Bowling Green, KY
Hobson Grove Park Share
Uploaded By: SimonCarr
Hobson House

Fun loop around a historical mansion

2-4    3/1/2014   3/2/2014
Review By: sisyphus
Pros: One of the tightly wooded courses at Bowling Green, Hobson Grove wends its way around the historical mansion hill overlooking the Riverview Golf Course on the west side of town. The 18 holes encompass straight, left-and right- turning lanes, and are generally shorter than average, but with an S-shaped 500 footer to keep players humble. Three holes (9, 10 & 10) have recently been shifted and slightly upgraded in challenge, but mostly to pull miss- and over-throws away from the small parking lots and driveways up on the hill.

With DGA baskets throughout, there are actually more than 18 holes here, because the local club has three other layouts for hole 13. But with 13 being a beautiful, tight downhill shot to a landing zone, followed by a guarded lane to the pin, tournaments usually drop the short hole 12 and add 13A, a tight 280 foot lane just beyond. The use of elevation throughout the course is really well done, but not brutal: shorter uphills (mostly), and rises and ravines adding challenge and the occasional blind pin position.

Tee pads are all concrete and level (though of varying age and size), signage is informative (if getting a little old), and there are benches and trash buckets where needed. The flow of the design is pretty good, though first timers might want to bring a map for the transitions from 3 to 4, 4 to 5, and 9 to 10. After you've played here once, you appreciate how the walks between tees are not too lengthy, especially when you realize you just made an interesting looping run around the hill.

In all, Hobson Grove is a very enjoyable experience for the Recreational to Intermediate player, because almost everything is 'par-able'. Bigger arms won't have as much fun, as there isn't a whole lot there to 'distance' themselves from the rest of the pack. Advanced and Open players are typically able to apply their improved technical skills and variety of throws to stay out of trouble and grab a handful more deuces, though.
Cons: Though the shorter tees remain on 9 & 10, and could be safely played by shorter arms, the old 18 tee pad should not be used (it's now in the fairway for hole ten). Personally, I don't mind, but there aren't any 'Big D' holes on this course, if that's an element you demand. Finally, some of the benches, tees, and signs are showing their age. They're not bad yet, but it might be an area the local club will have to tweak in the next decade, to keep this a 'must play' course for this area.
Other Thoughts: Used annually for the spring "Woods of Bowling Green" tune-up tournament, I've now played here twice, but haven't seen it in full summer bloom. I would assume the shots get tougher and tighter, and the rough fills in quite a bit. This course plays on the upper half of the nice selection of 8-10 courses in the area, as it is used for the upper divisions for the BG Amateur Championships annually.

Found our groove at the Grove

1    1/11/2014   1/11/2014
Review By: dad_of_dg_junkies
This review was updated on 1/12/2014
Pros: 1. The variety of shots were the trademark of this course for me. Not only did I get to play most of my discs, but the course required/allowed every type of shot.

2. I really enjoyed the layout of the course. The use of the terrain, elevation change, and the rocks provided a nice course. Some of the holes played close together, but we were alone on the course so it was very quiet.

3. Most of the holes have huge risk/reward feel to them. If you go for the baskets birdies can be had. It also can bring the big number in as well. I could see where the short arm or older player could play safely on this course and shot a good number.

4. The tee pad were mostly in pretty good shape and had good grip to them.

5. The baskets are mach 3's and were in decent shape.

6. The signage was pretty good on this course. Since it was our first time at this course, we had to depend on the signs for distance and layout. We had to walk down the fairway on a few holes to spot the baskets, but that was a product of the shape of the holes and not the accuracy of the signs.

6. I've seen people call this course short... it didn't play short to me. # 2 was 475 ft par 3 and #9 said it was 305 ft but played into a stiff wind and up a very steep slope. It played more like 405 ft.
Cons: 1. Some of the tee pads are cracked
2. A couple of holes play very close to each other
Other Thoughts: The family and I drive to BG quite often to enjoy the MANY good courses in and around the area. This one was a REALLY NICE place to play. Since we played it in the winter, the lines were wider than in the summer and some of the other listed problems (bugs, thorns and poison ivy) weren't problems. The rocks on the course gave it a different character for me. Didn't really know what to expect as we were driving into the park, but the experience exceeded my expectations. My family will definitely play here again.

DG on a historic piece of land

1    10/14/2013   10/15/2013
Review By: gmoney1984
Pros: 1. A lot of variety

2. Very Historic place with a beautiful large home/old school mansion. I enjoyed reading about the Hobson family near one of the tee pads on the front 9.

2. Good use of elevation with the tee pads and pin placement

3. Next to a ball golf course which I thought was kinda cool.

4. Plenty of obstacles

5. Really old awesome trees
Cons: 1. A few spots in the woods where your lines are kinda crappy with too many trees in the way.

