Omaha, NE
Seymour Smith Park Share
Uploaded By: scarpfish Hole #5 (Taken 8/2010)
Hole #5 Short Tee

Hills in Nebraska? Yeah!

1    3/17/2010   3/26/2010
Review By: Hamilton
Pros: Not extremely wooded, but plenty of trees to force a lot of technical shots, just how I like it!

All concrete tee pads, plenty of length and in good shape. Some are much larger than others. Mach baskets in very good condition. Facilities are nice in the park, plenty of parking. The map at the kiosk next to the parking lot does help a lot with navigation, although most holes are easily discoverable from the previous pin.

Many of the holes are deuceable, but not so short it is an easy two, which is a nice change of pace.

My memorable holes:
3 - Tee off over a big gully between trees, and have to anny it (RHBH) to approach the right pin position.
4 - Slight uphill through a tight tree tunnel, then opens up to the basket on a knoll, very tough tee shot!
10 - Throw up and over a blind hill, then the basket is tucked in manicured rows of bushes. Even with a good approach, the putt is still pretty tough if you're not right up on the basket.
17 - Really nice pin placement back in a stand of trees far off left, unfortunately I found several trees on the way there.
Cons: Fairly plain shot on many holes. Although it made good use of the rolling terrain, many holes were almost straight on. You had to thread the trees on several holes, but overall there wasn't a lot of really "difficult" disc golfing on this course.

The map at the kiosk may have been good, but when I play courses while traveling I like to have a map ahead of time, which I was unable to find prior to discovering one there. I took a picture and will try to have it added to the course page to help others in the future.

Tee signs were almost non-existent. You might have been able to discern what hole you were throwing, but had to struggle on some holes to make sure what basket you were throwing to, and on a few holes I had to walk the length of the hole to discover the layout and pin position.

When entering the park, there is not too many places to go, but I did spend a little time looking for the parking closest to the course, and luckily there were a few other groups playing at the time which helped me locate it sooner rather than later.

Not a terrible con, but there was a pretty good walk from the parking lot to the first tee, and a slightly less walk from 18 to the parking lot.
Other Thoughts: If I can get the map uploaded, it will help navigation greatly I believe, although I'm not sure how clearly it will show up. I had fun playing this course, but it did leave me wanting a little more distance and more turns or unique pin placements.

My rating of a 3 is based on the facts that there was some difficulty in locating the course, navigating, and the fact that it is pretty simple and straightforward. If you are in the area, it is definitely worth a stop if you have and extra hour to hour and a half to kill, although I'm also not sure if there are any better courses in Omaha that you should play over this one, as it is the only one I've played in the area so far.

nice course

1    11/13/2009   11/13/2009
Review By: tuskalosadizzle
Pros: I was told this was the best course when I was in Nebraska so I went, it was great being able to get my disc golf fix on a nice pretty course. I thought Nebraska was suppose to be all flat, this was on a big hill. Mach 3 are great pins glad the had them.
Cons: Not very challanging, it's kind of a pitch and putt but I loved it anyway.

5+    9/1/2009   11/10/2009
Review By: FreddieC
Pros: Great variety of open and wooded holes, short and long, as well as various elevation changes and obstacles (Hole #3) and scenic shots (#11) Two tee pads per hole. I enjoyed this course while I was in town on business!!
Cons: Very Busy - Most of the people that are playing are just screwing around with alot of them being intoxicated in one way or another - I'd hate to see anybody get arrested for all of the paraphernalia that people openly carried around.
Other Thoughts: Both Gas stations on the corner sold Discs and even had a few surprises!

