Bowling Green, KY
Uploaded By: SimonCarr Hole #13

My very 1st course I played

5+    10/25/2009   7/27/2010
Review By: absolutdork
Pros: Nostalgic. Very first course built in Bowling Green. Easy to navigate and decent elevations up and down. Very technical wood lines to throw into, and except for hole #2, all holes aren't so long that the hills beat you up.
Cons: The tee box signs really need to be removed and reinstalled. Just too basic for me, but I guess basic is all about the older courses, and this course is just a mere two years younger than my 33 year old butt haha. The last time I played the course, next to the barn by the teepad on #17, they had stacked random bricks next to it for no apparent reason. I really hope they have moved them because it was an eyesore to me.
Other Thoughts: This was my very first course I ever played on, so I will hold it dear to my heart. It beat the living crud out of me as a newbie, and if you are fresh out the box, be patient. I would suggest cut your teeth at Kerieakes or Preston Miller first if you are in BG before you tackle this technical course. However, what a historic, fine course this is. It will always be my "must" play everytime I travel back to my old college town.

Fun wooded course

1    5/10/2009   7/22/2010
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays through a hilly and wooded park that seemed to have no conflicts between disc golf and other park uses. The elevation is great here, none of the hills are severe, but nearly every hole plays up, down or across a hill to add challenge and variety to the course. There are some fun shot shapes that require you to hit different lines if you want to stay out of the thick rough lurking on most holes. Several greens have some roll away potential adding to the challenge and fun.

There are concrete tee pads, and decent signs that make the course easy to follow with no major navigational issues. The property seemed fairly well maintained with no trash or graffiti around. The baskets were showing some wear, but caught fine.
Cons: The course is a little short, without any real distance. There is enough challenge from the woods to make up for it, but some length would add a little more variety. The course felt a little heavy on RHBH hyzer shots, some more balance in hole shape would be nice. The tees are a little small, and some were cracked making for a little uneven footing at times. A few holes play a little too close to the park road, taking away from the secluded feel of the holes deeper in the woods and potentially causing some safety issues. There are several blind holes, so you'll do a little extra walking to know where to throw, and a spotter comes in handy at times.
Other Thoughts: This is a fun, old school course with great wooded holes and nice elevation. Beginners will find it a little tight and punishing, but a reasonable length. More experienced players won't find much length, but enough technical woods shots to keep it challenging and interesting. This one's definitely worth a stop when you're in the Bowling Green area.

Tight but fun

2-4    4/11/2010   4/12/2010
Review By: gdub58
Pros: - Interesting design with lots of elevation changes and tight fairways.
- Good mix of RH and LH holes, and is one of the more LH-friendly courses I've played
- Lots of large, mostly-buried rock formations add some interesting obstacles and can give you some big skips.
- Definitely the kind of course you want to play multiple times once you learn the proper lines, and its short, compact design makes that easy. Can be addicting because you know a really low score is out there regardless of how far you can throw it.
Cons: - Tee pads are really inconsistent. Some are way too small, some are cracking, and they are probably quite slippery once they get wet.
- Baskets showing some age.
- The lines on a few holes are really hard to see and a couple are non-existent. Just because it's a really short hole doesn't mean it should have no gaps.
Other Thoughts: Fun little course next to a ball golf course. While some reviewers have mentioned #2 as being out of place (a double-dogleg true par 4 surrounded by a lot of short holes), I thought it was a great hole. 13 is also significantly more challenging then the rest of the course, and that one takes a few rounds to figure out.

While there was no wind to speak of while we were playing, the locals said that was not typical for the time of year. And, since there is a fair amount of OB I can see that adverse conditions would really make a difference.

Navigation wasn't too bad, but a map would certainly be helpful in a couple of spots.

Quite hilly, so if wet I'm sure this course wouldn't be nearly as enjoyable to play.

Fantastic Course

2-4    2/13/2010   2/25/2010
Review By: discgolphinmafaukner
This review was updated on 10/16/2010
Pros: Hobson Grove is a heavily wooded course circling the old Hobson House in Bowling Green, Ky. The course is heavily wooded; some of the holes are set in wooded areas while the rest run through bigger, mature trees. Elevation plays a big part in adding difficulty to this course. Hole 2 is a par 4 that doesn't really fit but adds a little variety. The new tee signs look great! Plenty of OB and mandos to keep you honest on the more open holes.
Cons: The tee pads could be improved. They are slick when wet and could be longer and wider.
Other Thoughts: If you're making a trip to bowling green, this course is to be included! The course is great and the Hobson House adds a historical feelilng.
Pictures cannot do this course justice in october! This course is a MUST PLAY in October!

