque' holes (open holes #5 & #17 immediately come to mind) to add a little risk to otherwise basic holes .
I don't recall ever seeing this course feature before but there were small mats around the base of the basket poles apparently to alleviate undergrowth.
Bridges were in place to aide in crossing muddy & water runoff areas as drainage appears to be a course concern
Well kept park (water available, pavilion, ball fields, playground, etc) with trash cans accessible on some holes
Easy drive-by play as it's conveniently located off I-64 just outside of Louisville.
Cons: Slightly repetitive feel with similar wooded holes (tunnels) and open holes (brush bordered)
While am tees were 'easier' as far as distance was concerned, they didn't appear to be significantly so with various 'looks off the tee' being comparable to the pro tees also
Lack of benches was noticeable
Played in late fall so rough wasn't a factor but can see it being so during months of full growth
Park borders a neighborhood which was esthetically detracting in a minuscule way (think McMansions)
Other Thoughts: This is one solid course where accuracy, a variety of shots, mental toughness & a complete game is required to score well. Many of the holes penalize even the smallest mistakes by adding a stroke or more (some prime punishment examples are: #18's 459ft par 3; #7's 420ft. par 4; #9's 531ft par 4 with a mando and OOB to boot! - & #2's 519ft par 4). There's even a wooded hole (#11) with a fairway so narrow & dense, along with a sharp mid-fairway turn, that even though only 339ft, is designated a par 4.

I will say the lack of any real signature and/or stand out holes that generate the 'wow' factor is evident - even #15's 1011ft par 5 which has impressive length isn't what I'd call memorable or outstanding. However, this certainly does not detract from the course's fun factor and isn't a 'con' but needed mentioning.

Taken as a whole, Seviren Lang DGC is really well done and will present challenges to all skill levels (perhaps being a bit too much for newer or less experienced players). Sound play and shot selection will be rewarded (sometimes this will merely be par) and mistakes will have the player reflecting on what could have been. These course characteristics will keep the players coming back for more & I highly recommend dropping by for a play if nearby.