Be aight

5+    10/6/2009   10/15/2009
Review By: Uncle Tox
Pros: Cement starting tees always nice, grounds well maintained. Good elevation with a creek. Nice big trees. Long and short holes for some good hole in ones.
Cons: WAY TO BUSY ALL THE TIME. Lot of people who think they can play but just clog things up for the good players.
Other Thoughts: If you can go early in the morning or when the kids are in school it is much more enjoyable.

fun course

1    8/19/2009   8/19/2009
Review By: pokrplayr
Pros: relatively easy course to follow with fun shots and multiple tee pads on most holes. not very crouded on the day and time that i went.. weekday around 11am.
Cons: there were a couple of long walks between basket and tee but i was easy to see which direction to head
Other Thoughts: if i had to chose between this course and treasure cove, i would play treasure cove

I Keep Coming Back

5+    7/22/2009   8/4/2009
Review By: harrystaab
Pros: Great variety - terrain, ease, shots needed, etc. Baskets are moved fairly often over the summer. Course is well marked and easy to follow. Pretty well maintained.
Cons: Can be busy at times. May spend time looking for discs in the creek. Some holes are definitely over-parred. One hole is missing a sign and another is scratched over.
Other Thoughts: The first course I ever played and the one I continue to come back to. I play it as often as I am around my hometown and have enjoyed the variety found in this course. I've never participated, but it seems the course regularly has tournaments and such put up by the DG club. Most who play here are quite friendly and patient. I'll repeat, pot smokers frequent the park though at least I've never had them bother me.

A few years ago

1    10/18/2003   7/11/2009
Review By: Fata2683
Pros: Lots of elevation change, and a very pretty well taken care of park. I thought most of the holes were wide open, which at the time I was not used to....but it was nice.
Cons: Almost too wide open in areas. Close to center city, lots of traffic and people in the park
Other Thoughts: enjoyed playing here

From a Local

5+    7/8/2009   7/9/2009
Review By: MiDwEsTfRoLfEr
Pros: From a local I have played at this park many times and first learned the game here. This is a great course where am and pros can frolf at with different tee-off pads that are not just further back but actually more complicated. This courses holes require players to be able to shoot at a hole when they cannot see it (hole 3 and hole 9). One of the great things about this course is they change the hole locations frequently and the other people are very friendly with a couple A-holes in between.
Cons: Some days are much crowded than others but if you get there in the morning to noon you should be good (9-12).
Other Thoughts: Good parking, clean park (ravine is dirtier but not terrible and doesn't stink), not much wildlife (I saw a beaver before but thats about it) and lots of pot heads, so not a course to bring kids to. But for sure the BEST park in Nebraska.

2-4    5/29/2009   5/29/2009
Review By: fretgod321
Pros: Seymour has a nice variety of elevation changes throughout the course, with plenty of different hole types, which utilize all aspects of the game, from long straight drives to hyzer/annhyzer drives, even a hole that requires you to tomahawk over trees in a ravine (hole 3). The second set of tees provide an additional challenge. There are also a number of holes that require you to drive through clusters of trees.
Cons: The only things i have against this course is that it is very crowded, when i played there last, i had to wait for at least two groups to tee off for every hole that i played. Also, the course is rather easy for more advanced players, but good practice and a fun course nonetheless.
Other Thoughts: All in all, Seymour is one of the better courses that i have played at in Nebraska. I had a great time and never got frustrated with the course. Definitely worth playing a round.

Quality Course

1    5/16/2009   5/17/2009
Review By: Crusher
Pros: Good mix of trees and open space with some elevation changes. Overall a nice course and I would play it if I were in the area again (but would not choose to play Sat afternoon to avoid the rush)
Cons: Way too crowded. No maps, had to ask for help a couple times, and let other groups play through while figuring out where to throw next. The dual pads/baskets is a good idea, but made it quite confusing for a first-timer. Could be better marked. Pars are inflated, I agree with others that most, if not all, are par 3. Sounds like I have a lot of "cons", but really, it is a fine course; could just use a couple simple tweaks.
Other Thoughts: My wife and I tried to fit this into an already busy day so did not play all the holes, but found hole #3 nice. She didn't want to risk it, but I liked having to tomahawk a hole.