Fun and Challenginf Little Course

1    2/13/2010   2/15/2010
Review By: gkeberhart
Pros: Lots of tight woods. Very intricate shots, that make you utilize all of your shots. It isn't a course where a bomber can pull away from the guys that have normal distance. The layout is convenient so that you never really walk to far away from the parking lots in the event that you don't have the chance to complete the round. Concrete pads that are farily long so you dont feel like you are shorted.
Cons: The course wasnt taking well to moisture, it created a lot of mud holes. It also left you prone to slips and trips which could lead to injuries for some. On hole 17 there are piles of bricks right next to the tee box, if you aren't careful you can hit them essestially causing a 0' drive. While it was a pro to have concrete pads, some of them were in need of some repairs and were un-even. A lot of the pads were close to the previous hole's basket or another hole's fairway which meant you had to be on guard for flying objects from all angles.
Other Thoughts: Where did #2 come from, this hole really didn't fit with the rest of the holes. It was much longer and didn't quite match a lot of the shot styles as the rest of the course, regardless it was a fun hole and walking away with bogey is pretty good there. 13 and 14 were interesting holes and made you really work on distance as well as control. It was a great course to play and I would love to play it again.

Techie Course

2-4    4/8/2008   1/16/2010
Review By: ChrisWoj
Pros: Hobson Grove is incredibly technical. It has a nice par 4 2nd hole, and overall forced you to throw accurate shots. Much of the time those accurate shots are needed to avoid bogey - hit your shot or you're scrambling. The stretch of techie holes from 11-15 is a lot of fun, and the best challenge on the course outside of hole 2. Overall a nice variety of shots come into play.
Cons: The course teases you - hole 2 is a great par 4 hole. But you don't see any more par 4's on the course. I understand that this is meant to be a shorter more technical course, but hole 2 proves you can have par 4's without catering to big arms... and then the course doesn't build on it. It's a minor quibble, the course does what it is meant to do and does it well - but I would have liked a few more holes that required you to set yourself up for a second shot to the pin.
Other Thoughts: Overall it was another BG course that I enjoyed - maybe slightly less than some of the others. The only time through for me was a doubles round, but I did pull off a hole in one on hole one. I enjoyed my small amount of time on one of the classic Bowling Green, Kentucky courses.

Bowling Greens Legend

5+    11/22/2009   12/3/2009
Review By: skottyb
Pros: I play this course every time I go to Bowling Green, I mean everytime. My lady goes to visit her sister so I beg to make a stop here. It plays fast and is very easy to navigate. The course is set around the Old Hobson House, which is a beautiful site to have for a backdrop to the course. The flow of the course is very nice, it starts off at the bottom of the hill with a short anhyzer and then sticks you in the belly of the beast. Hole 2 is a great par 4 esque hole that will test you, a 3 on this hole is doing well. Not that it's impossible but its a well rewarded 3 and happens to be my favorite hole on the course. The course then goes into more wooded shots on the front 9, mostly short but wooded at that. It is very easy to pick up some birdies through here but you have to hit your lines. The back 9 starts off back at the parking lot and gives you a few different looks but mostly its wood shots again. Not that this is a con because wood shots are my favorites. The last time I went there the tee signs were all redone and they look NICE!! Some of my favorites that I have ever seen, it surely knocked up my rating of this course.
Cons: Teepads, some are unlevel and cracked so you have to watch your footing coming off the box. The course is so old though that I can't really fault it for having subpar tee boxes, it kind of brings the whole old feeling too the course.
Other Thoughts: I have heard "rumors" that the local BG community wants to redo Hobson Grove, I beg you to leave it the same. I love the course with it and Keriekies I could play them ALL day. Thanks Bowling Green for your amazing courses, I just wish I could have the buffet of disc golf that you all enjoy.

No longer 9 holes- Now 18!

1    9/6/2009   9/7/2009
Review By: lynx2324
Pros: Nice and short technical shots with trees in play. Longer holes can be deuced. Hole number two was a bit ridiculous but can 3'd. Shot a 51 my first time playing there. Fairly easy but fun with elevation.
Cons: Enjoyed it... not any cons that stood out
Other Thoughts: A few ace runs! Go for em!

