Alpharetta, GA
Wills Park Share
Uploaded By: Lewis Hole #12 (Taken 12/2010)

< Prev 1 2 3
Pretty park full of technical holes

1    5/10/2014   5/10/2014
Review By: Moose33
Pros: Very attractive multi use park that is well maintained.

Mostly follows the path of a small creek that you will have the opportunity to land in on a lot of the holes.

A couple of the holes have alternate teepads and the baskets all have an arrow in a ring around the bottom to let you know where the next teepad is.

It's a shorter playing course but very technical, I used a variety of shots that I don't always use and had a ton of escape shots, short Tommy's and forehands with a putter.

All the pads are concrete and the baskets are newish Disccatchers.

Overall a fun day stomping through muddy woods.
Cons: It's a very short course hole distance wise, you may not need anything but a putter and a mid to play it. I only used fairway drivers on a few holes.

It's a crowded multi use park with picknic tables many baseball fields(played there as a kid, good memories), tennis courts and a pool. So it can be super crowded and kids will sometimes pick up a disc on the front nine.

There is an unusually long walk between 16 and 17 and it's the one hole not marked well.
Other Thoughts: I has a good time, but since drive are the best part of my game, I would have liked to throw some.

It's a great place to fall in love with your midranges again though and practice all the awkward shots you usually try not to use on a more open course.

I flicked my putter so many times I have a lot more confidence in it now.

Also bring a towel, between the creek and the many rain puddles this time of year it will be wet.

Would have given it a 3.25 if I could.

Nice Park to play

1    3/12/2014   3/27/2014
Review By: moore1927
Pros: This course is very visually pleasing, because it's located within a nice park. Although the park is crowded, most of the fairways, tees, and baskets are away from the main populated areas, so we didn't have any problems with people crossing over our playing field. There's a variety of holes, from open spaced to through woods.
Cons: A couple of holes are just... How do I say it other than this: We scratched our heads and asked "What were they thinking!?" To us, it seems illogical the placement of tees and holes in a couple of locations. One that went around a building through a tight spot with a deep stream right beside it, another through densely packed trees with very little of a "tunnel" or space to throw.
Other Thoughts: The course has a good feel. There's something nice and nostalgic for me to be a park with families around, kids playing baseball, and old ladies walking around. I just felt good while playing there.

Tough but fair course

2-4    2/5/2013   8/13/2013
Review By: captain_d
Pros: * Nice design and few nice shots.
* Concrete teepads and very good signage.
* Nice overall park and surrounding community.
* Well maintained.
Cons: * Course runs along a creek, so lots of shots can end up in the water. The creek also causes the course to become very muddy for several days after a rain.
* Bugs. SInce it runs along the creek, it lends itself to being a hotbed for a mosquito breeding ground (especially in the summer). Bring bug spray!
* Very crowded. Lots of people out here playing as well as dog-walkers, joggers, etc. by the course. You have to be careful not to hit someone.
* A lot of tight shots. You can't ever really tee off on any hole on the course.
Other Thoughts: A nice overall course. Nothing too special, but a good challenge if you are looking for one.

Short but good

5+    8/11/2013   8/11/2013
Review By: GSquare44
Pros: Well maintained. Concrete Tees. Easy to follow. Next Tee signs on Baskets. Ropes on all Baskets (showing 10 M circle)
Cons: Short. Always crowded. Very soggy and muddy. Lots of poison ivy and mosquitos.
Other Thoughts: There is a bit of a walk from 16 to 17 but the designers did the best they could. They have multiple Basket placements and change them up regularly. It's a nice confidence booster course.

Great Little Course

1    7/7/2013   7/7/2013
Review By: St0rmbringer
Pros: While there are no holes longer than 400', and there are a couple very easy holes, every hole provides you with a chance to be a hero or a zero.
The course is well-maintained and the signage is EXCELLENT with one exception: going from #16 to #17.
This course would remind you of Timmons Park in Greenville, SC or Sugaw Creek in Charlotte.
Cons: Being next to the creek means conditions could be soggy after rains.
Some holes could stand to have some smaller trees knocked out. Especially #15--I only saw one workable line for that hole and a strong LHBH player would hate it.
Other Thoughts: This might not be a professional-level course but I'd be tickled to have this course as my home course. This course compares favorably to some of my favorite courses in the Charlotte area.

Will's Thrills

1    6/30/2013   7/3/2013
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Will's Park in Alpharetta, GA is a fun course with low scoring possibilities throughout. The first hole is next to a pavilion with bathrooms and water fountains. Long and short concrete tees on some holes. Baskets are all in good shape. I liked the current layout, although I never played the old one.

