Lakewood, WA
Ambient DGC Share
Uploaded By: Tspody92 Hole #1 (Taken 4/2012)
3 / 158ft.   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

What a cool little course!

2-4    9/13/2014   9/14/2014
Review By: Seatown
Pros: -Theres a great balance of technical shots through wooded areas, and long bombs out in wide open spaces. It makes you feel as if youre playing 2 completely different 9's, and adds a degree of fun moving from one area to another that's completely different.

-Well maintained grounds with signage that does a great job of leading you from one hole to the next. There weren't any times where me and my group were left guessing on where to go

-Shot-wise, this course did an excellent job of forcing you to go with shots you may not normally try. Due mostly to the short hole distances and moderately forested back 9, its a very nice, welcome change from many of the local courses.

-The course feels like Aces could be had at every hole, and leaves you just far enough away to get you excited for the next. Its an excellent confidence builder for new players through advanced

-Relatively empty the day we came. It must get a lot of competition with Steilacoom being so close, but we were surprised/happy to see the park almost empty
Cons: - I didn't find any benches or legitimate garbage cans throughout the churches property, aside from bags brought in by other players. We found garbage on several holes and brought it along with us, which was a pain. Would have been nice to have several bins

-Laminated tee cards could be better, but its always nice to have 'something'! They are becoming weathered and will be hard to see soon enough.

-Randomly located church buildings and private housing are hazards that need to be avoided. The potential for broken windows, and discs getting stuck on the roofs is there, so beware. Many of the buildings are located VERY close to the fairway and holes, and often come into play.
Other Thoughts: A fantastic mix of holes for any DGer! The front 9 are a nice, open assortment of long shots, only made challenging by some oddly placed Mandos, occasional strong breezes and adjacent fenced properties. While the back 9 leads you through a tangle of well arranged hole in the nearby wooden area. It feels like the perfect course to bring your kids, a new player, or an old DG fanatic to.... no one will be left disappointed.

One major plus for our group was hole 9/18. Although shard by both tee's, it rarely becomes an issue. But makes for an extremely enjoyable Ace attempt, with both tee's sending you off towards the center island in the middle of the parking lot. The 9th requires a good hizer/an-H, or low shot to get beyond the trees/bushes, and the same for the 18th, but with more length & a higher shot. All-in-all, the perfect hole to end your day on IMO

Many thanks to the church and youth pastor there for taking it upon themselves to make this awesome little course a reality! Please be respectful of the property!

I'll definitely be back to Ambient, and have added it to my Favorites. If not for the drive, I'd play this course EVERY DAY. Period.

fun course

5+    8/2/2014   8/2/2014
Review By: jherber
Pros: just moved to Lakewood . been playing this course for a while . getting used to it .great group of people. front part of the course is open for the most part back nine is a tight playing part of the course
Cons: back nine has a lot of berry bushes if you land wrong you will get cut up from them
Other Thoughts: come play it if you want to play 18 holes in under an hour

2-4    7/19/2014   8/1/2014
Review By: steelheader
Pros: Has some technical holes. Short a good beginner course. The island green which played 2 holes is fun and challenging.
Cons: Over grown in places. Watch for OB's and private property. One of our guys. Can close to breaking a window the last time out

Training course

1    7/12/2014   7/14/2014
Review By: nwdiscgolfer
Pros: Fun pitch and putt practice course. Great for introducing beginners or practicing your alternative shots etc. Nice baskets and kept up fairly well
Cons: Holes 9 and 18 are rewarding for the intermediate to advanced golfers but way to frustrating for the beginners I have brought here.

Ambient

2-4    11/20/2013   12/20/2013
Review By: brandocommando9
Pros: Fun little course with lots of short technical shots.
Great signage.
Quick round.
Cons: Some holes are more novelty than anything else some are under 100 feet.
Other Thoughts: If you want to play a quick round at a technical course ambient is great.

