Course Extinct
Oceanside, CA
Center City @ Goat Hill Share
Uploaded By: Danger Hole #4 (Taken 4/2011)

The Road Less Travelled

1    10/29/2013   11/1/2013
Review By: Magiken
Pros:
Strategic shot making
Nice views/surroundings
Tees are decent (rubber mat variety) with good to great signage
Baskets are fine and pretty easy to spot
Easy to find. Fairly easy to navigate
Golf carts!
Water/restrooms
Warm-up area
Cons:
A couple signs are missing/vandalized
One or two tee pad locations are missing or hard to find
Tips:
Get the cart
On #12: That tee pad you see down the hill and out in the open is the one you're looking for, but since you're likely standing on the elevated ball golf tee pad, I say let fly!
Get the cart

Random Thoughts:
I must say this was one of the truly unique experiences I've had in disc golf. I expected this course to be alongside the ball golf course. WRONG. It's ON the course, or rather, it shares the course. It was a bit of a strange feeling to stand there on the #1 tee pad and throw a disc versus swing a club but I was smiling the whole time. I'll also confess that I expected to get my butt kicked out here. I played the back tees, and have you looked at those distances?! But what I'll say this course did for me is it got me thinking about every shot. You may be tempted to just wing it because it's fairly open, as disc courses go, but you better remember how far you have to go to get par. These are earned pars for this here intermediate player. I also really liked the elevation changes out here. I feel like an elevation change can be just as difficult an obstacle as a tree. Like I said, it really gets you thinking about the entire shot and how you want to be set-up for your next shot, and I'm happy to report that I did pretty well out there.

Now you probably want to know what it's like to share the course with the ball golfers, and well, I can't really say. I went right after a storm first thing in the morning so there were only two ball golf groups in front of me and none behind. Believe it or not though, I actually kept pace with the one guy in front of me. Between him losing a ball (or 12) and me having a pretty good throwing day, we got into a nice rhythm. I will say though that one ball did go bouncing past me at one point to remind me where I was. I have no idea where it came from. You should know that this is a pretty basic muni-style course so it will attract more of a beginner-type ball golfer. So yea, keep your head on a swivel.

Bottom Line:
I love that they did this. Granted, they're probably just chasing a bit more revenue but who cares, it's a really cool idea that I think works. The only downside was the cart immediately spoiled me for my subsequent rounds on other courses in the area. The other cool thing I'd like to report is that I was a foot from driving the green on 18. Yea, yea, I'm getting a 'who cares' from some of you looking at a slightly downhill 447' hole and saying 'I could do that'. I just think it's cool to be able to say I drove a green on a ball golf course with my arm and a piece of plastic. Great times!

Goat Hill rocks!

1    7/24/2013   7/24/2013
Review By: templink
Pros: Very cool course that plays on bolf course. Fast greens and mostly open fairways. Golf carts for rental are a must!! Cool driving around in the cart. Lots of elevation changes and good winds. Tons of opportunities to air out long drives. Pro shop on site sells discs and drinks.
Difficult to lose a disc here. Nine par 4s.
Cons: It would be rather tiring to walk the whole thing. Definitely rent a cart. Even with a cart, our round of 18 took just over 3 hours, so plan ahead.
NO DISC GOLF ON SATURDAYS!!!!!
Other Thoughts: Excellent course due to design challenges, elevation changes, and unique long shots. Cart rental is a must. Would definitely play again next time in SoCal.

Cow Pasture

1    12/27/2012   1/17/2013
Review By: Corvallischarlie
Pros: Nice setting, long distance, friendly staff
Cons: distance is nice but there is no challenge to throw it as far as you can. Not technical at all, all the holes are easy, just long. If you use a cart and they have to stay on the cart path you will be walking a lot.
Other Thoughts: pay to play

Closed to disc golfers on Saturdays!!!

2-4    9/22/2012   9/23/2012
Review By: Spmurphy23
Pros: This is a fun course to play because it is so long. You need a cart or else you'll be walking way too much. It is a serious disc golf outing.
Cons: CLOSED ON SATURDAYS TO DISC GOLFERS!!!! I could not believe it. I have heard them say that if it wasn't for disc golfers they would not be able to stay open. Well now they are alienating disc golfers by not allowing us to play on Saturdays. Oh, and I have met some rude workers there.
Other Thoughts: Pay to play!

special occasion

5+    8/14/2012   8/15/2012
Review By: adazm
Pros: super fun long long course. tons of legit par 4s that you would like to birdie, but takes 3 really good shots to pull off.
golf carts are always fun!
pretty very wide open layout. baskets ARE pleasantly challenging in that they are guarded by trees or difficult putts with punishing drop offs.
if you have a long roller, which i dont, you can do some serious damage to your opponents.
if playing certain cart paths as OB, is a much harder layout.
the winds are consistently off the ocean, adding to the challenge without being "random".
Cons: not cheap. 10 bucks with a cart, which you will almost certainly want to rent.
Other Thoughts: i would not come here for a "casual" round. yet is a fun outing, especially in the summer when most places are blistering hot, while this one is mildly warm at most!

