Clearwater, FL
Cliff Stephens Park Share
Uploaded By: Scott L. Kuhns Hole #14 (Taken 9/2010)
3 / 204ft.   -- / --   3 / 321ft. Par / Distance:
Hole #14 Long Tee

Great Course!

5+    7/3/2011   7/10/2011
Review By: 45710
Pros: Great course! Mix of everything. Long holes, short holes, open holes, wooded holes, and plenty of water! Great tee's and basket. Multiple pin locations on almost every hole. Water fountains all through out the course so you dont get dehydrated.
Cons: If you dont like water then this might not be the best option for you. There is water everywhere, and there plenty of places to loose a disc(s) Not very good signs. Alot of them are broken or missing.
Other Thoughts: This is my home course. I love playing here whenever I get the chance!

Climo's Home Course

5+    5/3/2013   5/23/2011
Review By: RussMB
This review was updated on 6/1/2013
Pros: -Located in a nice city Park, and this is Ken Climo's home course.

-Tees & Baskets: Brand new, highly detailed signs, Maps, Distance, and next Tee info. Very nice tee signs; Concrete Pads, Practice basket at start, and Multiple Tees & alt pins.

-Porto's, Garbage cans, picnic tables and benches located throughout the park

-Mostly Flat with some nice variations in the terrain. Florida is primarily flat, so the somewhat hilly nature of the front 9 is a pleasant surprise.

-Billboard with map at the start. (Worth revisiting the map, when transitioning to hole #10)

-A beginner could play here, but it may become frustrating. Personally, I wouldn't recommend it. Beginners/Casual players will want to play the water hazards conservatively.

-The course plays through some sparse woods. The front 9 is open enough to offer multiple lines, but the trees will make you consider your throw and your line. The back 9 is more open with Water Hazzards,(be mindful of the gators) as well as longer distances. Most of the holes avg between 250-350. With 3 over 400ft, and one almost 700ft.

-The trees along the front 9 add offers nice shade to the park

-3 Bonus holes: Baskets A,B, and C are located between 16 and 17

-Great pin placements that offer up a nice challenge, with healthy distances.

-Front 9 is more strategic and in the woods, while the back 9 is in a more open area with longer distances.

-The water hazards offer a healthy risk/reward. From the long tees it's a straight water carry, from the shorts the water is more of a lateral hazard.

-The figure 8 layout, offers players a quick round on either the front or back 9 that both play back to the parking lot.

-The park was clean and very well maintained.

-This is a busy course; odds are that hooking up with a local shouldn't be an issue.

FWIW:
-Located very close to Clearwater Disc Golf store.
-The Path that runs along 1, 10, 17, and 18, will take you past Brighthouse Field to NE Coachman.
Cons: -(been drastically improved with the new signs) Navigation may have some issues if you are a first timer. I would still recommend printing off the map from this website before you play here. It can be easy to get turned around on your first visit.

-Walking paths weave through out the back 9, so make sure your shot is clear before throwing.

-This is also a park, so there can be other activities going on as well as park goers walking around the park. It is a really nice scenic park.
Other Thoughts: Clear Water has a variety of courses, offering something for everyone. Cliff Stephens is well worth your time if you are in the area. It will not disappoint! I really had a good time here, and I felt that I was given a fun and challenging experience. It's not terribly difficult, but it will still challenge you on accuracy and distance. There is a major differences in the long tees and the short tees. The Short tee's still offer a challenge, while the long tee's require much more accuracy at longer distances. Neither tee is exempt from water hazards! Water WILL be a factor! The water is more of a lateral hazard from the shorts, while the long tee's require a healthy water carry.

It's easy walking so footwear can be casual, and it's located in the middle of town where there are a bunch of restaurants and gas stations nearby. One problem that I did run into was with my GPS. According to Clearwater Discs, they told me that they put in new bridges and that they haven't updated the maps. So you may want to have a street map handy if you come to town.

Worth any Trip

2-4    1/24/2011   1/30/2011
Review By: smalcome
Pros: -Parking is good
-Nice Baskets
-Cement Tees in great shape
-Feet from basket painted on tee-pads
-Good variety of fairway shapes
-Am tees good for beginners
-A lot of nice local players, explained the layout, and after 3pm on a weekday a lot of seemingly legit-talented players showed up
Cons: -Porta Potty was in ROUGH shape, and the door was so bent and wrecked that i wouldn't recommend it's use by anyone except a dude going #1
-While the signs were in decent shape, there were quite a few missing. they should be mounted to STURDY posts and not made of breakable plastic.
-Due to the signs (and lack of) the loop after hole 16 (16A, B, C) was confusing until I found a nice local player to explain it
-I would like to see a well made map, clearly labeled in the course directory display instead of outdated tournament postings
Other Thoughts: Pretty much one of my favorite courses in FL. Sarasota has a course called Watertower Park that was also pretty challenging.

I'm not sure I'd call hole 1 a 'par 4'- but then again, since i threw a 2, I wasn't going to argue against my first ever eagle!

In summary, I wish i could play this course more often (i don't live in area) as I could feel my drive form already improving after just 2 rounds. All the fairways force you to keep your disc level and low- and the distances aren't so far that you try to force anything unrealistic. Also the hard-pack ground gave me a few nice skip shots and friendly fades.