NIce course

1    7/11/2009   7/12/2009
Review By: craigd
Pros: This course is quite an enjoyable course set on the historic Hobson House property. It is fairly scenic and if you like wooded holes then you'll defiantly enjoy the atmosphere. It plays through a mixture of somewhat open holes along with predominantly wooded holes and should be appreciated by players of all skill levels. The holes may be comparably short but with the variety of shots required you'll hardly notice, that is unless you love to really "air it out" a lot. There is a fair mix of left and right shots with maybe a slight lean favoring right hand, back hand shots. Those are the holes where accurate hyzers along with skill and placement are really needed to score low. That is not to say anhyzers are not needed because they are. You will find several out here. There are also some fairly tight holes where a little luck will be embraced too. But over all it really is a good mix. Some slight elevation changes will also add to the assortment of hole types as well.

Concrete tee pads, signs, and a few benches here and there add to the attractiveness of the course in general. The tee pad for fifteen was really nice. It is "Y" shaped and and points you towards two very distinct lines to the basket. Parking is also convenient and quite accessible from holes 1, 9/10, and 18. The baskets are also in good enough shape to serve their purpose well enough. Over all this is a solid course and the fun factor is high enough for everyone to have a great time.
Cons: Heavy shule if you find yourself outside the fairways and older pads are the biggest cons. Clean/convenient bathrooms would have been nice. There are trashcans, five gallon buckets, and other trash receptacles around but I noticed people were still hiding trash in the woods. Hollow tree stumps seemed to be the favorite. It sort of takes away from the overall "vibe" of the course.

There is a half dozen or so pallets of bricks stacked up against the old shed to the right of seventeens tee pad. While it is a unique obstacle and effects your shot, I don't like artificial obstacles at all. I understand from a local they have been there for a while now. Surprisingly, they didn't even get moved for the Am Championship.
Other Thoughts: I had a great time out here at the Hobson House. This clean and safe course should be enjoyed by all. If you are in the Bowling Green area then I highly recommend you give this one a shot. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Enjoy!

Oldie But Goodie

5+    4/28/2009   6/28/2009
Review By: LStephens
Pros: I'm a lover of moderate length, tight and technical courses. If this doesn't appeal to you then this isn't the course for you. The average hole is around 240ft in length and most fairways are tight. This makes an excellent course for you to work on your Roc or Buzzz shots. I can't think of a single hole that is a 'signature hole' but the entire course flows very nicely and the sum of the parts is less than the total you feel at the end. At the end you feel like you've been rewarded with a wonderful day of disc golf in the park.

No where did I feel like I was playing the same hole twice. Each hole presented a new challenge. I was asked to really use my entire game..except for a back hand driver. The method of flowing from openess to woods and woods to openess was used well here. A 240ft hyzer that starts in the open and finishes in the woods that requires a soft touch on an overstable driver is completely different than the same exact angle and distance on a hole that starts out tight wooded and finishes in the open.

Some say it doesn't offer much in elevation changes...I think maybe they need to play the course again...there is no elevation that makes you catch your breath after a long walk up a hill...however...most holes are uphill or downhill or over a slight rise...very few are actually flat.

This is the one course in Bowling Green that PDGA divisions will complain about when their division doesn't get to play here for the Bowling Green Amateur Championships. For most people, Hobson Grove IS the reason to come to Bowling Green, KY. Pros love it, Ams love it. Coupled with Lovers Lane it is a great day of disc golf.
Cons: It does have old teepads and baskets...but I don't think it really matters. I've never had a problem with the tees and the baskets catch my good putts and aces.

It probably needs some modern and clean restroom facilities for the ladies. If we are going to get more women in disc golf...we need to have clean and modern restrooms.
Other Thoughts: Like I said above, Hobson Grove is the reason many people come and play in the Amateur Championships at Bowling Green. The divisions that don't get to play here gripe and moan and I understand their anguish. It is a fun and challenging course. Many times you will shoot a nice -6 or better in practice only to be humbled with a positive score in the tournament.

If you are ever remotely near Bowling Green, KY this is a must stop. The course may not be a modern pro caliber course...but pros will find it fun none the less..and ams will thoroughly enjoy it as well.