Great hour of fun

1    8/1/2013   8/2/2013
Review By: longandwrong
Pros: Signs, signs and more signs! I wish every course had Ambients sign people. Lots of Mando's and out of bounds... good news they have great signs telling you were your drop zone/spot is. Great place to play a little birdie golf...with an ace in your mind. Hole number 14 has a bell! When you walk away from the basket you ring the bell to tell everyone the hole is clear. I think that could work at a lot of places also. Played Steilacoom first then came here...made for a fun morning.
Cons: Probably could use trash cans here and there. Some people put there trash on private property which will affect their attitude towards disc golf and the church. For a nice small course there really wasn't a bunch of cons. Bathrooms unknown, some churches allow you to use the churches.
Other Thoughts: Some of the course when it's the rainy season maybe a little soggy. Fun course!

Fun Course - Great for short game!

5+    10/22/2012   10/22/2012
Review By: Ambient
Pros: Great course for your short game! I enjoy the Various shot types you are challenged to throw. Course is marked out well and the property has a relaxed environment.
Playing Ambient has helped me a lot with my short game. You can get a lot of holes in, in a relatively short amount of time. Fun course!
Cons: Tee pads could be a little better. The turf works, but would be nice to have rubber or concrete in the future.
Other Thoughts: This course is being intentionally upgraded on a regular basis. I am looking forward to seeing this course continue to get better and better.

Just a nice course

1    8/29/2012   8/30/2012
Review By: Cipinc3
Pros: Varying hole difficulty fun for all. I like this place.long holes short holes an island hole what is not to like. Well marked well maintained.It was easy to navigate
Cons: Concrete tee pads would be nice
Other Thoughts: Triple aaa I think

Great little course for what it is

1    6/4/2012   6/5/2012
Review By: b-mart
Pros: Ambient makes me wish the church I grew up in had a course. They had way more space, a few trees with zero underbrush, and some brushy areas back by a river that could have been cleared out for the course. Now if I still lived in Indiana, I'd talk to the pastor and use this place as a blueprint. But this isn't Indiana. This is Tacoma. So:

The baskets are stellar. I would expect a course set up by a youth pastor to have some of those cheap baskets that are barely better than the ones that they have at Costco, but they got the good ones in here.

The navigation is great too. Every teepad has a sign with the distance, hole info, and the preferred line. The mandos are very clearly marked, and each hole is followed by a large wooden arrow leading you to the next hole. The only thing I would change would be the navigation to hole one (as that arrow is more difficult to find for a first time visitor) and hole 18.

I'm guessing that somebody involved in the setup of this course was an avid discer and has spent plenty of time over at Steilacoom. Not only are the baskets in great condition, but the setup of the course is very well done as well. They manage to take the "throw around an open field" feel of the front nine (which I abhor in most courses) and make it both fun and challenging. Despite the fact that there are no long holes on this course, the mandos add a nice element of challenge to the front nine.

Then you hit the back nine. This might be the shortest back nine in history. It makes Ferguson Park in Snohomish feel long. But it's probably the most technical back nine in history too, and that just makes it fun. I didn't have to throw a single driver on the final nine holes, but I only walked away with one birdie too. They did a phenomenal job with the limited amount of land available to them, and managed to create a fun 18 hole course for beginners that won't bore the more seasoned players too badly.
Cons: The teepads were terrifying. Using green fabric that reminds one of a putt putt course is great if it's sunny and dry, but since we aren't in California... I played on a grey day where only the grass was wet, so I didn't have any issues staying upright... But my focus was definitely more on the surface I stood on than it should have been. Several of the pads are too short for a runup too. Granted, you shouldn't need to run up on a 100' downhill hole, but it still needs to be pointed out. I highly recommend using gravel or rubber mats (or both) similar to the setup at Silver Lake in Everett if the church doesn't want to put in permanent pads.

I wouldn't go so far as to call the mandos unnecessary, but a few of them did feel like overkill. They added to the challenge and made me shape shots I would not have otherwise thrown, but placing the mandos on 2 and 7 did seem like a bit much.

