Kure Beach, NC
Joe Eakes Park Share
Uploaded By: Citadelly Hole #4 (Taken 8/2011)
3 / 155ft.   -- / -- Par / Distance:

A Close Second....

1    9/30/2013   9/30/2013
Review By: Nemmers
This review was updated on 11/1/2013
Pros: ....to Castle Hayne.

- Very challenging, great layout, and extremely well taken care of.

- Wide variety of holes. Some you can air it out on, but many are extremely technical. There are even a few holes with signs that say, "No overhead throws from tee." This adds another degree of difficulties as the holes that sport these signs seem ideal for a hammer or a tomahawk.

- Some tight fairways, but quite a few that allow you to open up and let 'er rip. Definitely a course worth checking out if you're looking to improve your accuracy.

- Solid baskets and tee boxes. Benches on every tee and the baskets still have the price tag on them.

- Exceptional layout. Whomever designed this course was obviously determined to challenge the players.
Cons: - Trees like to "eat" discs. Have had to shake my disc out of a treetop on more than one occasion. (But that's more my fault than the trees.) Errant shots can be punished very severely.

- If you've never played the course before, the maps on the tee boxes can be a bit misleading.

- No topless Hooters girls frolicking along the #8 fairway.
Other Thoughts: Having played all the courses in Wilmington, I have to put Joe Eakes at a close second to The Castle. It's a challenge and the area is very nice. If you're heading to the beach, do yourself a favor and remember your discs. You'll be glad you played this course.

A little longer than Arrowhead

2-4    9/14/2013   9/14/2013
Review By: Bowman101
Pros: -Longer drives than Arrowhead park(other course in Wilmington)
-Great use of space
-Away from other public utilities
-Lots of challenging throws
-good signage
Cons: -Not as friendly for beginners because of a lot of trees.
-sandy
-bugs
Other Thoughts: This is a great course. Arrowhead park is home course for me, but this would be second. One big thing unfortunately is that there are a lot of bugs. My buddy and I went and both had bad cases of the chiggers. So when yall want to play this course, bring bugspray and reapply constantly to prevent. Overall, good change of scenery and good course.

Wind, Sand, Trees

5+    6/5/2013   6/6/2013
Review By: jmw1121d1
Pros: Well Maintained course.

Unique course with beach sand and maritime forest. Also, unique for the area since most courses here are wooded with huge trees you can not throw over. This course gives you the chance to throw hyzer bombs and over hands quite a bit.

Nice little park, convenient parking, and course is pretty easy to find.

Has a practice basket

Fun Course that is not too long for recreational players.

Not my main course but I really have fun every time I come here to play.

Make it a beach and DG day and you will not regret it.

Completely different course if you choose to follow the fairway lanes under the trees rather than playing this course high which I think is kind of cool.
Cons: Very few trash cans.

Tee diagrams are very misleading. Walk ahead and find the basket before you throw or you will make some really bad shot choices

The double mando on 10? is really aweful. Overhead and to the right away from the left facing fairway is ridiculous. Also the bushes are growing over onto that tee pad making the tee pad really hard to play and reducing the space you have to make throws. As a lefty I end arm trough the bushes almost every time. Most annoying tee I have ever played.

The par rating on some of the holes is too forgiving for experienced players. Makes this course really easy sometimes. I shot 3 under last I played here. At the other longer course in town that I play everyday I shoot more like 8-10 over.

Bring bug spray the ticks can be really bad.

Sand on the tee pads makes some of the tees really slick. I almost went down twice. Not sure how they would even fix that since it is the beach but it is worth a mention.
Other Thoughts: This course has holes facing many different directions which means when the wind is up you will have holes with headwinds, tailwinds, hyzer facing crosswinds, hyzer against crosswinds all in the same round. Bring your wind discs or play the fairway lanes when it is windy.

If you cannot find a disc it is certainly stuck in a tree. These trees eat plastic. Do not give up on your discs keep looking up you will find them. I find discs every time I play here. Found three yesterday and now I gotta figure out how to get them all back to people.