I liked the level of playability here mostly. I finished with a 52, and as a good but far from great player, it is fun to go under par at a course that I have never played. Trees and creeks are the main obstacles, elevation changes are minimal. Not championship caliber, but should still be fun for many average players. Most holes require some shot shaping to get close to the pin. Mid range and putters can be thrown out of the box on several holes.
Cons: Many other people playing or walking the trails weaving through the park, so be careful. Signs indicate snakes in the water. BEWARE! The area has been getting a lot of rain, so muddy patches were scattered throughout. Dogs must remain on a leash. A couple of holes were kind of dinky (1, 17). Long walk after hole 17.
Other Thoughts: Will's park is not one of the best courses around Atlanta, but it is fun. I am glad I chose to give it a try. The layout is fast and easy to follow, and birdies are there for the taking. Similarities to Sugaw Creek in Charlotte.

Creeks and Trees

1    5/16/2013   5/16/2013
Review By: sloppydisc
Pros: 18 holes with good baskets, great tee pads and multiple basket positions to keep things a little mixed up. Signs at pads are adequate, and show lengths, basket positions and basic layout. Course is built in a nice park with lots of other activities nearby plus some nice restrooms. Everything is clean and well kept.

Mostly short technical course with some extremely tight gaps, and lots of trouble if you don't hit your lines. A creek or creeks wind through most of the course and add some OB risk to many of the holes. There are some really cool looking shots from the tee pads. Hit a tiny gap and you have ace or birdie opportunity Miss and you are toast.

There was a couple relatively open holes in the 300' range as a respite from all the tight lines.
Cons: Navigation is very tricky. Without a local guide I would have spent another 30 minutes wandering around.There is some backtracking plus a long walk from 16 to 17. Not great, but with a mixed use park these things happen. There are some small signs posted on trees to help so make sure you slow down and look for them.

A pedestrian bridge crosses the fairway on 18. We had to wait for some kids to cross. Keep your eyes open.

Not any length or holes for people that want to throw a few bombs. This is mostly a technical course and one-trick pony.

Wasn't thrilled with 13. You either follow the fairway and have no chance for a birdie on a 265' hole, or try to punch through a line of trees, and hope for the best. That fairway shape/design is pretty funky.
Other Thoughts: This is a fun course with a lot of cool looking, tight shots off the pad. Most of the trees are large and create some nice challenging fairways without the pinball effect that smaller trees and typical pine forests give you. It is a fun place to make some mids and putters do their thing around trees and over the small creek. There is some under brush and thorns, but it is not so thick that is is a problem.

Hole lengths vary from 190' to 356' when I played. Hole 2 is a cool 380' design with creek to the left and brush to the left. It's tight, but fair and fun. 14 is also a cool home with the creek running up the middle of a tight fairway. Hit your shot and it is plenty fair. Miss and trouble awaits.

BEWARE!! The locals all warned me about Copperheads today, and they weren't kidding. We encountered 2 in our round. Keep your eyes open, and be alert. This review is mid May and the reptiles are active. Obviously this is less of a concern other times of the year.

Better have great aim or you could disable a child...

1    2/24/2013   3/2/2013
Review By: Alejandro01
Pros: The location is great.
The targets and pads are kept very well.
The maps offered are accurate and easy to read.
Very scenic course for being in a city park.
You don't have to go searching for your next target, the layout is easy to follow.
Cons: You better have excellent accuracy of you might end up hitting a person or dog.
Even when you are away from trails, you might still get the wondering jogger run in your way. Just too many children and adult activities woven between the Ts.
Other Thoughts: When the weather is nice and the park is packed, its certainly not a great place for people who are trying to learn.