Variety

1    8/31/2010   9/5/2010
Review By: owvanguard
Pros: Variety : 4 This course is very varied with option on most hole as to where to shoot.
Ease of finding course : 4
Fun factor : 5 This course is lots of fun
Cons: Ease of finding next hole : 2 Hole 1 info was gone
Pin and tee box quality : 2
Hole info : 2 Holes 16 and 17 are confusing on which pad to shoot from and toward which pin.
Lost disc recovery : 2 This course has several holes over or near water. The aligator 5 feet from me was exciting.
Other Thoughts: Layout : 3 Hole 2 had 3 differnt pins in place.
Terrain management : 3
Beginner friendly : 3

Gem of Tampa Bay

5+    8/11/2010   8/29/2010
Review By: zeppelin
This review was updated on 1/31/2011
Pros: Cliff Stephens Park!! The layouts are challenging, the multiple tees and alternate basket placements add variety and the location is scenic. Natural hazards include a creek, a lake, and large trees.
Cons: Maintenance issues are the cons. The signs need replacing, seeing the unpainted baskets can be a problem on cloudy days, and the public facilties are limited to a portajohn. The present condition of the park does not benefit this outstanding course.
Other Thoughts: Check out the three extra holes (A,B,C) located in the woods near #16 and the bike trail.

Well worth a visit

1    6/19/2010   7/15/2010
Review By: hyzerfool
Pros: Well designed course, makes good use of available land. Almost every hole forced a decision of some kind, either choosing which route to take, choosing how brave to be dealing with the water or trees, or both.

The back 9 is longer, hole 16 is an excellent hole, I thought clearly the best on the course.
Cons: Available land is a bit tight on the front 9, so some of the holes are pretty easy. That said, I don't believe there are any bad holes.
Other Thoughts: I'd heard about the course for years but have never had a chance to play it before. I'd only played 2 other courses in the area, The Canyon (an all time classic, but gone), and North Watertower (forgettable). I really enjoyed this course and, given the chance, would play it again.

I drove about 30 minutes out of my way to get to it and thought it well worth the drive.

A Beautfiul Course Worth the Visit

1    5/25/2010   5/27/2010
Review By: A.Mutt
Pros: + Excellent Teepads and Signs
+ Great Variety
+ Multiple Types of Challenges
+ Solid Flow of the Holes
+ Beautiful Scenery and Great Use of the Land to Create Hole Layouts
+ Fantastic Pro Shop Nearby (Clearwater Disc Golf Shop)
Cons: - Gators in Water Hazards (I personally dug this, but if you ended up with a disc in the water it'd certainly make you think more than twice about going in after it)
Other Thoughts: I genuinely wish I could play here more. While visiting a friend down in Sarasota recently I decided to make a trip up to Clearwater to check this course out and thought it was well worth the time.

I played from the long tees and didn't find the distances to be overwhelming, but rather quite appropriate for someone who has been playing for a while. The short tees looked to be great for someone new to the sport. A few of the holes were long enough and pins positioned in a way that you really had to think about your drive placement and not trying to reach the pin, which I love. Lots of water holes which was fun and intimidating at the same time, but mostly just fun. If there wasn't water there were lots of trees to work around and I appreciated the line shaping required.

I left Cliff Stephens Park happy and extremely glad that I was able to play it. If you live there I'm sure you already play this course. But if you're visiting the area and looking to get in some disc golf its well worth the visit.

Nice, but not great

1    4/11/2009   3/25/2010
Review By: SteveHalsell
Pros: This is a great course because of the local pros and Ken Climo started here, as has been stated in previous reviews. Based on this I was very excited to play this course. I have played North East Coachman a few times before I played this course. I might be harsh on this course because my expectations were very high and I was comparing it to Coachman. Based on that, I do have some good Pros and Cons.

- Great diversity of tee pad locations. At times, almost too much variety, but it will allow the most novice player to really enjoy their round.

- The course did a great job fitting into a compact area. There are some good long holes, but most are compact with a good variety of hyzer and anhyzer shots.

- The park seems quite popular and it's always nice not to be the only one around when you're playing.
Cons: There are a few things I didn't like about this course, but I will keep my bais out of the cons. I already told you that this course was a letdown for me, but I am still not sure how much of that was my expectation vs. the actual course.

- There are some hazzards to be aware of when you're going through your round. I played alone and I would have benefited from having a spotter with me.

- Not a lot of opportunities for facilities and water once you get into the course.
Other Thoughts: Overall this was a good course, but it will be awhile before I play it again. When I go to the Tampa area I try to either play a new course, or I just go back to Coachman. Coachman is just around the corner from this park and if you've got the time I would say fit both of them into your schedule.

Also, you must go to the Clearwater Disc Golf Store on US 19 & Sunset. It's minutes from both courses and it has a fantastic selection of discs. Every Innova, Discraft, and other brand with most any plastic and color selections. If they don't have it they will order it for you. Also, the staff here is a great resource for Disc Golf tips on playing (I have called them from Tallahassee to ask for disc recommendations), and they all know the local courses very well.

cliff stevens park clearwater fl

1    2/15/2010   2/16/2010
Review By: errwick
Pros: very nice course with lots water shots to test your skills with your driver and your medrange shots...and there are many alternate pin placements.The grass is cut low and there are paved sidewalk throught out the course.witch is a plus if you bring the kids like in did.
Cons: the course would be a lot nicer without the died fish an trash in the water.besides that its a clean course
Other Thoughts: make hole 16 little eazier to read from the pad, you see many baskets

just played this course

2-4    1/24/2010   1/26/2010
Review By: edwardnaylon
Pros: good variety of holes, nice course layout,
Cons: too much water and poor pin placement on the water holes,hole 16 was togh to find
Other Thoughts: lots of trash in the water, took away from the beauty of the course. One of the better courses we played in the area,