I love throwing hyzer bombs and this course lets you throw a lot of them. I really enjoy playing here.

Keep it low

1    5/13/2013   5/28/2013
Review By: shocker22
Pros: Well laid out and beautiful scenery very technical course need to control the disc to get around the trees. The course map is laid out on a large board at hole one.
Cons: need to keep the disc low so as not to get into the scrub oak limbs. TICKS!!!! lots of bugs in the summer and spring months

The Sandbox

5+    3/18/2013   3/23/2013
Review By: nalu222
Pros: In my opinion this is a very fun course to play. The course makes good use of the land with what resources were provided. It has a balance of short technical holes and lengthy ones you can really let your disc air out on. All tees and baskets are clearly marked and have a natural flow. The sand all but eliminates skip shots and the beach wind forces you to play the course by keeping it under the tree line. It is rarely crowded probably due to its remoteness. Signature hole is that little par 3 with the tree. And hardest put is on hole nine, good luck with the wind... Overall its a great course for players of all skill levels.
Cons: Ticks. Jiggers. Cops. And lately I have been tripping on alot of roots and stumps in the fairways.
Other Thoughts: What is up with all the mandos? I dont think its fair to those with long distance capabilities. Also the keep it the right mando on the par 5 seems unnecessary.

My type of course!

5+    1/2/2013   1/2/2013
Review By: Seahawk
Pros: This is a recently built course that I think should make almost everyone happy! The course is built on the state land on Pleasure Island and is in a spectacular place. You can actually glimpse the ocean (in the distance) at some places on the course! There is a nice gazebo, message board, and practice basket at the first hole. There is also a baseball field right next to the course which makes a wonderful place to practice throwing before or after playing. There is a bench on every hole, trashcans often, and the tees flow very logically. There are big signs with the distance, par, hole number, and a drawing of the general outline of the hole. The course is nicely maintained. There are multiple par 4s and a par 5. The best holes on this course are more likely to be subjective than other courses I have played, but I think most people would agree hole 4, very short par 3/ace opportunity, through a cool beach tree growing along the ground is the best. The best part about the course is that you are challenged to make a lot of different shots. Many holes have sharp curves, S curves, and other interesting factors.
Cons: The biggest problems on this course are caused by, as another reviewer put it, mother nature. There are actually warning signs for ticks. My personal experience was stumbling into chiggers and having about 30 bites on my legs. The guy I play with stumbled into ticks. I started using bug spray on my shoes and below my knees and have never had any more problems. Another one of my friends also had a close encounter (walked over it) with a copperhead. Be mindful of where you walk here! Another negative of this course is the wind. In most cases there is low wind and it isn't a problem, but due to its location the wind can sometimes/is more likely to be severe.

The other thing that I can think of that could have been done a little bit better is the drawing of the shot on the signs. It will give you a general idea of what you are doing but I would describe it as a cartoon representation, not a scaled diagram. Doesn't bother me because I never make a shot totally depending on a signs picture.
Other Thoughts: This is a subjective issue, but the tee pads are rubber. I personally don't think concrete would do as well here, due to the terrain being loose sand on many of the tees.

Beach Fun

5+    7/20/2012   7/22/2012
Review By: jeditden
This review was updated on 7/28/2012
Pros: -Holes 1, 9, 10, 15, and 16 are really professional style holes. Trees in jutst the right areas for you to get excited about weaving your disc through.
-Benches on every hole and garbage cans every few holes keeps your feet happy and garbage away
-Rubber tees are perfect for the beach. Sand on concrete could be dangerous. They are big and give you good grip.
-Front 9 are more open, then the back 9 have more woods to them, creating different feels for both.
-So close to the ocean, walk on down to the access and take a swim when you're done and cool off!
-Signs point you to the next tee after each basket.
Cons: -Some of the holes are pretty open with no shade. It gets hot and humid. Bring something to keep you hydrated!
-Ticks can be an issue. I use them as motivation to stay out of the rough...
-Being so close to the beach means it can get windy down there. Heed my warning and throw it low if you can hear the wind.
-Holes 7, and 8 are too similar to each other to be in a row. I know there was limited land to develop on. And I toss lefty anyway, so it works to my advantage.
Other Thoughts: This park is underrated in my opinion. I think being so close to Castle Hayne means people expect too much out of it sometimes. But I love it. It's off the beaten path, so it's never too busy. You are playing at the beach, which makes it so much different then most other courses out there. I think some alternate tees like they have recently added on Hole 6 can only make it better.

