West Chicago, IL
Kress Creek Farms Share
Uploaded By: jenco Hole #4 (Taken 10/2011)
-- / --   3 / 315ft.   3 / 315ft.   -- / -- Par / Distance:

< Prev 1 2 3
Meh

2-4    7/25/2014   7/30/2014
Review By: SneakyJedi
Pros: - Reasonable mix of open and wooded holes
- Nice, isolated plot of land
- Good distance, let's you open up your arm
Cons: - Tall grass as rough means lost discs or a long time spent looking for them.
- Very few holes with any actual line shaping
- No concrete teepads
- Almost all the signage on posts is completely destroyed or unreadable
Other Thoughts: I last played this course with 3 other people and we are by no means beginners. However, even employing spotters, we lost track of several discs into the long grass being used to shape fairways. This does not make for a fun round of disc golf. we probably spent half an hour wading through the rough looking for our plastic, lost one disc, and easily could have lost more.

The strong winds during most of the round didn't help in our attempt to keep discs out of the long grass, but it has been windy every time I have gone here, and that is likely a very common scenario with such open holes.

There are a handful of interesting holes once you get out of the open fields, but they are few and far between, and in my opinion not worth suffering the mostly boring open holes, many of which include the chance of losing discs.

The grass tee pads don't help matters providing a much less than ideal run-up as you are trying to drive.

I could understand frequenting this course if it was the only course near you, but for most people I imagine there are better options (Madison Meadows, Katherine Legge, Eagle Ridge, Wheeler Park, Central Park or even Highland Park for example)

Having recently moved, this is the closest park to me, but I am not sure I will return. Playing this course was only slightly better than going to the large field just to the north, and working on my drive where I do not have to spend 10min wading through tall scratchy grass filled with bugs. I would much rather spend an additional 10-15min in the car to play an enjoyable round of golf.

Distance Variety

1    9/7/2013   9/7/2013
Review By: jareddeanwilson
Pros: The course is located on a large lot of land that contains the course and a walking path, so the course is not very crowded at all.
You can use just about every disc in your bag as the distance ranges from 180ft-600ft. There is a good variety in the way the holes are set up: there are several that are fairly open, some that are fairly narrow guarded by trees, and several where prairie land, or marsh, come into play.
Cons: The tees are grass and not always clearly marked, I could not find all of the blue tees, and although I did not play from them, I only saw 2 or 3 of the red tees.

Other Thoughts: The prairie grass is extremely thick and if you throw a disc in it, you will be searching for a long time. There are several patches of prairie grass and it comes into play on half of the holes.

3.1

1    8/4/2013   8/4/2013
Review By: Jashwa
Pros: Very unique course... The park is huge and seems to be very isolated, which is a big plus because you don't really have to worry about over-congestion. The course design here uses the elevation on site and had several holes that were amazing... hole 6 comes to mind: a 300ish foot downhill shot with the green tightly guarded by a tunnel of trees. I threw like four discs on that hole because it was so much fun.

The variety was great. Overall the park is fairly open, but the trees are used pretty well here.
Cons: I was mentally writing my review praising the epic-ness of this course and was about ready to proclaim it as one of the true destination courses in the Chicago suburbs... then I got to hole 13. The stretch between holes 13 and 18 were some of the most miserable holes of disc golf that I'd ever played. Here are the issues that I had just with those six holes:

*Navigation... horrible. signs are not kept up, so the pieces of paper that have diagrams/distances were mostly gone. I skipped hole 14 because I had no idea where the basket was when I got to the tee.

*The GRASS! It's not too bad for most of the course but on this stretch it is ridiculous. First of all, why on EARTH is there no mowed grass around hole 13? The basket sits amidst a ton a tall grass like someone forgot about it. Holes 16-17 have very thick roughs and my legs are bleeding in multiple places because of it. It also robbed me of two discs :(

My home course is notorious for its horrible prairie grass roughs, but I felt like the grass on these holes was far less bearable and more painful to walk through

Even without this rough stretch of holes, I probably wouldn't have given this one higher than a 3.5...

*No teepads! Geez louise this would drastically improve the course.
*Overall, navigation was a little rough throughout the whole round. Tee signs were beat up/unreadable for the most part
*A few holes were just too wide open to be much fun
*I was by myself and was a little creeped out by the setting... heard some weird noises but didn't really see anyone around. I thought that something/someone was going to come out of the woods or out of the farm and chase me. Next time I'm bringing a friend to share my cowardice with.
Other Thoughts: SO CLOSE to being a suburban course worth going out of your way for. Teepads would greatly improve the course as would functional tee-signs.

Down on the Farm

2-4    6/1/2013   6/3/2013
Review By: #19325
Pros: This is a very open course with minor rolling hills. Slight elevation comes into play. Scattered trees are all over the park and some tall grass in areas. Wind rips across this park.

Navigation is pretty easy.

Newer Innova Discatcher baskets.

Wood poles with the hole # on them.

You get a chance to throw some distance drivers.

Hole #7 is a nice tunnel hole.
Cons: Without proper tees and tee signs having multiple tees is not ideal.