2. Hole #2 I believe it was is really tough. Its about 500 feet and a par 3 thru a really tight wooded area that finally opens up.

3. Sticker bushes in a few different spots

Other Thoughts: The disc golf course was solid but just knowing there was a lot of history on that land and the fact there is now a disc golf course on it I just thought was really awesome. It does appear to be slightly run down though in what looks to be the bad side of town but we didn't run into any trouble at all and I would def come back. This was stop #5 of our 111 hole day and took two people 1:54 minutes to play

Fun in the Woods

5+    10/31/2010   12/4/2010
Review By: sengenberger
Pros: The course is built around the Historic Hobson House. Most of the holes are reachable for most skill levels, the only one being out of place is hole 2. Most holes have very narrow gaps or barely a gap at all. That being said, you have to hit your lines pretty much perfectly on almost all the wooded holes or else you will be fighting for a par. There is a good combination of wooded and open holes along with some elevation changes that keep the course interesting.
Most of the tee pads are in good condition, and some (8 and 9 are the two I remember) have the line of the fairway in the tee pad's concrete (I thought that was neat). This course also requires a good mix of backhand, sidearm, (and sometimes) overhand shots in order to navigate its tricky fairways. The course is absolutely beautiful when played in the fall and all the leaves have changed color.
This is the course in Bowling Green that you go to if you want to learn how to throw a midrange properly. Shooting well here in practice will really improve your technical game. No two holes throw the same, which is something I love about the course.
Cons: The course is very messy due to the lack of trash cans, and some of the tee pads are cracked. Some of the tee pads are not level, so watch your footing. Bugs can be an issue in the summer, as can poison ivy, so bring bug spray and watch your step. If you are there when the wind is blowing the wrong way, you will catch a whiff of the sewage treatment plant right next door.
Other Thoughts: There are a few ace run holes, mainly being 4, 15, and 17. I love to empty my bag each of those because they are fun to throw at. The elevation changes at 9 and 17 are great, being uphill and downhill respectively. Do not be alarmed if you see police cars rolling in and out of the park, as there is a police shooting range behind the park. This course and Preston Miller are both great wooded courses, but this one is definitely the best.

Old school course for everyone

5+    7/26/2010   7/27/2010
Review By: weeman
This review was updated on 1/6/2012
Pros: Course traverses the land around the Historic Hobson House which dates back to pre-Civil War times. Seventeen of the eighteen holes are reachable in one throw by players of most skill levels. With that being said, you have to hit your lines as this is a very technical course that can be very punishing with errant throws. Slight to moderate elevation changes on almost every hole. I find a good balance of hyzer and anhyzer shots throughout the course. Some open holes with the rest being heavily wooded. New tee signs have been installed within the year and several new tee pads have been put in in place of old cracked pads. The course is easy to navigate with the front nine being on one side of the Hobson House and the back nine being on the other.
Cons: I didn't think the rough was too overbearing but there is quite a bit of poison ivy and such out there. Also, the bugs can be quite annoying so don't forget your bug spray. There aren't many trash cans available on the course so the trash build up can be unsightly and unnecessary.
Other Thoughts: There's not a lot that can be done about it other than don't be out there with the wind blowing the wrong direction, but there's a waste treatment facility directly adjacent to the course. It is visible from holes 5 and 6 and can stink up the course if you're unlucky. Also, a new entrance road to the police shooting range has been built right near number 5 so don't freak out if you see anywhere from one to eight cop cars rolling in or out during your round. The firing range is also audible on the back side of the course around numbers 12 and 13 from time to time.

My very 1st course I played

5+    10/25/2009   7/27/2010
Review By: absolutdork
Pros: Nostalgic. Very first course built in Bowling Green. Easy to navigate and decent elevations up and down. Very technical wood lines to throw into, and except for hole #2, all holes aren't so long that the hills beat you up.
Cons: The tee box signs really need to be removed and reinstalled. Just too basic for me, but I guess basic is all about the older courses, and this course is just a mere two years younger than my 33 year old butt haha. The last time I played the course, next to the barn by the teepad on #17, they had stacked random bricks next to it for no apparent reason. I really hope they have moved them because it was an eyesore to me.
Other Thoughts: This was my very first course I ever played on, so I will hold it dear to my heart. It beat the living crud out of me as a newbie, and if you are fresh out the box, be patient. I would suggest cut your teeth at Kerieakes or Preston Miller first if you are in BG before you tackle this technical course. However, what a historic, fine course this is. It will always be my "must" play everytime I travel back to my old college town.

Fun wooded course

1    5/10/2009   7/22/2010
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays through a hilly and wooded park that seemed to have no conflicts between disc golf and other park uses. The elevation is great here, none of the hills are severe, but nearly every hole plays up, down or across a hill to add challenge and variety to the course. There are some fun shot shapes that require you to hit different lines if you want to stay out of the thick rough lurking on most holes. Several greens have some roll away potential adding to the challenge and fun.