just beachy

5+    6/28/2012   7/2/2012
Review By: RK311
This review was updated on 12/19/2013
Pros: Unique
Fun
Challenging
Close to nice beach
Baskets in good shape
Clean
Drainage excellent
Cons: Needs more clearing in a few areas
Concrete tees would be nice, existing tees decent
A few minor safety hazards should be addressed
Ticks abundant in warm weather
Fairway lines on signs not accurate. 1st time through you should walk ahead and spot the basket on the many blind shots.

Other Thoughts: This course is definitely worth playing if you're in the area.

Great Course Quick play

5+    12/29/2013   6/18/2012
Review By: jordanferg92
This review was updated on 1/25/2014
Pros: 1. Signs have map, par, and distance
2. Large Rubber tees
3. Benches on all holes
4. Trashcans have been added
5. Practice basket
6. Playground
7. Good variety of holes
Cons: 1. Wind
2. Not much shade on this course
Other Thoughts: I don't get to play this course too often. Found that they have mulched around all of the baskets and added trash cans to some of the holes. I love seeing that there is a good disc golf community taking care of this course. Overall I love this course and always look forward to playing it. With so many pros and the cons all being caused by mother nature I can't help but give this course a high rating. This course allows for a couple ace runs as well as a few longer holes that if you mess up on your score will raise. Take some water and a towel because you're gonna be thirsty and dirty after playing this one. Deffinitely worth checking out. I also would recomend Castle Hayne and Bill smith (only a 9 hole) parks as well. Castle Hayne is for those more experienced players while Bill smith is more for beginners. Arrowhead is a newer course in the Wilmington area that is average and worth checking out.

Carolina DG Beach Party!

1    6/13/2012   6/15/2012
Review By: Upshawt1979
This review was updated on 7/15/2012
Pros: The Joe Eakes Park disc golf course is quite interesting, challenging, and unlike anything I can remember playing before. It is a very complete course, with plastic tee boxes (occasionally two tees per hole), tee signs, and set of 18 working baskets. The terrain is very sandy, and the trees are short, but crowd the twisty, narrow fairways and create thick, punishing gnarled masses of rough, low canopy. This is not always pleasant, but I include it as a pro because it establishes the unique nature of the environment, and adds a ton of difficulty. Overall, the course is on very flat land. I was totally frustrated, but highly respect and thoroughly enjoyed playing this course. Converging 9's allow you to play only the front or the back 9 without a lot of extra walking. Extremely clear of litter and other debris.
Cons: The tees boxes were hard plastic mats, good and level, but still less favorable to concrete for me. The tees signs were nice quality, but not always a accurate representation of the shapes of the many blind holes. Wind will often be a factor due to the ocean breezes, I suppose. This can subvert attempts to throw over the top of the numerous short trees and brush. Ticks must be a serious issue, because several signs posted advise checking often, and removing promptly.
Other Thoughts: I think this course is good in its current form, and surely worth playing. It could be made more friendly by clearing some of the fairways and greens a bit more, but removing all of the teeth would not be an improvement, in my opinion. The tee pads and signs could be better, and I think I would boost my rating by half a point if small changes were made closer to my ideal standards. I want to give this course a 4 just based on the difficulty and the unique nature of the place, but just can't do it. All in all, a good challenge for local disc golf enthusiasts, and a nice place to visit and play for all others. Very different course from what I am used to, and I would recommend it if you have a chance to get there.