Hiking Goat Hill

5+    5/7/2012   7/2/2012
Review By: Rugball
Pros: Excellent course to air out your warp speed discs. Can be windy, adding to the challenge. They provide printed scorecards with pin positions corresponding to their letter on the tee sign, though you may run into a mismatched location from time to time. The locations aren't rotated too frequently, but often enough if you don't play every week. Excellent elevation changes, hence the name "Goat Hill." Nice shady tree-lined fairways, but the trees don't factor into your shots all that much.
Cons: minor quibble since you do have to pay a few $$ to play. I think it's a very fair price though as it's not a public park so you never encounter pedestrians. Very few ace run opportunities here due to the length. Sometimes slow with groups of hackers, but they're generally cool about letting you play through. A number of holes have a long gap from the basket to the next tee. Several holes have fenced off (with barbed wire on some) OB. If you shank one over the fence, good luck getting your disc back.
Other Thoughts: Working man's golf course. No "collared shirt required" signs here. Friendly staff that welcome you onto their ball golf course. Having played ball golf here many time over the years, it was an interesting change switching to DG. Nice having the option to rent a cart, though I've only walked it for DG. Just be prepared to be out there for up to 3 hours. Should go without saying that this course is not for newbies or children simply because it is LONG.

1    6/20/2012   6/21/2012
Review By: MightyJeff
Pros: -Oh. So. Long. This is the kind of course your Nukes or Bosses or Rampages were made for. You'll probably get to use them twice on most holes. Almost every hole is looking for a bomb of a drive, and you should take the opportunity to just rip it without worrying about your plastic getting lost in the trees, as there really aren't any of consequence.
-Phenomenal incorporation of disc golf tees and baskets into an established ball golf course. Hey ball golf course pros! Take a trip to Oceanside to see how it's done!
-The course wasn't too crowded with either ball golfers or disc golfers, and for some reason I got the sense that the flow of the course doesn't allow for much in the way of players getting in the way of each other too much
-The course pros get it. I was expecting to deal with snooty course pros that would sigh with arrogance when I said I wanted to pay for a round of DISC golf, but they very much have an attitude of "we're all golfers", and there isn't much prejudice against our kind there. I guess I was the one that was prejudiced...
-It's really fun to be able to take a golf cart for a round of disc golf. Although hiking through beautiful parks is a big part of what makes disc golf so great, Goat Hill offers a nice break from the norm and allows discers to cut loose and relax on a cart while traveling between lies.
Cons: -You'll pay for that comfort. I paid $14 for a round of 18 holes with a cart. Pretty standard (I think) for ball golf, but this was the first round of disc golf I ever paid for. Worth it, but I couldn't do it regularly if I lived in the area.
-The wind was almost more challenging than the distance here. I guess that's what you get when you play disc golf in a town called "Oceanside" that is, in fact, on the ocean. Prepare to be humbled by erratic putts.
Other Thoughts: What a pleasure it was to play here. I never really thought it was possible for disc golfers and ball golfers to see eye to eye, but when we meet them at Goat Hill, we're all just after the lowest score on our cards. If you're in the Orange County/San Diego County area, do yourself a favor and stop by. One of the more fun disc golfing experiences I've had.

Goat Hill

5+    5/20/2012   5/22/2012
Review By: Whitter
Pros: HUGE. This place is very long but when you figure your shots out(rollers are a must) then the course becomes totally manageable. It is a great place to learn to throw properly to get the distance or you can just shoot from the close tee's witch are of really good quality. The baskets are nice and they also have a practice area that also has variations in elevation. The elevation changes are incredibly fun. If you like to watch the flight of a disc then this is your place with holes one, three and eight teen being especially fun to throw. I know seeing all the elevation changes that it seems to hard to walk but I walk it once or twice a a week and it does not bother me a bit, in fact i really rather walk because of how nice the grounds are with a nice on shore breeze from the ocean and with two or more red tail hawks holding up residence to watch there, it is a really nice relaxing walk.
Cons: Weekends can be crowded with a round maybe lasting up to three hours depending on the size of your group witch dictates your ability to play through.
Other Thoughts: Even if you greatly prefer wooded courses to open this course still holds a challenge worth experiencing. With greatly varying wind conditions and a lot of roll away putt potential this place is no gimme. With a cart it is $12, $6 to walk on the weekends, and $4 to walk during the week. They switch up the basket placements often so the course remains somewhat fresh. If you like it enough there are monthly tournaments to play in.

