Black Mountain, NC
Owen High Nature Trail DGC Share
Uploaded By: LeeLK Hole #5 (Taken 1/2014)
Hole #5 Mid-Fairway

An extensive project

1    4/10/2011   4/11/2011
Review By: tick
Pros: There is a lot about this course which is very extensive besides the name. Before even starting to play the course kiosk shows the extensive coordination between the school, area businesses, disc golfers, and the nature communities. This course will do a huge amount of education in one of the most enjoyable ways immaginable. To accomplish this there are two different scorecards, "birdies" and "greens", which help one to identify birds or plants which may be seen on the course. Indeed, I spotted an Eastern Bluebird perched on the first basket! The scorecard also invites the player to join the Blue Ridge Parkway Foundation's www.kidsinparks.com program and register the round and even earn some prizes. The double size tee signs themselves are extensive. On one side is a hole picture with a route path, the hole length, and any OB's or mandos listed. On the other side there is information about flora or fauna or the topography, and under that a "Pro Tip" towards playing better disc golf. Hole #1 is the longest hole on the course at 495'. With a slight elevation rise and a tree lined OB parking lot to the right it is the only par 4.
The course has a good mix of long, short, up, down, and several quite memorable holes, and a mostly easy flow.
The course has 9 nice new Discatchers.
Cons: My only serious criticism is the total lack of "NEXT TEE" signs. In spite of a this, I had just started believing that I did not need the map when I finished hole #4 and couldn't see hole #5 anywhere. A map, or a guide is needed here. I had the same problem of missing hole #6 at first when I did not use my map.
The tees are 5x8 timber frames on grade with woodchips on the surface. Check each tee sign for mandos or OB' as this is the only place they are listed. There are no benches, trashcans, or restrooms out on this course.
Although 5 holes favor a RHBH hyzer. Only holes 2 and 8 favor the LHBH thrower.
Other Thoughts: This course has the feel of an open city park. I liked the nice mix of shots and the skills needed to do them. The use of OB in places where it comes into play without a real serious lost disc hazard helps teach control without it being too painful. Along that line there is no water to use or not on this course. Also, though I listed the tees as a "con" I feel pretty neutral about them - they're OK, they just are. My favorite hole was #8 which is an ace run for everybody at 180' downhill between two huge trees - I emptied my bag there.
What is really exceptional about this course is the total outdoors learning package that has been developed. It is a worthwhile and fun course for anyone, but the total package puts it into a special category. For Owen High students, this is a treasure. For the rest of us it's at least a really good thing.