Kure Beach, NC
Joe Eakes Park Share
Uploaded By: yesiam Hole #15 (Taken 2/2011)

My type of course!

5+    1/2/2013   1/2/2013
Review By: Seahawk
Pros: This is a recently built course that I think should make almost everyone happy! The course is built on the state land on Pleasure Island and is in a spectacular place. You can actually glimpse the ocean (in the distance) at some places on the course! There is a nice gazebo, message board, and practice basket at the first hole. There is also a baseball field right next to the course which makes a wonderful place to practice throwing before or after playing. There is a bench on every hole, trashcans often, and the tees flow very logically. There are big signs with the distance, par, hole number, and a drawing of the general outline of the hole. The course is nicely maintained. There are multiple par 4s and a par 5. The best holes on this course are more likely to be subjective than other courses I have played, but I think most people would agree hole 4, very short par 3/ace opportunity, through a cool beach tree growing along the ground is the best. The best part about the course is that you are challenged to make a lot of different shots. Many holes have sharp curves, S curves, and other interesting factors.
Cons: The biggest problems on this course are caused by, as another reviewer put it, mother nature. There are actually warning signs for ticks. My personal experience was stumbling into chiggers and having about 30 bites on my legs. The guy I play with stumbled into ticks. I started using bug spray on my shoes and below my knees and have never had any more problems. Another one of my friends also had a close encounter (walked over it) with a copperhead. Be mindful of where you walk here! Another negative of this course is the wind. In most cases there is low wind and it isn't a problem, but due to its location the wind can sometimes/is more likely to be severe.

The other thing that I can think of that could have been done a little bit better is the drawing of the shot on the signs. It will give you a general idea of what you are doing but I would describe it as a cartoon representation, not a scaled diagram. Doesn't bother me because I never make a shot totally depending on a signs picture.
Other Thoughts: This is a subjective issue, but the tee pads are rubber. I personally don't think concrete would do as well here, due to the terrain being loose sand on many of the tees.

Beach Fun

5+    7/20/2012   7/22/2012
Review By: jeditden
This review was updated on 7/28/2012
Pros: -Holes 1, 9, 10, 15, and 16 are really professional style holes. Trees in jutst the right areas for you to get excited about weaving your disc through.
-Benches on every hole and garbage cans every few holes keeps your feet happy and garbage away
-Rubber tees are perfect for the beach. Sand on concrete could be dangerous. They are big and give you good grip.
-Front 9 are more open, then the back 9 have more woods to them, creating different feels for both.
-So close to the ocean, walk on down to the access and take a swim when you're done and cool off!
-Signs point you to the next tee after each basket.
Cons: -Some of the holes are pretty open with no shade. It gets hot and humid. Bring something to keep you hydrated!
-Ticks can be an issue. I use them as motivation to stay out of the rough...
-Being so close to the beach means it can get windy down there. Heed my warning and throw it low if you can hear the wind.
-Holes 7, and 8 are too similar to each other to be in a row. I know there was limited land to develop on. And I toss lefty anyway, so it works to my advantage.
Other Thoughts: This park is underrated in my opinion. I think being so close to Castle Hayne means people expect too much out of it sometimes. But I love it. It's off the beaten path, so it's never too busy. You are playing at the beach, which makes it so much different then most other courses out there. I think some alternate tees like they have recently added on Hole 6 can only make it better.

just beachy

5+    6/28/2012   7/2/2012
Review By: RK311
This review was updated on 12/19/2013
Pros: Unique
Fun
Challenging
Close to nice beach
Baskets in good shape
Clean
Drainage excellent
Cons: Needs more clearing in a few areas
Concrete tees would be nice, existing tees decent
A few minor safety hazards should be addressed
Ticks abundant in warm weather
Fairway lines on signs not accurate. 1st time through you should walk ahead and spot the basket on the many blind shots.

Other Thoughts: This course is definitely worth playing if you're in the area.