Sweet and sour

1    12/31/2012   1/1/2013
Review By: Bennybennybenny
This review was updated on 10/25/2013
Pros: -Great park in Georgia which pretty much everything a park could have. Like Connor said, there are basketball and tennis courts, giant baseball stadium but best of all, a disc golf course.
-Great variety of open holes and very tricky wooded holes and a few hills. Also, two holes have island greens but isn't a penalty stroke if you miss if on #9. Dunno about #11 though. Not to mention many ditches in play that carry a little bit of water.
-Nice grippy teepads like everyone has said, no foot faults yesterday and I have a large run up even though I'm short.
-18 disccatchers are in great shape and catch very well. I played with my cousin and uncle along with my brother and father (who are all beginners) and they made some pretty nice shots.
-#11 is a very cool ace run. Very tight and punishing with an island green protected by many trees. There are two routes that can get you there but a straight shot will not. I also liked #6, open hole that is 300 feet long but slightly downhill. I missed the birdie but any birdie on a hole that long or longer feels good.
-Bathrooms in the building after you finish #2.
-Good chance for an ace, most likely on #17 and maybe #1 and a couple others. Try your best because many holes will NEVER be aced here. I actually saw that #3 was aced! That's a shocker, I bogeyed that one, maybe because I drove with a midrange which went too straight and hit a tree but congrats to whoever it was who did.
-Water fountains are availible, I think in the building. You will need some in the summer because from what Connor said, it's cold water.
Cons: -Firstly, there is a lack of benches and trashcans, there were a couple of benches but I remember zero trashcans. So go to the building after #2 if ya have trash.
-Course did seem to be a little bit crammed in despite very narrow holes. Particularly on the back nine and despite #9-#16 being too close, it leaves an extremely long walk to #17, It's about 1400 feet down to pavilion 1 where #17 is. Also, a bad roller gets you on #9's fairway. Thing is, some holes are too close to each other and the back nine wasn't very good. I only liked the first two on the back nine. #16 and #17 were okay too. #15, was the only really good hole on the back nine along with #11. #15 is a cool shot that goes back into the woods. The tee is not in the woods.
-It took a few minutes to find #1, it's across #18 which you will see when you park. #18's basket is close to the road by a hill. Cross the bridge and past the tennis court or basketball court, I don't remember which it was.
-#14 is a bit ridiculous, you have no room to throw on your teeshot. I know it's a short par 4 but that doesn't mean it has to be that tricky and #18 was pretty boring. It's memorable because you don't have any room to throw but it can be very frustrating since the creek is to the left and there's no room right. It's definitely one of those tweener holes. #14 isn't, it's fine as a par 4 but #18 is just irritating. This course can be better.
-Very muddy, I got my shoes a bit dirty, my NEW ones by not even going in the ditch, but I did which made them more dirty. It's no problem if you are wearing your old shoes though.
-#11 could have a long tee on the hill and be a fun, nicely downhill shot but it's still an awesome hole over a couple ravines.
-#15's short basket is missing and since I was playing with people who started yesterday, I couldn't find #2 short tee. #12's long basket is pulled but we know why.
-I really don't find this course really fun. I gave it a 3 because that's what it deserves. The course was in good shape, but I didn't like the back nine. Half the holes have no real line on the back nine. I mean, #6 is pretty fun, #9 has an island green, that was really fun, #11 is over a couple ravines and #15 was fun too but the rest of them were a bit bland to me but those four stood out to me. If I had to pick a favorite, I'd say it's #15. It's a great shot that goes into the mouth of the woods, but one problem, it's beside the running track. The runners better watch out because I don't want to pay your medical bill. Show the course respect, for God's sake.
Other Thoughts: Overall, this is a cool little course in Georgia. Worth the stop by. I came excited because this is the first course in Georgia that I played and I left pretty happy. It was great for my aunt and uncle to offer coming to play after the Chick fla bowl (Go Clemson). It has it's ups and downs and it's easy holes and it's holes where I could tolerate a +5 (haha). It's not so hard with my score of even (4 birdies, 4 bogeys). Come play this course if you are in Georgia because some 18 hole courses are boring but this one is unique and has some holes that can save you and some holes will hate you. I enjoyed this course and I think all of you will like it. It's not hilly but it's got some really cool holes, all can be exciting to play. This was a tweener between a 2.5 to 3. The reason it's a 3 is pretty much because the front nine was really good and some holes on the back nine seemed a bit ridiculous.
-Signature hole, dunno, maybe #5 considering it was favorited twice. #6 is fun too because it's an open slightly downhill shot.
If you don't find this review helpful, send me a message and tell me why. Please don't thumb it down and not tell me why, I want to see what else you want to know about this course.

The first cuttttt is the deepeesttt

2-4    6/12/2012   11/12/2012
Review By: Connor Jones
Pros: An extremely fun little course. It has a very solid variety of shot shapes and quite a few holes have different routes you could try.

Nice teepads, the perfect size for a course of this style.

Extremely awesome bridges connecting some of the holes.

Discatchers are all in good shape.

There is a lot of other stuff going on in this park, I think there are some tennis courts, basketball courts, equestrian center, baseball fields, so if someone in your family is in to these sorts of things, you can drag them along and play some disc golf.

Nice bathrooms that as far as I remember were kept clean, including water fountains with water that is actually cold!
Cons: No real length out here, which isn't really what this course is all about, so it's all good.

Even with some of the safety improvements, there are still some holes that are kind of iffy. As long as you don't veer off too far, you should be okay, but as well all know this is not always the case in disc golf.
Other Thoughts: Wills park holds a special place in my heart. This was the very first disc golf course I ever played about four years ago, on the old layout. I didn't play again for a couple of years and I didn't even know wills was the first course I played, until I revisited it and had all the repressed memories of my horrible first throws brought back to me, haha.

This is an extremely fun course, it's not overly challenging for the most part, but there are enough holes out here that do provide some difficulty to not make it overly easy either. A perfect balance.

This is the type of course you want to play on a nice spring day, maybe bring a brew or two(although it's probably not legal in this park) and some food. An easy course to just relax at without getting overly frustrated.

< Prev 1 2 3