Alpharetta, GA
Wills Park Share
Uploaded By: Lewis Hole #17 (Taken 12/2010)

Nice Park to play

1    3/12/2014   3/27/2014
Review By: moore1927
Pros: This course is very visually pleasing, because it's located within a nice park. Although the park is crowded, most of the fairways, tees, and baskets are away from the main populated areas, so we didn't have any problems with people crossing over our playing field. There's a variety of holes, from open spaced to through woods.
Cons: A couple of holes are just... How do I say it other than this: We scratched our heads and asked "What were they thinking!?" To us, it seems illogical the placement of tees and holes in a couple of locations. One that went around a building through a tight spot with a deep stream right beside it, another through densely packed trees with very little of a "tunnel" or space to throw.
Other Thoughts: The course has a good feel. There's something nice and nostalgic for me to be a park with families around, kids playing baseball, and old ladies walking around. I just felt good while playing there.

Tough but fair course

2-4    2/5/2013   8/13/2013
Review By: captain_d
Pros: * Nice design and few nice shots.
* Concrete teepads and very good signage.
* Nice overall park and surrounding community.
* Well maintained.
Cons: * Course runs along a creek, so lots of shots can end up in the water. The creek also causes the course to become very muddy for several days after a rain.
* Bugs. SInce it runs along the creek, it lends itself to being a hotbed for a mosquito breeding ground (especially in the summer). Bring bug spray!
* Very crowded. Lots of people out here playing as well as dog-walkers, joggers, etc. by the course. You have to be careful not to hit someone.
* A lot of tight shots. You can't ever really tee off on any hole on the course.
Other Thoughts: A nice overall course. Nothing too special, but a good challenge if you are looking for one.

Creeks and Trees

1    5/16/2013   5/16/2013
Review By: sloppydisc
Pros: 18 holes with good baskets, great tee pads and multiple basket positions to keep things a little mixed up. Signs at pads are adequate, and show lengths, basket positions and basic layout. Course is built in a nice park with lots of other activities nearby plus some nice restrooms. Everything is clean and well kept.

Mostly short technical course with some extremely tight gaps, and lots of trouble if you don't hit your lines. A creek or creeks wind through most of the course and add some OB risk to many of the holes. There are some really cool looking shots from the tee pads. Hit a tiny gap and you have ace or birdie opportunity Miss and you are toast.

There was a couple relatively open holes in the 300' range as a respite from all the tight lines.
Cons: Navigation is very tricky. Without a local guide I would have spent another 30 minutes wandering around.There is some backtracking plus a long walk from 16 to 17. Not great, but with a mixed use park these things happen. There are some small signs posted on trees to help so make sure you slow down and look for them.

A pedestrian bridge crosses the fairway on 18. We had to wait for some kids to cross. Keep your eyes open.

Not any length or holes for people that want to throw a few bombs. This is mostly a technical course and one-trick pony.

Wasn't thrilled with 13. You either follow the fairway and have no chance for a birdie on a 265' hole, or try to punch through a line of trees, and hope for the best. That fairway shape/design is pretty funky.
Other Thoughts: This is a fun course with a lot of cool looking, tight shots off the pad. Most of the trees are large and create some nice challenging fairways without the pinball effect that smaller trees and typical pine forests give you. It is a fun place to make some mids and putters do their thing around trees and over the small creek. There is some under brush and thorns, but it is not so thick that is is a problem.

Hole lengths vary from 190' to 356' when I played. Hole 2 is a cool 380' design with creek to the left and brush to the left. It's tight, but fair and fun. 14 is also a cool home with the creek running up the middle of a tight fairway. Hit your shot and it is plenty fair. Miss and trouble awaits.

BEWARE!! The locals all warned me about Copperheads today, and they weren't kidding. We encountered 2 in our round. Keep your eyes open, and be alert. This review is mid May and the reptiles are active. Obviously this is less of a concern other times of the year.