Great Course Quick play

5+    12/29/2013   6/18/2012
Review By: jordanferg92
This review was updated on 1/25/2014
Pros: 1. Signs have map, par, and distance
2. Large Rubber tees
3. Benches on all holes
4. Trashcans have been added
5. Practice basket
6. Playground
7. Good variety of holes
Cons: 1. Wind
2. Not much shade on this course
Other Thoughts: I don't get to play this course too often. Found that they have mulched around all of the baskets and added trash cans to some of the holes. I love seeing that there is a good disc golf community taking care of this course. Overall I love this course and always look forward to playing it. With so many pros and the cons all being caused by mother nature I can't help but give this course a high rating. This course allows for a couple ace runs as well as a few longer holes that if you mess up on your score will raise. Take some water and a towel because you're gonna be thirsty and dirty after playing this one. Deffinitely worth checking out. I also would recomend Castle Hayne and Bill smith (only a 9 hole) parks as well. Castle Hayne is for those more experienced players while Bill smith is more for beginners. Arrowhead is a newer course in the Wilmington area that is average and worth checking out.

Carolina DG Beach Party!

1    6/13/2012   6/15/2012
Review By: Upshawt1979
This review was updated on 7/15/2012
Pros: The Joe Eakes Park disc golf course is quite interesting, challenging, and unlike anything I can remember playing before. It is a very complete course, with plastic tee boxes (occasionally two tees per hole), tee signs, and set of 18 working baskets. The terrain is very sandy, and the trees are short, but crowd the twisty, narrow fairways and create thick, punishing gnarled masses of rough, low canopy. This is not always pleasant, but I include it as a pro because it establishes the unique nature of the environment, and adds a ton of difficulty. Overall, the course is on very flat land. I was totally frustrated, but highly respect and thoroughly enjoyed playing this course. Converging 9's allow you to play only the front or the back 9 without a lot of extra walking. Extremely clear of litter and other debris.
Cons: The tees boxes were hard plastic mats, good and level, but still less favorable to concrete for me. The tees signs were nice quality, but not always a accurate representation of the shapes of the many blind holes. Wind will often be a factor due to the ocean breezes, I suppose. This can subvert attempts to throw over the top of the numerous short trees and brush. Ticks must be a serious issue, because several signs posted advise checking often, and removing promptly.
Other Thoughts: I think this course is good in its current form, and surely worth playing. It could be made more friendly by clearing some of the fairways and greens a bit more, but removing all of the teeth would not be an improvement, in my opinion. The tee pads and signs could be better, and I think I would boost my rating by half a point if small changes were made closer to my ideal standards. I want to give this course a 4 just based on the difficulty and the unique nature of the place, but just can't do it. All in all, a good challenge for local disc golf enthusiasts, and a nice place to visit and play for all others. Very different course from what I am used to, and I would recommend it if you have a chance to get there.

5+    5/19/2012   5/19/2012
Review By: jeffe9062
This review was updated on 11/26/2012
Pros: Fun course! the low tree canopy offers extreme hyzer shots over the trees and because most of the course is sand they don't roll, like using a sand wedge.
Cons: Some of the greens need some more tree removal. Luck should have nothing to do with a 20 ft. putt. they need to do something about the ticks and chiggers.Course and hole/tee signs are weak and no OB markings
Other Thoughts: Glad to see a warm-up basket. (update) Some tree removal has been done much more playable. Went when it was windy lost a disc in that low canopy. Went after heavy rain course dries fast.

Kure Beach, Joe Eakes

5+    9/15/2011   1/15/2012
Review By: ColinB
Pros: Nice looking course centered around a small town park. Overall I'd say the course is on the shorter side and fairly technical. Lots of short-medium distance holes with a good variety of lefts and right, lots of trees, and some pretty tight fairways. All of the trees are fairly low and can be thrown over. A fun course to play as you don't need to be a power thrower to par, but you do need to be pretty accurate.
Cons: The sand makes for a different playing surface than most courses, preventing much of a skip and not providing very firm footing. Although the trees are very low, they are extremely thick and discs often get stuck in them, so don't forget to look up. On a windy day, it's hard to play this course as you have to stay pretty low to the fairway.
Other Thoughts: Tee pads aren't concrete, but that probably helps since it's so sandy. I do like that they have signs for each hole and most of them are great, but I feel that some of the signs slightly misrepresent the fairway or basket location. There's not much elevation change and no water hazards, but you can't really expect much of that when playing a course so close to the coast. As the signs on course suggest, watch out for ticks in warm months; I have found a few after playing this course.

On a good day....

1    11/13/2011   11/15/2011
Review By: BraveThrower43
Pros: Loved the idea for the rubber tee-pads with holes because i would imagine sliding on concrete pads due to sand may have been a problem.

