Lisle, IL
Molex - Lisle Campus DGC Share
Uploaded By: notapro Hole #2 (Taken 6/2012)
Hole #2 Fairway

Fun 9 At The Molex Campus!

1    6/27/2016   6/29/2016
This review was updated on 6/30/2016
Pros: Molex is a large electrical, engineering company producing super conductors and what not. They have installed a sweet little recreational course for their employees to play at lunch and other times.

The course is set up in a small, green park area across the street from their guest parking lot. The site has nice rolling hills and plenty of trees. There are no tee pads for the first three holes. There are tee pads for the final holes but they more resemble planter boxes than pads. I chose to tee off beside them. The baskets are a pretty rusty red color. It says Molex on the rim and has the hole #. There are no tee signs.

I really couldn't figure where the first tee pad is located. Even when I located and back tracked, I was still a little confused. After that, I just kind of played basket to basket.

Although mostly very short, # 4 stretch to about 300' playing to a basket in the far corner. # 7 was a very pretty and challenging hole. It's about 270 and throws over a small gully and then again over an even smaller gully/ditch. At the same time, you need to keep your drive low to clear quite a few tree branches.
Cons: No tee area usually drives me a little crazy. And I don't care to play basket to basket.

No tee signs.

# 1 & 3 are both around 100'. The rest of the holes probably average around 240' or 250'. So it's longer than a pitch and putt.

Could be a problem if there were more than one group on the course. But I seriously doubt if that's ever a concern here.

I hadn't read that holes 3 and 9 shared the same basket. Knowing that would have helped my navigation here. Knowing Niko wouldn't have helped my throwing.
Other Thoughts: It's great that they are providing a recreation opportunity for their employees. Even better, they selected disc golf. This course is actually pretty entertaining. If I was a Molex employee, I'm sure this would be my lunchtime activity.

There were very few parking spots available. I scored one of last visitor's spot. I'm not sure what you would do if all the spots were filled.

I Wish I Worked Here!

1    11/24/2012   11/26/2012
Review By: Jukeshoe
Pros: - Molex is an odd but fun course tucked neatly into the extremely well-manicured campus of global electronics giant Molex. Private, but playable by the general public.
- The design makes a heroic effort at squeezing out every last bit of potential awesomeness available on such a tiny bit of land. The course plays back and forth over the same stretches of land repeatedly, making this course a utter nightmare of a snarl if ever there were several groups playing simultaneously; however, this is necessary to get nine fairly decent holes and also probably rarely happens, as the course shows very few signs of play. The design even presses one basket into double-duty, serving as both #'s 3 and 9. The flow of the course is fairly obvious, and while tee signs don't exist, things are laid out in such a way that anyone who enjoys disc golf and has an imagination can add, expand, and alter holes as needed to get quite a few more interesting looks than just the intended course layout.
- Enough of the lazily-rolling grassy elevation comes into play to keep things from being two-dimensional. #1's basket sits on a small slope that drops off to a tiny drainage pool. #3's (which also serves as #9's) basket sits between two grassy "landscaping hills." #'s 6, 7, and 8 all have the gently rolling terrain come into play, creating some variety in the topography and instilling a bit of character.
- Great use of the available trees. The dual purpose basket has the branches of a large tree overhead, creating a very low ceiling and adding a nice touch. #5's basket is located by a small shaded sitting area (replete with decorative bushes), #6's fairway forces a shot around several mature trees to the left, and #7's basket sits between a triad of mature trees.
- Decent variety in hole lengths really help this course avoid pitch-and-putt mindlessness.
- Several tees are made of the same crushed red rock that comprises the pathways, kept meticulously in small wooden boxes. The tees were in great shape with the exception of #5's, which was tucked away under some trees and thus completely buried in autumn leaves. No ruts and hardly any signs of wear.
Cons: - #'s 1 and 2 do not have obviously recognizable tee areas. This was actually kinda cool once we decided to roll with it and make the first two tees up on our own. Several options exist with a bit of imagination.
- There are no signs. The flow seemed pretty obvious in most places, even with the basket that serves as two holes' pin. Those who absolutely need signs telling them where to go and what to do next should avoid this course at all costs.
- The course has to be pretty much unplayable if anyone else is using the park. I'm not sure how often employees use it for breaks and such, but I can imagine it's a major conflict. Might want to save this one for the weekend, a holiday, or another non-workday time frame.
Other Thoughts: - Considering Molex's employee-oriented approach to this private piece of land, it's obvious that the DGC is merely an enhancement to the land and not the main attraction. As such, I bent my typical grading scale a little bit on this one*. Molex is plain fun. I largely over-looked the lack of signage, the horrible over-lapping of holes, and the blatant disregard for anything resembling a safe layout. I think Molex actually succeeds in the design more than it fails. The design is ambitious considering the available space, the golf is decent enough, and it largely accomplishes what it sets out to do: provide
one or two lucky employees at Molex some of the sweetest lunch breaks available. Kudos.
- *Please note: if this course saw more traffic than it currently does, or was public in nature, I would have rated this course much more harshly, especially considering the hazards of over-lapping and crossing fairways and greens. In my normal rubric for course-grading, it would receive a half-disc rating.

If you're in the area...

2-4    10/12/2010   4/18/2011
Review By: chillis
This review was updated on 3/27/2014
Pros: The possibility of variety here is high! There's a freestyle element here, you can choose lines and create here. I really appreciate this approach! Add in a portable basket, and this area is prime for some freestyle disc golf. Because of these points, I feel there can be a good deal of challenge here!
I like the feeling of seclusion, too. You're only a hundred feet away from busy Ogden, and it's nice and quiet back there.
Mostly tight shots to make, the ceiling isn't open at all. Shot-shaping in effect here. (deff +)
Small, clean park with hills to provide a little environment tweak.
Cons: No t-pads to speak of. So, grip can be an issue here. This irks me because I utilize a lengthy wind-up, and the possibility of slipping on the grass is ever-present.
No signs either.
The travel lines on the course are goofy, and cross each other frequently. I've never seen another group here, so traffic is unlikely to be a problem.
Other Thoughts: This is handy to have in the area. My crew brings their portable basket here and creates a new 9 each time. Can be fun!

Park in the back (near 1st tee)
&
Respect the area, please!

nice

1    1/12/2011   1/12/2011
Review By: ratoon
Pros: well it is brand new the baskets are really nice. the layout is the best you can do with the space.
Cons: just the obvious like no signs tee pads or really any direction on where to go.Even though the baskets are numbered which helps.
Other Thoughts: this course has a lot of potential. I am personally happy because there really isnt to much around this area in the way of disc golf. So thank you for another good course.