2nd Longest Course

2-4    9/4/2011   9/22/2011
Review By: DocHaole
Pros: - A brand new monster of a course located on a ball golf course. Goat Hill offers a brutal but fun combination of length, elevation and wind.

- The DG course basically plays along with the ball golf course. And at times it feels more like playing ball golf with legitimate par 4s. And similar to ball golf most holes you just want to get your drive as far out onto the fairway as possible.

- The course is relatively deserted, even on weekends. Even with the ball golfers there isn't much in the way of waiting around.

- By disc golf standards the course is in excellent condition. Clean open fairways and well marked tee signs. Tees and Baskets are in great shape.

- The biggest pro in my opinion is that it gives you more chances to air it out on almost every hole. Not only do you go for max distance off the tee but on many of the longer holes it takes 2 monster shots to get there.
Cons: - Navigation can be really tricky. It follows a logical flow with the ball golf course but the holes are really spread out.

- Not a course for beginners. I can't imagine how frustrating it would be to play here without a +350' drive. You could do it, but it will be a long day.
Other Thoughts: I have never played anything like Goat Hill. The distance required totally changes your approach. Most holes require 2 well placed long shots and a good putt to get a birdie. And even the par 3s are far from what you would consider a short gimme.

I would highly recommend getting the cart for your first time out here. And don't just get the map, get a local guide for this one. I played for the first time during the montly (first Sunday of the month) and I am very glad I did.

This course is a must see for any local or road trip. But plan for 2-3 hours, it can take a while.

The Challenge at Goat Hill

5+    7/3/2011   7/15/2011
Review By: patdb23
Pros: Goat Hill is the newest addition to Socal disc golf. This monster 9,612ft par 63 course is located on Center City golf course in beautiful Oceanside with 9 par 4s. The course plays very long in open straight fairways with baskets on elevated hilltops with spectacular views. The dynamics of this course will force your game to make strategic placement drives to get you ready for 2nd or 3rd fairway approach shots to the basket. Wind is a major factor that comes into play when throwing 350+ drives and fairway shots. Knowing how your disc will fly in headwinds, tailwinds, and crosswinds is crucial. There is a good mix of elevation with several shots downhill, including hole 1 at 700ft+, while other shots play across bowls with baskets on elevated hills. Many of the baskets do finish on the right additionally challenging right handed players to cleverly place their approach shot to get in range for a birdie or par save.

There's never really any wait on the holes and golfers rarely ever get in the way. Some will let you pass while playing on the same hole as the baskets are placed away from greens. There are no water hazards, and there is only one sand bunker but that won't come into play (unless you have an errant shot).

There is a pro shop that will take tee times but walkups are always welcome. The staff is extremely friendly and welcomes disc golfers to the course. Sport drinks, snacks, BBQ hotdogs & burgers are available and adult beverages. Carts are also available, and I highly recommend getting one, as if 9,612ft is not long enough, and some of the holes have long walks in between the next tee. Plus after walking up and down hilltops, your body will thank you as you get around hole12 after 2hrs of play with 6 holes to go.

What I liked most about the course is that it introduced me to a new way of playing disc golf rather than just driving to the basket. This course allowed me to work on long range tee drives and placement fairway drives. Placement drive shots are critical to put you in position in flat open areas to throw the next 300ft fairway shot. With the long open fairways, I really got to work on my long range game, and can really unleash the disc. I go back to Morley Field throwing a lot of midranges now.

New tee pads are now installed and they did a really good job as most are very flat and level. Just had the first PDGA event here in July '11, and new pin locations were used in one round. Hope to see if these positions will be interchanged throughout the month. Monthlies are scheduled 1st Sunday of the month and a good crowd shows up.
Cons: This is not a course for beginners. Some of the holes can get a little repetitive throwing 300ft+ fairway shots over and over. There is some mix with the elevation but walking up and down those hills will work your legs. Most ball golfers have been very receptive to disc golf players; however there are a few golfers that probably feel we are treading on their course. The course meanders around and you can feel lost at times but hole #9 takes you back to the pro shop for a quick break. I recommend having a map first time out to keep track of where you're going and where you been. Tee signs have not been installed yet, but look for yellow flag poles with numbers on them.
Other Thoughts: If you are looking for a pro level course that requires long range drives, and accurate fairway shots, and you don't mind spending the extra money to get a cart, then the Goat will provide a unique challenge to the most avid disc golfer.