The landscaping between holes and teepads made for a nice look for the course. if you are a backhand forehand only player and the wind is up the lines can be really tight and hard to hit making it a tough course(however not always the case, See below).

Nice signage from hole to hole and a course map Hole 1 the beginning.

#9 comes back to the parking lot

The Bugs/ticks were not a problem when I went.

Benches on every hole

Your at the Beach how can you complain too much!

Cons: On the day i went there was NO wind ,as a thumber thrower, I was able to just launch shots over the short trees and brush and not have to worry. I could imagine better players throwing huge hyzers over everything making this course really easy for them.

While the tee signs were nice I think they were kind of general and didn't really represent the hole well

The Brush on the sides can be thick and they eat discs. When you can't seem to find your disc......Look up!

reading other reviews and seeing a sign at hole 1 saying "beware of ticks" I would imagine that it is a major issue. However in the late fall/winter they are not as much of a problem.
Other Thoughts: This course was really interesting due to the fact that you are playing right next to the beach and all of the footing is pretty much loose sand. There are almost no skips and some of the shots you want to throw it low and see it skip but it won't happen. It was really fun to play and if you got off the fairway you had a job ahead getting out of the thick brush. had lots of fun playing this course!

My experience may be different than others who played this course in other conditions that had a much worse time but the day I played it was a PERFECT day for disc thus my experience at the course was not hindered by small issues.

I would suggest this time of year to play this course(if you can)

Beach Golf!!!

1    10/15/2011   10/15/2011
Review By: sloppydisc
Pros: 18 new baskets tucked into a cool little city park. Playground, fields, dog park etc.

Very well maintained course. Good signs that show distance and hole layout. Plastic pads at every hole. They work pretty well, but not perfectly.

Well defined fairways. There are a couple very tight areas around the course, but mostly the fairways are what the signs show, and lead you to the basket. Basket positions are set up pretty well considering there is ZERO elevation or water to add risk. They are mostly tucked in or behind the oaks to add some challenge.

Decent variety of left and right shots. A couple short shots are mixed in too. There is some decent length, but no real open holes. You'll want to carve this course up as opposed to bombarding it with power.

Disc golf near the beach. If you like the beach it is an added bonus. If you're like me and want to avoid the crowds at the beach then this course is for you. Either way it's nice to have around.
Cons: No open holes to really let loose. There are trees everywhere, and trouble if you are off the fairway.

Pads are probably good for a sandy location, but a few of them were pretty slick. Probably just the sand, and nothing can be done about that.

No elevation. No water. No overwhelming or memorable holes.

Wind. Sometimes nature sucks. This course is near the ocean and was damn windy when I played. I suspect that is normal. I tried to look on the bright side, and try to learn to play in the wind better. But it will change your game if you are not used to it. This could be considered a positive for some I guess.
Other Thoughts: Overall this is a nice little course. It looks like a great amount of time and effort has gone into it. It has very well made signs and is easy to navigate. Given the flatness of the land and the trees there the designed did a nice job adding some interesting twists and turns to the course. Even on the 150' #4 there was a very cool tree blocking the ace run to the basket. Nice for a 150 hole. Hole 15 with it's long fairway, listed at 480', was also a favorite of mine. There are several fairways that twist and turn rather than have one line to the basket. Disc control and line shaping are key here.

Others mentioned using thumbers and tomahawks here, but often the basket is tucked under the trees making an overhand approach a little risky. I found out how good those trees are at catching. Better than most baskets.

All in all this is a solid course. And since it is so different than almost all the North Carolina courses I've played I'd call it a must play if you're anywhere close.

Kure Beach

1    8/13/2011   8/14/2011
Review By: Citadelly
Pros: Easy to navigate from hole to hole

Technical course

A lot of the little details makes this course fun/exciting (stone pathways and outlining!)

Sitting area/bench at each tee box *Major Kudos*

*FREE* to play
Cons: Majority of the holes/pathways are in the sand

*Don't feed the TICKS*

Very narrow approach shots on a majority of the holes
Other Thoughts: Overall I enjoyed my experience at Kure Beach and would recommend others to play at this course. (If you've got enough time take the ferry across and play at Bill Smith Park in Oak Island, NC)