There are concrete tee pads, and decent signs that make the course easy to follow with no major navigational issues. The property seemed fairly well maintained with no trash or graffiti around. The baskets were showing some wear, but caught fine.
Cons: The course is a little short, without any real distance. There is enough challenge from the woods to make up for it, but some length would add a little more variety. The course felt a little heavy on RHBH hyzer shots, some more balance in hole shape would be nice. The tees are a little small, and some were cracked making for a little uneven footing at times. A few holes play a little too close to the park road, taking away from the secluded feel of the holes deeper in the woods and potentially causing some safety issues. There are several blind holes, so you'll do a little extra walking to know where to throw, and a spotter comes in handy at times.
Other Thoughts: This is a fun, old school course with great wooded holes and nice elevation. Beginners will find it a little tight and punishing, but a reasonable length. More experienced players won't find much length, but enough technical woods shots to keep it challenging and interesting. This one's definitely worth a stop when you're in the Bowling Green area.

No longer 9 holes- Now 18!

1    9/6/2009   9/7/2009
Review By: lynx2324
Pros: Nice and short technical shots with trees in play. Longer holes can be deuced. Hole number two was a bit ridiculous but can 3'd. Shot a 51 my first time playing there. Fairly easy but fun with elevation.
Cons: Enjoyed it... not any cons that stood out
Other Thoughts: A few ace runs! Go for em!

Oldie But Goodie

5+    4/28/2009   6/28/2009
Review By: LStephens
Pros: I'm a lover of moderate length, tight and technical courses. If this doesn't appeal to you then this isn't the course for you. The average hole is around 240ft in length and most fairways are tight. This makes an excellent course for you to work on your Roc or Buzzz shots. I can't think of a single hole that is a 'signature hole' but the entire course flows very nicely and the sum of the parts is less than the total you feel at the end. At the end you feel like you've been rewarded with a wonderful day of disc golf in the park.

No where did I feel like I was playing the same hole twice. Each hole presented a new challenge. I was asked to really use my entire game..except for a back hand driver. The method of flowing from openess to woods and woods to openess was used well here. A 240ft hyzer that starts in the open and finishes in the woods that requires a soft touch on an overstable driver is completely different than the same exact angle and distance on a hole that starts out tight wooded and finishes in the open.

Some say it doesn't offer much in elevation changes...I think maybe they need to play the course again...there is no elevation that makes you catch your breath after a long walk up a hill...however...most holes are uphill or downhill or over a slight rise...very few are actually flat.

This is the one course in Bowling Green that PDGA divisions will complain about when their division doesn't get to play here for the Bowling Green Amateur Championships. For most people, Hobson Grove IS the reason to come to Bowling Green, KY. Pros love it, Ams love it. Coupled with Lovers Lane it is a great day of disc golf.
Cons: It does have old teepads and baskets...but I don't think it really matters. I've never had a problem with the tees and the baskets catch my good putts and aces.

It probably needs some modern and clean restroom facilities for the ladies. If we are going to get more women in disc golf...we need to have clean and modern restrooms.
Other Thoughts: Like I said above, Hobson Grove is the reason many people come and play in the Amateur Championships at Bowling Green. The divisions that don't get to play here gripe and moan and I understand their anguish. It is a fun and challenging course. Many times you will shoot a nice -6 or better in practice only to be humbled with a positive score in the tournament.

If you are ever remotely near Bowling Green, KY this is a must stop. The course may not be a modern pro caliber course...but pros will find it fun none the less..and ams will thoroughly enjoy it as well.

Update for 2009

2-4    2/6/2009   2/26/2009
Review By: dpennycuff
Pros: At the end of last year the signs (which were very bad), were replace with very nice DGA sponsor level signs. The maps are pretty decent if you have not played there before.

This is a very good course to work on your short game control and accuracy. There were only 2 holes that I pulled out a driver, and that was a monster for 2 hard left shots. In other words, the holes are of moderate to short distance, and the fairways are not too narrow for first year players.

If I was playing multiple courses for the day, I would pair this with the Lovers Lane course (for driving), or the Preston Miller course (for even tighter wooded fairways)
Cons: I played this course my third time ever playing disc golf, and obviously my game was no where near ready for this course. The course destroyed me so completely that it took me several months before I was ready to give this course another try. So, if you are very new, do yourself a favor and skip this course until you have a month or so of playing under your belt.

The low areas of the course take awhile to dry out, so if it has rained in the last couple of days, be prepared for some muddy areas.

In the summer the roughs do grow pretty thick with their fair share of briers, so wearing pants would not be unreasonable.