The basket of hole #15 is right in line of the tunnel shot #7. It takes away from the hole.

There is no easy crossing on hole #10. There was ankle deep water that you had to walk thru.

There is some really nice land where holes 13, 14, & 15 are. I felt that area was underutilized.

With the amount of large open l thought there could have been another par 4 or a possible par 5. An example is #5. There is a long walk over to 5. It could have been a 2 shot hole.

It's been a wet spring. We played the course the day after it rained. The natural tee pads are terrible.

We caught a bad time but the course had not been mowed in a few weeks. The grass was pretty tall.

The tee posts had some laminated tee signs. Most had been weathered and some were missing.
Other Thoughts: With the installation of solid tee pads I'd bump this up to a rating of 3.

My Home Course

5+    9/24/2012   9/27/2012
Review By: LeddZepp8687
This review was updated on 11/21/2012
Pros: -Lots of walking
-Mild elevation change that is not present at nearby courses
-Huge old oak trees that come into play in the earlier and later holes
-Plenty of holes where you can really arm some plastic
-Course has an odd secluded feel that is unique to the area
-While there are alot of wide open holes there are some holes that require either nice straight shots or hyzers or anhyzers or flicks.
Cons: -Lack of teepads... They did a good job getting this course up and running but they need to compliment their work by adding some pads. I emailed the director of parks and rec last spring about pads and he said they would have some in by early summer.. And it is now fall.
-The grass patch that exists between 16 and 17. That thing swallows discs and never spits em out. If your wearing shorts, forget it. Your legs will be cut to pieces by the razor grass.
-Some holes where distance is quite literally the only obstacle between you and the basket.
Other Thoughts: This is my home course, and it's responsible for getting me hooked on disc golf, So naturally I am partial to this course.

This course needs solid pads, Badly. I like playing here but it has come down to the point where I will go play other courses in the area simply because they have solid pads. The dirt pads here have been rutted out for as long as I can remember and when you have a run-up that you plan around starting and finishing points on a pad, that really messes with you.

kress creek update

5+    10/6/2012   9/26/2012
Review By: booradly
This review was updated on 10/9/2012
Pros: -good location on an old farm
-there are never crowds here even when the parking lot is full you rarely get stuck behind people
-hole 1 is an open field shot with a small hill that is just big enough so you cannot really see the basket from the tee off the only obstacle is a small patch of brush around an old tree about 15 feet to the right of the basket
-holes 2-3 are both fun holes that are underneath some massive oak trees but as long as you keep your shots low they don't effect your shots much
-hole six is surprisingly fun for an open shot. it shoots down into a valley and the only brush on the this hole are two 15 foot tall bushes on ether side of the basket.
-hole 7 is decently fun just a basic tunnel shot not very long and easy if you can throw a disc straight
-9,10,and 11 are all decent holes all three of them are short with some cover around them that makes you throw a decent line
-hole 13 if my favorite hole on the course it can be really hard to find if you have not played the course before being behind some tall bushes and some time after the course was put in a massive oak tree fell in front of it making it imposable to throw straight at but the left side is open and the right side has a small hole in the brush that can be thrown into if you have an accurate arm
-hole 14-15 are both very good holes for this course being similar to 2,3 also being under huge oak trees. the basket for 14 is also hard to see being behind some trees and thick brush but if you angel your shot ether way you can make it near the basket. 15 is still under the trees with the basket out in the open and there are some huge trees that make it hard to get a good line.
Cons: -just dirt pads that can be kinda rough
-can get very windy
-hole 5 is just an open field shot that does not even have much distance
-holes 8,12 are both just big bomber holes with a narrow fairway and prairie on both sides and with a strong wind can make for very long holes. but if you like longer holes you might like these two
-holes 16,17 eat discs. there is a marsh(not so much this year with the dry weather) with tall grass that i am constantly seeing people lose discs in and have spent many hours myself looking for shots that i threw poorly or that the wind took.
-18 is nothing special. it is just an open field up shot throwing up the hill that you threw down on hole 6.
Other Thoughts: -i play this course at least 2 times a week and although i am getting use to it i still find it to be decently challenging
-one of my good friends threw a disc into the woods off of 10 he told us to keep playing we are not sure if he found his disc but the police found his body three days later

Kress Creek Birdies

1    7/18/2012   9/18/2012
Review By: 4_Of_Spades
Pros: Located on an old farm. Unique location from other courses.

Nice length, but mostly open.

Some moderately wooded holes and longer open holes.

Good signs and baskets.

Has some narrow fairways and long grass to punish you for errant drives.

Challenging course due to its windiness and length, but still fun to play.

Good mix of RHBH, RHFH, and straight shots.
Cons: Big marsh with tall grass and weeds in the middle of the course that border a few holes.

