Princeton, TX
Community Park/WWII P.O.W.Camp Share
Uploaded By: matk26 Hole #2 (Taken 1/2011)

could be a decent course

1    5/21/2014   5/23/2014
Review By: dreadlock86
Pros: -discatchers, if they're there
-basic signs, if they're there
-concrete on some pads
-course map at the kiosk
-lots of interesting topography in the park
-bathrooms, abundant parking, ball fields, etc.
Cons: -totally overgrown
-baskets missing on 1, 2, 5 (i think), 7 (i think), and 9
-creek uncrossable
Other Thoughts: The kiosk next to the parking lot has a sign indicating that the course is currently closed. If you choose to ignore it (unadvised) then there is also a map of the course.

This could be a pretty decent 9 hole if it were cared for at all. Unfortunately it seems like the city has given up on it. The baskets that are there are in good condition. There are concrete pads on 1-4 (that are generally too small and sometimes facing the wrong direction), natural pads on 5-7, and I'm not sure about the last two. There is a bit of a downhill drive on the first hole and you have to cross the creek on hole 3. I love the look of the canopied meadow through which hole 4 plays.

I was really trying to make the best of this course and I did up until I got to hole 7. Being completely overgrown I had no idea where to go, where the basket was, if the basket were there, or if I could even cross the creek once I trampled through a jungle to get there. Previous reviewers have stated that it was already crazy crossing the creek so I wasn't really thrilled about trying to do it under present conditions. So that meant walking all the way back around the way I came to get back to the front of the park. By that time I was through wasting my time so I didn't check out 8 & 9 but it looked like 9's basket was missing.

With the appropriate renovations, maintenance, and some local love this could be a good course for what it is. Until then, there is a good reason the course is closed.

**Like this review? Hate it? Message me and let me know why! I want to make them better!**

What A waste of baskets

1    2/23/2013   2/23/2013
Review By: Discengineer
Pros: Has Good Baskets
Cons: No Map, No Idea of where to go, start.. Couldnt find number 2, five basket didnt exist, 7 was insanely stupid and no 9.
Other Thoughts: Would of been better anywhere else. Compares to Mountain Creek. Very sad. but was on the list.. so played

Gone Downhill

1    1/1/2012   1/3/2012
Review By: texasNUKE
Pros: Open for big hyzers
Adventurous types?
Good baskets
Cons: Missing baskets on holes two and nine(stolen)
Missing signs(and you definetely need them to know where your going)
Not well maintained
Recently added concrete teepads are way too small
Flooding
Need a trail expert just to navigate thru some of the creeks especially trying to get from hole seven to hole eight
Other Thoughts: Potential is there if all the land at hand was used properly possiby a 18 hole course

Meah

2-4    4/17/2011   7/6/2011
Review By: Roc1Time
Pros: It an ok course that has some potential if redesigned. It is a pretty open course except for a couple holes.The tee signs are nice and seem to be accurate as well. It is friendly for the righty and it is also friendly to many different skill levels.The baskets are new and therefore in great shape. Elevation is used very well for the little there is. Very easy to follow which takes a little of anger out of the adventure.
Cons: Very rough and the middle holes are so overgrown that you cant really play them. No way to cross the creek unless you have watched Man vs Wild and taken tips from Bear. No trashcans out here either. Not very much shade either. DO NOT play after a rain!
Other Thoughts: There is tons of land out here to use but only 9 holes. There are no courses near here so unless you happen to be driving by, not really worth the trip.

Can We Say: MACHETE!

1    5/16/2011   5/20/2011
Review By: Donovan
Pros: This course has open holes, sparse tree holes, wooded holes, some elevation, water/creeks, and grass rough. The signs are awesome and the baskets are fantastic. The flow of the layout is not too bad and the one heavily wooded hole was a tough accuracy hole.
Cons: I know some of this is seasonal and if I play it again after more improvements have been made, I will update this. This course has lots of ridiculously tall grass, lots of mud, and really needs some bridges. The grass was so bad at times, you had to walk slow and really look at where you were going. I saw 3 snakes the day I was here. "2 black bull snakes and a black snake with yellow stripes, but I'm just saying." (LOL) Anyway…the other course I played this day were dry, but this one was still really muddy. I am sure it will dry up eventually. Crossing the creeks was a bit crazy. There needs to be some kind of bridge. (I almost didn't finish. You need to be in good shape to complete a round here in the current conditions.) The tee is marked by a white painted log. It was not too hard to spot, until the grass got too tall. Look where the next tee is on the signs, so you don't struggle with navigation on the middle holes. No bathroom or trashcans as of yet.
Other Thoughts: The fun factor was not happening. This is a new course and deserves another shot. I did not rate this course on mud or snakes. It just seemed like a right-hand, backhand, hyzer shot on "almost" every hole was all you needed. I don't know if this course is done being worked on, but I am not inclined to come back at this point. I love that they put a course at this park; it just needs some TLC.

