Clearwater, FL
Cliff Stephens Park Share
Uploaded By: RussMB Hole #24 (Taken 5/2013)
4 / 471ft.   -- / --   4 / 669ft. Par / Distance:
Hole #24 Short Tee (Formerly #18)

2-4    11/17/2012   11/17/2012
Review By: KimBrennan
Pros: This is a flat course, with mostly open holes (aka open compared to most courses I've played). Yes there are trees, but except for a couple of holes (the extra ones) there are plenty of choices on how to approach the basket.

At least 3 water fountains (very nice to be able to get potable water while playing). They had a couple of jiffy johns (not that I needed to use them.)
Cons: Water hazards on most holes (but not excessively so if you have good control). Very poor signage (first time I played I only played 16 of the 21 holes as I just couldn't figure out where the other holes where.) Heck, I missed #9!

On a weekend there are a LOT of other park users (though many seemed aware of the disc golfers playing).

Other Thoughts: I don't know why, but I was expecting a longer course. Except for 18, most of the holes seemed completely drivable, which leads me to question the distance claims on the tee signs (when there were signs.)

Once I knew where the baskets/holes where, I found it an enjoyable (but fairly quick) course. That first round was very much a hassle. The map was not the best (and doesn't indicate 3 of the holes. Tee signs were sometimes misleading as well (indicating the location of the short tees in the wrong locations, such as on 18).

I saw a lot of police presence, and some of the other (non-golfing) people in the park could possibly have been the reason for that presence. No incidents, but of note.

Variety

1    8/31/2010   9/5/2010
Review By: owvanguard
Pros: Variety : 4 This course is very varied with option on most hole as to where to shoot.
Ease of finding course : 4
Fun factor : 5 This course is lots of fun
Cons: Ease of finding next hole : 2 Hole 1 info was gone
Pin and tee box quality : 2
Hole info : 2 Holes 16 and 17 are confusing on which pad to shoot from and toward which pin.
Lost disc recovery : 2 This course has several holes over or near water. The aligator 5 feet from me was exciting.
Other Thoughts: Layout : 3 Hole 2 had 3 differnt pins in place.
Terrain management : 3
Beginner friendly : 3

Nice, but not great

1    4/11/2009   3/25/2010
Review By: SteveHalsell
Pros: This is a great course because of the local pros and Ken Climo started here, as has been stated in previous reviews. Based on this I was very excited to play this course. I have played North East Coachman a few times before I played this course. I might be harsh on this course because my expectations were very high and I was comparing it to Coachman. Based on that, I do have some good Pros and Cons.

- Great diversity of tee pad locations. At times, almost too much variety, but it will allow the most novice player to really enjoy their round.

- The course did a great job fitting into a compact area. There are some good long holes, but most are compact with a good variety of hyzer and anhyzer shots.

- The park seems quite popular and it's always nice not to be the only one around when you're playing.
Cons: There are a few things I didn't like about this course, but I will keep my bais out of the cons. I already told you that this course was a letdown for me, but I am still not sure how much of that was my expectation vs. the actual course.

- There are some hazzards to be aware of when you're going through your round. I played alone and I would have benefited from having a spotter with me.

- Not a lot of opportunities for facilities and water once you get into the course.
Other Thoughts: Overall this was a good course, but it will be awhile before I play it again. When I go to the Tampa area I try to either play a new course, or I just go back to Coachman. Coachman is just around the corner from this park and if you've got the time I would say fit both of them into your schedule.

Also, you must go to the Clearwater Disc Golf Store on US 19 & Sunset. It's minutes from both courses and it has a fantastic selection of discs. Every Innova, Discraft, and other brand with most any plastic and color selections. If they don't have it they will order it for you. Also, the staff here is a great resource for Disc Golf tips on playing (I have called them from Tallahassee to ask for disc recommendations), and they all know the local courses very well.

cliff stevens park clearwater fl

1    2/15/2010   2/16/2010
Review By: errwick
Pros: very nice course with lots water shots to test your skills with your driver and your medrange shots...and there are many alternate pin placements.The grass is cut low and there are paved sidewalk throught out the course.witch is a plus if you bring the kids like in did.
Cons: the course would be a lot nicer without the died fish an trash in the water.besides that its a clean course
Other Thoughts: make hole 16 little eazier to read from the pad, you see many baskets