Lost my disc in the marsh on hole 16 and found that a red-winged blackbird was hovering 5 feet above me. It then proceeded to keep dive bombing my dad and I from the trees between the basket for 16 and tee off for 17. Most scared I've been from a bird in my life. We ended up not playing these two holes as I had to sprint around the bend to pick up my dad's disc by the basket while trying to out run a dive bombing bird on my ass. Made it out safely but many other red winged black birds were spotted around the whole course. If you don't know, they are extremely aggressive and territorial so if you see one be prepared to defend yourself. They like to make nests in the marshy stuff on the ground because they are stupid and will defend that nest to the end. they are also a protected species so you can't hurt them. Also saw a kildeer bird on hole 5 and if you go near them, they act like they have a bum wing and flop around leading you away from the nest. When a predator goes for them they just fly away so they don't get the nest or the parent bird.

Anyways, weaker arms may not like this course. It was a fun course despite the many birds, but may not be beginner friendly, especially if there's a lot of wind.

No tee pads, hopefully they will add them.
Other Thoughts: This course was a fun time and I will be returning to play at some point. I enjoyed the setting of the course and the different challenges it provides and would recommend that people try it out at least once even without tee pads.

Long Holes!

1    7/28/2012   8/2/2012
Review By: DocHaole
Pros: Finally, a course in the area where you can really air it out. The course plays through some rolling hills and light to moderate woods and offeres a good mix of distances. The white tees are marked well with the post and the next tee arrows make navigation fairly easy. Although there are several wide open huge distance holes there are enough shorter wooded holes to give the accurate weaker arms a fighting chance.

Each hole has some sort of challenge. Whether is it trees elevation or shear distance the design makes you work for your score. I think this course is a good balance to the other new course in Geneva. Although it is not as manicured it offers a greater challenge in a more rugged setting. Having played both in the same day, I definitnely worked harder to save par at this course.
Cons:
Tee pads would be nice. . . I don't really care when the holes are short, but when you have these long open bombs, solid tee pads are a must.

The rough can be thick and full of ticks, I found 2 on my leg during my round, lyme disease is no fun. So be warned
Other Thoughts: This course is a great addition to the area that really needed an 18 holer with some good distance. As I said before it really is the ying to the yang of Geneva. When you want to throw shorter accurate throws on the freshly mowed grass go to Geneva. And when you want to take a hike through the tall grass and throw as far as you possibly can this is your place. With the addition of tee pads this will be an excellent course. The longer holes place more importance on making birdie when you get to the short ones.

Longest Course in the Area

5+    7/11/2012   7/11/2012
Review By: kevdiv48
This review was updated on 5/27/2014
Pros: Elevation, distance, variety of hole types, secluded setting, nice baskets, easy to follow holes, alternate tees
Cons: A few too many wide open bomber holes, some excessively rough rough, lack of concrete tees, poorly groomed alternate tees
Other Thoughts: All in all Kress Creek is an above average course. It utilizes a huge piece of land quite well to make a nice variety of holes and shot types. It is very spread out and long, so don't expect to play any speed rounds. A couple of improvements could really bring this place up to the next level. First, lay down some concrete tees. With it being so dry now it is not a big deal, but when it rains it is a mess. Also, a few trees or bushes planted on the bomber holes would really decrease the monotony.
Update 12/8/2012: Course is technically closed for construction on walking trail that winds through the plot of land. A few of the teepads have been negatively affected by this construction. Most of the long tees are completely covered by rough. Disappointing work done by the PD, but they claim it is still a work in progress.
Update 5/27/2014: No updates to design since new path was installed. Tees are rutted out and passable on dry days. Tee signs are mostly worn away. Long tees are not groomed. Rough is rough.
A lot of wasted potential here, the elevation is great, especially for the area. Concrete tee installation should be priority number one. If some trees were planted along the left side of 1's fairway (and the left side of 4's) it would greatly increase the quality of those two holes. Hole 5 also could use some some trees. Having to battle just the elevation and wind makes for a pretty bland hole.
This could easily be a 4 star course with those changes plus some more housekeeping.

A little bit of everything

1    7/10/2012   7/11/2012
Review By: geognerd
Pros: Rolling terrain. Red, white, and blue tees offer varying lengths and lines to the baskets. The different tees are marked. The wooded holes (#2, 3, 7, 14, 15) were the most enjoyable for me. These holes had a good length from the white tee and the right amount of trees posing an obstacle. There are posts pointing the way from one hole to the next. Colored tape wrapped around the basket points the way to the next tee. Navigation is pretty straightforward.
Cons: Several holes are wide open (#5, 8, 12, 17, 18); just throw as hard as you can. The terrain kept these holes from being totally boring, but there wasn't much to look at or throw around. I'd like to see some bushes planted. I threw about 6ft into some rough on the right side of #10. As I searched the tall grass, I found several ticks clinging to my pants. The red and blue tees would be easier to find if there was a stake or something sticking up. The markers sit below the grass and some were covered by dirt. The tee signs do give you a relative idea of where the alternate tees are, though.
Other Thoughts: Try your best to avoid throwing into the tall grass so you don't have to deal with the ticks. The white tees are easiest to find because they are right next to the tee signs. I'd like to see the fallen tree at #13 removed. The grass here grows in clumps, so my discs didn't get much skip after hitting the ground. I'd bump my rating up half a point if there was more to the long holes than just elevation changes.

< Prev 1 2 3