Oh boy

1    3/8/2011   3/21/2011
Review By: Pizza God
Pros: Great Tee signs

Great Baskets

A few good holes
Cons: very unlevel grass tee pads with a log to trip you up in your follow though.

Several boring holes

Hole #4 is the best hole, but has a mandatory.

No way to cross the creeks.
Other Thoughts: First off let my say that there was not a lot to work with out there. I am sure the course designers did the best they could with the land given.

But with that said I would not play this course again.

Hole #1 is a boring shot with the only tree's in play near the basket.

Hole #2 is a wide open long shot with zero trees

Hole #3 was an OK hole but had a lot more potential.

Hole #4 has a mandatory. I personally do not believe that a mandatory has a place in recreational disc golf course. Rec players ignore them. But the hole is the best hole on the course.

Holes #5 and 6 are basically the same shot. Hard short hyzer.

Hole #7 is a ridiculous hole though jail. There is not really a fairway to speak of and you had better not be off that small line. (the course is still very new and the rough is very rough as my legs will show you)

#8 and #9 are run of the mill disc golf holes that had nothing special about them.

There is a lot of room out there. There was a lot of area that looked good for a few holes that were not used. As far as I know, that area was off limits.

It's REALLY new!

2-4    2/16/2011   2/16/2011
Review By: eegor
This review was updated on 9/4/2011
Pros: The signs provided by Dynamic Discs were really nice and necessary.
The Mach 3 baskets are the best anywhere.
If you're right handed (backhand), you will love it. Invite your left handed friends... and bring your Banshee.
Holes 4 and 7 are top notch. Fun to play and worth traveling to.
Cons: Hole 5 is not ready for prime time (as of 2/16/11). It's still overgrown (what has been cut has not been removed) and it's muddy. (It hasn't rained for some time... troubling, but the Texas summer will take care of that).
The sign on #7 doesn't show the creek at about 150 feet from the tee. I threw past it, but had to find a place to cross.
Another creek between 7 and 8 needs a bridge. I added some logs to the creek bottom so this 50 year old could navigate it, but that's not the solution.
Too many big RHBH hyzers from the tee. Lefties will not be happy here.
Tees are still grass, but won't be for long.
Other Thoughts: This will end up being a fun little 9 hole course. It's still very early in the development, but will be a solid little practice course in a year or two.

When you go to the parking lot, the course is downhill by the old pavilion in the field.

Play it if you're in the area, but the courses in McKinney have it way outclassed.

A Great Start

1    1/29/2011   2/10/2011
Review By: DGRZ001
Pros: The next tee can be found with no too much effort (especially if you look at the previous tee sign for indications as to where the next tee is, which I neglected to do). There was not any excessive walks between holes and hole 9 finished not too far from hole 1. The baskets are new and are in great shape, and they all happened to be assembled correctly.
Cons: This is expected on most brand new courses, but the tees are rudimentary (grass with a board marking the front).

Looking at the land, it pretty much necessitated either a clockwise or counterclockwise progression of the holes, and since counterclockwise was chosen, there is a preponderance of right to left shots from the tee. The ones that are not could be attacked from both sides, except for hole #4, which, because of a mandatory in front of the tee, must be thrown from left to right. I didn't see any need for a mandatory on this hole, except to create a hole that needs to be thrown left to right, to help to counterbalance the other holes.

There were no bridges going over the creek, that is crossed on a couple of holes, necessitating either a long walk to the street, or an attempt to ford the stream, which could be a little tricky.
Other Thoughts: The course is brand new, and I expect it to improve in time, especially with amenities such as bridges, which are needed.

Unfortunately, the land itself is the limiting factor from this course ever becoming a 5, but I think the course designers did a fine job with what they were given, and I am confident that future reviewers will tend to give this course a higher rating, as improvements are made to it. I drove 40+ miles to play it, and I glad I did. There were already some locals playing (rec players), and they gave me an ego boost with their compliments, and I was able to give them some pointers to significantly improve their throwing. Hopefully, some other experience players will make their way out there, and encourage the locals they meet up with, and we will have a club starting up there.

I don't put many reviews on here, despite my experience and number of courses played. If you find inaccuracies with my review, please let me know.

Nice little 9 hole course

1    1/22/2011   1/25/2011
Review By: matk26
Pros: Excellent shot variety on a mostly open course and a creek is in play on most shots. There are also some slight elevation changes so this is not a typical nine hole course IMO. Good signs for each hole and they also include directions to the next hole.
Cons: Course is muddy (especially number 5) and the tee boxes are dirt. The creeks need bridges and a few hidden trails need signs.
Other Thoughts: I drove out from Carrollton on Saturday to play and was pleasantly surprised. The course info could provide a better description of hole one (its by the pavillion near the parking lot- opposite from the basketball courts). While the course could use some improvements, I think most of the "cons" will be fixed since its a new course. I will definately make the drive again soon but I will still play Towne Lake for a real challenge.