Sweet and sour

1    12/31/2012   1/1/2013
Review By: Bennybennybenny
This review was updated on 10/25/2013
Pros: -Great park in Georgia which pretty much everything a park could have. Like Connor said, there are basketball and tennis courts, giant baseball stadium but best of all, a disc golf course.
-Great variety of open holes and very tricky wooded holes and a few hills. Also, two holes have island greens but isn't a penalty stroke if you miss if on #9. Dunno about #11 though. Not to mention many ditches in play that carry a little bit of water.
-Nice grippy teepads like everyone has said, no foot faults yesterday and I have a large run up even though I'm short.
-18 disccatchers are in great shape and catch very well. I played with my cousin and uncle along with my brother and father (who are all beginners) and they made some pretty nice shots.
-#11 is a very cool ace run. Very tight and punishing with an island green protected by many trees. There are two routes that can get you there but a straight shot will not. I also liked #6, open hole that is 300 feet long but slightly downhill. I missed the birdie but any birdie on a hole that long or longer feels good.
-Bathrooms in the building after you finish #2.
-Good chance for an ace, most likely on #17 and maybe #1 and a couple others. Try your best because many holes will NEVER be aced here. I actually saw that #3 was aced! That's a shocker, I bogeyed that one, maybe because I drove with a midrange which went too straight and hit a tree but congrats to whoever it was who did.
-Water fountains are availible, I think in the building. You will need some in the summer because from what Connor said, it's cold water.
Cons: -Firstly, there is a lack of benches and trashcans, there were a couple of benches but I remember zero trashcans. So go to the building after #2 if ya have trash.
-Course did seem to be a little bit crammed in despite very narrow holes. Particularly on the back nine and despite #9-#16 being too close, it leaves an extremely long walk to #17, It's about 1400 feet down to pavilion 1 where #17 is. Also, a bad roller gets you on #9's fairway. Thing is, some holes are too close to each other and the back nine wasn't very good. I only liked the first two on the back nine. #16 and #17 were okay too. #15, was the only really good hole on the back nine along with #11. #15 is a cool shot that goes back into the woods. The tee is not in the woods.
-It took a few minutes to find #1, it's across #18 which you will see when you park. #18's basket is close to the road by a hill. Cross the bridge and past the tennis court or basketball court, I don't remember which it was.
-#14 is a bit ridiculous, you have no room to throw on your teeshot. I know it's a short par 4 but that doesn't mean it has to be that tricky and #18 was pretty boring. It's memorable because you don't have any room to throw but it can be very frustrating since the creek is to the left and there's no room right. It's definitely one of those tweener holes. #14 isn't, it's fine as a par 4 but #18 is just irritating. This course can be better.
-Very muddy, I got my shoes a bit dirty, my NEW ones by not even going in the ditch, but I did which made them more dirty. It's no problem if you are wearing your old shoes though.
-#11 could have a long tee on the hill and be a fun, nicely downhill shot but it's still an awesome hole over a couple ravines.
-#15's short basket is missing and since I was playing with people who started yesterday, I couldn't find #2 short tee. #12's long basket is pulled but we know why.
-I really don't find this course really fun. I gave it a 3 because that's what it deserves. The course was in good shape, but I didn't like the back nine. Half the holes have no real line on the back nine. I mean, #6 is pretty fun, #9 has an island green, that was really fun, #11 is over a couple ravines and #15 was fun too but the rest of them were a bit bland to me but those four stood out to me. If I had to pick a favorite, I'd say it's #15. It's a great shot that goes into the mouth of the woods, but one problem, it's beside the running track. The runners better watch out because I don't want to pay your medical bill. Show the course respect, for God's sake.
Other Thoughts: Overall, this is a cool little course in Georgia. Worth the stop by. I came excited because this is the first course in Georgia that I played and I left pretty happy. It was great for my aunt and uncle to offer coming to play after the Chick fla bowl (Go Clemson). It has it's ups and downs and it's easy holes and it's holes where I could tolerate a +5 (haha). It's not so hard with my score of even (4 birdies, 4 bogeys). Come play this course if you are in Georgia because some 18 hole courses are boring but this one is unique and has some holes that can save you and some holes will hate you. I enjoyed this course and I think all of you will like it. It's not hilly but it's got some really cool holes, all can be exciting to play. This was a tweener between a 2.5 to 3. The reason it's a 3 is pretty much because the front nine was really good and some holes on the back nine seemed a bit ridiculous.
-Signature hole, dunno, maybe #5 considering it was favorited twice. #6 is fun too because it's an open slightly downhill shot.
If you don't find this review helpful, send me a message and tell me why. Please don't thumb it down and not tell me why, I want to see what else you want to know about this course.

Much Improved

1    2/26/2011   2/26/2011
Review By: jdawg24
Pros: Huge improvement on the old layout. Finally got to play it today and the course is much better than it was, most if not all pedestrian interference has been eliminated. Nice new Innova baskets and concrete teepads -- improved over the old baskets and dirt teepads. The new wooded holes play through a beautiful wooded area with large trees & magnolia trees. Great bridges built throughout the course area during the recent renovation. This is a fun course to play.
Cons: The biggest con is the lack of fairways on several of the wooded holes (9,12 & 13) -- these holes don't have valid routes and could really use a chainsaw. Overall the course is very short and lacks challenge, even from the long tees -- I only threw my distance driver (wraith) one time in the entire course.

The configuration is awkward (due to the park's constraints, not the design) ... and there is still unfortunately a very long walk between 16 & 17.
Other Thoughts: The design is a massive improvement over the level it had deteriorated to in recent years, so kudos to Keith Johnson and everyone else responsible.

As an open level player, I found this course seemed short / not very challenging. It will appeal much more to beginner/intermediate level players than advanced/open level.

Worth playing if you are in the Alpharetta area, but not a must play course -- this course is not among the top 5 courses in the Atlanta area.