The island hole of 9/18 is not a con in itself, but the fact that it's an island in a parking lot is an accident waiting to happen. I know from experience as a former teenager who skipped church or youth group to skate in the parking lot that teenagers do like to skip church. If I had been a discer back then and had had access to a course during church, I would have ignored the cars and gone for it anyway. I doubt that the parking lot is ever full if a service isn't happening, but it's still a dangerous place for a basket.
Other Thoughts: I see from past reviews that this course can get very wet and windy. Playing in June it wasn't bad at all, but don't be surprised if your experience with the elements doesn't match my own.

Watch out for the horse pen on hole one. It's a very short hyzer shot, but scout it out before you throw.

The teepad for hole 18 is on the sidewalk just like hole nine is. When you walk up the path from 17 you'll see a drop zone for OB shots on 18. Look to your right and you'll see a sign at the corner of the church towards the entrance to the parking lot.

Keep your eyes and ears open for other golfers. I doubt that the course will ever be full, but fairways do encroach on each other at times. The mandos are in place to protect others, but I've found that I have an uncanny ability to make a mando by three feet and then have the disc land in the area that the mando was protecting anyway. I'm probably not the only one with this amazing talent. So be vigilant, and be excited that you get to ring a bell on 14 to let the people behind you, the neighbors, and the horse know that you're done with that hole.

I was a bit confused by all of the drop zones. I've never played a course where you go to a drop zone after missing a mando. I've only seen drop zones for shots that land in water. I wasn't sure if I was expected to take a stroke and throw from the drop zone or if they think I should just go to the drop zone and play as if my drive had landed there. I just played it normally, ignoring the drop zones and taking strokes for missed mandos or landing in the parking lot (which I guess was technically water).

I almost wanted to add a con for the ridiculous shortness of the back nine, but the fact that they fit nine holes into such a small space is actually admirable... And the fact that those nine holes are actually challenging? Great job. This is a great course to help you work on your short game and to introduce new players to the game. Steilacoom is still the jewel of the area, but now residents of the area have another option if the Fort is packed or if they want somewhere to warm up. Ambient is definitely worth a return trip.

2-4    2/9/2010   2/12/2011
Review By: radsnowsurfer
This review was updated on 2/14/2011
Pros: Good variety in distance (160-345')
For a course without too many obstacles, it forces a good variety of shots hyzer and anhyzer.
Great little tee signs with OBs explained.
Navigation is simple, no map required, signs point to tee after each basket.
Mando's, if followed, do keep discs away from the most sensitive targets.
Nice brand new baskets.
The longer holes do give the course a good challenging factor for more advanced players.
Hole 9 is a fun signature island hole.
Overall, a good beginner course, especially when lined up with Steilly down the road.

Cons: Danger factor is present, two holes play directly near adjacent houses, church is also a target on one hole.
No tee pads, when wet they can prove quite hazardous.
Some of the mandos (hole 4, hole 7) feel very contrived.
Several parts of the course could have managed the space better to create safer, better, holes.
Overall, there aren't too many obstacles, numerous wide open shots.

Other Thoughts: It's great to see Tacoma getting another course to go along with Fort Steilacoom, and the church's efforts in creating a fun, effective course are clear. Although there are a few design flaws present, as other reviewers have pointed out, the houses directly adjacent to the course are owned by the church, so the choice to put them in the line of fire is their prerogative. Tee pads would be a solid addition considering their current state after just a few months of play. Although work can still be done on these nine holes, I'm excited to see if the church can work in another 9, especially considering that the area they plan to use is further from the church and houses. The parking lot had been brought up, but the four times I've played the course I've been the only person on the property, I'd be very surprised if crowding ever becomes an issue here. Finally, I'll side with The Valkyrie Kid on this one, this course deserves a 2 largely due to the "fun" factor, to me a 1 course is a course I'd never want to return to, as a Tacoma resident, I see this course as a great warm-up to a day a Steilacoom, or a nice place to come practice the short game, for such a small course, they manage to test your game and throw a few tricky long shots.