Very fun but dangerous

1    1/20/2011   1/29/2011
Review By: cefire
Pros: Wills Park is a really fun course in a busy multi-use park outside of Atlanta. The design has a very traditional feel to it although the baskets, tees, signs, and everything look brand spankin new. The front nine holes, while not very challenging, still require well-thrown shots for birdie. Some of the more picturesque holes on the front play parallel to a small creek and mostly penalize bad shots with OB potential. The back nine is really the teeth of this course. Set in moderately dense woods, errant shots here make recovery much more difficult than on the front and the fairways require that you shape shots rather than just control distance. On both the front and the back, the designer has done an excellent job of mixing up distances, fairway density, and angles needed off the tee.
Cons: My main con with this park is that to get to the magic number (18 holes), the design is inherently dangerous for the front 9 holes. On several holes you play right near walking paths where a shank or bad ricochet will end up with a pedestrian getting hit. Most reasonable players will wait until peds are out of the way but then again, most casual disc golfers just don't have that awareness. Even by dropping to 14-16 holes I believe this course could A) remove some of the "filler" holes on the front 9 and B) Reduce a lot of the pedestrian danger.

All-in-all I had a lot of fun playing here but was just wondering how long this course is going to last before it gets modified or even worse, pulled altogether.
Other Thoughts: Other reviewers have noted the mud and I could certainly see that being a challenge, especially on the back holes. We visited during a dry stretch and had very good playing conditions, so there is hope to avoid the mud!

Play it again for the first time!

5+    1/5/2011   1/7/2011
Review By: Lewis
Pros: With the renovation of this disc golf course in late 2010, everything that used to be wrong with Wills is now right. A full set of new Innova Discatcher baskets have replaced the old worn out Mach 2s (or whatever they were), there are newly poured concrete pads on every hole, well marked signs at every tee, useful "Next Tee" stakes at the foot of every basket, and even a practice basket near hole 1.

This course weaves artfully through a high-traffic multi-use park, so there are plenty of "facilities" around in case you need to take a pit stop or you want to set up a picnic at one of the pavilions.

There are a mix of tightly wooded and relatively open fairways on the course, but none of the holes are open or safe enough to be boring. Even the extra-short 17 (formerly 15) has out-of-bounds looming treacherously close on either side of the fairway and basket. Those who like creekside disc golf will love Wills, where most of the holes play along or across a network of small creeks that run through the park.
Cons: All of the major problems have been removed from this course, but there are still a few nits to pick, as with almost every course. The primary problem here is the abiding muddiness of Wills Park. I don't know what the problem is, but there are certain fairways that never seem to dry up, even in the Summer. It can be a pain to negotiate your way around, and frustrating to constantly be wiping the mud off your discs. I don't know what if anything could be done about it, and this con is certainly mitigated by the new installation of concrete pads.

Some of the narrowest fairways run alongside a creek with extremely deep and treacherous banks. The climb down can be annoying or moderately dangerous.

There remains a lot of cleanup work to be done here, especially with a couple of recently fallen trees on the fairways. There is also a significant need for more good bridges like the one that Craigd installed at the nexus of #9, #10, #14, and #15. A couple of major creek crossings have been set up with narrow wooden planks that shift under your feet as you cross. They'll hold your weight but you have to take care of your balance. These latter issues should be resolved in time, but until they are, be careful where you step and be ready to catch yourself slipping on the muddy banks.
Other Thoughts: As I noted in my "Cons" section, all of the major cons are now gone. More specifically, the redesign of the layout has removed all of the walking paths, benches, popular picnic areas, and horse trailer parking zones out of play. You'll no longer have to wait forever to play your next throw, or have to skip two holes because of the equestrian RVs parked in the middle of the fairways. The holes that were formerly affected by these problems have been tweaked to take the problem zones out of play or replaced by a new run of 4 holes back in the woods where only the disc golfers go. The holes that never had any problems have remained unchanged other than their numbering.

About the renumbering of the holes, there are still several parking lots around the park that will give you easy access to the course, and nobody is going to force you to start at #1, but the new hole #1 uses the basket location for the old #13, with the pads moved to the other side of the tennis court, and old #12 is now playing as #18. If you want to play from 1-18 in order, park at the lot by the tennis courts and follow the signs and markers from basket to tee. Much has changed, but much is still familiar, and the personality of the old course has been well preserved. It is still a relatively short but technically demanding course with lots of trees and creeks in play.

Reviewers who put a premium on the little details like concrete pads and bathroom facilities will probably rate this course higher than I have. I will be willing to raise my rating once the course has matured a bit. For now, I'm pleased to be able to raise my rating from a 2.0 for the old layout to a 3.0 in the new, and am definitely having a lot more fun out here than I used to. Those who gave up on this course years ago should come back and give it another chance: you'll be pleasantly surprised!